Rubarb Recipes

Diane Dodds

May 11, 1993, 8:59:43 AM5/11/93

Hi all,

I have moved to a new house and in the backyard is a mother of
a rubarb plant. It is begging to be cooked but I need some
really good recipes. Anyone have anything they could post?

All recipes gratefully received.

Judy Tolliver

May 11, 1993, 10:26:52 AM5/11/93

> I have moved to a new house and in the backyard is a mother of
> a rubarb plant. It is begging to be cooked but I need some
> really good recipes. Anyone have anything they could post?

I was about to post this very thing. We are overrun with rhubarb! Send
recipes to

revi...@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu

Thanks.

LEEANN WENTZELL

May 11, 1993, 1:16:33 PM5/11/93
In article <C6v5F...@freenet.carleton.ca> ac...@Freenet.carleton.ca (Diane Dodds) writes:
>From: ac...@Freenet.carleton.ca (Diane Dodds)
>Subject: Rubarb Recipes
>Date: Tue, 11 May 1993 12:59:43 GMT

>Hi all,

>All recipes gratefully received.

>--

The latest "Canadian Living" (seeing how you're posting through Carleton)
has a fantastic section on rhubarb. Try the Bumbleberry Crisp - really great!

For all you non-Canadians, I'll try to remember to bring in the book and
post.

Lee Ann Wentzell "Her ego wrote out cheques incredibly fast
Biology Department But her personality didn't have the cash..."
Acadia University The Northern Pikes
Wolfville, NS, CAN

Alexandra Schmidt

May 11, 1993, 2:22:16 PM5/11/93
In article <C6v5F...@freenet.carleton.ca> ac...@Freenet.carleton.ca (Diane Dodds) writes:
>From: ac...@Freenet.carleton.ca (Diane Dodds)
>Subject: Rubarb Recipes
>Date: Tue, 11 May 1993 12:59:43 GMT

>Hi all,

>I have moved to a new house and in the backyard is a mother of
>a rubarb plant. It is begging to be cooked but I need some
>really good recipes. Anyone have anything they could post?

>All recipes gratefully received.

I hate letting the spelling of 'rhubarb' go uncorrected in the header,
but for the sake of those searching the thread. . .

I am looking for a rhubarb and strawberry preserves recipe. I've made
rhubarb and strawberry sauces before, and would like to be able to put
them up in a more lasting form. Not sure about sugar/acid needs though.

In return I shall post my rhubarb and raspberry pie recipe. Tastes
just like spring. . .

. . .Alexandra

Valerie Leppert

May 11, 1993, 2:09:36 PM5/11/93

>Hi all,

>All recipes gratefully received.

>--

First of all, don't eat the leaves, they're poisonous according to all
sources I have read.

It's good in strawberry-rhubarb pie, but I don't have a recipe for that. I
do have a recipe for a Persian rhubarb stew.

Persian Rhubarb Stew

1.5 pds stew meat
1 pd rhubarb, cut into 1" pieces
1 c. chopped parsley
2 T. dried mint
1-2 T. tomato paste
1 chopped onion
1/4-1/2 t. turmeric
pinch saffron dissolved in hot water
3 T. lemon juice
salt and pepper to taste

Brown meat and onions. Add 2-3 cups water and tomato paste,turmeric,salt
and pepper. Cook one hour. Saute parsley and mint. Add to stew with
saffron. Cook another hour. Add lemon juice and rhubarb. Cook until
rhubarb is tender but not falling apart. Serve over hot rice. The same
recipe can be made with celery. Cooking times are approximate. Meat should
be almost falling apart. There should be about 1 to 1-1/2 cups liquid in
stew at end of cooking time.

Valerie
vlep...@casbah.acns.nwu.edu

marcie

May 12, 1993, 9:53:00 AM5/12/93
In article <vleppert....@news.acns.nwu.edu>, vlep...@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (Valerie Leppert) writes...

