DT - Kasparov : 0-2.

Peter Jansen

Oct 23, 1989, 3:32:03 AM10/23/89

Not entirely unexpectedly, human world champion Gary Kasparov
convincingly defeated computer world champion Deep Thought in their
two-game exhibition match on Sunday (10/22).

Even though Deep Thought, running on the fastest hardware it has used
yet (6 custom processors and 3 Sun4-330 workstations), looked at over
1.6 million positions per second, Gary Kasparov won both games easily,
proving that chess computers still have a long way to go.

Here are the games.

In game 1, DT did not know what to do with its fairly good opening
position. Kasparov gradually took charge, built up pressure and
calmly and cautiously maneuvered his pieces to their optimal squares
until the position was ripe for the kill. Only at move 40 did DT
notice something was seriously wrong...

Game 1: DT - Kasparov
---------------------
1 e4 c5 21 h3 Bc3 41 c6 f5
2 c3 e6 22 Qc3 Nf5 42 cb Rb7
3 d4 d5 23 Nf5 Qf5 43 Kg1 f4!
4 ed ed 24 Ra2 Re6 44 gf g3
5 Nf3 Bd6 25 Rae2 Rde8 45 Qd1 Rbe7
6 Be3 c4 26 Qd2 f6 46 b6 gf+
7 b3 cb 27 Qc3 h5 47 Rf2 Qd1
8 ab Ne7 28 b4 R8e7 48 Rd1 Re3
9 Na3 Nbc6 29 Kh1 g5 49 Rg2 Nb6
10 Nb5 Bb8 30 Kg1 g4 50 Rg5 a4
11 Bd3 Bf5 31 h4 Re4 51 Rh5 a3
12 c4 O-O 32 Qb2 Na7 52 Rd2 Re2
13 Ra4 Qd7 33 Qd2 R4e6 53 Resigns
14 Nc3 Bc7 34 Qc1 Nb5
15 Bf5 Qf5 35 Qd2 Na3
16 Nh4 Qd7 36 Qd1 Kf7
17 O-O Rad8 37 Qb3 Nc4
18 Re1 Rfe8 38 Kh2 Re4
19 c5 Ba5 39 g3 Qf3
20 Qd3 a6 40 b5 a5

After showing his strategic superiority in game 1, Kasparov
proceeded to outcalculate DT in game 2.
DT neglected the development of its pieces rather pitifully,
and Kasparov put the position on fire (beginning with 10 Qd4),
eventually winning DT's queen (18 Bc6). With two pieces and
two pawns for the queen it didn't look all that bad yet, but
Kasparov finished the job effortlessly.

Game 2: Kasparov - DT
---------------------
1 d4 d5 14 Qc5! Qb6 27 Rc1 h6
2 c4 dc 15 Qa3 e6 28 Rc6 Ne8
3 e4 Nc6 16 Nc7+! Qc7 29 b4 Bh2
4 Nf3 Bg4 17 Bb5+ Qc6 30 ba Kg8
5 d5 Ne5 18 Bc6+ bc 31 Qb4 Bd6
6 Nc3 c6 19 Bc5 Bc5 32 Rd6 Nd6
7 Bf4 Ng6 20 Qf3 Bb4+ 33 Rb8+ Rb8
8 Be3 cd 21 Ke2 cd 34 Qb8+ Kh7
9 ed Ne5 22 Qg4 Be7 35 Qd6 Rc8
10 Qd4! Nf3+ 23 Rhc1 Kf8 36 a4 Rc4
11 gf Bf3 24 Rc7 Bd6 37 Qd7 Resigns
12 Bc4! Qd6 25 Rb7 Nf6
13 Nb5 Qf6 26 Qa4 a5

Let's try again five years from now...

-- Peter, for the DT team.

Seggev Weiss

Oct 23, 1989, 4:31:52 PM10/23/89
In article <66...@pt.cs.cmu.edu> p...@g.gp.cs.cmu.edu (Peter Jansen) writes:

>Here are the games.

Sorry for my unnecessary article, folks; this article arrived at my incredibly
slow site AFTER I posted my request.

>In game 1, DT did not know what to do with its fairly good opening
>position. Kasparov gradually took charge, built up pressure and

Indeed DT got a pretty decent position out of the opening, but couldn't it
improve by
6.dc Bxc5 (6...Q-e7+ 7.B-e2)
7.B-b5+ N-c6
8.B-g5 Ng-e7 (8...N-f6 9.N-e5 or 9.N-d4)
9.N-e5 Q-b6 (9...Q-c7 10.B-f4 B-d6 11.0-0; 9...B-d7 10.NxB)
10.Q-e2 0-0
11.NxN NxN
12.0-0 with what seems to me to be roughly equal and not extremely complicated
position

Dolf Grunbauer

Oct 24, 1989, 4:22:18 AM10/24/89
Oke, I have seen the games twice on the net, but none of them showed the
time used by both man & machine. Could someone post the thinking time used ?
--
Dolf Grunbauer Tel: +31 55 432764 Internet do...@idca.tds.philips.nl
Philips Telecommunication and Data Systems UUCP ....!mcvax!philapd!dolf