OT: Christmas gifts

Gary

Nov 19, 2019, 10:05:21 AM11/19/19
I got a small xmas gift magazine in Sundays newspaper.
All are unique gifts. Some cool and quite reasonable.
Other's are Neiman Marcus quality.

One that caught my eye this morning was a hand held
hair dryer made by Dyson. It's their deluxe one -
only $399.99 each. WTH?

https://observer.com/2017/07/dyson-supersonic-hair-dryer-review/

Cindy Hamilton

Nov 19, 2019, 10:23:01 AM11/19/19
It surprises you that people will spend stupid money on stuff like
this? There's one born every minute.

Happily, I only have to buy gifts for my husband, so it's all tools
and toys.

Cindy Hamilton

Ed Pawlowski

Nov 19, 2019, 11:27:48 AM11/19/19
Thanks for the tip. I'm going to get one for drying my underarm hair.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Nov 19, 2019, 12:19:07 PM11/19/19
On Tuesday, November 19, 2019 at 10:27:48 AM UTC-6, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> Thanks for the tip. I'm going to get one for drying my underarm hair.

You don't think you'd like to use it on your leg hair?

lucreti...@fl.it

Nov 19, 2019, 12:41:47 PM11/19/19
My younger daughter has one and swears she would never own another
make after having a Dyson.

Gary

Nov 19, 2019, 12:43:21 PM11/19/19
I'm considering buying several for gifts. Who doesn't like
a hair dryer?

lucreti...@fl.it

Nov 19, 2019, 12:44:34 PM11/19/19
My daughter tried one her friend had and said after that she knew she
would get one. She does keep her hair nicely and she has her fathers
type of hair, thick and wavy so it takes managing :) Me? I don't
have hair like hers so I love my Dyson stick which picks up all the
cat fur and any litter that gets out of place.

dsi1

Nov 19, 2019, 1:24:16 PM11/19/19
It's the Tesla of hair dryers.

Ed Pawlowski

Nov 19, 2019, 2:20:47 PM11/19/19
Like the hand dryers in restrooms, it is a portable you can use it ALL
over. Don't laugh, I've used a hair dryer when going out after a shower
to dry between the toes. It works.

penm...@aol.com

Nov 19, 2019, 3:30:13 PM11/19/19
It'd be much easier to use a dispsable razor, keep one in the shower,
that's what most women do... the same razor does underarms, legs, and
pubes. I prefer neatly trimmed pubes, a sparse landinging strip is
fine but for me a big wild bush is a turn off.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Nov 19, 2019, 4:33:04 PM11/19/19
I used my handheld hair dryer several weeks ago to melt the ice off the
freezer coils awaiting the replacement part. Only had to use it once!

Julie Bove

Nov 19, 2019, 11:28:23 PM11/19/19

"Gary" <g.ma...@att.net> wrote in message news:5DD404D0...@att.net...
I spent years drying and styling my hair. Finally figured out with the right
cut, I don't have to do anything to it! Just let it air dry.

Julie Bove

Nov 19, 2019, 11:29:20 PM11/19/19

"Gary" <g.ma...@att.net> wrote in message news:5DD429DA...@att.net...
Me! Give me beans!

Ned Ryerson

Nov 20, 2019, 5:18:15 AM11/20/19
On Tue, 19 Nov 2019 20:28:02 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:

> I spent years drying and styling my hair. Finally figured out with the right
> cut, I don't have to do anything to it! Just let it air dry.

And it shows

https://scontent.faus1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/s960x960/10631230_10153482705540021_4380886704169810287_o.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_oc=AQmudDlzrcIVUv4Fci5bNJV2YQv73MHeUZosxJOQZKGv-SyvZunRbIsEVNJNQCBpR5v57gb6xiucB59WWel-EOUN&_nc_ht=scontent.faus1-1.fna&oh=3a2ccb1b9d63652c1cbd2365a53fece4&oe=5E3EBA33

Gary

Nov 20, 2019, 9:12:38 AM11/20/19
Julie Bove wrote:

> "Gary" wrote:
> > I'm considering buying several for gifts. Who doesn't like
> > a hair dryer?
>
> Me! Give me beans!

No lumps of coal in your stocking this Christmas, Julie!
How about a stocking full of beans?

Just curious. Do you (or anyone here) have a favorite bean?
I could name maybe 6 favorites but probably not just one.

I think it's Songbird here that grows many kinds.

Cindy Hamilton

Nov 20, 2019, 9:32:59 AM11/20/19
On Wednesday, November 20, 2019 at 9:12:38 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:
> Julie Bove wrote:
> >
> > "Gary" wrote:
> > > I'm considering buying several for gifts. Who doesn't like
> > > a hair dryer?
> >
> > Me! Give me beans!
>
> No lumps of coal in your stocking this Christmas, Julie!
> How about a stocking full of beans?
>
> Just curious. Do you (or anyone here) have a favorite bean?
> I could name maybe 6 favorites but probably not just one.

The legume I cook most frequently is split orange lentils. The
runner-up is canned navy beans.

Cindy Hamilton

penm...@aol.com

Nov 20, 2019, 1:53:02 PM11/20/19
My favorites are Fordhooks (soups), turtle beans (refried), and
roasted garbonzos, best snack on the planet
(https://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-crispy-roasted-chickpeas-in-the-oven-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-219753)

cshenk

Nov 20, 2019, 7:50:53 PM11/20/19
I don't have one and when gifted with on, they go out on TrashNothing
for folks who want one.

