a new place to discuss computer chess topics

Robert Hyatt

Oct 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/7/97

To all readers of rec.games.chess.computer:

The Computer Chess Club message board is a free service that has been
set up by a group of individuals who became concerned with the
persistent breaches of netiquette occurring on the newsgroup,
rec.games.chess.computer, namely a very high level of off-topic posts
and a very high level of personal insults and abuse.

It was felt that a group where a full range of computer chess ideas
could be discussed, and, if necessary attacked, without also making
personal attacks on the deliverer of the ideas, would be productive.
This might well encourage various well-known figures who were no
longer posting in rec.games.chess.computer to return to the arena of
discussion without fear of insult or abuse.

The CCC is moderated, but not in the traditional sense, there will be no
black-list with regard to passwords, but 'abusive' posts will just be
removed. Persistent 'offenders' may find their passwords withdrawn.
Hopefully this will create an atmosphere in which ideas can be discussed
and attacked, without the bearer of the ideas being attacked as well.

Thus, the Computer Chess Club is a moderated message board which
is open to the general public (known as "members"). Its purpose is
to allow the members to disseminate and exchange information as it
pertains to computer chess without the distractions of personal
attacks and off-topic posts.

If you would like to participate, please come to
http://www.icdchess.com/ccc.html and sign up for a password which
will allow free access to the message board.

Bob Hyatt
Andreas Mader
Ed Schroeder
Bruce Moreland
Chris Whittington
Enrique Irazoqui
Thorsten Czub
Moritz Berger

Jeff Kenton

Oct 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/7/97

i...@icdchess.com (ICD/Your Move Chess & Games) writes:

>Becoming a member of Computer Chess Club is a simple procedure:
> 1) Go to http://www.icdchess.com/ccc.html
> 2) Sign up for a free password.

I tried this, and it replied that my name ("jkenton") was already in
use. Seems hard to believe. Not yet a bug-free procedure.

= Jeff Kenton (781) 894-4510 jke...@world.std.com =
= Kenton Systems Corporation http://world.std.com/~jkenton =

Komputer Korner

Oct 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/7/97

Now that I have got my password, how do I get to the actual message board
itself?
--
- -
Komputer Korner

The inkompetent komputer

If you see a 1 in my email address, take it out before replying.
Please do not email both me and the r.g.c.c. at the same time. I read all
the postings on r.g.c.c.

Robert Hyatt <hyatt@crafty> wrote in article
<61dkrj$a...@juniper.cis.uab.edu>...

Enrique Irazoqui

Oct 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/7/97

Komputer Korner <kor...@netcom.ca> escribió en artículo
<01bcd340$a20d9ca0$eb5ab5cf@ALAN>...

> Now that I have got my password, how do I get to the actual message board
> itself?

The URL is http://www.icdchess.com/ccc/

Enrique

Robert Hyatt

Oct 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/7/97

Komputer Korner (kor...@netcom.ca) wrote:
: Now that I have got my password, how do I get to the actual message board
: itself?

I point my browser at this:

http://www.icdchess.com/ccc/

and it prompts me for my username and password...

Bob

pulgao

Oct 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/8/97

hyatt@crafty (Robert Hyatt) wrote:

>rec.games.chess.computer, namely a very high level of off-topic posts
>and a very high level of personal insults and abuse.

>Chris Whittington

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chris was one of the worst offenders!!!!

ROTFLMAO!

-- Steve Lopez

Read my book "Battle Royale", serialized at:
http://www.chessbaseusa.com/NY1924/ny1924.htm

I don't like work -- no man does -- but I like what is in the work: the
chance to find yourself. -- Joseph Conrad

Dave

Oct 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/8/97

On Wed, 08 Oct 1997 03:09:08 GMT, bays...@intrepid.net (pulgao)
wrote:

>!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
>Chris was one of the worst offenders!!!!
>
>ROTFLMAO!

Arise from that floor, Steve. There were a lot of insults, by many
authors. This may be just what's needed - a place for a meeting of
ideas, and *not* more abuses.

Chris is just a guy, not the patron saint of patience and magnanimity.
With luck, all of us, will put the boorish manners of the past where
they belong - in the past, finally.

Will that be *one* round of "Auld Lang Syne", or *two*? I recommend
our NG dj play it once each day for a month!

"We'll take a cup of kindness, yet, for Auld Lang Syne".

Regards,

Dave