QUICKWAY (better graphics?)

Bill Taylor

Nov 16, 2007, 8:15:02 PM11/16/07
So, yet another version of a quadrangular-board but Hex-style
connection game!

Though this may be the last one; the last of its family, anyway,
but I'm sure the ingenuity of gamers will extend further.

The current game belongs to the family represented by
Mark Steere's "Crossway", and my own "Quax" and "Quadrex".
It is most like Crossway, which I acknowledge in the name
"Quickway", while keeping the Qu- motif,
as for QUadrangular-connection games.

The games are all essentially the same, one side has to connect
the north and south edges, the other the east and west edges,
by orthogonal paths of stones, alternately placed. Like Hex.

The differences arise by how to treat
a "Cross-cut", "Stymie" or "Impasse". e.g.

More specifically, how to treat . . . .
the situation where 3/4 of . X O .
a stymie has occurred... . , X .
: . . . .

In Quadrex, the 4th point (,) is automatically filled as X;

In Quax, the 4th point may be played, then resolve cross-cuts
by allowing either player to use a turn to mark in a diagonal,
(these may not cross).

In Crossway, the 4th point (,) is forbidden to O,

In Quickway, the diagonal connection between the 2 X's is filled
in automaticaly, and the 4th point (,) may be filled by either.

So Quickway is a kind of cross between Quax and Crossway,
in that the final board will look very like a Quax game,
but the "Hane" shown at the above right is
a guaranteed connection for X.

As far as playing goes, I expect it is most like Crossway;
the new game is just a variant of it. Although the diagonal
connection between the X's is not marked in Crossway,
it is effectively there. Most games would be identical,
with a very rare case of where O might want to fill
that 4th point for some other reason.
It seems more natural to me to allow him to do so.

As I say, I think this may be the final member of this family,
in that Mark and I seem to have covered every case of what
to do with a 3/4 stymie, regarding the status of the diagonal
connection and also the status of the 4th point.

status of fourth point

imposed allowed forbidden
____________________________
|________|_________|__________|
|(quadrex) | quax | (crossway) | diag
|________|_________|__________|

Very cute!

As always, a swap option on the 2nd half-turn is required
for equalization, and the size of the board is a parameter.
The same size should suit both Crossway and Quickway,
which as I say are almost identical.

So...

QUICKWAY
========
Played on a square quadrangular board of arbitrary size.

Players alternately place one of their stones (an unlimited supply)
on any free cell of the board. Once placed, a stone is not moved.

The goal is for one player to connect the north and south edges by
an orthogonal path of stones (perhaps augmented by diagonal lines),
and the other is to connect east and west.

When stones of the same colour occur on diagonally adjacent cells,
the corresponding diagonal line is automatically filled,
unless it would cross over a previously marked diagonal.

Have fun!

Bill Taylor, (with due acknowledgements to Mark Steere).

eric...@gmail.com

Feb 12, 2017, 2:27:50 PM2/12/17
I independently discovered this game recently too: http://hexandoct.net16.net

http://hexandoct.000webhostapp.com

My favorite game. I emailed Bill about my discovery, but he never told me that he discovered it first!

Moh Bel

Feb 13, 2017, 2:06:48 PM2/13/17
Do not worry Bill Taylor himself is not the first.
Your game Oct is flawed anyway.

eric...@gmail.com

Feb 13, 2017, 9:19:29 PM2/13/17
What are the flaws?