NicBase 3.0--any newer ver?

Gustavus Vasa

Jun 19, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/19/95
Is there any newer version of NicBase 3.0? As a registered user, I
could upgrade if there is, only if it has superior features (like maybe
color and a true Windows format with context sensitive Help and a
User's Manual written in English that someone other than the designer
of NB could understand)...

Is NicBase dead, and "long live PGN" ???!!!

--GV

halibut

Jun 19, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/19/95
Steve Mayer (sma...@netcom.com) wrote:

: I think they lost their development team a couple of years ago, though
: that doesn't explain why a 4.0 wasn't done through a third party.
: NicBase seems esstially dead. Does anyone from Nic care to comment?

Gee. And after they sliced up their databases so nicely, in 600
game increments ($19 per 600 games). What a shame.

Al Cargill

Jun 20, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/20/95

I asked this question a couple of months back and came to the
conclusion that 3.0 was the end of the line and switched to Chess
Assistant. I think the Nicbase developers moved away and are
responsible for TASCbase but as there seemed no info on wether it
would be available as an upgrade from Nicbase I switched!

Al

Steve Mayer

Steven J. Edwards

Jun 21, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/21/95
Al Cargill <A...@alcarg.demon.co.uk> writes:

>In article <3s4niu$3...@aimnet.aimnet.com> va...@aimnet.com "Gustavus Vasa" writes:

>> Is there any newer version of NicBase 3.0? As a registered user, I
>> could upgrade if there is, only if it has superior features (like maybe
>> color and a true Windows format with context sensitive Help and a
>> User's Manual written in English that someone other than the designer
>> of NB could understand)...
>>

>> Is NicBase dead, and "long live PGN" ???!!!

>I asked this question a couple of months back and came to the
>conclusion that 3.0 was the end of the line and switched to Chess
>Assistant. I think the Nicbase developers moved away and are
>responsible for TASCbase but as there seemed no info on wether it
>would be available as an upgrade from Nicbase I switched!

I can't speak about either NICbase or TASCbase, but they, like any
other vendor, are welcome to incorporate PGN support into their
products. There is no fee, of course; no license or trade secrets
either.

-- Steven (s...@mv.mv.com)

Nicolo de Groot

Jun 25, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/25/95
In article <smayerDA...@netcom.com>, sma...@netcom.com (Steve Mayer) writes:
|> Gustavus Vasa (va...@aimnet.com) wrote:
|> : Is there any newer version of NicBase 3.0? As a registered user, I

|> : could upgrade if there is, only if it has superior features (like maybe
|> : color and a true Windows format with context sensitive Help and a
|> : User's Manual written in English that someone other than the designer
|> : of NB could understand)...
|>
|> I think they lost their development team a couple of years ago, though
|> that doesn't explain why a 4.0 wasn't done through a third party.
|> NicBase seems esstially dead. Does anyone from Nic care to comment?
|>
|> -Steve
Well I'm not working for NIC, but I do pass by their office whenever I'm in
Holland and talked them into joining the Internet (n...@xs4all.nl). They did
loose their development team (Hans and Nico Kuijf) and not much was done for
a year. They started working with Ed Schroeder of REBEL 6.0 and have a team
together. I have played with a first alpha release of what should become the
next NicBase. I looks good, but it will take a while until the final release.
Maybe they want to make it Windows '95 compatible :-)

Meanwhile I'm working on a game viewer in TkTcl + C++. It will have PGN and
NicBase file support, will be free and available on other platforms. The
code is still in a mess, so don't hold you breath. Also Tk 4.0 needs some
time to settle down, and the Mac port of Tk is still not ready.

Nicolo

mike brent

Jul 9, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/9/95
Nicolo de Groot <nic...@na47sun19.cern.ch> writes:

>Well I'm not working for NIC, but I do pass by their office whenever I'm in
>Holland and talked them into joining the Internet (n...@xs4all.nl). They did
>loose their development team (Hans and Nico Kuijf) and not much was done for
>a year. They started working with Ed Schroeder of REBEL 6.0 and have a team
>together. I have played with a first alpha release of what should become the

Thanks for the information and Nicbase's internet address. I still use
Nicbase 3.0 everyday and I think it is a very good program.