TascBase

M Winther

Nov 24, 2006, 9:08:43 AM11/24/06
Now they are selling TascBase at 9.95 AUD.
http://www.chessaustralia.com.au/index.cfm?p=order&o=TASC-BASE&t=retail

TascBase is a sophisticated Chess Database with a strong chess
program that one can play against, and set to play one's own repertoire,
which is perfect for training. It has a graphical tree for opening keys.
It's a
DOS program designed for Windows. It also runs under Win XP, but if
you don't want the full screen feature, then you can run in under DOSbox
(a downloadable freeware). But it seems like the VideoMode=SVGA
(a setting in the ini-file) can be used only in earlier Windows versions.
This
setting is good if you want to see more of the chess tree, but it is not
necessary.

This database is something out of the ordinary. One can work very
efficiently with it. But it is not developed anymore. Last version is from
1997.

Mats W

tOmmetje

Nov 24, 2006, 9:21:26 AM11/24/06

Yeah right, I'm not paying for DOS software that is 10 years old... I
guess you are the creator of the software and still want to make some
money? Nice try but I'm not gonna pay money for a program I completely
don't know and thus can be total crap too.

On 24 nov, 15:08, "M Winther" <m...@swipnet.se> wrote:
> Now they are selling TascBase at 9.95 AUD.http://www.chessaustralia.com.au/index.cfm?p=order&o=TASC-BASE&t=retail

Inconnux

Nov 24, 2006, 2:21:23 PM11/24/06

someone still trying to sell DOS software??? ummm
DOS is DEAD!!!

M Winther

Nov 25, 2006, 1:54:17 AM11/25/06
Den 2006-11-24 15:21:26 skrev tOmmetje <tom.m...@gmail.com>:

No, I'm not the creator. I just want to make sure that people don't forget
that good old software. It uses a different technology of combined chess
tree
and opening keys that can be created automatically. It makes opening work
much easier than todays databases. The graphics is very good. The chess
engine is King.

Mats

--
Använder Operas banbrytande e-postklient: http://www.opera.com/m2/

Emil Koch

Nov 25, 2006, 2:16:49 AM11/25/06

"Inconnux" <ever...@yahoo.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

If its really great stuff, fix it for windows xp. Otherwise, why should we
pay
for yesterdays bullsheet ?

M Winther

Nov 25, 2006, 4:03:18 AM11/25/06

It runs under Windows XP and it is a 32-bit software (it uses Dos4gw.exe).
I just mentioned this as a suggestion for people interested in chess
software, as 9.95 AUD is very cheap. I don't understand why this evokes
such irritation. I thought people here would be interested in chess
software.

Mats W

kris

Nov 25, 2006, 10:25:10 AM11/25/06
It is the best GUI for chess!!! Much better than Arena or Fritz!!

Kris

tOmmetje

Dec 1, 2006, 8:25:20 AM12/1/06

On 25 nov, 16:25, "kris" <krisnat...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> It is the best GUI for chess!!! Much better than Arena or Fritz!!

I doubt that to be true and I'm certainly not going to pay for the
program in order to find out for myself how good the GUI is.

> > Den 2006-11-25 08:16:49 skrev Emil Koch <Umbe...@Telering.at>:
>
> > > "Inconnux" <everin...@yahoo.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

If it's 32-bit software, does it really works in DOS then? As DOS is
only 16-bits. So you are promoting a DOS program that really is a
Windows program. A program which noone knows and no one wants to pay
for. Besides, we already own either ChessMaster of Fritz, so why bother
buying yet another new, unknown chess playing program for Windows?

cbseries

Dec 1, 2006, 3:53:48 PM12/1/06

tOmmetje Wrote:

> I doubt that to be true and I'm certainly not going to pay for the
> program in order to find out for myself how good the GUI is.