>In <C6v5F...@freenet.carleton.ca> ac...@Freenet.carleton.ca (Diane Dodds) writes:
>

>>Hi all,
>
>>I have moved to a new house and in the backyard is a mother of
>>a rubarb plant. It is begging to be cooked but I need some
>>really good recipes. Anyone have anything they could post?
>
>>All recipes gratefully received.
Harrosmith Country Life Vol.VIII num.45 May/June 1993 has a rhubarb article
and recipes (which I have not tried). The recipes are for Rhubarb and fig Jam
and Rhubarb chutney. Rhubarb pie (the way I like it) is made just like apple
pie when the apples are really tart: slice thin (the stalks only) and put
in the uncooked shell with a little flour, sugar, and lemon juice. Some
spices would be ok, but not too much.... The put on a top, howeveer you like...
crumbles, lattice.
..marcie

Darin Wilkins

May 12, 1993, 4:57:35 PM5/12/93
In article <1soqso...@phecda.isi.com> al...@isi.com (Alexandra Schmidt) writes:
>In article <C6v5F...@freenet.carleton.ca> ac...@Freenet.carleton.ca (Diane Dodds) writes:

>>I have moved to a new house and in the backyard is a mother of
>>a rubarb plant. It is begging to be cooked but I need some
>>really good recipes. Anyone have anything they could post?

>I am looking for a rhubarb and strawberry preserves recipe. I've made

>rhubarb and strawberry sauces before, and would like to be able to put
>them up in a more lasting form. Not sure about sugar/acid needs though.

A couple of weeks ago, the Microwave Cookery Column (a regular feature
in the food section of the San Diego Union-Tribune) was devoted to
recipes using rhubarb. I hope you have a microwave. If not, I'm sure
these can be adapted to conventional cooking techniques, but you will
have to experiment on that yourself!

Also, it is not necessary to can the rhubarb in order to preserve it.
It can be frozen. Wash it, trim off the bottom and top of the stalks,
and cut it into 1-inch pieces. Put about 4 or 5 cups of it into a
plastic bag and freeze. (If you wish to use the frozen rhubarb in the
following jam recipe, freeze it in packages containing only 2 cups of
rhubarb, and you will probably want to cut it into smaller pieces
too.) To defrost, microwave it at 70% power for 3 to 5 minutes. Use
while it is still slightly frozen.

Freezing it removes the concerns about safety and proper canning
techniques. If you want some rhubarb/strawberry jam this winter,
defrost your frozen rhubarb, buy a pint of frozen strawberries (or use
some you have frozen yourself), toss them into the following recipe,
and 30 minutes later you have jam. And it is probably better than
canned jam that you make this spring.

Also, for the benefit of novice cooks out there, only the stalk of the
rhubarb plant can be eaten. The roots and leaves are highly poisonous.
To prepare fresh rhubarb: rinse well, remove the leaves and roots, and
trim off the tops and bottoms of the stalks. Then use as the recipe
directs. BTW, fresh rhubarb is bitter and tough. It is almost always
cooked. In fact, I don't recall ever seeing a recipe that uses raw
rhubarb.

These recipes are tested using 625- to 700-watt microwave ovens.
Timings will have to be increased about 10-20% in ovens of lower power.

Spring Blush Jam

In a 2-quart microwave-safe casserole, combine:
2 C sliced fresh rhubarb
1 pint unsweetened strawberries, fresh or frozen
1 8-1/4 ounce can crushed pineapple, with juice.
Microwave on HIGH for 7 to 10 minutes, stirring twice, until rhubarb
is tender.

Stir in:
one 1-3/4 ounce package fruit pectin.
Microwave on HIGH until mixture boils, about 2 to 4 minutes.
Stir every minute.

Add:
4 C sugar
1 Tbl lemon juice
1 tsp grated lemon zest.
Microwave on HIGH an additional 2 to 4 minutes, letting the jam
boil hard for about 1 minute.
Stir every 2 minutes.

Let cool 10 minutes.
Pour into sterilized jars.
Seal, let cool, and refrigerate.
------

Rhubarb/Strawberry Sauce

In a 2-quart microwave-safe casserole, combine:
1 pound fresh rhubarb, cut into 1-inch pieces
3/4 C sugar
1/4 C water.
Cover with plastic wrap (leave a small vent on 1 side so that steam can
escape).
Microwave on HIGH for 7 to 10 minutes, stirring once, until rhubarb
is tender.

Stir in:
1 pint fresh strawberries, washed, hulled, and halved.
Uncover and microwave on HIGH 2 minutes.
Cover and let stand 2 to 3 minutes.
Serve warm over ice cream, or ladle over shortcake and top with
whipped cream.
------

This recipe is a side-dish to be served warm with meats or poultry.

Steamed Apples and Rhubarb

In a 2-quart microwave-safe casserole, combine:
1 pound fresh rhubarb, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 pound Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and sliced 1/4-inch thick.

In a separate bowl, combine and mix well:
3/4 C sugar
1/2 tsp grated orange zest
1/2 tsp ground dried ginger
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg.
Sprinkle over rhubarb and apples. Toss well to coat them evenly.

