Zarkov 3.0?

Kevin Gowen

Dec 17, 1993, 11:05:27 PM12/17/93
Maybe someone like Eric Schiller or someone else in the know can answer
this question for me:

I am a registered user of Zarkov 2.6. I keep seeing references to Zarkov
3.0 mentioned here on the net, but as of yet I have received no upgrade
information from Chess Laboratories. Before I spend money on a long
distance phone call, does anyone have any reliable information on where
and/or when and I can purchase an upgrade?

-kevin
kgo...@cie.uoregon.edu

John Stanback

Dec 18, 1993, 2:05:34 PM12/18/93
Kevin Gowen (kgo...@cie.uoregon.edu) wrote:
: Maybe someone like Eric Schiller or someone else in the know can answer
: this question for me:

: -kevin
: kgo...@cie.uoregon.edu

Zarkov 3.0 is now available from the following distributors:

International Chess Enterprises
P.O. Box 19457
Seattle, WA. 98109
Phone: 1-800-262-4377

Gambit-Soft
Feckenhauser Str. 27
D-78628 Rottweil, Germany
49-741-21573

John Stanback

Eric Schiller

Dec 18, 1993, 2:31:43 PM12/18/93
Chess Laboratories no longer exists. I had been in negotiations
to distribute Zarkov through my Chessworks company, but they fell
through. You can get Zarkov from the USCF or Inside Chess.

Eric Schiller

Roy Eassa

Dec 18, 1993, 7:10:35 PM12/18/93
kgo...@cie.uoregon.edu (Kevin Gowen) writes:

I have the *exact* same question!

Roy Eassa

Kevin Gowen

Dec 19, 1993, 7:52:28 PM12/19/93
In article <CI8vp...@fc.hp.com> j...@fc.hp.com (John Stanback) writes:
>Zarkov 3.0 is now available from the following distributors:
>
>International Chess Enterprises
>P.O. Box 19457
>Seattle, WA. 98109
>Phone: 1-800-262-4377
>
>Gambit-Soft
>Feckenhauser Str. 27
>D-78628 Rottweil, Germany
>49-741-21573
>
>John Stanback

Ah, the author himself. Can't get much authoratative than that! :)
One question: Do you know offhand if any of these vendors have any kind of
an upgrade policy for us poor, orphaned purchasers of 2.6 or are we going to
have to pay full price for 3.0?я I have this horrible suspicion that, with
Chess Laboratories no longer in existence, all records of my original
purchase are more or less gone and I'm back to square one...

-kevin
kgo...@cie.uoregon.edu

John Stanback

Dec 20, 1993, 11:18:31 AM12/20/93
Upgrades from versions 2.5 or 2.6 are available from either of
the distributers I mentioned for about half of the $99 list price.
Some of the improvements in Zarkov 3.0 are:
- About 50 rating points stronger
- KPK endgame database
- Utility to generate opening books from ascii game files
- Save/Load games in PGN format
- Save/Load positions in EPD format
- Interface to Bookup8.1 and Chess Assistant
- Completely new user interface with pull-down menus & dialog boxes

John

Kevin Gowen

Dec 20, 1993, 8:49:30 PM12/20/93

Thank you thank you thank you! I called up 'Inside Chess' and ordered my
upgrade this afternoon. The asking price for owners of Zarkov 2.6 is
about $50. Not bad. I can't wait till it arrives in the mail.

-keevin
kgo...@cie.uoregon.edu