Grape-Nuts Ideas Needed

frank williams

Nov 7, 1994, 10:21:03 AM11/7/94
So I purchased the giant box from Sam's Club.
Inside were 3 big boxes of grape-nuts.

I've crunched my way through one box and I
willnot ever eat the others unless...

Does anyone have any good ideas for what to
do with mass quantities of this stuff?
Like soak and then make bread or soup?
Throw at newly-weds?
Load the ol shotgun?

Please no posts to just microwave with milk.
Been there...

Frank

frank.w...@msfc.nasa.gov
http://www.mps.ohio-state.edu/cgi-bin/hpp?willitech.html

Paul Wallich

Nov 7, 1994, 6:32:58 PM11/7/94

>So I purchased the giant box from Sam's Club.
>Inside were 3 big boxes of grape-nuts.

>I've crunched my way through one box and I
>willnot ever eat the others unless...

>Does anyone have any good ideas for what to
>do with mass quantities of this stuff?
>Like soak and then make bread or soup?
>Throw at newly-weds?
>Load the ol shotgun?

You could probably soak and make a dynamite bread pudding -- milk, a
bunch of eggs, sugar, vanilla, rum, cinnamon, nutmeg etc. (about half
a cup of sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla, two tablespoons rum, 2-4 eggs per
quart of saturated grapenuts, and pinches of everything else to taste
-- taste before adding the eggs if you're worried about buggies. Then
bake tightly covered on very low, or steam, or whatever you do -- I
usually use a crockpot as a double boiler -- for several hours or overnight.)

Otherwise it's probably modelling clay.

paul

ps there was a place in new haven used to make wonderful grapenut ice
cream, but that may be pushing it.

A. Holder

Nov 7, 1994, 10:11:53 PM11/7/94
frank williams (frank.williams%ccm...@x400gw.msfc.nasa.gov) wrote:
: So I purchased the giant box from Sam's Club.

: Inside were 3 big boxes of grape-nuts.

: I've crunched my way through one box and I

: Does anyone have any good ideas for what to

: do with mass quantities of this stuff?
: Like soak and then make bread or soup?
: Throw at newly-weds?
: Load the ol shotgun?

The only thing I can recommend is to put them out for bird food, or maybe
gerbil food if you have some of those. I have known people to eat them
mixed with yogurt, though.

--

Amy Holder, New Mexico State University

Mary Burak

Nov 7, 1994, 11:35:25 PM11/7/94
Litterbox Cookies

There are two flavors-chocolate, and gingerbread.
The cookies are dense and not very sweet, this is necesssary
so that they will keep their shape during baking. If you use white flour
or sugar they may be tastier but they won't look like shit.

Chocolate ingredients:

1/2 cup honey
2/3 cup (1 and 1/3 stick) butter or margarine
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla or peppermint extract
2 cups whole wheat flour
1/3 cup cocoa powder
grape-nuts(tm) cereal

Gingerbread ingredients:

1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup molasses
2/3 cup(1 and 1/3 stick) butter or margerine
1 egg
2 and 1/3 cups whole wheat flour
spices-ginger, cinnamon, cloves to taste(maybe 1/2 tsp each)
grape-nuts(tm) cereal

Mix-ins:

coconut
chocolate chips
butterscotch chips
peanut butter chips

To make:
Microwave the honey till it bubbles(about 1 minute). add the butter, and
the molasses, if any. Add the egg, mix well, then mix in all the other
stuff. A dd mix-ins of your choice to some or all of the batter.

Chill 1 hour in the freezer or several hours in the fridge. Roll dough
logs of random length and the diameter of cat poops. Roll logs in grape-
nuts and bake at 350 degrees till done (10 to 15 minutes).

Serve in a disposable cat litter box on a bed of grapenuts, with a cat
litter scoop. I hear you get lovely effects by decorating the box and
scoop with melted chocolate or pudding.

This recipe worked especially well at the halloween party where the table
was already decorated with plastic flies.

