Levy - DT match (2).

Peter Jansen

Dec 21, 1989, 2:09:48 PM12/21/89

In the second game, Levy seemed to have found the right approach,
even though he allowed himself to remain quite backward in development
(this was the first thing his second Danny Kopec reproached him when
he stormed into the room after the game). In any case, Levy managed
to gradually come back to near equality from a position where DT
consistently thought itself to be a pawn up (in positional advantages).
Unfortunately for him, when playing 36. ... Na4? (better is 36. ... Ba6!
with slight advantage for white, but still some struggle to follow)
he overlooked a rather surprising mate, which could then only be averted
at the cost of piece (37. ... Nb6 and 38. ... Nd7).

I was told that IGM Jonathan Speelman saw 38. Ng4!! even before DT played
it, causing quite some commotion in the analysis room. After that,
people were speculating why DT took so long to make its moves.
What happened was that, although DT did see a mate in 12 at move 38,
I did not announce this to Levy, because I expected DT to come up with a
shorter mate soon. And so it merrily went on looking for one at the rate
of 3 minutes per move, until Levy resigned...

After the game Speelman declared himself quite depressed that something as
beautiful as 38. Ng4 turned out to be reducible to mere stupid calculations....

Deep Thought - David Levy (Game 2: London, 12/12/89)

There was general praise for DT's play in the opening, especially
for moves like 12. Qe1 and 14. Nd1(!). The GM's felt, however, that
DT should have gone for attack on the kingside (rather than 16. Qa5 and
17. Qa3 after which it almost ended up getting its queen trapped).

Levy's 30. ... Bxf6 was heavily criticized (not by DT, who thought it
was forced), and 30. ... Kg7 proposed as a better alternative.
But it was not so easy to see that the pawn on f6 would turn out to be
lethally strong...

1. c4 d6
2. Nc3 g6
3. d4 Bg7