Sharpening knife?

KenK

Jan 25, 2020, 12:26:10 PM1/25/20
Is it possible to sharpen a serrated knife? I have a couple of small ones
that are very dull. I tried a very old knife sharpener that works on
regular knives (the kind you slide the knife back and forth in) but it
didn't help.

Suggestions?

TIA

Terry Coombs

Jan 25, 2020, 12:36:42 PM1/25/20
On 1/25/2020 11:26 AM, KenK wrote:
> Is it possible to sharpen a serrated knife? I have a couple of small ones
> that are very dull. I tried a very old knife sharpener that works on
> regular knives (the kind you slide the knife back and forth in) but it
> didn't help.
>
> Suggestions?
>
> TIA

  A small diameter "slip stone" , and you have to sharpen each
individual scallop in the blade individually . Or just grind the little
bastards off and make it a regular straight edged knife .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Gary

Jan 25, 2020, 2:19:54 PM1/25/20
KenK wrote:

> Is it possible to sharpen a serrated knife? I have a couple of small ones
> that are very dull.

Now that's a good question. I'd just toss it out and buy another.
If small ones you like, you can but a 4-pak at the Dollar Store.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Jan 25, 2020, 2:52:27 PM1/25/20
On Saturday, January 25, 2020 at 11:26:10 AM UTC-6, KenK wrote:

> Is it possible to sharpen a serrated knife? I have a couple of small ones
> that are very dull. I tried a very old knife sharpener that works on
> regular knives (the kind you slide the knife back and forth in) but it
> didn't help.
>
> Suggestions?
>
> TIA

I've seen knife sharpeners advertised on America's Test Kitchens/Cook's
Country for serrated knives.

Dave Smith

Jan 25, 2020, 3:00:19 PM1/25/20
My serrated knife is a Henkels bread knife. They cost at least $100. I
would find it hard to toss that and buy a new one when there are ways to
sharpen it.

Gary

Jan 25, 2020, 3:05:48 PM1/25/20
In that case, I agree. Maybe best to take that to a professional
knife sharpener.

Ophelia

Jan 25, 2020, 3:49:41 PM1/25/20
"Terry Coombs" wrote in message news:r0hub6$6vj$3...@dont-email.me...

On 1/25/2020 11:26 AM, KenK wrote:
> Is it possible to sharpen a serrated knife? I have a couple of small ones
> that are very dull. I tried a very old knife sharpener that works on
> regular knives (the kind you slide the knife back and forth in) but it
> didn't help.
>
> Suggestions?
>
> TIA

A small diameter "slip stone" , and you have to sharpen each
individual scallop in the blade individually . Or just grind the little
bastards off and make it a regular straight edged knife .

Snag

==

LOL you just had my husband laughing at that one:))

Julie Bove

Jan 25, 2020, 4:04:18 PM1/25/20

"Terry Coombs" <snag...@msn.com> wrote in message
> On 1/25/2020 11:26 AM, KenK wrote:
>> Is it possible to sharpen a serrated knife? I have a couple of small ones
>> that are very dull. I tried a very old knife sharpener that works on
>> regular knives (the kind you slide the knife back and forth in) but it
>> didn't help.
>>
>> Suggestions?
>>
>> TIA
>>

> A small diameter "slip stone" , and you have to sharpen each individual
> scallop in the blade individually . Or just grind the little bastards off
> and make it a regular straight edged knife .

That needed a beverage alert.

Dave S

Jan 25, 2020, 4:52:56 PM1/25/20
On 1/25/2020 12:26 PM, KenK wrote:
> Is it possible to sharpen a serrated knife? I have a couple of small ones
> that are very dull. I tried a very old knife sharpener that works on
> regular knives (the kind you slide the knife back and forth in) but it
> didn't help.
>
> Suggestions?
>
> TIA

http://eze-lap.com/model-57/
or
http://eze-lap.com/lawn_garden/pocket-diamond-sharpeners/
--
Dave S

Terry Coombs

Jan 25, 2020, 4:56:25 PM1/25/20
  Glad I could add some levity to his day .

Terry Coombs

Jan 25, 2020, 4:57:19 PM1/25/20
  Where's the fun if you know it's coming ?

Ophelia

Jan 25, 2020, 5:02:12 PM1/25/20
"Terry Coombs" wrote in message news:r0idi6$req$3...@dont-email.me...
===

And mine:))

Christ...@deathtochristianity.pl

Jan 26, 2020, 6:40:47 AM1/26/20
On 25 Jan 2020 17:26:06 GMT, KenK <inv...@invalid.com> wrote:

>Is it possible to sharpen a serrated knife? I have a couple of small ones
>that are very dull. I tried a very old knife sharpener that works on
>regular knives (the kind you slide the knife back and forth in) but it
>didn't help.
>
>Suggestions?
>
>TIA

Thing is ken serrated knives are serrated for a specific reason. They
are serrated so they do not become dull. There are a couple of things
that you should check before you attempt to sharpen them.

First are you serrated "teeth" out of alignment? Is the knife really
really old? Lastly, do you have a honing steel?

If the first two are true it would be best to just throw them out and
buy new ones. Serrated knives are fairly cheap.
If you have a honing steel then you may be able to use it between each
of the teeth to hone the particular areas.

If the knives hold no meaning to you or anything just throw them out
and buy new ones
"https://www.amazon.com/Steak-Knives-Set-Dishwasher-Stainless/dp/B07KQYXFFF/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=serrated+knives&qid=1580038557&sr=8-4"

If they have meaning then pack them in a box store them in your attic
and buy new ones.

