Announcing HIARCS 4.0 for PC and MAC

Mark John Uniacke

Dec 19, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/19/95

This is a product information announcement about the new HIARCS 4.0
for the PC and HIARCS International for the MAC.

HIARCS 4.0 (PC)
---------------
Chess Strength: HIARCS 4.0 is about 50 Elo stronger than HIARCS 3.0 which
itself reached 3rd on the renowned Swedish Rating List (SSDF).
Expect SSDF Elo 2460 and a possible top placing.

Main Features:
o Analyse Game for white, black or both sides,
o 100,000 unique position opening book with great variety and depth
(4 million moves by transposition),
o 3 different opening books,
o Dynamic middle game and large knowledge of endgame techniques,
o Transposition table up to 128Mb using extended mode,
o PGN Import/Export/Delete,
o EPD Import/Export/Delete/Process,
o 3 playing styles, 3 distinct search techniques
o Monitor 2 player analysis with up to 3 simultaneous variations calculated,
o Infinite playing levels with Instant, Infinite, Average response, Adaptive,
Preset time controls, User defined primary, secondary and tertiary
time controls, Incremental (Fischer type) clock.
o Displayed and selectable opening book moves
o Very easy position set up,
o Opening name classification by ECO code,
o Find Keypoint/Mistake,
o Analysis Export,
o Textual Annotations,
o Next Best,
o Auto play,
o Short Algebraic,
o Opening book editor,
o Compatible with Tasc SmartBoard and Auto232 board
o Special auto play game counting
o Interworks with Chess Assistant and BookUp
o Rates its and your play,
o VGA graphics with improved pieces

Minimum System Requirements: 386 with 640K memory, VGA, DOS 3.1 onwards.

HIARCS 4.0 is copy protected with "infinite" installs and free
replacement of faulty disks.

HIARCS International (MAC)
--------------------------
Chess Strength: Uses same chess engine as HIARCS 4.0.
We believe HIARCS International is significantly stronger than
any other MAC chess software especially at tournament time
controls.

Main Features:
Almost all the features of the PC version mentioned above with the addition
of dragging pieces, use of MAC toolkit and dialogues etc.
Opening book editor, 3rd party auto play board support, multiple variations
and annotation are not included.

Minimum System Requirements: System 7.1 & onwards. It is unverified on system
7.04 but should work. 68020 or better, Min 4Mb.
HIARCS International is NOT copy protected.

Upgrade path available for both PC and MAC owners of older generation
HIARCS products.

Season's Greetings,
Mark

Moritz Berger

Dec 22, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/22/95
Hi Mark,

since your program is available both for the Power Mac and Pentium, can you give us
some performance comparisons between the platforms?

Thanks

Moritz

Moritz Berger
ber...@zeus.informatik.uni-bonn.de

Ralf W. Stephan

Dec 22, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/22/95
Mark John Uniacke writes:
> HIARCS 4.0 is copy protected with "infinite" installs and free
> replacement of faulty disks. ^^^^^^^^

Bravo!

ralf
--
PGP: 1024/0xA713ECE9 2047/0xC8E605F5

Richard Reich

Dec 23, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/23/95
In article <1995Dec22....@ark.franken.de> ra...@ark.franken.de (Ralf W. Stephan) writes:
>Mark John Uniacke writes:
>> HIARCS 4.0 is copy protected with "infinite" installs and free
>> replacement of faulty disks.

Of course, Hiarcs 2.1 had extremely unfriendly copy protection: ONE INSTALL,
with a deinstallation feature that was useless when both my floppy drives died.

ChessMan

Dec 24, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/24/95

Hiarcs is not optimized for Power PC yet - still 680x0 code.

ChessMan

Dec 24, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/24/95
You can't expect the programmers to warrant your floppy drives as well. Almost
all programs have a set of requirements - one of which is to have a 'working'
floppy drive or CD drive. If you no longer meet the requirements due to a hardware
failure, in this case the floppy drive - but it could have been the processor - you
need to repair/replace the defective component. Last time I checked, floppy drives
were selling between US $ 50-70.

BYU COUGAR

Dec 25, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/25/95
So how can we get one? Please post address/cost, etc...

Clive Thomson

Dec 26, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/26/95
In article <rmreich.42...@facstaff.wisc.edu>
rmr...@facstaff.wisc.edu (Richard Reich) writes:

> In article <1995Dec22....@ark.franken.de> ra...@ark.franken.de (Ralf W. Stephan) writes:
> >Mark John Uniacke writes:
> >> HIARCS 4.0 is copy protected with "infinite" installs and free
> >> replacement of faulty disks.
>

> Of course, Hiarcs 2.1 had extremely unfriendly copy protection: ONE INSTALL,
> with a deinstallation feature that was useless when both my floppy drives died.

and now it does not ! This just goes to show that Mark et al, listen
and
respond to their customers comments.

That is the value of constructive criticism !

Have a good new year !

Clive

-
- Clive Thomson cl...@atm-man.demon.co.uk -
- Software Engineer. Speaking only for myself -
-
Three addresses always inspire perfect confidence,
even in tradesmen - Oscar Wilde