Bruce

Nov 20, 2019, 7:57:21 PM11/20/19
It's cheaper to let it dry in the wind.

jmcquown

Nov 20, 2019, 10:32:44 PM11/20/19
On 11/19/2019 10:05 AM, Gary wrote:
> I got a small xmas gift magazine in Sundays newspaper.
> All are unique gifts. Some cool and quite reasonable.
> Other's are Neiman Marcus quality.
>
> One that caught my eye this morning was a hand held
> hair dryer made by Dyson. It's their deluxe one -
> only $399.99 each. WTH?

I've started getting Christmas catalogs in the mail even though I do not
order Christmas gifts for anyone. Sharper Image. Why? I expect any
day now to get a catalog that suggests I donate money to buy livestock
for families in South American Countries. Not kidding, I do get one of
those every year. Sorry, I'm not helping people raise guinea pigs for food.

I don't buy Christmas gifts. And no, I don't use a hair dryer. I sure
as hell wouldn't pay $399 for one.

Jill

Dave Smith

Nov 20, 2019, 10:47:57 PM11/20/19
On 2019-11-20 10:32 p.m., jmcquown wrote:
> On 11/19/2019 10:05 AM, Gary wrote:
>> I got a small xmas gift magazine in Sundays newspaper.
>> All are unique gifts. Some cool and quite reasonable.
>> Other's are Neiman Marcus quality.
>>
>> One that caught my eye this morning was a hand held
>> hair dryer made by Dyson. It's their deluxe one -
>> only $399.99 each.  WTH?
>>

> I've started getting Christmas catalogs in the mail even though I do not
> order Christmas gifts for anyone.  Sharper Image.  Why?  I expect any
> day now to get a catalog that suggests I donate money to buy livestock
> for families in South American Countries.  Not kidding, I do get one of
> those every year.  Sorry, I'm not helping people raise guinea pigs for
> food.

You must have made a donation to something and got your name on a sucker
list that they sold to other organizations. One year we gave a hefty
donation to the Cancer Society. The next year we got beg leaders from
cancer societies for just about every type of cancer there is.... lung,
kidney, liver, skin, brain, stomach.....

> I don't buy Christmas gifts.  And no, I don't use a hair dryer.  I sure
> as hell wouldn't pay $399 for one.

I don't have any need for one. I am at the point in my life where it
takes longer to dry the hair on my back than the hair on my head.

Ed Pawlowski

Nov 20, 2019, 11:03:58 PM11/20/19
I do give to one charity on line. Others, if I can't give anonymously I
don't give at all. Once they have your name the mail does not stop.
This year I will also give to the hospice too. They were excellent when
we needed them. Far better than I imagined.

The other day 4 catalogs came in the mail. I did not even look to see
where they were from, right into the recycle bin.

I'm a little sad though, I thought for sure this year you were getting
me the hair dryer. I guess its best to find out now, not Christmas
morning.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Nov 20, 2019, 11:28:10 PM11/20/19
On Wednesday, November 20, 2019 at 10:03:58 PM UTC-6, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> The other day 4 catalogs came in the mail. I did not even look to see
> where they were from, right into the recycle bin.

You do tear off your name and address and also look inside if there is a
pre-printed order form with your name and address and those are shredded,
I hope?

Hank Rogers

Nov 20, 2019, 11:39:11 PM11/20/19
Being in the country, I just stuff junk mail in an empty feed sack.
When it's full, I burn it and get out another sack. In the city, you
probably can't do that though, unless you have some type of incinerator.

Ed Pawlowski

Nov 20, 2019, 11:42:42 PM11/20/19
Never though to look inside but yes, they do that sometimes. I don't
toss anything with may name on it though. My credit card company sent
me some preprinted checks to use with a special rate. I can't imagine
putting them in the trash but I bet people do.

Dave Smith

Nov 20, 2019, 11:50:51 PM11/20/19
My wife once made a donation to a hospice out in BC after an old school
friend died there. That place sent her 2 or more beg letters for years
and years. At some point the cost of mailing those letters exceeded that
one donation she made. She also has a number of charity fundraisers
that send her pads of paper and personalized return address stickers.
She has accepted that unsolicited items like that do not oblige her to
make a donation. They keep sending them and she no longer has to pay
for address stickers.

graham

Nov 21, 2019, 12:03:15 AM11/21/19
What pisses me off royally is when I have made a donation, they ask for
more, sometimes within days. I used to give to the principal cancer
society here. I made a substantial donation and about a month later they
sent me a letter asking me to put them in my will. About a month after
that, they sent me a calendar suggesting a donation of $200.
I called them and told them to take me off their donor list. The fact
that salary of the CEO of the charity was over $300k didn't endear them
to me either.

Bruce

Nov 21, 2019, 12:12:50 AM11/21/19
Because otherwise the bad men know Ed's last name and address?

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Nov 21, 2019, 12:48:25 AM11/21/19
On Wednesday, November 20, 2019 at 10:39:11 PM UTC-6, Hank Rogers wrote:

> Being in the country, I just stuff junk mail in an empty feed sack.
> When it's full, I burn it and get out another sack. In the city, you
> probably can't do that though, unless you have some type of incinerator.

Naw, us city folks have to have a burn permit to do any large burning but a
shredder takes care of that problem. I've got one that produces sorta, kinda
diamond shaped shreds. Handy thing to have around.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Nov 21, 2019, 12:53:21 AM11/21/19
On Wednesday, November 20, 2019 at 10:50:51 PM UTC-6, Dave Smith wrote:

> My wife once made a donation to a hospice out in BC after an old school
> friend died there. That place sent her 2 or more beg letters for years
> and years. At some point the cost of mailing those letters exceeded that
> one donation she made. She also has a number of charity fundraisers
> that send her pads of paper and personalized return address stickers.
> She has accepted that unsolicited items like that do not oblige her to
> make a donation. They keep sending them and she no longer has to pay
> for address stickers.