They are so inexpensive it would be cheaper to buy new ones that it
would be to have them sharpened or buy the tools you would need to
sharpen then yourself.

This is why they are serrated, so they will last a long time. They are
basically disposable knives.

--

____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____

Christ...@deathtochristianity.pl

Jan 26, 2020, 6:42:22 AM1/26/20
That is one thing I would not do because they will use a much cheaper
steel and chances are it would be more likely to rust. Not to mention
they will not really have much of an edge from the factory.

Christ...@deathtochristianity.pl

Jan 26, 2020, 6:46:43 AM1/26/20
Well a bread knife is much different. The serrations are much wider
and it would be a good deal easier to sharpen. You can use a honing
steel for several years on one of those. For older knives you can buy
round sharpening stones that will sharpen that kind of knife.

"https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Engineered-Abrasives-Polishing-Sharpener/dp/B071G74VM3/ref=sr_1_43?keywords=round+sharpening+stones&qid=1580039087&sr=8-43"

this would be good for that. I would recommend an oil stone for a
serrated knife.

Christ...@deathtochristianity.pl

Jan 26, 2020, 6:48:50 AM1/26/20
I, personally, would not trust the stuff that they have on that show.
They skew their results so that the product that pays them the most
money is always the "best" pick

Cindy Hamilton

Jan 26, 2020, 7:25:14 AM1/26/20
What is your evidence for this?

Cindy Hamilton

John Kuthe

Jan 26, 2020, 9:03:10 AM1/26/20
The evidence is 'hiding' in plain sight.

John Kuthe, Climate Anarchist and More Aware Than The Average Homo Sapiens

jmcquown

Jan 26, 2020, 10:37:29 AM1/26/20
He has no evidence. I've watched a couple of episodes of 'America's
Test Kitchen' in the last week. They were testing both food items and
various kitchen products. There's a live audience right there. When
they test food items (think peanut butter, different types of cheeses,
etc.) the audience members try it and vote. When it comes to products,
whether it's toasters or kitchen tongs, it's NOT the most expensive item
that often comes out a winner.

Jill

penm...@aol.com

Jan 26, 2020, 10:56:46 AM1/26/20
On Sun, 26 Jan 2020 Christ wrote:
>On Sat, 25 Jan 2020 Dave Smith wrote:

Serrated knife blades are dull when brand new, at best they are good
for scaling fish.

>>> Now that's a good question. I'd just toss it out and buy another.
>>> If small ones you like, you can buy a 4-pak at the Dollar Store.
>>
>>My serrated knife is a Henkels bread knife. They cost at least $100. I
>>would find it hard to toss that and buy a new one when there are ways to
>>sharpen it.

Henkels has never produced a serrated knife blade.

A serrated knife is what most steak houses give patrons, a cheapo
knife that rips meat similar to a carpenter's saw, the kind of knife
that gas stations used to give for free with a fill up.

A proper bread knife blade is NOT serrated, it's a scalloped blade,
configured the same as a bakery's bread slicing machine blade... each
scallop can be sharpened individually... easy to do at home with a
properly configured half round jeweler's file.
At the factory they are wet ground, dry grinding any cutting blade
produces too much heat and will remove the temper. When not abused no
quality knife should ever need sharpening... sharpening means removing
metal to reconfigure the blade's geometry, honing does the same but
more gently... when steeling a knife the proper terminology is
"burnishing", compresses the metal to realign the edge without
removing any metal.
My bread knife is a 9" Commercial Sabatier made in France, when not
abused should never need sharpening. I've used it for slicing bread
only for nearly 50 years, still like brand new:
https://www.oceanstatejoblot.com/sabatier-9-professional-grade-carbon-steel-bread-knife/product/102904

notbob

Jan 26, 2020, 11:36:40 AM1/26/20
fOn 2020-01-26, Christ...@deathtochristianity.pl <Christ...@deathtochristianity.pl> wrote:

> --
>
> ____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____

This from a person that doesn't know how to do a "sig-file", even
after I've told him. ;)

nb

jmcquown

Jan 26, 2020, 12:10:40 PM1/26/20
On 1/25/2020 12:26 PM, KenK wrote:
> Is it possible to sharpen a serrated knife? I have a couple of small ones
> that are very dull. I tried a very old knife sharpener that works on
> regular knives (the kind you slide the knife back and forth in) but it
> didn't help.
>
> Suggestions?
>
> TIA

If you can't find a professional knife sharpener in your area I have
only one suggestion and it's probably a bad one. Get a whetstone and
some food grade mineral oil. Sharpen it yourself. Only one one side of
the serrated blade. Facing away from you on the sharp side.

Jill

jmcquown

Jan 26, 2020, 12:11:28 PM1/26/20
Why would you want to see it anyway?

Jill

dsi1

Jan 26, 2020, 12:17:52 PM1/26/20
You could use a knife sharpening service. I'd just use a fine file of the right diameter. Sounds like it could be a interesting project. I love the serrated knife that I inherited from my late father-in-law. It's some cheap knife that he probably saw on TV but it works great for cutting bread. It even has prongs on the tip. That's pretty goofy!

https://knifeaid.com/

Dave Smith

Jan 26, 2020, 12:33:23 PM1/26/20
I did mine with a Dremel and a small abrasive head. No real need for
food grade mineral oil because you can wash off the oil with detergent.
If you are really worried about food grade you can just use cooking oil.