Scroll down the linked to page and you will find a link that leads to a
page that has demo versions of TascBase. The link is under the question
"Is a demo version of TascBase 2.0 available?"

http://www.ismenio.com/tasc/tbfaq.html

I haven't tried installing the demo myself but I may out of curiosity.
However I do not think I will purchase a copy of TascBase since it's
copy protection uses some kind of 'Key' recognition and there is the
possibility of running out of 'Keys'. I learned this from the above
linked to page under the question - "I have installed Tascbase the
maximum number of times. What should I do?".

Copy protection is good but running out of 'Keys' is bad. What is the
maximum number of times the TascBase can be reinstalled? Would a person
have to use a new key every time they reformatted their harddrive? What
happens if in the future you are unable obtain replacement diskettes
from your dealer? Maybe since this is an old program replacement
diskettes are no longer available.

--
cbseries

Dave (from the UK)

Dec 4, 2006, 7:13:11 AM12/4/06

Wow, just what we have all been waiting for.

For anyone who does what a chess database, scid

http://scid.sourceforge.net/

is well worth a look. Runs on Windows, MAC, Linux and UNIX, perhaps some
others. And its a lot cheaper than Tacbase - it's free.

--
Dave (from the UK)

It is always of the form: month...@southminster-branch-line.org.uk

http://witm.sourceforge.net/ (Web based Mathematica front end)

M Winther

Dec 4, 2006, 11:41:09 AM12/4/06
Den 2006-12-04 13:13:11 skrev Dave (from the UK)
<see-my-s...@southminster-branch-line.org.uk>:

> M Winther wrote:
>> Now they are selling TascBase at 9.95 AUD.
>> http://www.chessaustralia.com.au/index.cfm?p=order&o=TASC-BASE&t=retail
>> TascBase is a sophisticated Chess Database with a strong chess
>> program that one can play against, and set to play one's own repertoire,
>> which is perfect for training. It has a graphical tree for opening
>> keys. It's a
>> DOS program designed for Windows. It also runs under Win XP, but if
>> you don't want the full screen feature, then you can run in under DOSbox
>> (a downloadable freeware). But it seems like the VideoMode=SVGA
>> (a setting in the ini-file) can be used only in earlier Windows
>> versions. This
>> setting is good if you want to see more of the chess tree, but it is not
>> necessary.
>> This database is something out of the ordinary. One can work very
>> efficiently with it. But it is not developed anymore. Last version is
>> from 1997.
>> Mats W
>
> Wow, just what we have all been waiting for.
>
> For anyone who does what a chess database, scid
>
> http://scid.sourceforge.net/
>
> is well worth a look. Runs on Windows, MAC, Linux and UNIX, perhaps some
> others. And its a lot cheaper than Tacbase - it's free.

Don't waste time and energy on any freeware database. You make yourself
dependent on inferior software, since you program your variants into it. I
have reviewed Scid, and it is vastly inferior to TascBase. If one is going
devote a lot of time and effort in this field, then one should use a really
good tool.

Mats

tOmmetje

Dec 4, 2006, 12:35:09 PM12/4/06
> Don't waste time and energy on any freeware database. You make yourself
> dependent on inferior software, since you program your variants into it. I
> have reviewed Scid, and it is vastly inferior to TascBase. If one is going
> devote a lot of time and effort in this field, then one should use a really
> good tool.
>
> Mats

MI own ChessBase 9... Is that an inferior tool too? If not, why should
I buy TascBase? :-) If it is, how come TascBase is so unknown and so
cheap, compared to the well known and very expensive ChessBase?

M Winther

Dec 6, 2006, 9:29:30 AM12/6/06

ChessBase could be useful, but I myself stopped upgrading after
ChessBase 7. TascBase wasn't cheap, but it is today. It is no longer
developed. You probably don't need it. I just suggested the software
to somebody who didn't own any software at all. It was only 9.90 AUD.
It is a steal. TascBase uses a different technology which is very useful
for chessplayers who develop their own variants, and want to create
new keys easily. It displays the keys in an attractive graphical tree.
It has certain advantages that ChessBase lacks, but ChessBase has
its particular facilities. If you like them, then it's good for you. People
use databases differently.

Mats