About Euwe

John Saba

Mar 19, 1991, 11:31:09 AM3/19/91
In article <1991Mar19....@cbnewsj.att.com>, e...@cbnewsj.att.com
(ed.knowles) writes:

(concerning Euwe's 1937 match with Alekhin:)

> ...even the rematch was close and could have gone either way.

Not so. I don't remember the exact score, but the match was very one-sided.
The rematch showed that, compared to Alekhin, Euwe was obviously a second-rate
player. In fact, were it not for his drinking and over-eating, Alekhin would
probably not have lost the first match in 1935.

I agree with your other comments about Euwe's contribution to the game and to
chess literature, his general strength as a player, and his polite and modest
demeanor. Definitely a great chessplayer.

Tony Warnock

Mar 19, 1991, 2:08:20 PM3/19/91

After nineteen games, both the 1935 and 1937 matches had Alekhine
ahead of Euwe by the same score. Euwe himself thinks that the twentieth
game of the second match was decisive in that he could not won a
game in which he had a winning position.

Alekhine stated (I agree) that Euwe was primarily a tactician. A
perusal of Euwe's games reveal that this is so. Even in the 1950's
when he was over the hill, Euwe could uncork real tactical masterpieces.
For example even in Zurich, 1953, when he was off form, his wins
over Kotov, Geller, and Najdorf are interesting; he blundered
against Smyslov in a winning position.

Of course he deserves a place in chess history because of his name

Mac"K"s Euwe