Which simple computer software for beginner to Intermediate - Openings training ?

u473

Nov 12, 2012, 12:33:46 PM11/12/12
Simple question for a Beginner to Intermediate Level.
Is there a simple openings training program software that will :
1. Rate and comment my move good or bad. and if bad, comment why.
2. Rate and comment better moves

Thank you for your answer,

J.P.

Martin Brown

Nov 12, 2012, 4:21:49 PM11/12/12
It has been asked many times and if you can still find it I reckon TASC
chess trainer although out of date in terms of GUI design and quirky is
still about as good as it gets for beginner to intermediate levels.

http://www.chesshouse.com/TASC_Chess_CD_2_Chess_Rules_Learn_to_Play_Chess_p/a216.htm

Ideal for schools teaching and covers most of the basic motifs and
tricks with tests and evaluations.

Total Chess Training is more thorough but is more Intermediate to Advanced.

http://www.chesscentral.com/Total_Chess_Training_p/644830.htm

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

u473

Nov 13, 2012, 12:06:15 AM11/13/12
I do not doubt that question was asked before.
Thank you for the advice.
J.P.

jefk

Nov 13, 2012, 9:02:19 PM11/13/12
u473 schreef:
well a/o you can try my program
Bookbuilder, although not perfect (yet:)
www.superchess.com
see download site for trial version
there are other programs, some cheap, some free,
some expensive, all different in use and functionality/

Bookbuilder at least gives you an idea. which openings to use.
and by looking at the names/variations you get
a better idea what kind of opening variations exist.
instead of just memorizing moves like Bc4 d6 Nf3 Qe7 etc.
and then practice against the common chess engines
and their various opening books.

best regards & good luck
jef
http://superchess.blogspot.com

Patzer

Nov 16, 2012, 7:55:20 AM11/16/12
I play against various (weak) engines using Xboard. Afterwards I have
crafty analyse the games. It provides you with the N best moves (I
select 4), together with their value. Since I am a rather weak
player, I set the cut off for printing the other moves at 1 point (I
think the documentation suggests 0.3 pts.). This shows me where all
my blunders were, how bad they were, and what the better moves would
be.

The crafty chess engine is free, and provides all that I want.

Patzer

Martin Brown

Nov 17, 2012, 12:12:10 PM11/17/12
Stockfish is probably amongst the strongest of the free engines a whole
host are available at Jim Ablett's site

http://jim-ablett.co.de/

But specific training software will improve your play no end since
unless you know the fundamental motifs they are not likely to occur in a
random patzer game against a relatively weak engine.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

JVMe...@aol.com

Nov 26, 2012, 8:35:15 PM11/26/12
On Monday, November 12, 2012 9:33:46 AM UTC-8, u473 wrote:
> Simple question for a Beginner to Intermediate Level.
>
> Is there a simple openings training program software that will :
>
> 1. Rate and comment my move good or bad. and if bad, comment why.
>
> 2. Rate and comment better moves

Chessmaster has some commentary on opening moves, as well as a blunder alert and a post-game analysis feature that will comment on your moves.

Not sure if it's thorough enough for you. If you want to give it a try, I recommend Chessmaster 9000, as later versions are significantly more buggy.

jm

mig...@hushmail.com

Jul 15, 2013, 12:33:25 PM7/15/13
You should try lucaschess.com It might be all you will ever need for training.

http://lucaschess.host22.com/

It is absolutely free.

jefke...@gmail.com

Mar 2, 2017, 5:43:28 PM3/2/17
because superchess.com has been taken over by www.lokasoft.com,
the new link for Bookbuilder should be: www.bookbuilder.nl
jef
PS achieved ICCF C(orrespondence)C(hess)M(aster) norm this month,
author of:
https://www.amazon.com/Learning-Chess-Openings-intermediate-levels-ebook/dp/B00WKE1HJC