ChessBase, ChessAssistant and NicBase

Richard Reich

Dec 2, 1994, 10:44:26 PM12/2/94
The findcopy feature of CA is its weakest link. Very slow, and not
particularly good at finding doubles. On 100,000 + game database with about
2000 doubles, NB took about 20 minutes to find [most] of the doubles. CA,
on the same database converted to CA format [which actually favors CA since
games with annotations were stripped to bare game scores by the nic2ca.exe],
findcopy took 28 hours to find fewer doubles. This is on a 486-66mhz with 16
MB RAM and 256K cache. I remove doubles on a gamefile with NicTools, then
convert to CA to use its much faster position finder, and the ChessTree
function [the latter unavailable on NB].
I have CB4, but personally use it
seldom, as I find NB and CA much more intuitive to use. I have read many
reviews of all 3 of these programs, by the way, that were critical of this
or that feature, when the problem was the author's unfamiliarity with the
program. One example is complaints about the scrolling speed of NicBase.
[Naturally, the author just happens to sell ChessBase.] This can be
adjusted, but the author didn't realize it. All 3 programs have good and
bad features. [I do not have CB for Windows, and do not plan to buy it
based on past service problems with CB USA.]

Philip L. Peterson

Dec 4, 1994, 12:52:37 AM12/4/94
Richard Reich (rmr...@facstaff.wisc.edu) wrote:
: The findcopy feature of CA is its weakest link. Very slow, and not
: particularly good at finding doubles. On 100,000 + game database with about
: 2000 doubles, NB took about 20 minutes to find [most] of the doubles. CA,
: on the same database converted to CA format [which actually favors CA since
: games with annotations were stripped to bare game scores by the nic2ca.exe],
: findcopy took 28 hours to find fewer doubles. This is on a 486-66mhz with 16
: MB RAM and 256K cache. I remove doubles on a gamefile with NicTools, then
: convert to CA to use its much faster position finder, and the ChessTree
: function [the latter unavailable on NB].

Ahhh, but don't forget Richard, if your database is in notational order
it speeds up the process.

I just ran Findcopy on 180,000 games and it took about 25 minutes on a 386.

Unfortunatly, if your base isn't in notational order, it takes quite a
while to get it that way. However, once it is, it is a simple process to
re-save it that way as you add games, and then run FindCopy.

After having said as much, I will admit that FindCopy is the weakest
aspect of Chess Assistant.

Urban Koistinen

Dec 4, 1994, 12:13:19 PM12/4/94
In <rmreich.20...@facstaff.wisc.edu> rmr...@facstaff.wisc.edu (Richard Reich) writes:

:The findcopy feature of CA is its weakest link. Very slow, and not

:particularly good at finding doubles. On 100,000 + game database with about
:2000 doubles, NB took about 20 minutes to find [most] of the doubles. CA,
:on the same database converted to CA format [which actually favors CA since
:games with annotations were stripped to bare game scores by the nic2ca.exe],
:findcopy took 28 hours to find fewer doubles. This is on a 486-66mhz with 16
:MB RAM and 256K cache. I remove doubles on a gamefile with NicTools, then
:convert to CA to use its much faster position finder, and the ChessTree
:function [the latter unavailable on NB].

I have written a limited but much faster findcopy routine.
On my 25MHz 486SX with 8M checked 350K games in 5 minutes.
The limitation is that it can not be used to find games that are
a prefix of another game.
I have sent it to Inform Systems in Moscow so it might be used
in future versions of findcopy.

[text deleted]
--
Urban Koistinen - md85...@nada.kth.se
Stop software patents, interface copyrights: contact l...@uunet.uu.net

Philip L. Peterson

Dec 5, 1994, 9:59:27 AM12/5/94

> I have a question regarding CA, and I was wondering if
> you could answer it for me. I am looking for a
> database that will support desktop publishing; i.e.,
> one that can generate diagrams that I can use from
> within a word processor to develope newsletters, etc.
> Does CA have such a function, and how good is it? What
> other materials does one need to do so?

Chess Assistant is extremely strong in this area. The program comes with
True Type Fonts for good diagrams and figurine notation.

I will typically export my Chess Assistant data as an .RTF file, and
import it into either PageMaker or Microsoft Word. (I am currently
editing a book by John Donaldson on the Accelarted Dragon using this
method, and produces great results).

I believe this is what Eric Schiller is using to do his books, as well.

The program will also print directly to your printer, though the diagrams
and figurine are not as attractive to my eye.

One problem with this route, is that WordPerfect for Windows does not
correctly accept .rtf importation.

Jeff Towers

Dec 8, 1994, 1:00:59 AM12/8/94
Philip L. Peterson (p...@halcyon.halcyon.com) wrote:

> > database that will support desktop publishing; i.e.,

> > Does CA have such a function, and how good is it? What
> > other materials does one need to do so?

... material deleted

> Chess Assistant is extremely strong in this area. The program comes with

> One problem with this route, is that WordPerfect for Windows does not
> correctly accept .rtf importation.

I phoned WordPerfect to try to report it, but after... I got to an
WP operator, he needed a number that I didn't have since we are
site licenced. I never got through the red tape.

Jeff

Philip L. Peterson

Dec 9, 1994, 9:36:36 AM12/9/94
: I phoned WordPerfect to try to report it, but after... I got to an
: WP operator, he needed a number that I didn't have since we are
: site licenced. I never got through the red tape.

We tried to convince them that they should treat .rtf files like the rest
of the known universe, but we had no luck.