Chess Genius 2.0

Murat Saygin

Dec 18, 1993, 1:15:00 PM12/18/93
Does anybody know type of the copy protection Chess Genius 2.0 has?
Is it manual lookup, keydisk or install type like M Chess Pro?
Thanks Murat.

Roy Eassa

Dec 18, 1993, 7:19:29 PM12/18/93
murat....@canrem.com (Murat Saygin) writes:

>Does anybody know type of the copy protection Chess Genius 2.0 has?
>Is it manual lookup, keydisk or install type like M Chess Pro?

Very similar to MChess's. It allows you two installations. If you
want to reformat the hard disk or something, you must "de-install"
a "token" back to the diskette. You don't need a diskette for each
game after installation, nor is there any manual lookup.

By the way, MChess Pro 3.12 provided one install, whereas 3.5 permits two.

Murat Saygin

Dec 19, 1993, 10:31:00 AM12/19/93
Jean-Marc and Roy.
Thank you for replaying for my Chess Genius 2.0 copy protection
question. I will wait untill I see a review of MChess Pro 3.5. If this
program is as strong as Chess Genius 2.0 in all departments I will buy
it because of the huge opening book of 230000 positions.
Regards. Murat.

Roy Eassa

Dec 19, 1993, 7:32:13 PM12/19/93
murat....@canrem.com (Murat Saygin) writes:

I own both. In slow games, they are probably very close in strength. In
fast games, Genius 2.0 has the edge. Genius also has a big edge in ease
of use, although M Chess Pro is not that difficult (just non-standard).
M Chess does have the larger book, but in games among computers I've
found this to be a liability just as often as it is an asset. Of course,
for study, it's great.

Mark Mittelstaedt

Dec 20, 1993, 11:01:00 PM12/20/93
-> Does anybody know type of the copy protection Chess Genius 2.0 has?
-> Is it manual lookup, keydisk or install type like M Chess Pro?
-> Thanks Murat.

It has an Install type.

Zech

Dec 21, 1993, 5:06:48 AM12/21/93

For the Mephisto Genius program there are 5 "Mephisto Powerbooks"
opening libraries available ordered by ECO-Code.

powerbook A,B,C,D,E each 59 DM
all five all 249 DM

(all together 2 million moves)

This was an advertisement of HCC, Barerstr. 32, D-80333 Muenchen
in the german magazin "Computer Schach und Spiele" and should
be available from other mephisto genius distributors too.

Greetings

Hansjoerg

Murat Saygin

Dec 23, 1993, 12:56:00 PM12/23/93
Hi Guys.
I just got the Chess Genius 2.0 here is my impressions.

Like:Overall look and the different setup options.
Strength(not that I can beat any previus programs I have)
Showing the thinking at all times even when I am entering one of
my own games it is analizing it at the same time.

Dislike :The manual is missing some importent information about disk
defragmentation in the English section.Good thing I know just
enaugh German to read the manual.
It does not anounce the names of the openings.
Copy protection.Yet again punishing the good guys.I am sure
the hacker types can disasamble the program and remove the
protection in 15 minutes and than sell it or whatever.

Hate : I was in big shock when I discovered that analisis file gives
me only 5 ply deep printout.My main reason for buying this
program was to analize my own real games overnight and study.
My previus program Zarkov 2.6 can give me at least 10 ply of
analisis.
If anybody knows a trick to increase the ply output on the saved
analisis please let me know. Or I have spend 195$ Canadian inc
tax for nothing. Because I will not sit and play against the
program. It is too strong to play against besides I rader play
real human if not my Seitek Renaissance with the brute force
module is really comfertable to play against.

Regards. Murat Saygin