Looking for Stefan Plenkner

Mark Lefler

Sep 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/6/95
In the June 1995 ICCA Journal, and interesting article A Null-Move
Technique Impervious to Zugzwang" proposes the technique of using a
reduced depth normal search to detect zugzwang positions which would fail
in a null-move search. However, there are several weird things in the
article, perhaps due to editiing. The text discusses using the null-move
search to raise alpha, but the sample pseudo-code seems to only look for
beta cutoffs. The value for th Tempo variable is set to 0, 2 and 3
depending on the section of the article, then after being set in the
pseudo code, seems to not be used at all. Nothing in the pseudo code
seems to limit the verification search, although this is mentioned in the
text.

I guess I would like to get Stefan Plenkner's email address and give him
a chance to explains some of the oddities (which I suspecxt may have been
due to the incldusion of the wrong pseudo-code in the article). DOes
anyone know his address, or perhaps he is reading this himslef. I think
the technique is quite interesting and would like to hear other
programmers results in using it.

-->Mark Lefler

Stefan Meyer-Kahlen

Sep 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/7/95

Okay Stefan Plenker,
if you read this you could also try to explain me your tempo search,
which sounds very interesting to me, too!
I also didn't find any refrences to 'tempo' in the mentioned
article!
Greetings
Stefan