I get those beg letters with all sorts of goodies inside in an attempt to
tempt me into making a donation. Pads, calendars, address labels, day
planners, puzzle books, etc.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Nov 21, 2019, 12:56:50 AM11/21/19
I'd call them more scum than bad men. People who would attempt to use your
name and address for all sorts of fraudulent activity. Especially if that
carelessly thrown away mail has some sort of account number on it.

But he's here, ask him.

Bruce

Nov 21, 2019, 1:09:59 AM11/21/19
On Wed, 20 Nov 2019 21:56:46 -0800 (PST), "itsjoan...@webtv.net"
<itsjoan...@webtv.net> wrote:

>On Wednesday, November 20, 2019 at 11:12:50 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, 20 Nov 2019 20:28:06 -0800 (PST), "itsjoan...@webtv.net"
>> <itsjoan...@webtv.net> wrote:
>>
>> >You do tear off your name and address and also look inside if there is a
>> >pre-printed order form with your name and address and those are shredded,
>> >I hope?
>>
>> Because otherwise the bad men know Ed's last name and address?
>>
>I'd call them more scum than bad men. People who would attempt to use your
>name and address for all sorts of fraudulent activity. Especially if that
>carelessly thrown away mail has some sort of account number on it.

Yes, I read that Americans are very secretive about their account
numbers.

>But he's here, ask him.

I asked you. I didn't say "Maybe Joan doesn't want the bad men to know
Ed's name and address", like McGossip would have.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Nov 21, 2019, 1:19:57 AM11/21/19
On Thursday, November 21, 2019 at 12:09:59 AM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Nov 2019 21:56:46 -0800 (PST), "itsjoan...@webtv.net"
> <itsjoan...@webtv.net> wrote:
>
> >On Wednesday, November 20, 2019 at 11:12:50 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:

> >> Because otherwise the bad men know Ed's last name and address?
> >>
> >I'd call them more scum than bad men. People who would attempt to use your
> >name and address for all sorts of fraudulent activity. Especially if that
> >carelessly thrown away mail has some sort of account number on it.
>
> Yes, I read that Americans are very secretive about their account
> numbers.

I can't believe identity theft is non-existent down under.

> >But he's here, ask him.
>
> I asked you. I didn't say "Maybe Joan doesn't want the bad men to know
> Ed's name and address", like McGossip would have.

Back peddling will surely trip you up in those wooden shoes.

Bed time!

Bruce

Nov 21, 2019, 2:02:37 AM11/21/19
On Wed, 20 Nov 2019 22:19:53 -0800 (PST), "itsjoan...@webtv.net"
<itsjoan...@webtv.net> wrote:

>On Thursday, November 21, 2019 at 12:09:59 AM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, 20 Nov 2019 21:56:46 -0800 (PST), "itsjoan...@webtv.net"
>> <itsjoan...@webtv.net> wrote:

>> >I'd call them more scum than bad men. People who would attempt to use your
>> >name and address for all sorts of fraudulent activity. Especially if that
>> >carelessly thrown away mail has some sort of account number on it.
>>
>> Yes, I read that Americans are very secretive about their account
>> numbers.
>>
>I can't believe identity theft is non-existent down under.

I'm sure it exists, but Americans are a lot more scared than us, cool
people.

>> >But he's here, ask him.
>>
>> I asked you. I didn't say "Maybe Joan doesn't want the bad men to know
>> Ed's name and address", like McGossip would have.
>>
>Back peddling will surely trip you up in those wooden shoes.

You don't make sense.

>Bed time!

I'd say so!

Jinx the Minx

Nov 21, 2019, 3:28:58 AM11/21/19
Gary <g.ma...@att.net> wrote:
> I got a small xmas gift magazine in Sundays newspaper.
> All are unique gifts. Some cool and quite reasonable.
> Other's are Neiman Marcus quality.
>
> One that caught my eye this morning was a hand held
> hair dryer made by Dyson. It's their deluxe one -
> only $399.99 each. WTH?
>
> https://observer.com/2017/07/dyson-supersonic-hair-dryer-review/

I have that dryer! Don’t knock it til you’ve tried it. I love mine so much
I won’t even travel without it.

Cindy Hamilton

Nov 21, 2019, 6:26:30 AM11/21/19
On Thursday, November 21, 2019 at 1:09:59 AM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Nov 2019 21:56:46 -0800 (PST), "itsjoan...@webtv.net"
> <itsjoan...@webtv.net> wrote:
>
> >On Wednesday, November 20, 2019 at 11:12:50 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:

> >> Because otherwise the bad men know Ed's last name and address?
> >>
> >I'd call them more scum than bad men. People who would attempt to use your
> >name and address for all sorts of fraudulent activity. Especially if that
> >carelessly thrown away mail has some sort of account number on it.
>
> Yes, I read that Americans are very secretive about their account
> numbers.

Identity theft is a huge problem here. We've had our credit card number
used a couple of times. In each case the credit card company detected
it, cancelled the card and issued a new number. If the thieves had
been a little smarter they might have gone undetected for close to
30 days.

We were also caught up in the famous Equifax breach, and the slightly
less famous U.S. government Office of Personnel Management breach.

Shit, we might as well rent a billboard and put all our userids and
passwords on it, as well as our Social Security numbers.

