Chess 4.5 from 1976

Robert Harrington

Apr 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/20/96

Chess 4.5 won the 1976 U.S.Computer Chess championship.
(It ran on a Control Data Cyber 170.) It was programed
by Larry Atkin and David Slate from Northwestern University
in Evanston,Ill.

What ever happened to Chess 4.5? Did it become a commercial
chess program? It won many championships during the 1970's.

Robert

Robert Hyatt

Apr 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/22/96
In article <4leqg4$14...@ns.cowboy.net>,

No, it never became commercial. It, too, used bitmaps that made
running on small micros impractical.

The last thournament I remember it playing in was maybe 1978 or
1979 (ACM events). By 1978 Belle was more than 2x faster. Dave
Slate then re-wrote it from scratch and called it NuChess, which
competed in several ACM events up through the middle-80's. Dave
also has yet another new program that competed on ICC for a while last
year, but I haven't seen him in there in a while...

He's (to me, anyway) one of the "two high priests" of computer
chess (Ken is the other). :)

Bob
--
Robert Hyatt Computer and Information Sciences
hy...@cis.uab.edu University of Alabama at Birmingham

Steven J. Edwards

Apr 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/23/96
hy...@cis.uab.edu (Robert Hyatt) writes:
>Robert Harrington <rhi...@cowboy.net> wrote:

>>Chess 4.5 won the 1976 U.S.Computer Chess championship.
>>(It ran on a Control Data Cyber 170.) It was programed
>>by Larry Atkin and David Slate from Northwestern University
>>in Evanston,Ill.
>>
>>What ever happened to Chess 4.5? Did it become a commercial
>>chess program? It won many championships during the 1970's.

>No, it never became commercial. It, too, used bitmaps that made

>running on small micros impractical.

True. But one of the authors (Slate?) went on to market a Chess 7.0
(?) sometime around 1980 as an Apple II program (6502 microprocessor).
I seriously doubt if it used bitboards. But it may have had an
effectively equivalent search and evaluation.

-- Steven (s...@mv.mv.com)

Jean-Christophe Weill

Apr 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/23/96

Well, this one the first opponent of my programs :)
It was named CHess 7.0 and I supposed the author was Larry Atkin.
(and Perhaps Peter Frey with him) works on IBM PC...

I was very glad that my first chess program was able to beat it...

BTW, the *graphics* of this program latter influence the graphics
of Turbo Chess which was a Turbo Pascal program of the early '80.

Just my 0.02$

From: Jean-Christophe Weill
NEC Research Institute (Room 2f07) 4 Independence Way Princeton NJ 08540
USA
Phone: (609) 951-2792 Email: j...@research.nj.nec.com
Fax: (609) 951-2482 ("for J.C. Weill")

Benoit St-Jean

Apr 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/24/96

hy...@cis.uab.edu (Robert Hyatt) wrote:

>The last thournament I remember it playing in was maybe 1978 or
>1979 (ACM events). By 1978 Belle was more than 2x faster. Dave
>Slate then re-wrote it from scratch and called it NuChess, which
>competed in several ACM events up through the middle-80's. Dave
>also has yet another new program that competed on ICC for a while last
>year, but I haven't seen him in there in a while...

>He's (to me, anyway) one of the "two high priests" of computer
>chess (Ken is the other). :)

You could also include yourself in the list... :)

Robert Hyatt

Apr 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/26/96

In article <4ljt7t$q...@cumin.telecom.uqam.ca>,

Honestly, no. I've had great respect for Dave and Ken over the years.
While they were in my age bracket, they were more experienced yet they
never refused to answer a question or accept a phone call. I still
respect them for that. There were many others, too, but you had to have
been there to understand the excitement of a Belle vs Chess 4.x game.

Later on, for us at least, the excitement of a Cray Blitz vs Belle game
was high, but never quite lived up to those legendary games. The game
I most remember was 1978 in Washington. An astounding game where the
"apparent winner" changed almost every move. Pieces hung everywhere,
both kings exposed... Ah, those were the days... :)

One day we should get a group together and post a few "best of the best"
anecdotes from past ACM events. There were plenty of "good 'uns"... :)

CWilli1596

Apr 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/28/96

>One day we should get a group together and post a few "best of the best"
>anecdotes from past ACM events. There were plenty of "good 'uns"... :)
>--
>Robert Hyatt Computer and Information Sciences
>hy...@cis.uab.edu University of Alabama at Birmingham
>(205) 934-2213 115A Campbell Hall, UAB Station
>(205) 934-5473 FAX Birmingham, AL 35294-1170

If you do, please post some games too!

Chuck