Compressed Nalimov EGTBs

Leonardo Ljubicic

Nov 18, 2003, 7:00:23 AM11/18/03
What is the difference/loss in using the compressed tablebases? They seem to
take far less space on disk?

Leonardo

Robert Hyatt

Nov 18, 2003, 9:49:10 AM11/18/03

> Leonardo

1. They take about 1/10th the normal space.

2. They are actually faster to use this way. You end up doing less I/O
(which is slow) which gets replaced by on-the-fly decompression (fast on
todays computers).

In short, it is a win-win all the way around. I use them compressed on
my machine, and I am using 15K U320 scsi drives, which are as fast as they
come right now.

--
Robert M. Hyatt, Ph.D. Computer and Information Sciences
hy...@uab.edu University of Alabama at Birmingham

Leonardo Ljubicic

Nov 19, 2003, 5:08:27 AM11/19/03
And, besides generating them compressed using tbgen.exe (where to
download?), is there a place to download them? Thanks

Leonardo

"Robert Hyatt" <hy...@crafty.cis.uab.edu> wrote in message

Robert Hyatt

Nov 19, 2003, 9:46:04 AM11/19/03
Leonardo Ljubicic <leonardo...@st.hinet.hr> wrote:
> And, besides generating them compressed using tbgen.exe (where to
> download?), is there a place to download them? Thanks

tbgen doesn't generate them compressed. You have to compress them
after generation.

all the available 3-4-5-6 piece files are available at
ftp.cis.uab.edu/pub/hyatt/TB. About 500gb so far and
counting...

Leonardo Ljubicic

Nov 19, 2003, 11:19:07 AM11/19/03

> Leonardo Ljubicic <leonardo...@st.hinet.hr> wrote:
> > And, besides generating them compressed using tbgen.exe (where to
> > download?), is there a place to download them? Thanks
>
> tbgen doesn't generate them compressed. You have to compress them
> after generation.

Compress them how? I downloaded all 3-4-5 piece files, and they take 7Gb.
(BTW, why aren't they available on this server compressed? Saves a lot of
money to all.)

Leonardo

Robert Hyatt

Nov 19, 2003, 1:32:04 PM11/19/03
Leonardo Ljubicic <leonardo...@st.hinet.hr> wrote:

> "Robert Hyatt" <hy...@crafty.cis.uab.edu> wrote in message
>> Leonardo Ljubicic <leonardo...@st.hinet.hr> wrote:
>> > And, besides generating them compressed using tbgen.exe (where to
>> > download?), is there a place to download them? Thanks
>>
>> tbgen doesn't generate them compressed. You have to compress them
>> after generation.

> Compress them how? I downloaded all 3-4-5 piece files, and they take 7Gb.
> (BTW, why aren't they available on this server compressed? Saves a lot of
> money to all.)

They _are_ compressed. The .emd extension indicates this. This is a
tablebase specific compression algorithm that is optimized for tablebase
type data, and also designed so that it is efficient to do on-the-fly
decompression during a game...