Cindy Hamilton

lucreti...@fl.it

Nov 21, 2019, 7:57:14 AM11/21/19
This past year seems to have been really bad for junk mail from
charities. I do not want it, I have sent the envelopes back marking
'return to sender' and on the back of the envelopes have written 'Pls
do not use our donations on this ridiculous stuff'.

Every charity that sent is off my list now, down to three, Canadian
Wildlife Federation, Sally Army and best of all War Amps. Never found
them wasting money.

I stopped giving to the Food Bank here when I saw the CEO was pulling
in $141,000 per annum, well above the average NS salary. After that I
just put donations of food in the collector at the supermarket but
someone who put in some work at the Food Bank said not to waste my
money putting in treats like Cadburys Choc because it never reached
the needy, it was put to one side!

I do wonder though why they have started sending all this junk? Is it
that us old people are dying off and younger people have to get
something to give something??

lucreti...@fl.it

Nov 21, 2019, 7:59:35 AM11/21/19
lol that's exactly what my daughter says.

jmcquown

Nov 21, 2019, 9:05:30 AM11/21/19
I've got a ton of those free return address labels! Thank you very much
[insert charity name here]... I can tell you're using the donations you
receive very wisely. <snicker>

Jill

Gary

Nov 21, 2019, 9:09:39 AM11/21/19
Bruce wrote:

> Gary wrote:
> > Who doesn't like a hair dryer?
>
> It's cheaper to let it dry in the wind.

All jokes aside. That does give me the best look. While still
damp, go for a bike ride. Not for that reason though.
Other than that, I'll just let it
air dry, combing a few times as it dries.

I've had a $15 hair dryer for many years.
I never use it on my hair.
Perfect weapon for drying paint samples though!

Gary

Nov 21, 2019, 9:14:02 AM11/21/19
For $400 dollars I would certainly HOPE that the buyers are
happy. ;)

Dave Smith

Nov 21, 2019, 9:26:09 AM11/21/19
It's amazing how many people think they have to send money for those
unsolicited articles.

One of their better gimmicks is to have 4-5 amounts of donation to check
off... $20 $50 $75 $100 Other ____. That leads people to think they
are expected to pay s way more than they really want to, so the cheap
out and offer the lowest amount, which is what they beggars were
thinking would be a generous donation.

Ed Pawlowski

Nov 21, 2019, 9:31:47 AM11/21/19
I'm sure it is good, but what does it do that makes it better than a $30
or $50? I tend to by the top of the line appliances, car model, and
such but I'm missing the dryer deal.

Dave Smith

Nov 21, 2019, 9:41:00 AM11/21/19
It dries their hair a couple seconds faster.

jmcquown

Nov 21, 2019, 9:47:07 AM11/21/19
It may be great for people who spend a lot of time styling their hair
using a blow dryer. I'm not one of those people. My hair is long and
fairly straight. It dries very fast all by itself. :)

Jill

graham

Nov 21, 2019, 10:34:15 AM11/21/19
I won't give to the Sallies. They (and another christian charity) turn
away anyone under the influence of drink or drugs, even when it's -30C,
whereas the secular "doss house" never turns anyone away.

> I stopped giving to the Food Bank here when I saw the CEO was pulling
> in $141,000 per annum, well above the average NS salary. After that I
> just put donations of food in the collector at the supermarket but
> someone who put in some work at the Food Bank said not to waste my
> money putting in treats like Cadburys Choc because it never reached
> the needy, it was put to one side!

The Food bank here is well run and the salaries very reasonable - I
checked on the CRA site.

graham

Nov 21, 2019, 10:39:57 AM11/21/19
I'm bald so the hair dryer is for guests or the rapid drying of a piece
on my lathe:-)

penm...@aol.com

Nov 21, 2019, 11:11:03 AM11/21/19
On Wed, 20 Nov 2019 jmcquown wrote:

>I've started getting Christmas catalogs in the mail even though I do not
>order Christmas gifts for anyone. Sharper Image. Why? I expect any
>day now to get a catalog that suggests I donate money to buy livestock
>for families in South American Countries. Not kidding, I do get one of
>those every year. Sorry, I'm not helping people raise guinea pigs for food.

We buy Christmas gifts for the cats; toys, heated blankies water bowls
and food bowls for the outside cats

>I don't buy Christmas gifts. And no, I don't use a hair dryer. I sure
>as hell wouldn't pay $399 for one.
>
>Jill

My wife uses a hair dryer every day. She has longish hair and uses
the blower on low heat for styling. In fact she just last week bought
a new one from Amazon, cost $40:
https://www.amazon.com/CONFU-Professional-BlowDryer-Hairdryers-Concentrators/dp/B07PJK257B/ref=sr_1_5?crid=4I1QJ3FB073S&keywords=confu+professional+hair+dryer&qid=1574351038&sprefix=confu%2Cspecialty-aps-sns%2C166&sr=8-5
A hair dryer is also handy to have for crafts.
I bought a heat gun from Amazon but not recommended for drying
hair.... very useful in winter for thawing hydraulic lines on the
tractor:
https://www.amazon.com/PORTER-CABLE-PC1500HG-1500-Watt-Heat-Gun/dp/B004Q04X44/ref=sxts_sxwds-bia?keywords=heat+gun&pd_rd_i=B004Q04X44&pd_rd_r=651bcf58-7c1f-498a-933d-99cb572b60fe&pd_rd_w=Vaziu&pd_rd_wg=BvNA8&pf_rd_p=1cb3f32a-ccfd-479b-8a13-b22f56c942c6&pf_rd_r=QSNPEVHGWEQ7VQY1K6X2&psc=1&qid=1574351537
A lot less $$$ than a heated barn.

jmcquown

Nov 21, 2019, 11:19:20 AM11/21/19
You do some very nice looking woodwork. :)

Jill

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Nov 21, 2019, 11:30:54 AM11/21/19
On Thursday, November 21, 2019 at 6:57:14 AM UTC-6, lucreti...@fl.it wrote:

> This past year seems to have been really bad for junk mail from
> charities. I do not want it, I have sent the envelopes back marking
> 'return to sender' and on the back of the envelopes have written 'Pls
> do not use our donations on this ridiculous stuff'.