Mary Burak mab...@nmsu.edu
Workstation Support Center
Computing and Networking Technologies Organization
New Mexico State University, Las Cruces

http://www.nmsu.edu/demo_page/test.html

SHO...@maine.maine.edu

Nov 8, 1994, 8:32:58 AM11/8/94
I use grape-nuts as a replacement for nuts in alot of recipes.
I put a 1/2 cup or so in my banana bread or muffins and I stir it
into my yogurt for lunch. Also mixed it in vanilla icecream.
Yum Yum

Michael J. Edelman

Nov 8, 1994, 10:47:04 AM11/8/94
My favorite camping dessert is a mix of grape-nuts, powdered milk and powdered cocoa.
Add boiling water and eat. Pudding sounds like a good use, too. But don't load
shotshells with it... federal wildlife regulations prohibit anything heavier than
lead.

--mike

Linda

Nov 8, 1994, 11:06:58 AM11/8/94
I discovered <quite by accident> that Grape-Nuts cereal works well as a
substitute for nuts in just about anything. Cookies, cakes, brownies etc.
In fact, they retain a lot of their crunchiness, so go a bit easy on the
amount used. They will soften a bit, after storage. I've mixed them in
and just sprinkled them on top...

--
| lru...@nyx.cs.du.edu | when they give you lined paper...
| Computer Avenue |
| Denver Colorado | write the other way.....
-----------------------

kari toyer

Nov 8, 1994, 5:47:03 PM11/8/94
frank williams (frank.williams%ccm...@x400gw.msfc.nasa.gov) wrote:
: So I purchased the giant box from Sam's Club.

: Inside were 3 big boxes of grape-nuts.

Do you have an ice cream maker? In Jamaica they make grape nut ice
cream. My, but this is good stuff. The cereal loses what my husband
refers toas the "gravelly" quality. I like it!!! It is basically
vanilla with grape nuts mixed in. Of course, I also like the stuff in
my yogurt, but, my husband doesn't buy into that combination!

--
Kari Benson Toyer
University of Nebraska-Lincoln

Mark Thorson

Nov 8, 1994, 10:11:26 PM11/8/94
Speaking of Grape-Nuts, here's a little background from
_Cereal_Technology_ by Samuel Matz (AVI Press, 1970),
page 235 [great book, BTW, like everything from AVI]:

CEREAL GRANULES

The only product of this type being marketed on a nationwide
basis is Grape-Nuts made by Post Cereals Division of General
Foods Corp. It is manufactured by a method quite different
from that applied to any other breakfast cereal. In essence,
this food is the toasted fragment of a loaf of bread--albeit
an unusual type of bread. It bears a strong resemblance to
some of the earliest types of precooked cereals.

The initial step in the manufacture of cereal granules is the
preparation of a stiff dough from wheat, malted barley flour,
salt, dry yeast, and water. A dough weight of 1600 lb is a
common size. After mixing, the dough is dumped into troughs
and stored at 80oF and 80% RH for 4.5 to 5 hr. During this
stage, much hydrolysis of the starch to sugars occurs by
virtue of the action of the malt enzymes and some leavening
takes place as a result of the yeast fermentation.

At the end of the fermentation period, the dough is formed
into loaves and transferred to the ovens without the
intervention of a proofing period. The loaves are baked for
2 hr at 400oF and then depanned (Fig. 75).

The baked loaves are fragmented by shredding knives, or saws,
and the pieces transferred to the secondary ovens after
passing through a sizing step which removes fines. After
2 hr or more of baking at about 250oF, the pieces are broken
up into small granules which are carefully sized before
packaging. Fines from each stage of the operation are used
in subsequent doughs.

Sorcerer

Nov 9, 1994, 5:00:59 AM11/9/94
In article <frank.williams%ccmail.23...@x400gw.msfc.nasa.gov>,

frank williams <frank.williams%ccm...@x400gw.msfc.nasa.gov> wrote:

>Does anyone have any good ideas for what to
>do with mass quantities of this stuff?
>Like soak and then make bread or soup?
>Throw at newly-weds?
>Load the ol shotgun?

