Virtua Chess and E. Bacrot at Megeve Grand Prix

Marc-Francois Baudot

Jul 11, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/11/95

Puting a close to the "Kasparov University", the Grand Prix
de Megeve (France), 11 games, 25mn/player was held on July
8/9. The first French player was to be qualified for the
Lautier was not playing, so it was not clear at all who would
be the lucky one. Everybody's favorite for first place
was Anatoly Vaisser, who indeed won the tournament. But the
first French "entity", much to the surprise of the organisers,
was the program Virtua Chess, running on a Pentium 120.
Virtua Chess lost to Vaisser, but beat Conquest who finished 2nd.

It is strange that some programs were just invited to these
PCA events, and when they have proved they were worthy competitors
(I think about Genius of course...), programs who fulfill
qualifying requirements are not allowed to participate!
Anyway, the next French entity was the 12 y old Etienne Bacrot, and
he's the one who will go to the PCA event, since he has the advantage
of being human.

Final standings :

1. Vaisser Anatoly, IGM 2555 (perf : 2636) 8.5/11
Conquest Stuart, IGM 2520 (perf : 2590) 8.5/11

3. Virtua Chess, computer (perf : 2605) 8/11
Bacrot Etienne, FM 2395 (perf : 2542) 8/11
Flear Glenn, IGM 2480 (perf : 2536) 8/11
Relange Eloi, IM 2455 (perf : 2517) 8/11

7. Mrdja Milan, IM 2435 (perf : 2517) 7.5/11

Marc-Francois Baudot

Damien Andre

Jul 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/12/95
In article <3tv09m$m...@sheckley.cnam.fr>

m...@cnam.cnam.fr (Marc-Francois Baudot) writes:
> Anyway, the next French entity was the 12 y old Etienne Bacrot, and
> he's the one who will go to the PCA event, since he has the advantage
> of being human.

Isn't Vaisser considered as french ?
If it's really the case, why isn't he qualified fro the PCA Grand Prix

---
Damien...@fundp.ac.be