Advances in Computer Chess 7 conference

Jos Uiterwijk

May 27, 1993, 8:29:21 AM5/27/93

Since I had some Email problems I'm not sure if this announcement,
which I sent before, passed our mailer. I also got no responses so
far. I therefore re-send the following announcement. My apologies
if you already DID receive it.

ADVANCES IN COMPUTER CHESS 7

July 1-2, 1993
Maastricht, The Netherlands

The seventh conference "Advances in Computer Chess", co-sponsored
by the Max Euwe-centrum, will be held in Maastricht, The Netherlands,
on July 1-2, 1993, at the University of Limburg, Bouillonstraat 3
(in the Statenzaal). The conference commences on Thursday, 1 July
at 10.30, and will end on Friday, 2 July at 16.30. Registration will
take place on July 1 from 9.45.

This is the main conference on computer chess in the world, organized
every three years. In Maastricht, well-known computer-chess
researchers will present their latest results and ideas.

International Chess Grandmaster Dr. John Nunn and former Chess
World Champion Prof. M.M. Botvinnik are invited to attend the conference
and to present a keynote lecture. Nunn agreed conditionally; Botwinnik
still considers his being there.

-----------------------------------

The provisional programme includes:

"On Timing and Permanent Brain in Computer Chess." Ingo Althoefer,
Chrilly Donninger, Ulf Lorenz and Valentin Rottmann.

"Towards a Chess Program based on a Model of Human Memory." E. Gobet
and Peter Jansen.

"Thoughts on Applications of Opponent-Model Search". Hiroyuki Iida
and Jos W.H.M. Uiterwijk.

"Solving Large Retrograde Analysis Problems Using a Network of
Workstations." Robert Lake, Jonathan Schaeffer and Paul Lu.

"Parallellizing Alpha-Beta; a descriptive model". T.A. Marsland.

"Long-Term Planning in Computer Chess." Andreas L. Opdahl and
Bjornar Tessem.

"Generalizing Alpha-Beta." Wim Pijls and Arie de Bruin.

"Acquisition, Transformation, and Utilization of Knowledge
Representations (Computer Chess as an example of AI programming)."
Christian Posthoff, Michael Schlosser and Jens Zeidler.

"Chess Programming and Computer Science Education." Christian Posthoff,
Rainer Staudte and Michael Schlosser.

"A Minimax Algorithm Faster than Alpha-Beta." Alexander Reinefeld.

"A Linguistic Geometry of the Chess Model." Boris Stilman.

"How Hard is the Correct Coding of An Easy Endgame?" Jean-Christophe Weill.

"Null move and Singular Extensions in Chinese Chess." C. Ye and
T.A. Marsland.

A definite programme will be announced in due course.

-----------------------------------

The registration fee is Dfl. 200.- (two lunches, refreshments and
reception are included) to be paid at the registration desk at July 1,
by cash, traveller's cheque or Eurocheque.

For more information or for registration please contact Jose Cornips
(+31 43 883334) or Sabine Vanhouwe (+31 43 883504), or send a message
to the Department of Computer Science, using email (cor...@cs.rulimburg.nl
or vanh...@cs.rulimburg.nl), fax (+31 43 252392) or by postal mail
(University of Limburg, Department of Computer Science, P.O. Box 616,
6200 MD Maastricht, The Netherlands).

Jos Uiterwijk
member of the Organizing Committee

PS: the Program Committee still has the possibility for one or two
contributions to be considered for presentation and publication in the
conference proceedings. If you are interested, please contact me
(+31 43 883490/883477; uite...@cs.rulimburg.nl) or Jaap van den Herik
(+31 43 883485/883477; he...@cs.rulimburg.nl) as soon as possible.