Carry a few boxes in your car to pour under the tires for traction
in case you get stuck in the snow.

;-)

Nancy Dooley

Nov 9, 1994, 2:40:49 AM11/9/94

Here's my favorite recipe for Grape-Nuts. (No, it isn't a mistake...it
doesn't have any oil/butter.) This recipe makes two regular-sized loaves,
freezes beautifully, and is a hit every Christmas at our house, even with the
little ones.

Amy's Grape-Nut Bread

1 C. grapenuts
2 C. sugar
2 C. buttermilk

Soak overnight. (Put in cool place, but need not refrigerate.)

Add:

2 eggs, beaten well
1/2 tsp. salt
4 C. flour, not sifted
3 tsp. baking powder
1 level tsp. baking soda dissolved in hot water (I use about 2-3 T.)

Pour/spread into two regular bread pans, well greased. Bake at 350 degrees
for about 45-50 minutes (test for doneness). Cool and wrap tightly in plastic
wrap. Devour!
* * *

Other ideas: Put a handful in the bottom of a piecrust for a custard pie; it
adds wonderful flavor and mild crunchies on the top of the baked pie. I've
seen people sprinkle it on yogurt and ice cream, also.

Anne Bourget

Nov 9, 1994, 7:20:09 PM11/9/94
Ooooh...send me some. The night before last I finished up my box.
Grape-Nuts make a mighty tastey meal in a pinch. ;-)

Anne
Anne Bourget bou...@netcom.com

Leah Smith

Nov 9, 1994, 8:53:59 PM11/9/94
This is said to be a New England specialty. I haven't tried it. This
recipe comes from "Mr. Food Cooks Real American," by Art Ginsburg,
Morrow, 1994, ISBN 0-688-12637-5.

Grapenut pudding

1 cup Grapenuts
2 cups milk, warmed
2 cups half-and-half
4 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Ground nutmeg for garnish

Preheat the oven to 350 F. In a large bowl, combine all of the
ingredients except the nutmeg. Pour into a greased 9-inch square baking
pan, then sprinkle with nutmeg. Place the baking pan in a larger pan
and add water to the larger pan, filling it halfway. Banke for 1 hour,
until light golden and set. Let cool. Then serve.

Serve with dollops of whipped topping, if you like.

I've also seen a recipe for bread made from Grapenuts (which is kind of
interesting, because the Grapenuts themselves are made from bread), but
I can't seem to lay hands on it at present. I'll keep looking.
--
Leah Smith le...@smith.chi.il.us

Noeline McCaughan

Nov 10, 1994, 1:51:51 AM11/10/94
frank williams (frank.williams%ccm...@x400gw.msfc.nasa.gov) wrote:

: So I purchased the giant box from Sam's Club.

: Inside were 3 big boxes of grape-nuts.

: Does anyone have any good ideas for what to

: do with mass quantities of this stuff?

1. Buy two rabbits and feed it to them.

2. Offer it to friends who wish to resurface their driveway.

3. Wait until your driveway ices over and use it to provide traction for
your car so you can get out and go buy some more grape-nuts.

4. Fill some sacks with them and keep them handy for use as sandbags when
the floods come.

5. Refill your beanbag - the one lying in the back of the closet -
remember the kids disembowelled it in a fit of boredom one day?

6. Soak the lot in pureed cucumber and corner the face-pack market.

7. Glue it to sheets of card and put it in the bottom of the parrot cage
as dinky new cage mats.

8. dip it in food colouring and glue it to the wall as a mural.

How's that for starters?

Noeline.

Lisa Staton

Nov 10, 1994, 7:42:51 PM11/10/94
In article <94312.083...@MAINE.MAINE.EDU>,

use in chocolate chip cookies too (1 cup for a normal size batch).
adds almost a carmel-crunch flavor. I go out of my way to buy
grapenuts for cookies, when I'd never eat them as cereal.

Liz

Nov 10, 1994, 1:32:00 PM11/10/94
In article <noelin...@styx.equinox.gen.nz> noe...@styx.equinox.gen.nz (Noeline McCaughan) writes:
>frank williams (frank.williams%ccm...@x400gw.msfc.nasa.gov) wrote:
>: So I purchased the giant box from Sam's Club.
>: Inside were 3 big boxes of grape-nuts.

