Free BOOKUP for Windows upgrade

Bookup

Aug 11, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/11/95
Blatant commercial information follows -- shield your eyes!

Starting Monday, August 14th 1995, anyone ordering
BOOKUP 8.5 for DOS at the regular price will
receive a coupon for a free upgrade to the upcoming
Windows version.

Get your vaporware now! ;]

Today we also begin shipping IM Milos Jovicic' book on
the Caro-Kann "Black is Good and White is Better!" for
DOS and Macintosh.

The DOS versions of all our books-on-disk can be read
by the free viewer available on most chess servers.
If you're ftp illiterate then we'll send it to you on
diskette at no charge. Just call (800) 949-5445 or
send email.

Mike Leahy
"The Database Man!"

DHarum

Aug 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/12/95
How much will the upgrade to the Windows version be for those of use who
purchased Bookup 8.5 before this offer? How will the program differ in
its Windows incarnation? How soon will it have a Windows incarnation?

Bye the way --- I love the program. Good work!

dh

Halibut

Aug 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/12/95
DHarum (dha...@aol.com) wrote:
: How much will the upgrade to the Windows version be for those of use who

: purchased Bookup 8.5 before this offer? How will the program differ in
: its Windows incarnation? How soon will it have a Windows incarnation?

: Bye the way --- I love the program. Good work!

Yes, Bookup is good. But jeez, a Windows version?

Bookup

Aug 13, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/13/95
In article <40ig07$g...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>, DHarum <dha...@aol.com> wrote:
>How much will the upgrade to the Windows version be for those of use who
>purchased Bookup 8.5 before this offer?

Although we haven't set a price yet, the cost of the last two
major upgrades was $45. The price of BOOKUP for Windows will
probably be slightly higher than for the current DOS version.

>How will the program differ in
>its Windows incarnation? How soon will it have a Windows incarnation?

It will be pretty much the same as the DOS version -- except
that it will be for Windows! The biggest difference will be
in text handling and diagram printing/exporting.

>Bye the way --- I love the program. Good work!
>

>dh

Thanks!

DHarum

Aug 13, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/13/95
Halibut,

Whether we like it or not, Windows is here to stay. I've come to like
Win3.1 in spite of the GPFs which plague it and I know that people who are
new to computers are far happier in Windows than they are when faced with
the c:> prompt. I've heard a lot of mixed things about Windows95 but I've
got a strong feeling that it's going to be on every machine in the very
near future. How can software developers not port their applications to
the most ubiquitous operating system? That would be suicide. I love
Bookup for DOS and Chess Assistant (especially the neat way it interfaces
with Genius) but I've seen the Chessbase Windows demo and it's pretty
nifty. All it lacks is a real interface with a playing program (I don't
mean analysis engine). It's also too expensive but that's because it
plays to a specialized market where it sets the price. I also have a
problem with the copy protection. I use two computers regularly (laptop
on the road and desktop at home) and I hate the thought of using up my
legal installs just to be able to have it in both places. I already do
this with Fritz. The new dongle idea isn't much better.

But now I've really strayed from the subject.

Bookup is great and I would love to see what the Windows version will be
like.

dh

Halibut

Aug 13, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/13/95
Bookup (boo...@coil.com) wrote:

: In article <40ig07$g...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>, DHarum <dha...@aol.com> wrote:
: >How much will the upgrade to the Windows version be for those of use who
: >purchased Bookup 8.5 before this offer?

: Although we haven't set a price yet, the cost of the last two
: major upgrades was $45. The price of BOOKUP for Windows will
: probably be slightly higher than for the current DOS version.

Mike,I just bought this 2 months ago. Can I get the upgrade
without paying again?

Also, when you say "Windows, do you mean Windows 3.11, Win NT, or Win95?

Halibut

Aug 13, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/13/95
DHarum (dha...@aol.com) wrote:
: Halibut,

: Whether we like it or not, Windows is here to stay. I've come to like
: Win3.1 in spite of the GPFs which plague it and I know that people who are
: new to computers are far happier in Windows than they are when faced with
: the c:> prompt.

I've gotten used to Windows 3.11 at work (where I cannot install
OS/2) even though it will sometimes crap out. Win 3.1 crapped out a lot more.

I've heard a lot of mixed things about Windows95 but I've
: got a strong feeling that it's going to be on every machine in the very
: near future. How can software developers not port their applications to
: the most ubiquitous operating system? That would be suicide.

Perhaps, but I sure hope that whoever writes a program for Win95
has a lot of people on hand to explain how to deal with Win95! This isn't
just Microsoft bashing I am doing here. This is REAL. This is a REAL
PROBLEM. It's not like in the days of c:\ where any problem you had could
be dealt with by booting off a clean autoexec.bat and config.sys,
tweaking some parameters, and then you're set. Operating Systems have
gotten much more complex, and if you are going to run a program or two at
the same time, the OS HAS TO BE ROBUST! And Win95 IS NOT! It allows
programmers to mess with memory areas they shouldn't. It will crash
harder than a Mustang into a brick wall at 95pmh if a Win16 application
crashes. And there are many many more problems. ANYTHING YOU DO WITH
WIN95 IS AT RISK. That's why businesses are largely staying away from it.

Do you consider chess data as important? I do! It's bad enough
when you have poor programming in applications, but when your OS has
problems, then you need to really watch out. DOS was not great, but at
least you knew its parameters, and if you kept within them, restrictive
as they were, you only needed to worry about the application 99.9% of the
time. That's why I now use OS/2. Not because I've fallen in love with
IBM, but because it lets me multitask DOS and Windows programs without
having to worry about the OS.

I love
: Bookup for DOS and Chess Assistant (especially the neat way it interfaces
: with Genius) but I've seen the Chessbase Windows demo and it's pretty
: nifty. All it lacks is a real interface with a playing program (I don't
: mean analysis engine). It's also too expensive but that's because it
: plays to a specialized market where it sets the price. I also have a
: problem with the copy protection. I use two computers regularly (laptop
: on the road and desktop at home) and I hate the thought of using up my
: legal installs just to be able to have it in both places. I already do
: this with Fritz. The new dongle idea isn't much better.

I think a real revolution will occur in the marketplace after the
release of Win95. I think people will realize what they are up against,
when they see that Win95 is not running their programs any faster, and
it's also crashing even more than the old Win did.

: But now I've really strayed from the subject.

: Bookup is great and I would love to see what the Windows version will be
: like.

From what Mike has posted, it seems to be largely a port.