A good way to stop that junk is open it and if they have a postage paid
return envelope use it to return their request to them. First, mark out
your name and address with something like a yellow highlighter so they
can still read it. Then on the request write "Please remove my name
_and_ address from your mailing list." I find a red ink pen does well
to get their attention.

It pretty much guarantees you'll be deleted from their list as they got
no money from you plus they had to pay the postage for the removal
request.

jmcquown

Nov 21, 2019, 11:45:27 AM11/21/19
On 11/20/2019 10:47 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2019-11-20 10:32 p.m., jmcquown wrote:
>> On 11/19/2019 10:05 AM, Gary wrote:
>>> I got a small xmas gift magazine in Sundays newspaper.
>>> All are unique gifts. Some cool and quite reasonable.
>>> Other's are Neiman Marcus quality.
>>>
>>> One that caught my eye this morning was a hand held
>>> hair dryer made by Dyson. It's their deluxe one -
>>> only $399.99 each.  WTH?
>>>

>> I've started getting Christmas catalogs in the mail even though I do
>> not order Christmas gifts for anyone.  Sharper Image.  Why?  I expect
>> any day now to get a catalog that suggests I donate money to buy
>> livestock for families in South American Countries.  Not kidding, I do
>> get one of those every year.  Sorry, I'm not helping people raise
>> guinea pigs for food.
>
> You must have made a donation to something and got your name on a sucker
> list that they sold to other organizations.

It doesn't take a donation to get your name on a mailing list.

Jill

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Nov 21, 2019, 12:00:49 PM11/21/19
That's the dang truth! Banks are one of the worst offenders for selling
your name and address to direct mailers. I found out I had to go into my
privacy settings and either call the bank or uncheck that box about sharing
my information with everybody who hoped to make a buck off of me. It was so
long ago that I forgot which method I used. But the junk mail slacked off
pretty quickly when I did my request.

penm...@aol.com

Nov 21, 2019, 12:03:05 PM11/21/19
It's amazing how many people burn toxic materials, even in home
fireplaces; treated/painted lumber.
We live way out in the boonies but we are not permitted to burn
outdoors without a special permit:
http://www.dec.ny.gov/chemical/58519.html

We purchased a micro-cut shreder from Amazon, works very well. Even
though it says it can handle staples we still remove them. It's rated
for 12 sheets of paper but we do no more than 6. And once a month I
lube the cutters by sending a sheet of paper through that I sprinkle
with Three in 0ne oil.
https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-12-Sheet-High-Security-Micro-Cut-Shredder/dp/B00D7H8XB6/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1BZ3J0A96Z65A&keywords=micro+shredders+for+home+office&qid=1574354473&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&sprefix=micro+shredder%2Caps%2C165&sr=8-3
We get rid of the shreds by composting.

GM

Nov 21, 2019, 12:08:33 PM11/21/19
That's the way it should be...addicts' behaviours can be *very* disruptive, so they can choose to shape up to receive charity or continue their bad ways and forego the charity...

To do otherwise is *enabling* bad behaviours...

> > I stopped giving to the Food Bank here when I saw the CEO was pulling
> > in $141,000 per annum, well above the average NS salary. After that I
> > just put donations of food in the collector at the supermarket but
> > someone who put in some work at the Food Bank said not to waste my
> > money putting in treats like Cadburys Choc because it never reached
> > the needy, it was put to one side!
>
> The Food bank here is well run and the salaries very reasonable - I
> checked on the CRA site.

Don't forget to give to the local Salvation Army this holiday season, graham, they've a very good "SRI" (Social Return on Investment)...

--
Best
Greg

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Nov 21, 2019, 12:15:45 PM11/21/19
On Thursday, November 21, 2019 at 11:03:05 AM UTC-6, Sheldon wrote:

> We purchased a micro-cut shreder from Amazon, works very well. Even
> though it says it can handle staples we still remove them. It's rated
> for 12 sheets of paper but we do no more than 6. And once a month I
> lube the cutters by sending a sheet of paper through that I sprinkle
> with Three in 0ne oil.

I _lightly_ spray a sheet of paper that is to be shredded with WD-40 and
then send it through. I think mine also says up to 12 sheets but 4 is more
like the number of pieces I shred at once. Any heavy duty junk mail post-
cards go through by themselves.

> We get rid of the shreds by composting.

When the waste container that came with my shredder is full it gets dumped
into the once-a-month-collected recycling bin.

lucreti...@fl.it

Nov 21, 2019, 1:34:25 PM11/21/19
On Thu, 21 Nov 2019 09:47:00 -0500, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net>
wrote:
My daughter needs to look good every day (she the boss woman of her
office and the maritimes) and she says this makes getting ready for
work quicker, simpler and just vastly more comfortable than with her
old dryers.

Bruce

Nov 21, 2019, 1:38:51 PM11/21/19
I never even comb my hair. If it needs it, I get a haircut.

