Searching for Martin P. Bryant / Colossus X -Chess

mclane

Nov 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/8/96

Hello,

I am searching for the programmer of Colossus Chess X,
an old chess program for ATARI ST and PC.

It was written arround 1988.

On my Atari ST it searched arround 500 positions per second.
On my Pentium 120 the PC-version searches arround ----
oh - I can't believe it ---- arround 100.000 positions and plays
very nice positional chess with sacrifices and attacks.

It has no fear to play against Fritz4 and Rebel8 and others.
Although it seems not to have any null-move or hash-tables,
and also it is very easy to stop from permanent brain by
using mouse or cursor-keys (You have to input via keyboard)
and has only CGA or EGA graphics, it plays really nice.

So: who knows about Martin P. Bryant or can give me his
telephone no. or adress or could reach him.

He worked or had a company called CDS, but the company
seems to have moved or is not there anymore.

It's unbelievable that an oldie like

Colossus Chess X

plays these nice games.

Only the usage is very very difficult.
My pentium is that fast that most of the pull-down
menues are not reachable because the INPUT
of the menues works TO FAST!

Please, if you know the adress of the programmer, post it
here or let him know that I am searching for him.

Maybe one can reactivate this program.

Reincarnation !!

If somebody has still this old PC program somewhere ....

put it back on your fast PC's, it will kill the NEW
programs without having any killer-book!! :-)

Oldie, but not rusty!

Eric Hallsworth

Nov 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/11/96

In article <328310...@prima.ruhr.de>, mclane <mcl...@prima.ruhr.de>
writes

>Hello,
>
>I am searching for the programmer of Colossus Chess X,
>an old chess program for ATARI ST and PC.
>
>It was written arround 1988.

>So: who knows about Martin P. Bryant or can give me his

>telephone no. or adress or could reach him.
>
>He worked or had a company called CDS, but the company
>seems to have moved or is not there anymore.

I don't have Martin's current address - but understand that he has
concentrated/worked only on his Draughts program for the last few years.
--
Best wishes,
Eric Hallsworth, Computer Chess Magazine, The Red House,

Bill Newton

Nov 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/12/96

In article <rBRPXHAE...@elhchess.demon.co.uk>, Eric Hallsworth
<er...@elhchess.demon.co.uk> writes

>In article <328310...@prima.ruhr.de>, mclane <mcl...@prima.ruhr.de>
>writes
>>Hello,
>>
>>I am searching for the programmer of Colossus Chess X,
>>an old chess program for ATARI ST and PC.
>>
>>It was written arround 1988.
>
>>So: who knows about Martin P. Bryant or can give me his
>>telephone no. or adress or could reach him.
>>
>>He worked or had a company called CDS, but the company
>>seems to have moved or is not there anymore.
>
>I don't have Martin's current address - but understand that he has
>concentrated/worked only on his Draughts program for the last few years.

You will find quite a lot of information relating to Martin
Bryant/chess/draughts on www.colossus.demon.co.uk

Regards.

--
Bill Newton