More MK-JF match results...

Murat Kalinyaprak

Jul 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/18/98
5 matches of 15 points played consecutively from
seed=100 counter=100 with JF rolling the dice:

(all scores in MK-JF order with winner indicated
in parantheses)

Match1: 2-0 3-0 5-0 21-0 (MK)
Match2: 1-0 3-0 19-0 (MK)
Match3: 0-2 0-6 8-6 10-6 10-10 11-10 11-12 11-14 12-14 12-15 (JF)
Match4: 6-0 8-0 8-4 8-8 9-8 9-10 11-10 43-10 (MK)
Match5: 0-2 8-2 9-2 9-4 9-6 13-6 13-22 (JF)

Total points: 101-54

If you eliminate the cube and 3 point gammons (as
in traditional Middle-Eastern style):

Match1: 1-0 2-0 4-0 5-0
Match2: 1-0 2-0 3-0
Match3: 0-1 0-3 1-3 2-3 2-4 3-4 3-5 3-6 4-6 4-7
Match4: 2-0 3-0 3-2 3-3 4-3 4-4 5-4 7-4
Match5: 0-1 1-1 2-1 2-2 2-3 3-3 3-4

Total points: 22-15

If you also eliminate 2 point games (i.e. 1 point
per game):

Match1: 1-0 2-0 3-0 4-0
Match2: 1-0 2-0 3-0
Match3: 0-1 0-2 1-2 2-2 2-3 3-3 3-4 3-5 4-5 4-6
Match4: 1-0 2-0 2-1 2-2 3-2 3-3 4-3 5-3
Match5: 0-1 1-1 2-1 2-2 2-3 3-3 3-4

Total points (games): 19-13

There were some interesting games in there and I
can post/mail match files if wanted. I'll just
include here the last few moves of the very last
game (which was one of the interesting ones), as
a good example of an obvious mistake I made and
how I paid for it:

13 14 15 16 17 18 | |19 20 21 22 23 24
------------------| |-----------------
| | X O O O OOOO
| | O O O
| | O O O
|O|
| |
| | X X X
| | X X X X X
X | | X X X X X
------------------| |-----------------
12 11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

JF has 4 off the board, 1 on the bar. I'm "X"
and to play 5-1. But before we get to that, let's
see how the board looked at the end of the 13th
move and how I got to this point:

13 14 15 16 17 18 | |19 20 21 22 23 24
------------------| |-----------------
X | | O O O O O O
X | | O O O O O O
| | O O O O O O
| | O O
|X|
| |
X | | X
X | | X
X | | X
X | | X
X | | X
------------------| |-----------------
12 11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

Looked pretty bad for me, huh...? So, I had tried
very hard to turn this game around and by 32nd move
things were looking like I could actually pull this
one off. But with the excitement, impatience and
overconfidence, came a *bad* move. I played 8/2...!
What I had done hit me :) as soon as I clicked for
the next roll for JF, but it was too late... Here
is what followed:

Game 7
JellyFish : 6 Player2 : 13
32) .......... 51: 8/2
33) 52: 25/23* 23/18 21:
34) 61: 18/11 32:
35) 21: 3/1 11/10 42: 25/21 4/2
36) 41: 10/5 66: 21/9 19/7
37) 52: 5/0 2/0 51: 9/4 7/6
38) 65: 3/0 3/0 32: 3/0 2/0
39) 53: 2/0 2/0 22: 4/0 4/0
40) 61: 1/0 1/0 55: 6/1 6/1 5/0 5/0
41) 65: 1/0 1/0 43: 4/0 3/0
42) 61: 1/0
Wins 16 points and the match

Still, not too bad of a result against the "great
Jellyfish", I guess...

Couple of days ago in one article, somebody had
offered to bet $10/point on JF against me. Maybe
I should have taken it (only kidding:)... These
5 matches would have earned me $470. If I hadn't
made the above late mistake, that could have been
easily $790. Wow! I could have bought 2 copies of
Snowie with that and still have change left... :)
Should I quit my job already...?

MK

BTW: many mistakes of mine are due to the speed
I play at (i.e. Middle-Eastern coffee-house
style and speed, if you know what I mean). I'll
try to slow down a little to see if I can make
things go even better for me.

Gary Wong

Jul 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/18/98
mu...@cyberport.net (Murat Kalinyaprak) writes:
> Couple of days ago in one article, somebody had
> offered to bet $10/point on JF against me. Maybe
> I should have taken it (only kidding:)... These
> 5 matches would have earned me $470. If I hadn't
> made the above late mistake, that could have been
> easily $790. Wow! I could have bought 2 copies of
> Snowie with that and still have change left... :)
> Should I quit my job already...?

One small point -- playing for money is VERY different than playing in a
match. You can't take match scores and assume anything meaningful in
money terms. If you are behind in the match, then it is correct to be
more liberal with the cube (and even chequer play) to increase the
volatility of the remainder of the match; the leader should be more
conservative. It's possible for the trailer to have a correct double
when they would drop for money; and possible for the leader to have
a correct drop when they would beaver for money. For money, it's never
correct to risk a lot to gain a little; in a match it certainly could
be.

If you were playing Jellyfish for $10 a point, you wouldn't do it as
part of a match; you'd play a series of independent games.

Cheers,
Gary.
--
Gary Wong, Department of Computer Science, University of Arizona
ga...@cs.arizona.edu http://www.cs.arizona.edu/~gary/