>3. Wait until your driveway ices over and use it to provide traction for

>your car so you can get out and go buy some more grape-nuts.

Don't laugh, I've *done* this before. I didn't have any salt or sand so I
used grits and when I ran out of those I used grape nuts. It worked great and
the birds had a field day after the thaw.

Liz

Leona Slepetis

Nov 10, 1994, 11:07:23 PM11/10/94
In article <eeeCyz...@netcom.com>, Mark Thorson <e...@netcom.com> wrote:
>Speaking of Grape-Nuts, here's a little background from
>_Cereal_Technology_ by Samuel Matz (AVI Press, 1970),
>page 235 [great book, BTW, like everything from AVI]:

Good technical article. Here's one about Grape Nuts rejects I pulled
from my archives. It appeared in this group a few years ago.

Arnie, if you're still here, thanks for the great story.

From: Arnie Skurow <ar...@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu>
Subject: Grape Nuts FURTHER defined
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1992 16:05:21 GMT

I used to work for the Post Cereal Division of General Foods Corp and
had responsibilities in the buildings that produced Post Toasties, Postum
beverage and Grape Nuts.

Grape Nuts cereal starts its life as a loaf of multigrain bread. A dough
of many grains, including the bran outer coat of the grain, is mixed with
yeasts, water, sugars, salt and other flavorings. The dough is proofed
(risen), knocked down and then proofed again. After the second knockdown
the dough is metered through a metering/cutting device into ~2 pound loaf
pans that look like any quality bread pan one would use at home. As I can
remember, the pans had a non-stick surface similar to the baking magic
pans one can purchase.

The pans containing the loaves of dough travel through a travelling oven
made of brick and firebrick. The heat source was natural gas. Again,
as I can recollect, the ovens were nearly 100 feet long, from entrance to
exit. The first xxx feet were a warming area so the loaves could rise.
The next xxx feet were the baking area and the next and final xxx feet
were the cooling area.

At the end of the oven the loaves slid down a ramp in their pans and the
pans were upended, dumping their individual loaves onto a conveyor belt
that took the loaves upstairs to the production/packing area. After the
loaves were semi-cooled they were broken into 2 to 3 inch chunks and further
cooled. These 2 to 3 inch chunks were then dried in a warm, forced-air
source until the chunks are dried to xx% moisture content, usually 12 to
13%.

These chunks are then further broken up and sieved until the desirable
grape nuts sizes are reached. These somewhat consistently sized pieces
are packaged.

A couple of anecdotes.

Before I left the plant for the day I'd always sneak over to the
Grape Nuts oven and snitch a fresh loaf of Grape Nuts bread. It would be
somewhat hot. I'd take it home and we'd slice it like bread and
slather it with butter which would melt in. It's one of the best multi-
grained breads I've ever eaten. It has a very short shelf life because
of the original dough mixture being rather stiff and dry. It would keep
in the fridge for several days though and would toast well.

One of our employee's wives used to roll out and crush the grape nuts
cereal, season it and coat food with it. She'd bake the food in the
oven with excellent results.

He suggested the idea to our plant Q.C. people who further passed it
up the line that the "fines" (small particles which slipped through
the sieves and were too small to meet Q.C. standards for packaging)
were excellent breading for chicken, pork chops, etc.

This was the birth of Shake and Bake. Normally fines were conveyed to
large stainless steel tanks and were shipped out as animal feed or to
one of our dog food plants to be used in making dog food. A new use
for these fines went into the Shake and Bake project and captured
considerable profit from the use of fines as another General Foods
product.

Shake and Bake became so popular that they had to run extra shifts to
make enough Grape Nuts bread to make the fines needed for shake and bake.

General Foods built another plant and tried to duplicate the Grape
Nuts process but never succeeded with it. They could never replicate
the taste. All processes were the same, yet the taste could never be
replicated.