Dave Smith

Jan 26, 2020, 12:34:53 PM1/26/20

On 2020-01-26 12:17 p.m., dsi1 wrote:

> You could use a knife sharpening service. I'd just use a fine file of
> the right diameter. Sounds like it could be a interesting project.

A chain saw file would work great.

dsi1

Jan 26, 2020, 12:56:10 PM1/26/20
I never knew they made those but you're probably right.

https://www.amazon.com/Oregon-70504-80513-32-Inch-Chain/dp/B00004RB7P

penm...@aol.com

Jan 26, 2020, 1:49:07 PM1/26/20
On Sun, 26 Jan 2020 12:10:32 -0500, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net>
wrote:

>On 1/25/2020 12:26 PM, KenK wrote:
>> Is it possible to sharpen a serrated knife? I have a couple of small ones
>> that are very dull. I tried a very old knife sharpener that works on
>> regular knives (the kind you slide the knife back and forth in) but it
>> didn't help.
>>
>> Suggestions?
>>
>If you can't find a professional knife sharpener in your area I have
>only one suggestion and it's probably a bad one. Get a whetstone and
>some food grade mineral oil. Sharpen it yourself. Only one one side of
>the serrated blade. Facing away from you on the sharp side.
>
>Jill

The best thing to do with a serrated blade is to put it in the
trash... no professional cutler will agree to sharpen it.

jmcquown

Jan 26, 2020, 1:49:50 PM1/26/20
Cooking oil is food grade oil. It's not mineral oil, though.

Jill

Dave Smith

Jan 26, 2020, 2:38:35 PM1/26/20
It doesn't need to be mineral oil. The reason for the oil is to carry
away the debris. If you have never used oil on a whetstone you can use
water. If it is too much work to go and get water, just spit on it. Oil
becomes an issue when you are cutting a lot of metal and need to remove
more grindings and to keep the friction heat down.

U.S. Janet B.

Jan 26, 2020, 2:53:50 PM1/26/20
You could have furnished another person's kitchen by now with all the
stuff you have thrown in the trash.

Cindy Hamilton

Jan 26, 2020, 2:56:19 PM1/26/20
I can't seem to see it. Can you point it to me directly?

Cindy Hamilton

dsi1

Jan 26, 2020, 3:24:52 PM1/26/20
I have a bunch of kitchen stuff that I want to dump. It could probably furnish 2 or 3 kitchens. That's a shame but nobody wants it.

John Kuthe

Jan 26, 2020, 6:02:02 PM1/26/20
And to lubricate the grinding process, plus wash the grindings away too!

John Kuthe...

Christ...@deathtochristianity.pl

Jan 26, 2020, 6:09:19 PM1/26/20
On Sun, 26 Jan 2020 10:56:43 -0500, penm...@aol.com wrote:

>On Sun, 26 Jan 2020 Christ wrote:

>Serrated knife blades are dull when brand new, at best they are good
>for scaling fish.

yeah.. funny you mention that..

Remember the Rambo movies and the Rambo knife? The serrations on the
back of that knife is NOT a saw it is a fish descaler. Most people
have no idea.

>>>My serrated knife is a Henkels bread knife. They cost at least $100. I
>>>would find it hard to toss that and buy a new one when there are ways to
>>>sharpen it.
>
>Henkels has never produced a serrated knife blade.
he spelled it wrong
Henckels

>A serrated knife is what most steak houses give patrons, a cheapo
>knife that rips meat similar to a carpenter's saw, the kind of knife
>that gas stations used to give for free with a fill up.
>
>A proper bread knife blade is NOT serrated, it's a scalloped blade,
>configured the same as a bakery's bread slicing machine blade... each
>scallop can be sharpened individually... easy to do at home with a
>properly configured half round jeweler's file.
>At the factory they are wet ground, dry grinding any cutting blade
>produces too much heat and will remove the temper. When not abused no
>quality knife should ever need sharpening... sharpening means removing
>metal to reconfigure the blade's geometry, honing does the same but
>more gently... when steeling a knife the proper terminology is
>"burnishing", compresses the metal to realign the edge without
>removing any metal.
>My bread knife is a 9" Commercial Sabatier made in France, when not
>abused should never need sharpening. I've used it for slicing bread
>only for nearly 50 years, still like brand new:
>https://www.oceanstatejoblot.com/sabatier-9-professional-grade-carbon-steel-bread-knife/product/102904

Christ...@deathtochristianity.pl

Jan 26, 2020, 6:10:06 PM1/26/20
watch the show and listen to the crap they say.

Bruce

Jan 26, 2020, 6:10:48 PM1/26/20
On Sun, 26 Jan 2020 17:09:15 -0600,
Christ...@deathtochristianity.pl wrote:

>On Sun, 26 Jan 2020 10:56:43 -0500, penm...@aol.com wrote:

>>Serrated knife blades are dull when brand new, at best they are good
>>for scaling fish.
>
>yeah.. funny you mention that..
>
>Remember the Rambo movies and the Rambo knife? The serrations on the
>back of that knife is NOT a saw it is a fish descaler. Most people
>have no idea.

Some people have never even seen a Rambo movie, but that's the elite.