Bruce

Nov 21, 2019, 1:41:36 PM11/21/19
On Thu, 21 Nov 2019 09:08:26 -0800 (PST), GM
<gregorymorr...@gmail.com> wrote:

>graham wrote:
>
>> On 2019-11-21 5:56 a.m., lucreti...@fl.it wrote:
>> >
>> > This past year seems to have been really bad for junk mail from
>> > charities. I do not want it, I have sent the envelopes back marking
>> > 'return to sender' and on the back of the envelopes have written 'Pls
>> > do not use our donations on this ridiculous stuff'.
>> >
>> > Every charity that sent is off my list now, down to three, Canadian
>> > Wildlife Federation, Sally Army and best of all War Amps. Never found
>> > them wasting money.
>>
>> I won't give to the Sallies. They (and another christian charity) turn
>> away anyone under the influence of drink or drugs, even when it's -30C,
>> whereas the secular "doss house" never turns anyone away.
>

>That's the way it should be...addicts' behaviours can be *very* disruptive

So can yours, Diarrhea Man.

lucreti...@fl.it

Nov 21, 2019, 1:41:57 PM11/21/19
On Thu, 21 Nov 2019 08:34:06 -0700, graham <g.st...@shaw.ca> wrote:

>On 2019-11-21 5:56 a.m., lucreti...@fl.it wrote:
>> On Wed, 20 Nov 2019 22:03:08 -0700, graham <g.st...@shaw.ca> wrote:
>>

>> Every charity that sent is off my list now, down to three, Canadian
>> Wildlife Federation, Sally Army and best of all War Amps. Never found
>> them wasting money.
>
>I won't give to the Sallies. They (and another christian charity) turn
>away anyone under the influence of drink or drugs, even when it's -30C,
>whereas the secular "doss house" never turns anyone away.

It is an aspect I don't care for but apparently they are concerned for
the safety of others in the shelter if someone is high and I dislike
them preaching against LFBTQ (or whatever is the correct lettering!)

When David died I took all the stuff to them (it had been expensive)
things like handles you could add to cutlery to make them easier to
work with and all sorts of stuff from the medical assistance shop and
asked that they donate them to someone in equal need, rather than
putting them in the store at an advantageous price. He agreed to the
stipulation and I felt quite sure he would do as they said. I also
like that when I last checked, their head honcho was getting $45,000
pa.

>> I stopped giving to the Food Bank here when I saw the CEO was pulling
>> in $141,000 per annum, well above the average NS salary. After that I
>> just put donations of food in the collector at the supermarket but
>> someone who put in some work at the Food Bank said not to waste my
>> money putting in treats like Cadburys Choc because it never reached
>> the needy, it was put to one side!
>
>The Food bank here is well run and the salaries very reasonable - I
>checked on the CRA site.

Used to be here too before they amalgamated into a Maritime one and
she somehow talked them into that salary.

Bruce

Nov 21, 2019, 1:43:55 PM11/21/19
On Thu, 21 Nov 2019 11:19:13 -0500, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net>
wrote:
He does. He tries to make it as shiny as his skull.

GM

Nov 21, 2019, 2:10:43 PM11/21/19
lucreti...@fl.it wrote:

> On Thu, 21 Nov 2019 08:34:06 -0700, graham <g.st...@shaw.ca> wrote:
>
> >On 2019-11-21 5:56 a.m., lucreti...@fl.it wrote:
> >> On Wed, 20 Nov 2019 22:03:08 -0700, graham <g.st...@shaw.ca> wrote:
> >>

> >> Every charity that sent is off my list now, down to three, Canadian
> >> Wildlife Federation, Sally Army and best of all War Amps. Never found
> >> them wasting money.
> >
> >I won't give to the Sallies. They (and another christian charity) turn
> >away anyone under the influence of drink or drugs, even when it's -30C,
> >whereas the secular "doss house" never turns anyone away.
>
> It is an aspect I don't care for but apparently they are concerned for
> the safety of others in the shelter if someone is high

I've worked and volunteered in social services, it is a *must* that any worthwhile programme be a "sober" programme/agency/facility. The majority of homeless are mentally ill, and the majority suffer from substance abuse issues, e.g. "dual diagnosis", a *very* dangerous combination. One substance abuser can wreak squalid havoc with their disruptive/dangerous behaviours, so any decent programme will be a sober facility...if that is not enforced then the clients are simply being "enabled"...

and I dislike
> them preaching against LFBTQ (or whatever is the correct lettering!)

No longer true:

https://www.salvationarmyusa.org/usn/the-lgbtq-community-and-the-salvation-army/

"Because LGBTQ Americans living in poverty often experience unacceptable homophobia and transphobia, many become homeless.

A majority of homeless LGBTQ people end up on the streets before they turn 18, and one in four is homeless before turning 16.

The Salvation Army is committed to serving the LGBTQ community through:

Shelter:

Almost one-third of transgender people have been rejected from an emergency shelter. The Salvation Army created a dorm in Las Vegas to offer safety and shelter to this group, which is statistically more vulnerable to assault.

Job Training:

Despite progress toward hiring equality, LGBTQ Americans often lack access to educational resources, counseling services, and vocational training to help them obtain well-paying jobs. Our unique programs help individuals cultivate vital life skills needed for successful and stable careers.

Help with Substance Abuse:

According to the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, LGBTQ adults are more likely than their straight counterparts to abuse substances. The Salvation Army recognizes the need for all people, regardless of income, to have access to rehabilitation programs. Our LGBTQ-friendly programs provide housing, food, counseling, community, and employment as we work to treat the symptoms, and ultimately the root causes, of prolonged alcohol and drug dependence.

Food Insecurity:

More than a quarter of LGBTQ Americans are food insecure and rely on the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP). As one of the nation's largest providers of social services, we understand the importance of helping people maintain their dignity when looking for nutritious food by providing options.

