Tascbase 2.0 - worth it?

mig

Jan 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/11/97

I've been using Tascbase 1.1 for a few years and it satisfies my basic
needs. However, the data format is very susceptible to corruption causing
many lost games and crashes, searching is slow and having to run it in a
DOS window in Win95 is a pain.
I downloaded the 2.0 demo and although it seems to be the same on the
surface, the most important improvements can't really be tested in the demo
version. Improved search speed can't be tested with the demo base of less
than 1,000 games, nor can the stability of the data format be tested
adequately. I'll assume that the analysis module/playing program is
stronger.
Has anyone upgraded from 1.0/1.1 to 2.0? What do you think? Even if you
never had 1.0/1.1 please give me your opinions of 2.0. I'd love to know how
long it takes to search a large (500,000+ games) base for name and
position. Is the "clipboard" feature useful at all? Any problems with
crashes and "corrupted data" errors? Lord knows how many thousands of games
I've lost from endless backing up and recreating my bases after these
errors in 1.0/1.1.

Thanks much for any help.

saludos, mig

Komputer Korner

Jan 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/13/97

Well I don't have a 500,000 game database in TAscbase but on a 25000
game database it took 4 seconds to search on one player. As for
corruption, I haven't experienced any problems but I am not a major
user because of time. The clipboard is neat. You can store a game in it
and recall it at any time. Works exactly like the Windows clipboard.
--
Komputer Korner

The komputer that kouldn't keep a password safe from
prying eyes, kouldn't kompute the square root of 36^n,
kouldn't find the real Motive and variation tree in
ChessBase and missed the real learning feature of Nimzo.

Eric Schiller

Jan 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/13/97

I am much happier about the Tascbase 2.0 upgrade than I am with
Chessbase 6.0. The CD-ROM endgame databases are included, and a number
of things have been tweaked. Runs quite well in a Win95 Dos Window.
Better PGN handling, and my Chessbase data converts a bit more
cleanly.

There are still many shortcomings (it is still DOS, awkward and clumsy
interface, uninformative icons etc.) but it is much better for
entering games and every feature I use works as advertized. So I would
definitely pay the affordable upgrade price.

Eric Schiller
(who uses CB, CA, TB, DJV and Bookup)