Genius 6 Questions

ches...@my-dejanews.com

Feb 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/20/99
Hi Guys,

I am thinking of purchasing Genius 6, I would be grateful if anyone could
answer the following:-

1. Is there an Auto 232 facility? 2. Are the additional commercial programs
such as Shredder 3 stand alone aka Junior 5, or are they just engines that
need the Genius 6 program to be present? 3. I believe Genius 6 shell is 32bit
but the G6 engine is 16 bit. Can it be run successfully under NT 4? (I am
using Win98 at present but will probably upgrade to Windows2000 when it
becomes available.). 4. Information seems a bit thin on the ground for this
program, does Richard Lang have a web site?

Thanks in advance.

Chessnut

Quenton Fyfe

Feb 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/21/99
The Genius Website is at http://www.computerchess.de/chessgenius/home_e.html

but information is a bit thin on the ground there too. I'm also interested
to know if it runs in NT4 - since I never get round to using programs that
only use 95.

Cheers

Quenton Fyfe

ches...@my-dejanews.com wrote in message
<7alvb8$ecn$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>...

Eric Hallsworth

Feb 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/22/99
In article <919611661.4860.0...@news.demon.co.uk>, Quenton
Fyfe <que...@excelsiordirect.com> writes

>The Genius Website is at http://www.computerchess.de/chessgenius/home_e.html
>
>but information is a bit thin on the ground there too. I'm also interested
>to know if it runs in NT4 - since I never get round to using programs that
>only use 95.
>
>Cheers
>
>Quenton Fyfe

Genius5 works fine in NT4 and from what Richard indicated, Genius6
should be the same.

The engines which will run in Genius need to be those especially
prepared to do so. At present that means W Chess 2000 and Zarkov 2000.
Shredder and Nimzo versions will be available very soon, I believe.

--
With best wishes from Eric Hallsworth
Editor of 'Selective Search', Britain's only Computer Chess Magazine, est.1985

Moritz Berger

Feb 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/22/99
On Mon, 22 Feb 1999 07:47:48 +0000, Eric Hallsworth
<Er...@elhchess.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>Genius5 works fine in NT4 and from what Richard indicated, Genius6
>should be the same.

Genius 5 (5.001) asks for the CD every time I start it in a new NT
session (verified by now on 6 machines with NT 4.0 SP2 up to SP4).
This bug is known and has never been fixed. Technical support at
HCC/Millenium stopped answering my inquiries about it after the first
unsuccessful try to resolve the issue with the 5.001 patch (available
on the www.computerchess.de homepage).

I found myself using the Genius 5 DOS version with small hash tables
under NT which works just fine. But then, it seems like ages when I
last bothered to deal with that really old program.

The copy protection worked as designed under Win 95, I never tried it
with Win 98.

I don't know about Genius 6 since I didn't buy it because of the
license policy concerning publication of test results and the apparent
lack of playing strength improvements over Genius 5, taken together
with the fact that I would have had to turn in my old G5 CD (losing
the G5 DOS engine) and that for less the update price they're asking
there are several other (stronger) programs to be had (full retail
versions, not updates).

Moritz

Tord Kallqvist Romstad

Feb 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/24/99
In article <36d2e3d7...@NEWS.REMARQ.COM>, Moritz Berger wrote:
>I don't know about Genius 6 since I didn't buy it because of the
>license policy concerning publication of test results and the apparent
>lack of playing strength improvements over Genius 5, taken together
>with the fact that I would have had to turn in my old G5 CD (losing
>the G5 DOS engine)

Is it illegal to keep the G5 DOS engine after upgrading to G6? The DOS
version of G5 is not copy protected...

Tord

Eric Hallsworth

Feb 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/25/99
In article <slrn7d7plh....@janus.uio.no>, Tord Kallqvist Romstad
<rom...@janus.uio.no> writes

Without the G5 CD you're not going to be able to refresh it each month,
so you'll not be able to use it for long. Although Genius5 Gold included
all previous Genius versions for comparison, the Genius6 CD excludes
Genius5... presumably because they're virtually the same.

Tord Kallqvist Romstad

Feb 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/25/99
In article <sfPzVCA1$P12...@elhchess.demon.co.uk>, Eric Hallsworth wrote:
>In article <slrn7d7plh....@janus.uio.no>, Tord Kallqvist Romstad
><rom...@janus.uio.no> writes
>>In article <36d2e3d7...@NEWS.REMARQ.COM>, Moritz Berger wrote:
>>>I don't know about Genius 6 since I didn't buy it because of the
>>>license policy concerning publication of test results and the apparent
>>>lack of playing strength improvements over Genius 5, taken together
>>>with the fact that I would have had to turn in my old G5 CD (losing
>>>the G5 DOS engine)
>>
>>Is it illegal to keep the G5 DOS engine after upgrading to G6? The DOS
>>version of G5 is not copy protected...
>>
>>Tord
>>

>Without the G5 CD you're not going to be able to refresh it each month,
>so you'll not be able to use it for long.

Only the Windows version of Genius 5 asks for the CD. You can continue
to use the DOS version.

Tord