Christ...@deathtochristianity.pl

Jan 26, 2020, 6:16:37 PM1/26/20
On Sun, 26 Jan 2020 10:37:24 -0500, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net>
wrote:
Dude, no one said the most expensive is picked. What I said what
whomever pays them the most is what is picked. Notice that they have 2
judging categories, "their picks" and the audience picks and you have
to remember the audience picks will be heavily influenced on how the
items are presented to them.
I have seen the blind taste test and some how she knew the brand that
was covered, then she even tried to cover it and say "how would I know
what the brand is"

When the other guy was doing the taste testing he did a much much
better job of making sure he did not say the incorrect thing.

It is TV people you can not believe a damn thing they say.
Just to let you know the live audience is most likely a group of about
6 people most likely relatives and friends of the employees there.

>Jill

Bruce

Jan 26, 2020, 6:17:01 PM1/26/20
On Sun, 26 Jan 2020 12:11:24 -0500, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net>
wrote:
Whoosh.

Christ...@deathtochristianity.pl

Jan 26, 2020, 6:18:28 PM1/26/20
there is nothing wrong with my sig, sorry

Bruce

Jan 26, 2020, 6:26:00 PM1/26/20

Then it will be automatically left out when people reply (other than
with Google Groups). Now it's included.

notbob

Jan 26, 2020, 6:56:44 PM1/26/20
On 2020-01-26, Christ...@deathtochristianity.pl <Christ...@deathtochristianity.pl> wrote:

>>> I, personally, would not trust the stuff that they have on that show.

>>What is your evidence for this?
>>
>>Cindy Hamilton

The endorsement fer a paring knife they recommended. Likewise, a
steel skillet. They "recommended" both and they were both junk. ;)

nb

notbob

Jan 26, 2020, 7:01:47 PM1/26/20
> there is nothing wrong with my sig, sorry
>
> --
>
> ____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____

Except that it remains after I respond and it's not supposed to. ;)

DUH!

nb

Christ...@deathtochristianity.pl

Jan 26, 2020, 7:02:14 PM1/26/20
On Mon, 27 Jan 2020 10:25:56 +1100, Bruce <br...@invalid.invalid>
wrote:
I had read a post about sigs about 10 years ago and the space was said
to be before I have been doing it that way ever since and since no one
in any group ever said it was incorrect I had no idea..

SIG TEST

Christ...@deathtochristianity.pl

Jan 26, 2020, 7:05:50 PM1/26/20
I appreciate the confirmation.

Bruce

Jan 26, 2020, 7:13:33 PM1/26/20
Now it works.

notbob

Jan 26, 2020, 7:18:45 PM1/26/20
On 2020-01-27, Christ...@deathtochristianity.pl <Christ...@deathtochristianity.pl> wrote:

> I appreciate the confirmation.

But, you still won't correct yer "sig-file" and I have told you about
it, before. DOLT!!

Whomever told you about it 10 yrs ago was wrong!

Yer "log-on" is too long, also. ;)

nb

penm...@aol.com

Jan 26, 2020, 7:52:08 PM1/26/20
>On 1/25/2020 11:26 AM, KenK wrote:
>> Is it possible to sharpen a serrated knife? I have a couple of small ones
>> that are very dull. I tried a very old knife sharpener that works on
>> regular knives (the kind you slide the knife back and forth in) but it
>> didn't help.

WTF would any normal brained person want a serrated knife... toss it
in the trash and buy a real knife. Serrated knives were given away
free at Los Angelos gas stations in 1960 with a fill up... I once had
a glove compartment full. I never used or kept any.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Jan 26, 2020, 8:01:28 PM1/26/20
On Sunday, January 26, 2020 at 6:25:14 AM UTC-6, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> On Sunday, January 26, 2020 at 6:48:50 AM UTC-5, Christ...@deathtochristianity.pl wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 25 Jan 2020 11:52:24 -0800 (PST), "itsjoan...@webtv.net"
> > <itsjoan...@webtv.net> wrote:
> >
> > >I've seen knife sharpeners advertised on America's Test Kitchens/Cook's
> > >Country for serrated knives.
> >

> > I, personally, would not trust the stuff that they have on that show.
> > They skew their results so that the product that pays them the most
> > money is always the "best" pick
>
> What is your evidence for this?
>
> Cindy Hamilton

He doesn't have any evidence; just likes to blow hot air and try to convince
people he is intelligent. He's not.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Jan 26, 2020, 8:02:40 PM1/26/20
On Sunday, January 26, 2020 at 8:03:10 AM UTC-6, John Kuthe wrote:

> On Sunday, January 26, 2020 at 6:25:14 AM UTC-6, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>
> > On Sunday, January 26, 2020 at 6:48:50 AM UTC-5, Christ...@deathtochristianity.pl wrote:
> > > I, personally, would not trust the stuff that they have on that show.
> > > They skew their results so that the product that pays them the most
> > > money is always the "best" pick
> >
> > What is your evidence for this?
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton
>
> The evidence is 'hiding' in plain sight.
>
> John Kuthe, Climate Anarchist and More Aware Than The Average Homo Sapiens

Your lame attempt at contributing to the conversation just shows you are as
stupid as he.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Jan 26, 2020, 8:08:46 PM1/26/20
On Sunday, January 26, 2020 at 6:52:08 PM UTC-6, Sheldon wrote:

> WTF would any normal brained person want a serrated knife... toss it
> in the trash and buy a real knife. Serrated knives were given away
> free at Los Angelos gas stations in 1960 with a fill up... I once had
> a glove compartment full. I never used or kept any.

