Computer learning chess from scratch? Morph?

John Michael Sauder

Apr 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/16/96
I used to have a little game on my Apple ][+ that would learn
how to play by playing the user. At first it was totally stupid, but
then it would begin to "learn" (copy?) strategy and eventually got good
enough that it beat me a few times. However, this was NOT a chess game.

I've been intrigued with the possibility of doing this with
chess. I came across a reference to a program called Morph by Robert
Levinson at the Univ of CA, Santa Cruz. Morph started only with a list
of legal moves and after many games (against GNU Chess), it was able to
play a decent game of chess.

I would love to play around with a program like this. Does
anyone know if an old version of "Morph" is available, or if there are
any other programs like this available?
--

-- Mike S. (M_Sa...@fccc.edu)
www.fccc.edu/research/labs/roder/mike.html

Jay Scott

Apr 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/17/96
Morph used to be available for ftp, but as far as I know it's no
longer on the net. To find out for sure, you might try asking
Jonathan Allen <tick...@cse.ucsc.edu>, who's working on Morph III.

Jay Scott <j...@forum.swarthmore.edu>

Machine Learning in Games:
http://forum.swarthmore.edu/~jay/learn-game/index.html