Another reason for Fischer's reappearance?

Steven J. Edwards

Sep 10, 1992, 5:32:30 PM9/10/92
The three main reasons given for Robert Fischer's reappearance are: 1)
a need for cash, 2) a need to annoy FIDE and various other groups, and
3) a recognition of personal mortality because of the deaths of some
of his past opponents.

I think that all of the above had something to do with his return to
play; I also suspect that he may feel that his own standard of play
has slipped and so further delay would mean an unacceptably high risk
of defeat. But I think that there is another reason: Fischer is
afraid of the marked increase in chessplaying computer program
strength over the past several years. Note that he has followed
computer chess from its infancy decades ago. He once made a comment
that "Chess programs won't go anywhere unless the programmers get help
from strong players"; perhaps he has had second thoughts about this.
Also, the idea of a world class program having all ECO and Informant
online must be a little unnerving. Other reports indicate that
Fischer has had a laptop computer for some time and is familiar with
the various commercial offerings. He has also played the CHEOPS
assisted version of the Greenblatt program MacHack, so we know he is
not adverse to playing machines; at least not in the past.

I think that Fischer can bear a loss or two by Spasski but is too
fearful of a potential defeat by a program. He sees the window of
opportunity shrinking for his gaining a widely, if not officially,
recognized status as world champion.

[The above opinions expressed are my own; not necessarily held by others.]
== Steven J. Edwards Bull HN Information Systems Inc. ==
== (508) 294-3484 300 Concord Road MS 820A ==
== s...@xylos.ma30.bull.com Billerica, MA 01821 USA ==
"That Government which Governs the Least, Governs Best." -- Thomas Jefferson