Serrated knives are great for bread as well as slicing tomatoes to name
two.

notbob

Jan 26, 2020, 8:09:04 PM1/26/20
On 2020-01-26, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net> wrote:

> only one suggestion and it's probably a bad one.

Too true!

> Get a whetstone and some food grade mineral oil.

Food grade "mineral oil" is still petroleum-based.

> Sharpen it yourself.

Agree.

My Lamsonsharp 6" chef's knife (Julia had one!) stayed sharp
fer 6 yrs, after sharpening it with a Japanese "water-stone" and
constant "steeling"!

Scalloped bread knife (I don't wanna get into it, with Shelly) was
sharpened by a "pro" and he jes whacked it with a "buffer" cloth, ina
electrical drill motor.

I jes bought another. Never use it, 'cept fer tomatoes (which I
despise). ;)

nb

John Kuthe

Jan 26, 2020, 8:25:44 PM1/26/20
On Sunday, January 26, 2020 at 6:52:08 PM UTC-6, Sheldon wrote:
I keep a cheap serrated bread knife for sawing into a bread loaf! Works VERY well!

John Kuthe, Climate Anarchist and Bread Knife User

Christ...@deathtochristianity.pl

Jan 27, 2020, 4:41:35 AM1/27/20
On Sun, 26 Jan 2020 17:01:25 -0800 (PST), "itsjoan...@webtv.net"
<itsjoan...@webtv.net> wrote:

>On Sunday, January 26, 2020 at 6:25:14 AM UTC-6, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>>
>> On Sunday, January 26, 2020 at 6:48:50 AM UTC-5, Christ...@deathtochristianity.pl wrote:

>> > I, personally, would not trust the stuff that they have on that show.
>> > They skew their results so that the product that pays them the most
>> > money is always the "best" pick
>>
>> What is your evidence for this?
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton
>>
>He doesn't have any evidence; just likes to blow hot air and try to convince
>people he is intelligent. He's not.

Seriously you do realize that you were replying to me after I made a
response to you so in effect you were talking to yourself. Now you
just have to ask yourself how fucked up is that? I mean you are
already talking to yourself so asking yourself another question I
guess will not really hurt.

Cindy Hamilton

Jan 27, 2020, 6:11:22 AM1/27/20
That's not evidence that they're taking money for promotions.
Prove it by showing me the money. Where is the money?

Otherwise, you're just saying "I don't agree with them."

Cindy Hamilton

Cindy Hamilton

Jan 27, 2020, 6:14:59 AM1/27/20
"Junk" in what way? Without specifics, all I can conclude is that
you're saying "I, notbob, didn't like what they picked."

Everybody's entitled to his own opinion, you and ATK alike.

Cindy Hamilton

Gary

Jan 27, 2020, 8:29:48 AM1/27/20
Christ...@deathtochristianity.pl wrote:

> On Sat, 25 Jan 2020 14:21:28 -0500, Gary <g.ma...@att.net> wrote:
>
> >KenK wrote:
> >>
> >> Is it possible to sharpen a serrated knife? I have a couple of small ones
> >> that are very dull.
> >
> >Now that's a good question. I'd just toss it out and buy another.
> >If small ones you like, you can but a 4-pak at the Dollar Store.
>
> That is one thing I would not do because they will use a much cheaper
> steel and chances are it would be more likely to rust. Not to mention
> they will not really have much of an edge from the factory.

My most used knife for small things is a $1 stainless steel
serrated paring knife. Still going after 20 years. No rust...it's
stainless steel. Mostly used for a quick chop of a tomato or an
onion.

I use a chef's knife and a cutting board for large cutting times.

Cindy Hamilton

Jan 27, 2020, 9:16:23 AM1/27/20
I use a chef's knife and cutting board for most cutting jobs. I almost
always am cutting up at least a moderate amount of stuff. We've got
small cutting boards for small jobs like slicing a tomato. I still use
the 10" chef's knife, since that's the one I'm most comfortable with.

Cindy Hamilton

Gary

Jan 27, 2020, 10:21:49 AM1/27/20
notbob wrote:
> I jes bought another. Never use it, 'cept fer tomatoes (which I
> despise). ;)

I just have to ask. Why do you buy tomatoes if you despise them?

Gary

Jan 27, 2020, 10:22:39 AM1/27/20
ChristAllMighty wrote:
> Remember the Rambo movies and the Rambo knife? The serrations on the
> back of that knife is NOT a saw it is a fish descaler. Most people
> have no idea.

LOL! Too funny! Guess again. :)

Dave Smith

Jan 27, 2020, 10:38:42 AM1/27/20
My first year English professor gave the best advice ever about
presenting an argument. Don't just say "That is bullshit". Say "That is
bullshit" and give three reasons why. When I first got into kayaking a
came across a comment in a magazine where someone made that kind of
comment about a brand of kayak, something to the effect of it being a
typically crappy Necky. Being knew to the sport I had no idea what he
was talking about. I would estimate that at least 20% of the members of
our club have Necky kayaks, so I asked them about their boats and that
comment. Thay had no idea what the guy was talking about because they
loved their boats.

notbob

Jan 27, 2020, 10:49:02 AM1/27/20
On 2020-01-27, Gary <g.ma...@att.net> wrote:

> I just have to ask. Why do you buy tomatoes if you despise them?

Some things you can't do without 'em. BLT's, minestrone, pico de
gallo, hamburgers, etc.