Teenage Suicide:

LGBTQ youth contemplate suicide at almost three times the rate of heterosexual youth. With a presence in every zip code in the nation, we're committed to providing spiritual and emotional care to those in need regardless of race, gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation or gender identity...

Helping those in need is the heart of our mission.

We're motivated by the love of God to meet human needs in His name without discrimination.

We embrace people regardless of race, gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or gender identity.

Our hiring practices are open to all, and we provide the same benefits to opposite-sex and same-sex couples...

Questions & Answers:

The LGBT Community & The Salvation Army

Does The Salvation Army serve the LGBTQ Community?

Yes. Any person who walks through our doors will receive assistance based on their need and our capacity to help. Our mission is to the preach the Gospel of Jesus Christ and meet human need in His name without discrimination.

Does The Salvation Army provide shelter to transgender people?

Yes. When a transgender person seeks help from us, we serve them in the same manner as any other person seeking assistance. Too often, LGBTQ Americans experience unacceptable homophobia or transphobia when seeking shelter. The Salvation Army seeks to be a welcome, safe place for all men, women, and children.

Does The Salvation Army consider the sexual orientation or gender identity of an applicant in its hiring practices?

No. We embrace talented people regardless of race, gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation or gender identity. Our hiring practices are open to all.

Does The Salvation Army provide benefits to the spouses of employees in same-sex marriages?

Yes. We provide the same benefits to opposite-sex and same-sex couples.

Equal Opportunity Employment

The Salvation Army is an Equal Opportunity Employer and committed to providing a respectful environment for all applicants and employees that is free from unlawful discrimination or harassment based on age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, marital status, disability, citizenship, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or any other characteristic protected by law. Such equal opportunity for employment will apply to recruitment and hiring, training, promotion, salaries and other compensation, transfers and layoffs or termination.

Non-Discrimination in Programs and Services

In providing its programs and services, The Salvation Army is committed to accommodating all those in need without unlawful discrimination or harassment based on age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, marital status, disability, citizenship, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or any other characteristic in accordance with our capacity to help...."

> When David died I took all the stuff to them (it had been expensive)
> things like handles you could add to cutlery to make them easier to
> work with and all sorts of stuff from the medical assistance shop and
> asked that they donate them to someone in equal need, rather than
> putting them in the store at an advantageous price. He agreed to the
> stipulation and I felt quite sure he would do as they said. I also
> like that when I last checked, their head honcho was getting $45,000
> pa.

Very commendable...you made a wise choice, my dear :-)

I personally know at least a half - dozen folks who owe their lives to the Salvation Army...

--
Best
Greg

Dave Smith

Nov 21, 2019, 2:12:03 PM11/21/19
It is not easy to tell how efficient an organization is running based on
the information posted some of those government sites. I worked with a
local organization that provided riding lessons for physically and
mentally handicaps. I was really disappointed to see how poorly we were
rated. The board were all volunteers. The only one who was paid was hour
very hard working instructor, and she was getting only $25 per evening,
which was about three hours, and it had cost her quite a bit for the
certification. Our administration costs were high because it included
board four our 4 horses plus farrier and veterinary bills. We were
paying $400 per month per horse for 3 horses and the 4th was comped.
That is a pretty good rate for boarding when we had sole access to the
barn and arena for three plus hours three times a week. Then there was
the cost of tack. Another big expense was insurance. When you have
people with issues like that and riding big animals, the insurance is
pretty steep. Anyone looking at our administration costs would think it
was extremely wasteful.

graham

Nov 21, 2019, 2:34:36 PM11/21/19
Thanks! Just taking a break from working on what has turned into a
complicated piece.

graham

Nov 21, 2019, 2:35:25 PM11/21/19
Some would say my skull is dull:-)

Ed Pawlowski

Nov 21, 2019, 3:14:15 PM11/21/19
On 11/21/2019 1:41 PM, lucreti...@fl.it wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Nov 2019 08:34:06 -0700, graham <g.st...@shaw.ca> wrote:
>
>> On 2019-11-21 5:56 a.m., lucreti...@fl.it wrote:
>>> On Wed, 20 Nov 2019 22:03:08 -0700, graham <g.st...@shaw.ca> wrote:
>>>

>>> Every charity that sent is off my list now, down to three, Canadian
>>> Wildlife Federation, Sally Army and best of all War Amps. Never found
>>> them wasting money.
>>
>> I won't give to the Sallies. They (and another christian charity) turn
>> away anyone under the influence of drink or drugs, even when it's -30C,
>> whereas the secular "doss house" never turns anyone away.
>
> It is an aspect I don't care for but apparently they are concerned for
> the safety of others in the shelter if someone is high and I dislike
> them preaching against LFBTQ (or whatever is the correct lettering!)
>
> When David died I took all the stuff to them (it had been expensive)
> things like handles you could add to cutlery to make them easier to
> work with and all sorts of stuff from the medical assistance shop and
> asked that they donate them to someone in equal need, rather than
> putting them in the store at an advantageous price. He agreed to the
> stipulation and I felt quite sure he would do as they said. I also
> like that when I last checked, their head honcho was getting $45,000
> pa.

Many US servicemen think highly of them too. I know a few guys that got
some help from them.

lucreti...@fl.it

Nov 21, 2019, 5:54:30 PM11/21/19
I am glad to know they have shifted their judgement, now happier than
ever to give to them. They and War Amps are my faves. The latter
because they do so much for children who lose a limb, it can happen,
and it's nice to see a little girl who lost the lower part of her arm
wearing a limb with watch and tattoo etc that any little kid would
like. Our healthcare system will provide them with a basic limb free
but the War Amps go one further and get the nicest.

lucreti...@fl.it

Nov 21, 2019, 5:56:41 PM11/21/19
I saw an item yesterday on a man in NS who was doing wood work handles
for old fashioned shaving brushes which are all the fashion again! He
is amazed at how lucrative it has become!