Cover with plastic wrap (leave a small vent on 1 side so that steam can
escape).
Microwave on HIGH for 9 to 12 minutes, until rhubarb and apples are
tender.
Rotate the dish 1/4 turn every 4 minutes.
Let stand, covered, for 10 minutes.
Serve warm.

darin
wil...@scubed.com
________________________________
| |
| I will be President for food |
|______________________________|

Alexandra Schmidt

May 13, 1993, 11:02:42 AM5/13/93
Here's one from the "Complete Guide to Home Canning, Preserving and Freezing"
put out by the U.S. Dept of Agriculture, courtesy of Anupama Chathampally.

Rhubarb-Strawberry Jam

1 cup cooked red-stalked rhubarb ( about 1lb rhubarb and 1/4 cup water)
2 and 1/2 cups crushed strawberries ( about 1 and 1/2 quart boxes )
6 and 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 bottle liquid pectin

1. Wash rhubarb and slice thin or chop; do not peel. Add water, cover, and
simmer til tender. (about 1 minute)
2. Sort and wash fully ripe strawberries; remove stems and caps. Crush berries.
3. Measure prepared rhubarb and strawberries into a kettle. Add sugar and stir
well. Place on high heat and, stirring constantly, bring quickly to a full
boil with bubbles over the entire surface. Boil hard for 1 minute, stirring
constantly.
4. Remove from heat and stir in pectin. Skim.
5. Fill and seal containers. Process 5 minutes in boiling water bath.

Yield - 7 or 8 half-pint jars.

And a few I found on my own, hunting around. . .

Strawberry Rhubarb Conserve
(from _The Ball Blue Book_, edition 30, 1982)

4 cups 1/2-inch slices rhubarb
7 cups sugar
4 cups strawberries

Wash and cut (about 2.5 pounds) unpeeled rhubarb into 1/2-inch pieces.
Wash and hull 1 quart of berries. Measure 4 cups of each into a large
kettle. Add sugar. Slowly bring to a boil, stirring only occasional
When sugar dissolves, start stirring frequently to prevent sticking.
Cook rapidly until thick. Remove from heat. Skim off any foam.
Pour, boiling hot, into hot jars, leaving 1/4-inch head space. Seal.
Process 15 minutes in boiling water bath. Yield: about 10 half-pints.

Rhubarb-Raspberry Pie
(from the Williams-Sonoma Kitchen Library, _Pies and Tarts_)

basic pie pastry for a 9-inch double-crust pie
1 cup sugar
3 tbs. cornstarch
1/4 tsp. salt
1.25 lb. rhubarb stalks, peeled and sliced into 1/2-inch pieces
(about 4 cups)
2 cups raspberries
2 tbs. unsalted butter

Preheat an oven to 425F. Roll out the pastry for the bottom crush and
use to line a 9-inch pie pan. Roll out the pastry for the top crust
and set it aside. In a large bowl stir together the sugar,
cornstarch, and salt. Add the rhubarb and raspberries and toss to mix
well. Pile the fruit mixture into the pastry-lined pan and dot with
bits of the butter. Cover with the top crust and trim and flute the
edges. Cut a few vents in the top for the steam to escape.

Bake for 20 minutes, then reduce the heat to 350F and bake until the
juices are bubbling and the crust is browned, 30-40 minutes longer.

Enjoy!

. . .Alexandra

a.r.adolt

May 12, 1993, 1:08:58 PM5/12/93
In article <C6v5F...@freenet.carleton.ca> ac...@Freenet.carleton.ca (Diane Dodds) writes:

Okay-
I posted this a few years ago and
- it is still my favorite use of rhubarb.
- it is my all time favorite cake.
- it's my birthday cake, too.
-----------------------------
Rhubarb Upside-Down Cake
------------------------
Topping:
--------
1/4 cup margarine (I use no sodium / no cholesteral)
1 cup brown sugar
4-6 stalks rhubarb
Cut fresh rhubarb into approximately 1/2 inch long pieces.
(extra cut rhubarb can be frozen - just put it in a plastic bag)
------------------------
Cake Batter:
------------
1 cup all purpose flour
3/4 cup white sugar
1/4 cup oil
1/2 cup skim milk
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
2 egg whites (unbeaten)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
------------------------
Pre-heat oven to 350 F.
In an eight inch square cake pan:
melt 1/2 stick margarine - This can be done in the oven while
pre-heating it.
Brush the sides of the pan with the melted margarine so the cake will
not stick.
Coat the bottom of the pan with 1/4 inch layer of brown sugar
(about 1 cup).
Cover the layer of brown sugar with the 1/2 inch pieces of rhubarb.
Cover the entire bottom of the pan - (I prefer to place the pieces so
the cut sides are face up and down).
Mix cake batter:
- combine the flour and sugar
- add the oil and 1/4 cup of the milk
- stir until the flour is damp - then beat for one minute
- stir in the baking powder, the remaining milk, the unbeaten egg
whites, and the vanilla
- beat for two minutes
- pour over the rhubarb in the cake pan.
Bake at 350 F for 35-40 minutes (making sure a cake tester comes out
clean. The center section will be the last to cook.)
Remove from oven, cool slightly, run a knife around the sides to make
sure it will come out cleanly, and invert it onto a serving plate.
(If you have never removed an upside-down cake before it can be a
little unnerving. You are dealing with hot melted sugar. So, place
the serving plate upside-down on the cake - grasp the cake pan and
plate together - hold this at arms length while you quickly invert it.
------------------------
Any good white or yellow cake batter will work.
The one I have posted is from "The American Heart Association Cookbook"
- fourth edition. I like it because it is low sodium, low cholesteral,
but high in good taste.
------------------------
ps - if your diet can take it - rhubarb upside-down cake is great
topped with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.
------------------------
bob adolt

Helga

May 14, 1993, 10:13:50 AM5/14/93
This is on of the finest ways to use excess rhubarb:

--- Strawberry Rhubarb Mead ---
1 gallon water
3 lbs. honey
4 cups chopped rhubarb
1 qt. strawberrys
2 packets of ale/beer yeast

Meads are not frightening things to make. Actually, they
are deceptivly easy. The only thing to keep in mind is
that EVERYTHING needs sterilizing. Wash out/off all
the utensils, pots, tubing, spoons, bottles, and containers
with a good sanitizer. B-Brite is a good commercial brand.
The second rule of mead is that anything you wash with
your sanitizer needs to be very well rinsed afterwards
with fresh water (no one likes a case of the runs, if you
know what i mean).
Keeping in mind these two rules, the rest is easy:

1: Boil the honey with 1/2 of the water
2: As the honey begins to foam, skim the surface with a
fine mesh strainer until no more foam bubbles up. Make
sure you get the bulk of this, but by no means be fanatical
about it. You do have other things to do.
3: Mash up the strawberrys and the rhubarb chuncks and
put them in the bottom of your plastic brewing bucket.
4: Put the boiled honey in the bucket along with the
other 1/2 gallon of water.
5: Let this mixture cool, as the hot honey will surely
kill the yeast.
6: When the mix is cool (about 85 degrees or therebouts),
add your yeast. PLEASE!!! In the name of all that is
good and culinary! Please dont use bread yeast!!! This
IS >>>NOT<<< the same stuff. Dont send a bread yeast
to do a beer or ale yeast's job! It WILL NOT WORK!!!
7: At this point, cover your bucket and put an air lock
on top and put it someplace that wont be disturbed.
8: When the air lock slows down to bubbling once every
30 seconds or so, your mead is just about done. This
part of the brewing process takes anywhere from three
weeks to two months depending on your climatic conditions.
You can, when you think it might be done, remove the airlock
sanitize and rinse off a straw, and put the straw through
the airlock hole for a taste to see if it's done. You will
want to bottle it when the honey sweetness is all gone.
9: WHen it comes time to bottle this wonderous elixier,
sanitize a bunch of plastic soda bottles. This will make
about a gallon of mead so clean as many bottles and caps
as necessary. Sanitize and rinse a piece of pvc tubing
(the hose kind that you can get at your local hardware
store). Now comes the fun part. Invite your favorite
person over to help you fill the bottles. You want to get
as much of the mead out as possible without getting any of
the pulp mixed in. Strain the mead through a big strainer
or collender (that has been sanitized and rinsed) and into
another bucket or pot. Take the pvc tubing and create a
vaccume type affair (you remember from sixth grade science
putting the bucket on the table and all of your bottles on the
floor... if you dont remember, e-mail me and i'll explane it.)
and syphon your mead into bottles. This really does work
best with another person to help, but it can be done with one.
10. Put your freshly bottled mead in the refrigerator for
about a week (if you can stand to wait that long). The
result is more than worth the effort put in. You cannot
buy anything that compares to this on the market. Really.

Happy Brewing.
Helga