I don't really "despise" 'em, but its not like I like 'em, either. ;)

nb

notbob

Jan 27, 2020, 10:58:57 AM1/27/20
On 2020-01-27, penm...@aol.com <penm...@aol.com> wrote:

> WTF would any normal brained person want a serrated knife... toss it
> in the trash and buy a real knife.

Agree.

I bought an 8" serrated chef's knife, three mos ago. They were trying to get rid of 'em fer
$2.00usd.

Have yet to use it. I liked the guard. ;)

nb

U.S. Janet B.

Jan 27, 2020, 11:20:26 AM1/27/20

U.S. Janet B.

Jan 27, 2020, 11:23:51 AM1/27/20
A sharpened straight blade is best for soft things like tomatoes. it
will leave a totally smooth cut with no juicing. A serrated tears the
edge.
Janet US

U.S. Janet B.

Jan 27, 2020, 11:26:04 AM1/27/20
the paring knife they chose is not for me because the shape is not a
comfortable grip for me.
Janet US

Cindy Hamilton

Jan 27, 2020, 11:29:10 AM1/27/20
Bread slicing machines use scalloped or serrated blades. (I couldn't tell
which one based on the tiny images I found on the web.)

I have a bread knife that's either scalloped or serrated. I use it
once in a while for slicing soft bread or rolls.

Cindy Hamilton

Cindy Hamilton

Jan 27, 2020, 11:32:37 AM1/27/20
And that's a fair criticism. They always mention that their pick might
not be comfortable for everyone.

Cindy Hamilton

Ed Pawlowski

Jan 27, 2020, 12:28:02 PM1/27/20
Best knife I ever had for tomatoes was a ceramic blade, about 6" or so.

One of the problems cutting tomato is many people don't know how. They
put too much pressure down at the start instead of moving back and
forth, especially to make that first cut in the skin.

Bruce

Jan 27, 2020, 1:09:26 PM1/27/20
Interesting.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Jan 27, 2020, 6:57:22 PM1/27/20
Of course I replied to you, dipshit, after you made that stupid comment.
No, I was not talking to myself (you should try a reading comprehension
class) I was talking to you, one of our village idiots. You're the fucked
up one if you can't follow along with the timeline of comments.

No need to ask if you REALLY are this stupid, it's in print for all the
world to see as evidenced by the quoted text above. Are you trying to take
John Kuthe's and Julie Bovines place as number 1 dumbass here?? Just in
case you really are this retarded I'll break down for you.

1. I made a statement.
2. You came along making a statement, actually an opinion.
3. Cindy replied with a question of your statement/opinion to you.
4. I replied to Cindy that you have no evidence.

See, Mr. Mensa Reject? That's how posts, questions, and replies work.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Jan 27, 2020, 7:02:20 PM1/27/20
On Monday, January 27, 2020 at 10:23:51 AM UTC-6, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> A sharpened straight blade is best for soft things like tomatoes. it
> will leave a totally smooth cut with no juicing. A serrated tears the
> edge.
> Janet US

I've never experienced a serrated knife tearing the flesh of a tomato.

cshenk

Jan 27, 2020, 7:56:49 PM1/27/20
To me, 'chef's knife' is a nonsequitor as it's really any knife that is
good and fits the purpose correctly.

Oh I get it that there is a shape referred to as 'chef's knife' but it
seems silly.

https://graphs.net/types-of-kitchen-knives-list.html

cshenk

Jan 27, 2020, 7:59:21 PM1/27/20
Serrated knives are used for some applpications where a straight edge
is not optimal. Case in point, bread slicing. A non-serrated knife
will just make a mess of any softer breads.

cshenk

Jan 27, 2020, 8:10:48 PM1/27/20
Sqwertz wrote:

> On Sat, 25 Jan 2020 15:02:07 -0500, Dave Smith wrote:

> small ones >>> that are very dull.
> >>
> >> Now that's a good question. I'd just toss it out and buy another.
> >> If small ones you like, you can but a 4-pak at the Dollar Store.
> >>

> > My serrated knife is a Henkels bread knife. They cost at least
> > $100. I would find it hard to toss that and buy a new one when
> > there are ways to sharpen it.
>
> I use the classic Henckles w/wood handle bread knife for bread. I
> tired another brand and it just impossible to cut straight.
>
> The $40 ones work the exact same as the $160 ones.

https://www.zwilling.com/us/henckels-international-classic-7-inch-bread-knife-31163-181/31163-181-0.html

Except 7 inch doesn't work for me due to the types of breads I make. My
favotite is 12 inch, next most used is 10. I just got in an 8inch
cuisinart bread knife (came with a new bread machne will post
separately).

Cindy Hamilton

Jan 28, 2020, 5:50:44 AM1/28/20
Why does it seem silly? Should we call it Knife Style 235711 ? Would
that make any more sense?

It's the style of knife favored by most European chefs. Hence,
chef's knife.

Cindy Hamilton

Christ...@deathtochristianity.pl

Jan 28, 2020, 7:43:03 AM1/28/20
On Mon, 27 Jan 2020 08:31:31 -0500, Gary <g.ma...@att.net> wrote:

My best knife cost me nothing. I got it for free at a grocery store
after I bought a certain amount of groceries that I was going to buy
anyway.

Christ...@deathtochristianity.pl

Jan 28, 2020, 7:46:44 AM1/28/20
I would agree about the pressure. If a knife does not cut the tomato
with the only pressure being the weight of the knife then the knife is
too dull and will be unsafe for use.

