CG6 --- integration of all chess engines -- good or bad?!

Lonnie

Nov 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/3/98
To all,
Here is a reprint of what I found on Gambitsoft's and HCC's website.

Millennium with engines, too!
The new GENIUS 6 produced by Millennium (former HCC) is supposed to
come
with engines, too. Announced are: ChessGenius 6 (and former versions),
Shredder 3 (Meyer-Kahlen), Nimzo 2000 (Chrilly Donninger), W-Chess
2000
(Dave Kittinger), Zarkov 2000 (John Stanback).

Well, the idea is not new, but Millennium brings back some old names
like
David Kittinger and John Stanback. And it must be funny to play with
NIMZO
99 from ChessBase against NIMZO 2000 from Millennium. Although the
numbers
differ, it will be the same product quite likely.

Millennium promises more: An open standard, so that any chess
programmer can
use this GUI for his program, and more to come in future. By the end
of 1999
they want to offer 2 dozens of different chess engines and other
modules.
Let us wait and see. - 11/3/98

MILLENNIUM Chess System -
The Chess System of the Future
A huge number of chess programs compete for the favour of users. The
efforts
of many developers to create powerful programs cost valuable
resources,
users face a number of incompatible solutions, and introducing new
products
is becoming more difficult.

Therefor, we introduce in December 1998 with ChessGenius 6 the new
MILLENNIUM Chess System, the powerful and professional chess system
for the
new millennium.

The new multi engine concept allows different engines to integrate
into a
professional Windows 32 Bit chess program. Several renowned authors of
strong chess programs already confirmed their participation in the new
system.

The five most important reasons for the new MILLENNIUM Chess System:

1. Power
Different engines share the functionality of a modern, professional
state-of-the-art Windows program. Seamless database support, opening
tree,
game analysis, and much more. Developers can concentrate on the
development
of the engine instead of wasting time and effort with the user
interface or
functionality.

2. Chances
Since the first release in 1992, ChessGenius stands with tens of
thousands
sold copies for power, quality and reliability. Engines for the
MILLENNIUM
Chess System will profit directly from the wide acceptance of
ChessGenius.

3. Open system
The engine specifications will be published by us soon.

4. No limitations
Developers retain all rights on their engines. No need for contracts,
licensing, non disclosure agreements, or similar limitations.

5. Ready for the Future
Not only well-known professional programmers but also numerous authors
of
freeware and shareware programs showed their interest in contributing
to the
MCS. We are expecting not less than two dozen different chess engines
and
other modules until the end of 1999.

Apart vom ChessGenius 6 (and some predecessors), the following top
engines
and modules will be available firstly:

Shredder 3 (Stefan Meyer-Kahlen)
Nimzo 2000 (Chrilly Donninger)
W-Chess 2000 (Dave Kittinger)
Zarkov 2000 (John Stanback)
GrandmasterBook II (the ultimate opening CD-ROM)

mclane

Nov 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/3/98
lonni...@riconnect.com (Lonnie) wrote:

>To all,
>Here is a reprint of what I found on Gambitsoft's and HCC's website.

>Millennium with engines, too!

Good idea. Ossi collects the forces and comes with another empire.
Now we have the borg and the romulan-empire trying to control the
galaxy, only the federation is still able to stand the empire, and a
few rebels, .... :-)))

>The new GENIUS 6 produced by Millennium (former HCC) is supposed to
>come
>with engines, too. Announced are: ChessGenius 6 (and former versions),
>Shredder 3 (Meyer-Kahlen), Nimzo 2000 (Chrilly Donninger), W-Chess
>2000
>(Dave Kittinger), Zarkov 2000 (John Stanback).

Brilliant !!! Well done !!!

>Well, the idea is not new, but Millennium brings back some old names
>like
>David Kittinger and John Stanback. And it must be funny to play with
>NIMZO
>99 from ChessBase against NIMZO 2000 from Millennium. Although the
>numbers
>differ, it will be the same product quite likely.

Ossi gives something to us. Thats important for me too.
And he fights the cheating-empire.

>Millennium promises more: An open standard, so that any chess
>programmer can
>use this GUI for his program, and more to come in future. By the end
>of 1999
>they want to offer 2 dozens of different chess engines and other
>modules.
>Let us wait and see. - 11/3/98

This is the way to crack the chessBase empire ! An open standard, like
LINUX , can be the only force to crack microsoft and to send bill
gates back where he came from, into nirvana.

The same with chessBase. An open standard can kill them !! If
something is open, ANYBODY could use it... !!! Good idea Ossi !

>MILLENNIUM Chess System -
>The Chess System of the Future
>A huge number of chess programs compete for the favour of users. The
>efforts
>of many developers to create powerful programs cost valuable
>resources,
>users face a number of incompatible solutions, and introducing new
>products
>is becoming more difficult.

>Therefor, we introduce in December 1998 with ChessGenius 6 the new
>MILLENNIUM Chess System, the powerful and professional chess system
>for the
>new millennium.

Nice !

