Chess Genius 3.0--->4.0 Upgrade

Daniel Chinn

Aug 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/7/96

Hello all,

There has been quite a bit of negative opinions (facts?) about the newly
released CM5000. I was wondering how different Chess Genius 4.0 is
compared to 3.0. I've heard that 4.0 will run in a Windows environment,
but what are some other features? Is the upgrade worth the price?

Basically, I'm not looking for a stronger program -- I'm interested in
some basic features like large, configurable opening books, ability to
read PGN files, variable play styles/personalities, etc. Just not so many
features that it uses up all of the systems' memory. (Like CM4000Turbo
did to my old 8MB Ram 486dx-33!)

Thanks!

Daniel
(USCF 2120)
--
Daniel Chinn
University of California at Berkeley

Tord Kallqvist Romstad

Aug 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/8/96

In article <4uarvm$l...@agate.berkeley.edu> gro...@uclink2.berkeley.edu (Daniel Chinn) writes:

> From: gro...@uclink2.berkeley.edu (Daniel Chinn)
> Newsgroups: rec.games.chess.computer
> Date: 7 Aug 1996 19:49:10 GMT
>

> Hello all,
>
> There has been quite a bit of negative opinions (facts?) about the newly
> released CM5000. I was wondering how different Chess Genius 4.0 is
> compared to 3.0. I've heard that 4.0 will run in a Windows environment,
> but what are some other features? Is the upgrade worth the price?
>
> Basically, I'm not looking for a stronger program -- I'm interested in
> some basic features like large, configurable opening books, ability to
> read PGN files, variable play styles/personalities, etc. Just not so many
> features that it uses up all of the systems' memory. (Like CM4000Turbo
> did to my old 8MB Ram 486dx-33!)
>
> Thanks!

The database features are improved compared to 3.0. Genius 4.0 has
the ability to read and write PGN files. Apart from this, there are not
many new features.

The playing strength hasn't improved much, but 4.0 plays a more aggressive
game. 4.0 is also tactically much stronger.

Tord Romstad

Komputer Korner

Aug 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/9/96

Tord Kallqvist Romstad wrote:
> snipped

> > Thanks!
>
> The database features are improved compared to 3.0. Genius 4.0 has
> the ability to read and write PGN files. Apart from this, there are not
> many new features.
>
> The playing strength hasn't improved much, but 4.0 plays a more aggressive
> game. 4.0 is also tactically much stronger.
>
> Tord Romstad

Genius 4 also has the merge book feature. It never worked in Genius 3.
Curiously, it was documented in version 3 but not documented in version
4. Being a Windows program allows use of icons and easy laout of your
war room. The PGN capability is a GODsend. I used it to import all of
the Karpov-Kamsky games that I got off the net in PGN format. Once you
import the game, it immediately takes you to the final position and
starts analyzing it if it is an adjournment. It has never crashed on me
and can even run when other programs are open, but that is not
recommended by Richard Lang the programmer. The best feature is the
ability to recognize what opening transposition the board position is.
It gives you the ECO no. at the bottom of the screen as long as you have
user books enabled. You will find that the ECO no. changes as the board
position changes to reflect the transposition. It seems to catch all
transpositions even when off by 1 tempo. The Genius opening book editor
is the one I will keep using until Bookup corrects their option to allow
Backsolving to favour unclear over equality or equality over unclear for
either one side or the other side. I have bought the Genius GM books and
they seem to have all known theory including some bad lines. 6,000,000
moves!!!!! Once Bookup corrects the above option, I will be forced to
use Bookup for my opening book editor because then Backsolving will be
truly functional and it will be so much faster than using other editors
like the Genius. I don't know how I will transfer my 39 GM user books
though. BTW, whenever an Informant comes out, I go through the games in
my repertoire and electronically update the GM user books. Genius allows
4 evaluation comments, but that is enough if you are creative in using
them.
--
Komputer Korner