Janet

Jan 28, 2020, 8:06:19 AM1/28/20
In article <femdstaav8ve$.d...@sqwertz.com>, sqwe...@gmail.invalid
says...

> On Sat, 25 Jan 2020 15:02:07 -0500, Dave Smith wrote:

> >> Now that's a good question. I'd just toss it out and buy another.
> >> If small ones you like, you can but a 4-pak at the Dollar Store.
> >>

> > My serrated knife is a Henkels bread knife. They cost at least $100. I
> > would find it hard to toss that and buy a new one when there are ways to
> > sharpen it.
>
> I use the classic Henckles w/wood handle bread knife for bread. I
> tired another brand and it just impossible to cut straight.
>
> The $40 ones work the exact same as the $160 ones.
>
> https://www.zwilling.com/us/henckels-international-classic-7-inch-bread-knife-31163-181/31163-181-0.html

When we married we bought a cheap bread knife with a red plastic
handle, cost £1. The surprising thing was that it came with a 25 year
guarantee printed on its cardboard label. My husband is a Virgo who
saves all guarantees and receipts.

24 years later he wrote to the manufacturer of the breadknife,
enclosing the receipt and guarantee, to complain that after a quarter
century of daily use their breadknife was losing its edge. They sent us
a new breadknife.

We still have the original, over 50 years old, now relegated to
garden use where it's just the thing for killing dandelion roots in the
lawn.

Janet UK

John Kuthe

Jan 28, 2020, 8:10:04 AM1/28/20
On Tuesday, January 28, 2020 at 6:46:44 AM UTC-6, Christ...@deathtochristianity.pl wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Jan 2020 12:28:00 -0500, Ed Pawlowski <e...@snet.xxx> wrote:
>
> >On 1/27/2020 11:23 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> >> A sharpened straight blade is best for soft things like tomatoes. it
> >> will leave a totally smooth cut with no juicing. A serrated tears the
> >> edge.
> >> Janet US
> >>
> >Best knife I ever had for tomatoes was a ceramic blade, about 6" or so.
> >
> >One of the problems cutting tomato is many people don't know how. They
> >put too much pressure down at the start instead of moving back and
> >forth, especially to make that first cut in the skin.
>

> I would agree about the pressure. If a knife does not cut the tomato
> with the only pressure being the weight of the knife then the knife is
> too dull and will be unsafe for use.
>
> --
>
> ____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____

That all depends on the tomato! And yes a razor sharp knife is best for tomato slicing.

John Kuthe...

Gary

Jan 28, 2020, 9:08:01 AM1/28/20
Not me either but my cheap paring knife is micro serrated not big
scallops like the long bread knife.

Gary

Jan 28, 2020, 9:09:38 AM1/28/20
Funny story but true. Back in 1972, I worked part time at a
furniture store while attending college. One of the salesmen
brought in a very old wind-up alarm clock that he had bought
from Sears many year before. He didn't have an old receipt
but he wrapped it up and sent it back to them. They did
replace it with a new one at no charge. Go figure. :/

Dave Smith

Jan 28, 2020, 10:01:56 AM1/28/20
On 2020-01-28 9:11 a.m., Gary wrote:

>> When we married we bought a cheap bread knife with a red plastic
>> handle, cost £1. The surprising thing was that it came with a 25 year
>> guarantee printed on its cardboard label. My husband is a Virgo who
>> saves all guarantees and receipts.
>>
>> 24 years later he wrote to the manufacturer of the breadknife,
>> enclosing the receipt and guarantee, to complain that after a quarter
>> century of daily use their breadknife was losing its edge. They sent us
>> a new breadknife.
>
> Funny story but true. Back in 1972, I worked part time at a
> furniture store while attending college. One of the salesmen
> brought in a very old wind-up alarm clock that he had bought
> from Sears many year before. He didn't have an old receipt
> but he wrapped it up and sent it back to them. They did
> replace it with a new one at no charge. Go figure. :/

It's a good idea to hold on to receipts, especially when there are
lengthy guarantees. I took a broken Henkles knife back to the store
about 10 years after I had bought it. It had somehow got knocked off
the counter and landed on the end of the butt of the handle. The blade
instantly snapped in half. They gave me a replacement.

I had a desk chair from Ikea that had a life time guarantee and after
more than ten years it would not longer maintain it's height adjustment.
I found the bill. It was almost impossible to read to read but it
showed the item and the date of purchase. I made the trek to Ikea. They
tried to tell me that item no longer has a life time guarantee. That's
nice, but the did when they sold it to me. Someone did a little research
and verified that at the time that I bought the chair it did indeed have
a life time guarantee so they gave me credit. They did not have the same
model but I got another that it still functional.

Ed Pawlowski

Jan 28, 2020, 10:06:07 AM1/28/20
You remembered it years later and he (and you) have probably told the
story many times. You can't buy good will advertising like that.

Gary

Jan 28, 2020, 10:20:23 AM1/28/20
Christ...@deathtochristianity.pl wrote:
> ... the knife is
> too dull and will be unsafe for use.

So very untrue.
It all depends on what you're used to using.
My knife set is often dull. I'm used to that and no problems.
The *only* times I cut my fingers has been using a
newly sharpened knife and I wasn't used to that.

Gary

Jan 28, 2020, 10:21:44 AM1/28/20
And in the house painting world.
Ben Moore sells a 40 year guaranteed caulking.
It's good but the guarantee is a joke.

Read the fine print and it states that within those 40
years, just return the empty tube with original receipt
and they will replace the tube.

