CHEOPS 1.2 -- An AI chess engine -- released on 2015-02-01

Tristan Miller

Feb 3, 2015, 6:47:02 AM2/3/15
CHEOPS 1.2 -- An AI chess engine -- released on 2015-02-01

About:
CHEOPS (CHEss OPponent Simulator), or Χεοψ, is a fully-functional AI chess
program capable of human vs. human, human vs. computer, and computer vs.
computer play. It uses a 64-square linear array board representation. The
game tree search is alpha-beta, and the static evaluation function
considers material, mobility, and motif features. CHEOPS comes with
extensive documentation on the program internals, aimed at students or
programmers wishing to understand or extend the system.

Changes since v1.1:
* Fixed some problems which prevented compilation with modern
(and more standards-compliant) versions of GCC

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)
Home page: http://www.nothingisreal.com/cheops/
Tar/BZ2: http://www.nothingisreal.com/cheops/cheops.tar.bz2
Change log: http://files.nothingisreal.com/software/cheops/NEWS
Maintainer: Tristan Miller <psych...@nothingisreal.com>

--
_
_V.-o Tristan Miller >< Space is limited

Rainer

Feb 3, 2015, 12:39:02 PM2/3/15
On 03/02/2015 12:47, Tristan Miller wrote:
> CHEOPS 1.2 -- An AI chess engine -- released on 2015-02-01
>
> About:
> CHEOPS (CHEss OPponent Simulator), or Χεοψ, is a fully-functional AI chess
> program capable of human vs. human, human vs. computer, and computer vs.
> computer play. It uses a 64-square linear array board representation. The
> game tree search is alpha-beta, and the static evaluation function
> considers material, mobility, and motif features. CHEOPS comes with
> extensive documentation on the program internals, aimed at students or
> programmers wishing to understand or extend the system.
> [...]

Hard to believe that this isn't 20 years old, lol

Tristan Miller

Feb 3, 2015, 2:09:07 PM2/3/15
Greetings.
It's 17 years old, as a matter of fact, though I don't see why that's so
much easier to believe than 20.

Regards,
Tristan

k....@planet.nl

Feb 6, 2015, 2:34:32 AM2/6/15
well he's probably suggesting it is a 'clone',
in other words you started with older code from
someone else (without mentioning the original program)
So if that's the case, you 'borrowed' some code,
it should be mentioned ie via the gpl licensing and so on.
That's all, because 'clones' arent so popular
nowadays, eg since the rybka affair(s).

jef
http://superchess.blogspot.com

best place to discuss chess programs is on talkchess.com

Op dinsdag 3 februari 2015 20:09:07 UTC+1 schreef Tristan Miller:
> Greetings.

Tristan Miller

Feb 6, 2015, 7:24:42 AM2/6/15
Greetings.

In article <news:d82c8cc2-4f04-4a42...@googlegroups.com>,
k....@planet.nl wrote:
> well he's probably suggesting it is a 'clone',
> in other words you started with older code from
> someone else (without mentioning the original program)
> So if that's the case, you 'borrowed' some code,
> it should be mentioned ie via the gpl licensing and so on.
> That's all, because 'clones' arent so popular
> nowadays, eg since the rybka affair(s).

If that's really what he's suggesting, then he couldn't be more wrong.
Every line of code in CHEOPS was written entirely by myself. The console
output is rather bare-bones and therefore resembles similar text-mode
engines such as GNU Chess, though as the source code for both is freely
available under the GPL it's trivial to check and see that there's no
overlap.