>The new multi engine concept allows different engines to integrate
>into a
>professional Windows 32 Bit chess program. Several renowned authors of
>strong chess programs already confirmed their participation in the new
>system.

BRILLIANT !! I appreciate this ! Although i still think: there is a
way of life next to linux and windows. E.g. BEos. Or MACos.

>The five most important reasons for the new MILLENNIUM Chess System:

>1. Power
>Different engines share the functionality of a modern, professional
>state-of-the-art Windows program. Seamless database support, opening
>tree,
>game analysis, and much more. Developers can concentrate on the
>development
>of the engine instead of wasting time and effort with the user
>interface or
>functionality.

right !

>2. Chances
>Since the first release in 1992, ChessGenius stands with tens of
>thousands
>sold copies for power, quality and reliability. Engines for the
>MILLENNIUM
>Chess System will profit directly from the wide acceptance of
>ChessGenius.

>3. Open system
>The engine specifications will be published by us soon.

GOOD!

>4. No limitations
>Developers retain all rights on their engines. No need for contracts,
>licensing, non disclosure agreements, or similar limitations.

!!!!! Linux goes for hollywood !

>5. Ready for the Future
>Not only well-known professional programmers but also numerous authors
>of
>freeware and shareware programs showed their interest in contributing
>to the
>MCS. We are expecting not less than two dozen different chess engines
>and
>other modules until the end of 1999.

ok.

>Apart vom ChessGenius 6 (and some predecessors), the following top
>engines
>and modules will be available firstly:

>Shredder 3 (Stefan Meyer-Kahlen)
>Nimzo 2000 (Chrilly Donninger)
>W-Chess 2000 (Dave Kittinger)
>Zarkov 2000 (John Stanback)
>GrandmasterBook II (the ultimate opening CD-ROM)

Nice !

So - the romulan-empire strikes back !

best wishes

mclane

Rjpawlak

Nov 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/4/98
Definitely good... At least now there will be some competition for CB (good as
they may be, competition=innovation).

I bet alot of people will buy this software just to see the new WChess!

Bob P. (Alias MLK and RJP - newsfeed is down)
Chess Widower's Home Page
Chess Software Reviews
http://members.aol.com/rjpawlak/ch_widow.html

Komputer Korner

Nov 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/4/98
The only problem with this is that it will be difficult to compare all
the engines out there on the same footing when comparing computer
program vs computer program. Luckily Nimzo will be in both camps and
thus is the vital link to engine vs engine.

Komputer Korner
The inkompetent komputer

To send email take the 1 out of my address. My email address is
kor...@netcom.ca but take the 1 out before sending the email.
Rjpawlak wrote in message
<19981103192949...@ng91.aol.com>...

Steve Maughan

Nov 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/4/98
Must be good. An open standard, high quality, interface will allow the
amateur/semi professional to move over to Windows much quicker. They will
be able to control the price of the engines.

I expect that we will see new programs come in two flavours, their own
interface and the Millenium interface in the same box. ChessBase will be
forces to respond by opening up the Fritz engine protocol.

Great new about Stanback and Kittinger - how about the Spracklens?

Steve Maughan

Lonnie

Nov 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/5/98
On Tue, 03 Nov 1998 15:33:32 GMT, lonni...@riconnect.com (Lonnie)
wrote:

>To all,
>Here is a reprint of what I found on Gambitsoft's and HCC's website.

This is latest scoop from GanbitSoft's web site:

The engines ...
... for the GENIUS 6 GUI (see message yesterday) are not for free,
they will be DM 98/US $ 59 each, at least such top names as Dave
Kittinger's W-CHESS! - 11/4/98

Bert or anyone? R we tio assume that EACH engine will cost us as
opposed to what we thought we were getting was basically 3-4 chess
programs for one in package deal??

HWegner310

Nov 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/6/98

What is about auto232 and pc-board-compability?

Best greetings,
Hannu Wegner

Komputer Korner

Nov 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/7/98
Ask Hyatt. He is going to get Crafty working with the DGT board.
Perhaps he will add auto 232 as well.

Komputer Korner
The inkompetent komputer

To send email take the 1 out of my address. My email address is
kor...@netcom.ca but take the 1 out before sending the email.

HWegner310 wrote in message
<19981106115213...@ngol01.aol.com>...

HWegner310

Nov 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/8/98

Hi Korner,
Sorry, but what are you writing about? I Thought that Bob Hyatt wants to
include a DGT-driver to Winboard. Perhaps he also include the auto232 to the
Winboard as well (I really hope so). But it is new to me that he is including
something to Genius 6!? You confused me a bit.

Best greetings,
Hannu Wegner

In Artikel <xj912.18325$YP5.28...@tor-nn1.netcom.ca>, "Komputer Korner"

Komputer Korner

Nov 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/8/98

How did Genius 6 get into this conversation? I never mentioned
anything about Genius. All he definitely committed was to get Winboard
working with the DGT. I am assuming that Crafty will be connected to
the DGT as well. Crafty has nothing to do with Genius 6.

<19981108144708...@ngol03.aol.com>...