Who keeps an old empty caulking tube and receipt for
up to 40 years?

They will replace the tube only. No compensation for the
expensive part of time or labor to use it. Even if someone
does save that, there will be few that do.

The 40 year claim sells many though as people will pay
extra for it assuming that it will last that long. No
caulking lasts anywhere near that long. It IS a good
product though...just not for that long.

graham

Jan 28, 2020, 10:22:58 AM1/28/20
On 2020-01-28 6:06 a.m., Janet wrote:

> When we married we bought a cheap bread knife with a red plastic
> handle, cost £1. The surprising thing was that it came with a 25 year
> guarantee printed on its cardboard label. My husband is a Virgo

I'm surprised that you believe in such squit, twaddle and bunkum.

Cindy Hamilton

Jan 28, 2020, 10:31:00 AM1/28/20
Are you kidding? I'm a typical Pisces:

"They are generous, amiable, positive natured people with a deep sense of kindness and compassion. Pisces are highly tuned in to everything around them including the feelings of others. Pisces are socially popular because of their easygoing and likable manner."

<https://thepiscessign.com/all-about-pisces/>

Yep, that's me all right.

Cindy Hamilton

Bruce

Jan 28, 2020, 10:41:02 AM1/28/20
On Tue, 28 Jan 2020 13:06:12 -0000, Janet <Ja...@somewhere.com> wrote:

>In article <femdstaav8ve$.d...@sqwertz.com>, sqwe...@gmail.invalid
>says...

>> > My serrated knife is a Henkels bread knife. They cost at least $100. I
>> > would find it hard to toss that and buy a new one when there are ways to
>> > sharpen it.
>>
>> I use the classic Henckles w/wood handle bread knife for bread. I
>> tired another brand and it just impossible to cut straight.
>>
>> The $40 ones work the exact same as the $160 ones.
>>
>> https://www.zwilling.com/us/henckels-international-classic-7-inch-bread-knife-31163-181/31163-181-0.html
>
> When we married

The poor fellow!

Bruce

Jan 28, 2020, 10:43:15 AM1/28/20
Well, you do have a certain temperature in common :)

Dave Smith

Jan 28, 2020, 10:44:04 AM1/28/20
True enough. Good service like that will generate return business and
they can count on their customers telling people about their positive
experiences.

I had a good experience with Bass Pro Shop when I bought a spare
magazine for my Ruger .22. I had bought one for a .22 magnum by mistake
and did not realize it until months later, by which time I had trashed
the receipt. Thanks to my loyalty card they tracked my purchase and
refunded the cost.

A girl at the dog park had a training collar she had bought that and it
was not working. She didn't bother taking it back because she had lost
the bill. I told her about my experience and assured her that she would
get her money back. Armed with my assurance she went back to Bass Pro
Shop and said someone had told her that they would give her a refund.
She didn't say that person was me and probably assumed that she meant
someone who worked in the store. She got her money back. That's not
one policy that I would be so sure about in the future, but it worked
for her.

penm...@aol.com

Jan 28, 2020, 3:14:17 PM1/28/20
Hardly anyone lives at the same place that long.... use that caulking
to seal your tombstone! LOL
And who gives a rodents butt if calking only lasts
eight years, it's a lot less hassle to buy a new tube for $2.99. I've
made the mistake of buying a two-fer 17 years ago and still have the
second tube unopened... may not be any good any more, and most
certainly there is better caulking out there by now.... there's no
point in stocking up on old technology, has anyone bought a second PC
with the last one five years ago?

Janet

Jan 28, 2020, 6:17:07 PM1/28/20
In article <r0pjkd$jh1$1...@dont-email.me>, g.st...@shaw.ca says...
Scorpio's can't help it.

Janet UK

penm...@aol.com

Jan 28, 2020, 6:49:43 PM1/28/20
That's because you spell Gary incorrectly, with the same number of key
strokes you should spell it Putz. I've been doing kitchen work for
more than 70 years and have not ever cut myself. Dull cutlery is
extremely dangerous in a kitchen but so is a pin headed Putz... what
kind of a moron is proud of having dull cutlery, only a PUTZ!
I keep the knives and scissors my wife uses better than
barber shop sharp, she's never cut herself. Of course I keep her
pubes shaved smoother than a baby's tush. She's learned a tool & die
maker's talents which very few women know.

cshenk

Jan 28, 2020, 7:20:23 PM1/28/20
It just does to me. The name sounds like either: you aren't 'chef' if
you don't use one, or it's something special chef's use.

Either way I have 11 of what's on the post above, some in duplicates
but different sizes and both a santoku and another one that is
inbetween the Chinese Chopper and a Santoku. Deep as the Chinese
chopper but front edge more upward. Multi-uses and used to chop bone in
poultry to smaller pieces.

cshenk

Jan 28, 2020, 7:22:24 PM1/28/20
Works. I am apt to use my steak knives for that anyways.

cshenk

Jan 28, 2020, 7:29:21 PM1/28/20
LOL!

cshenk

Jan 28, 2020, 7:34:14 PM1/28/20
LOL! Is there one for Tarus?

cshenk

Jan 28, 2020, 7:38:26 PM1/28/20
I dated a Scorpio once. He was secretive and quick to take offense and
lash out. Needless to say, it didn't last long.

Hank Rogers

Jan 28, 2020, 7:48:32 PM1/28/20
Popeye, do yoose shave her ass and tits too?

It is loading more messages.