pokerspot, dutch boyd, and burton ritchie

Paul Phillips

Aug 6, 2003, 6:03:15 PM8/6/03
In article <3f3175c5$0$15229$9a6e...@news.newshosting.com>,
Mister Poker <anon...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>Regarding the opportunity to make players whole and choosing not too, I'm
>assuming you are talking about the deal Burton Ritchie made public after I
>criticized Paul Westley. The reason that deal did not go down had a lot
>more to it then a non-compete clause.

The deal in question can be found here. A lot of people may have
missed it the first time around since it's buried in a thread.

http://tinyurl.com/j8bh

Dutch, it would appear from my vantage point that you don't have
anything to lose by revealing what "more to it" that deal had that
made it fall through. Even as bad as your reputation is already, you
started looking a thousand times worse when it was plausibly alleged
that you were offered an escape route that would have paid everyone the
money they were owed, and left you with some money for your troubles.

You may believe that you have already been judged by rgp, and that's
probably true, but that doesn't mean you give up on presenting your side
of the story if you believe you have been judged unfairly.

--
Paul Phillips | Gir! Remember with your brains... you must
Everyman | behave like a human dog monster.

Mister Poker

Aug 6, 2003, 7:02:55 PM8/6/03
The reason that deal didn't go through was because Golden Palace offered
us 3x times what Burton offered us. I signed the deal and moved to
Montreal to work with them. Four months later they pulled out of the
contract. When they did, I contacted Burton and asked if he was still
interested in doing something. He said he wasn't.

Posted using RecPoker.com - http://www.recpoker.com

Paul Phillips

Aug 6, 2003, 7:12:09 PM8/6/03
In article <3f31891f$0$15240$9a6e...@news.newshosting.com>,

Mister Poker <anon...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>The reason that deal didn't go through was because Golden Palace offered
>us 3x times what Burton offered us. I signed the deal and moved to
>Montreal to work with them. Four months later they pulled out of the
>contract. When they did, I contacted Burton and asked if he was still
>interested in doing something. He said he wasn't.

Hard to tell from here whether the bird in the hand was any more or less
likely to fall through than the one in the bush, but that sounds too much
like you chose to gamble with $400,000 that wasn't yours. And lost.

--
Paul Phillips | You're sitting there thinking your thoughts
Analgesic | They are not about what is but what is not

AlwaysAware

Aug 6, 2003, 7:14:39 PM8/6/03
Thank you for your response.

As a law graduate, surely you didn't sign a contract and move to Montreal
without "upfront" money. Do you do due diligence and determine that they could
indeed come through with 3x's the money Burton offered and what recourse you
had to sue if they failed to live up to the contract? Did you sue? Did you
receive any upfront money? Was there any provision to pay back those with
money on deposit with PokerSpot? And, if so was any of that money given at the
front end of the deal.. if not, why not? And if no money was ever allocated to
depositers of PokerSpot, why not?

Joan

Joan>From: "Mister Poker"

NWBurbsCouple

Aug 6, 2003, 8:54:35 PM8/6/03
>he reason that deal didn't go through was because Golden Palace offered
>>us 3x times what Burton offered us. I signed the deal and moved to
>>Montreal to work with them. Four months later they pulled out of the
>>contract.

Not a very ironclad contract, eh?

Gary Carson

Aug 6, 2003, 9:08:51 PM8/6/03
On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 22:03:15 GMT, Paul Phillips <rgp...@improving.org>
wrote:

>In article <3f3175c5$0$15229$9a6e...@news.newshosting.com>,
>Mister Poker <anon...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>Regarding the opportunity to make players whole and choosing not
too, I'm
>>assuming you are talking about the deal Burton Ritchie made public
after I
>>criticized Paul Westley. The reason that deal did not go down had a
lot
>>more to it then a non-compete clause.
>
>The deal in question can be found here. A lot of people may have
>missed it the first time around since it's buried in a thread.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/j8bh
>
>Dutch, it would appear from my vantage point that you don't have
>anything to lose by revealing what "more to it" that deal had that
>made it fall through. Even as bad as your reputation is already, you
>started looking a thousand times worse when it was plausibly alleged
>that you were offered an escape route that would have paid everyone
the
>money they were owed, and left you with some money for your troubles.
>
>You may believe that you have already been judged by rgp, and that's
>probably true, but that doesn't mean you give up on presenting your
side
>of the story if you believe you have been judged unfairly.

