nicbase files at uoknor

Steven L Harrington

Mar 20, 1994, 9:56:08 PM3/20/94
I have recently attempted to download the nicbase game files from
uoknor to my nicbase (version 2.0) without success. I had
to rename the files from file.g30 and file.i30 to file.gam and
file.ind in order to get nicbase to recognize them, but it is
still unable to read the games from these files. Anyone have any
ideas as to what I need to do? Is nicbase 2.0 an old/outdated
version, and if so is there a conversion utility to convert the
new format to 2.0 format?

Many thanks, Steve Harrington
a.k.a. cowboy on ICS

Alexander Burst

Mar 21, 1994, 11:04:24 AM3/21/94
Hi Steve!

Version 2.0 of NicBase is an old version (3.0 is the newest version). The files of version 3.0 are about 20% shorter and therefore not compatible with version 2.0. There exists a tool, which can update 2.0 files to 3.0 files, but doing the other way is not
possible (there are no tools).

I fear you have to buy version 3.0, if you want files from chess.uoknor.edu. The version 3.0 is about 2 years old, but there is no newer version. I hope, that NicBase goes Windows, but this is not sure.

Bye, Alexander