The problem was the ovens were newer, more modern ovens. The original
ovens that were in the Battle Creek plant had actually taken on such
characteristics after years and years of use that they actually
influenced the flavor of the foods being baked in them. Conceivably,
Grape Nuts produced in the original ovens should continue to improve in
flavor with each year the ovens are used.

Arnie Skurow

Dan Masi

Nov 11, 1994, 4:17:05 PM11/11/94
In article 06...@styx.equinox.gen.nz, noe...@styx.equinox.gen.nz (Noeline McCaughan) writes:
>frank williams (frank.williams%ccm...@x400gw.msfc.nasa.gov) wrote:
>
>: So I purchased the giant box from Sam's Club.
>: Inside were 3 big boxes of grape-nuts.
>
>: Does anyone have any good ideas for what to
>: do with mass quantities of this stuff?
>
> [...lots of funny ideas deleted...]

>How's that for starters?

Very good!

Might I add:

- Mix with potting soil for better drainage when planting.

- Glue to the bottom of the bathtub to provide a safe, nonskid surface.

- Use as an environmentally-conscious packing material.

- When unannounced and unwanted guests arrive, put out bowls of
it.

- Mix with baby oil, rub vigorously in the shower; makes an effective
skin exfoliant and polish. Also works as a rough car compound.

- Keep in the cupboard in case you are isolated by a blizzard and run
out of food (just kidding!).

- Make throw pillows.

- Fill walls with it for an effective insulation; even mice who eat
fiberglass insulation won't touch this stuff.

---
Dan Masi
Mentor Graphics Corp.
da...@warren.mentorg.com

Anne Bourget

Nov 11, 1994, 8:08:16 PM11/11/94
I would like to defend the poor Grape-Nuts that have been taking quite a
beating in this thread. Now I despise *real* nuts (especially walnuts),
but when tired and hungry a bowl (a small one, for these dense little
things do go a very long way) of Grape-Nuts for dinner in front of the
television is a real comfort meal...for me that is. Must confess, that
when I have a bit more energy I will go the extra mile and boil some
water for either Malt-o Meal or Oatmeal. Nevertheless, it is also
comforting to know that in a real pinch they have so many other uses.

Anne Bourget

Ray Bruman

Nov 14, 1994, 10:16:36 PM11/14/94
frank.williams%ccm...@x400gw.msfc.nasa.gov (frank williams) writes:

> >So I purchased the giant box from Sam's Club.
> >Inside were 3 big boxes of grape-nuts.
>
> >I've crunched my way through one box and I
> >willnot ever eat the others unless...
>
> >Does anyone have any good ideas for what to
> >do with mass quantities of this stuff?

I like Grape Nuts, but I understand how they could pall.

"Ever eat a rock?
Some parts are edible!
Their crunchy texture reminds me of Post Grape Nuts[tm]!"
--- Euell Gibbons

What I do is, make a little mixture of cold cereals, depending
on my mood. My current favorite is:

First in the bowl: two Nabisco Graham crackers, busted in eighths.
(optional) some fruit or raisins
add: 1/4 cup granola of some sort
1/4 cup Grape Nuts
Milk, enough to cover.
let stand until the milk soaks in a bit. Stir it a bit.

Mmmm.

---
Ray Bruman In this establishment,
Raynet Corp. we DO NOT DISCUSS
rbr...@raynet.com race, religion, politics,
415-688-2325 or nutrition.

Tim Brown

Nov 23, 1994, 9:47:00 AM11/23/94
One of the most well received Grape Nuts dishes I've ever used professionally
isa Grape Nut Custard. To standard custard mixing ( 8 eggs /qt of cream +/- 4
oz sugar) add 1 1/2 cup grape nuts. fill custard cups 3/4 full and bake using
bain marie until knif
e comes out clean.

hope this helps

Tim Brown, CEC, CCE
Chef Instructor

Ellen Ferlazzo

Nov 26, 1994, 11:04:30 PM11/26/94
Re: Graphe-Nuts
I love to add some TO the oatmeal before I cook it. They add a great flavor.