It really doesn't matter what the deal was. He was using customer
monies as working capital. He wasn't doing adequate screening to
protect against rampant credit card fraud. And it blew up.

He's a crook. His whole business plan was based on fraud.

Gary Carson

minus200

Aug 6, 2003, 10:49:29 PM8/6/03
Must have been some "deal" that you signed. What a bunch of crap. I dont
believe you are a lawyer and doubt seriously if you have ANY degree from a
reputable university. I made a prediction when you had a big stack of chips -- I
said you were a loser and that you would find a way to lose. I wont comment on
your play - just to say if that had worked you would have found another way to
lose. At one time you might have gotten away with some of your yarns. You have
told so many now I dont think you know which are true and which are dreams. You
are a rail bird preying on people who will believe your stories and scams.
Perhaps at one time you had good intentions but you will never have the character
to follow up. You word is no good and you live by the ratchet jaw con that has
gotten your by so far. Believe this, the poker world is not that big -- the
number of suckers are that you may feed on is getting smaller and smaller. By
now I am sure Moneymaker has heard about you and I doubt he would be so polite
today.

Tell us another story about how none of it was your fault and gives us your new
plan

Mister Poker

Aug 6, 2003, 10:46:53 PM8/6/03
The Burton Ritchie deal wasn't "in the hand" anymore or less than the
Golden Palace deal was. In fact, I feel the GP deal was less likely to
fall through given that they have a yearly take of about $50m / year and
all Burton Ritchie had was a couple headshops in Florida.

Dutch

Gary Carson

Aug 6, 2003, 10:59:20 PM8/6/03
You feel?

Did they teach you that in law school?

On 07 Aug 2003 02:46:53 GMT, "Mister Poker" <anon...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>The Burton Ritchie deal wasn't "in the hand" anymore or less than the

>Golden Palace deal was. In fact, I feel the GP deal was less likely
>fall through given that they have a yearly take of about $50m / year
and
>all Burton Ritchie had was a couple headshops in Florida.

Gary Carson

NWBurbsCouple

Aug 7, 2003, 10:04:28 AM8/7/03
I gotta hand it to Dutch Boyd's crew, though. They already have revolutionized
poker. Boyd's boys were pioneers in the art of fleecing online players, and
for that they will go down in poker history like the riverboat conmen and
holdout artists.

Gary Carson

Aug 7, 2003, 11:08:27 AM8/7/03
On 07 Aug 2003 14:04:28 GMT, nwburb...@aol.comnojunk
(NWBurbsCouple) wrote:

And, when they're finished with poker I have no doubt that they'll
revolutionize the sale of aluminim siding and long distance services.

Gary Carson

CSI Minneapolis

Aug 7, 2003, 11:43:22 AM8/7/03
I thoroughly agree. Russ "Dutch Boyd" is nothing more than an educated scam
artist.
Believe me when our paths cross, which they eventually will he will know it.
He continues to flaunt the fact he bilked 100's of peoples money and will
continue to do so.
I can hardly wait for this new online poker room he is starting. Any idiot
that plays there will need their head examined. Just watch your back Boyd
you are a loser waiting for your last loss to occur.

PA

"minus200" <minu...@comcast.net> wrote in message

minus200

Aug 7, 2003, 4:06:29 PM8/7/03
yes - even i will give them that

Barbara Yoon

Aug 8, 2003, 11:56:54 AM8/8/03
"Mister Poker" (Russ 'Dutch' Boyd):

> The reason that deal didn't go through was because Golden Palace
> offered us 3x times what Burton offered us. I signed the deal and
> moved to Montreal to work with them. Four months later they
> pulled out of the contract. When they did, I contacted Burton and
> asked if he was still interested in doing something. He said he wasn't.

Russ...wow...must've been a pretty lousy "deal/contract" that you signed there
-- did you have a lawyer review it first?! And as you gain more life experience,
you'll come to see that hot-shot whiz-kids are 'a dime a dozen' in this world,
and that while some can perpetuate their own self-delusions for a while by
surrounding themselves with a 'crew' of sycophants, only very few can really
make a lifetime 'career' of it -- coming to mind in that regard would be the likes
of P. T. Barnum, Don King, Bill Clinton, Mike Caro...