Using Timeseal with Xboard

Jeffrey L. Nauss

Feb 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/12/97

I am trying to run timeseal (Timestamp (FICS) v1.0) on a Silicon
Graphics Indy (IRIX 6.2) with Xboard (version 3.4,patchlevel 1). The
system has a direct Internet connection and has TCP/IP and telnet. I
can telnet directly to FICS through timeseal using the command:

timeseal 164.58.253.13 5000

Fingering my account shows that timeseal is on.

However, when I log on through xboard using the command:

xboard -ics -icshost 164.58.253.13 -telnetProgram timeseal

Fingering my account shows that timeseal is still off.

Using the suggested command:

xboard -ics -icshost 164.58.253.13 -telnet -telnetProgram timeseal

Results in garbled commands at FICS.

Any suggestions on what I am doing wrong. Or is this what was meant by
timeseal not working through telnet?

Jeff Nauss
Texas A&M Class of '77
http://www.che.uc.edu/~nauss

If at first you don't succeed, redefine success

Tim Mann

Feb 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/12/97

In article <330205...@UC.Edu>, "Jeffrey L. Nauss" <Jeffre...@UC.Edu> writes:
>I am trying to run timeseal (Timestamp (FICS) v1.0) on a Silicon
>Graphics Indy (IRIX 6.2) with Xboard (version 3.4,patchlevel 1).

Several people have reported problems with xboard's use of ptys on SGI
machines. By default they are used with the method of invoking
timeseal you tried. I think you can get around the problem by
rebuilding xboard using the following commands:

rm *.o
rm config.cache
./configure --disable-ptys
make

Then run xboard with the suggested command:

xboard -ics -icshost 164.58.253.13 -telnet -telnetProgram timeseal

Do not omit the -telnet option. It turns on the use of the external
"telnetProgram" timeseal; without it, the -telnetProgram option does
nothing.

I also suggest getting the current version of xboard, 3.5.0. You can
get it from my Web page below. The page (and the 3.5.0 distribution)
also include an updated FAQ that includes the above suggestion.

--
Tim Mann <ma...@pa.dec.com>
http://www.research.digital.com/SRC/personal/Tim_Mann/

Jeffrey L. Nauss

Feb 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/14/97
to ma...@pa.dec.com

Tim Mann wrote:

> Several people have reported problems with xboard's use of ptys on SGI

> machines... I think you can get around the problem by

> rebuilding xboard using the following commands:
>
> rm *.o
> rm config.cache
> ./configure --disable-ptys
> make
>
> Then run xboard with the suggested command:
>
> xboard -ics -icshost 164.58.253.13 -telnet -telnetProgram timeseal
>

> I also suggest getting the current version of xboard, 3.5.0.

Thanks. Downloaded the new version of xboard, recompiled it as
described above, and it worked like a charm.

Thanks again...

--
Jeff Nauss

* UU UU Jeffrey L. Nauss, PhD *
* UU UU Director, Molecular Modeling Services *
* UU UU Department of Chemistry *
* UU UU CCCCCCC University of Cincinnati *
* UU UU CCCCCCCC Cincinnati, OH 45221-0172 *
* UUUU CC *
* CC Telephone: 513-556-0148 Fax: 513-556-9239 *
* CC *
* CCCCCCCC e-mail: Jeffre...@UC.Edu *
* CCCCCCC URL http://www.che.uc.edu/~nauss *