Bruce

Nov 21, 2019, 6:01:30 PM11/21/19
On Thu, 21 Nov 2019 18:53:49 -0400, lucreti...@fl.it wrote:

>>I personally know at least a half - dozen folks who owe their lives to the Salvation Army...
>
>I am glad to know they have shifted their judgement, now happier than
>ever to give to them. They and War Amps are my faves. The latter
>because they do so much for children who lose a limb, it can happen,
>and it's nice to see a little girl who lost the lower part of her arm
>wearing a limb with watch and tattoo etc that any little kid would
>like. Our healthcare system will provide them with a basic limb free
>but the War Amps go one further and get the nicest.

I wonder if there's any truth to these rumours that keep popping up
about the Salvation Army:

https://libcom.org/library/starvation-army-twelve-reasons-reject-salvation-army

The fact that GM likes them, is a bad sign. I prefer non religious
charities. At least your not supporting a cult or a bunch of bigots.

jmcquown

Nov 21, 2019, 6:17:43 PM11/21/19
Horses aren't cheap to maintain, that's for sure.

Jill

jmcquown

Nov 21, 2019, 6:38:08 PM11/21/19
That's a bitch. I don't think it's my bank; could be lists culled from
public info such as property tax rolls.

I really don't get a lot of junk mail, except for this time of year.
Then I start getting all sorts of catalogs from companies I have *never*
done business with in any way, shape or form. They taper off after the
holidays.

Oddly, companies I do make occasional (online) purchases from don't send
me catalogs. Hey, I'm an existing customer! What if I was stumped and
really needed a hint about buying a Christmas gift? Nope, I don't get a
catalog. Go figure. ;)

Jill

Jill

Hank Rogers

Nov 21, 2019, 6:41:43 PM11/21/19
You could ask them directly, before you contribute. They are on the
internet ... they're here druce.

graham

Nov 21, 2019, 6:52:23 PM11/21/19
I occasionally make pens, paper knives, pepper mills and nutmeg grinders
but only for friends. I hate the idea of marketing especially as people
are reluctant to pay the full value of an item.

Hank Rogers

Nov 21, 2019, 6:52:56 PM11/21/19
jmcquown wrote:
> On 11/21/2019 2:13 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

>>> Used to be here too before they amalgamated into a Maritime one and
>>> she somehow talked them into that salary.
>>>

>> It is not easy to tell how efficient an organization is running
>> based on the information posted some of those government sites. I
>> worked with a local organization that provided riding lessons for
>> physically and mentally handicaps. I was really disappointed to
>> see how poorly we were rated. The board were all volunteers. The
>> only one who was paid was hour very hard working instructor, and
>> she was getting only $25 per evening, which was about three hours,
>> and it had cost her quite a bit for the certification.  Our
>> administration costs were high because it included board four our
>> 4 horses plus farrier and veterinary bills. We were paying $400
>> per month per horse for 3 horses and the 4th was comped. That is a
>> pretty good rate for boarding when we had sole access to the barn
>> and arena for three plus hours three times a week. Then there was
>> the cost of tack. Another big expense was insurance.  When you
>> have people with issues like that and riding big animals, theÂ
>> insurance is pretty steep.  Anyone looking at our administration
>> costs would think it was extremely wasteful.
>
> Horses aren't cheap to maintain, that's for sure.
>
> Jill

Especially in big cities. Country folks don't have near as many
expenses keeping a few animals. In a big city setting, it probably
costs $25000 per year to keep a horse or mule, maybe $4000 to keep a
hamster. Cats come in at $3000, including license fees.

Good news is that it cost nothing to keep all the rats in the city.

lucreti...@fl.it

Nov 21, 2019, 7:05:30 PM11/21/19
Normally I agree, followed a couple at a craft fair who when looking
at some lovely stained glass declared it over-priced. They moved on
and the next stall was selling the plastic equivalent, as in melt,
pour in form and let it set. They declared those 'just as good but
look how much cheaper' I suppose in the end, if they couldn't see the
difference, good luck to them :)

I guess the man in NS is doing a flourishing trade, they looked so
lovely one is tempted to buy even if not needing a shaving brush :)

A Moose in Love

Nov 21, 2019, 7:05:30 PM11/21/19
The horse on our tobacco farm was cared for the whole year. It only worked for about 6 weeks of the year during harvest. The rest of the time it hung around grazing.

lucreti...@fl.it

Nov 21, 2019, 7:07:33 PM11/21/19
On Fri, 22 Nov 2019 10:01:28 +1100, Bruce <br...@invalid.invalid>
wrote:
I see the item you point to is 2013 and authored by some not so nice
people, so on this, I will take GMs word they have updated those two
items that bothered me a bit.

Bruce

Nov 21, 2019, 7:16:40 PM11/21/19
Taking GM's word for something is a true leap of faith!

Hank Rogers

Nov 21, 2019, 7:47:37 PM11/21/19
A Moose in Love wrote:
> On Thursday, November 21, 2019 at 6:52:56 PM UTC-5, Hank Rogers wrote:
>> jmcquown wrote:

>>> Horses aren't cheap to maintain, that's for sure.
>>>
>>> Jill
>>
>> Especially in big cities. Country folks don't have near as many
>> expenses keeping a few animals. In a big city setting, it probably
>> costs $25000 per year to keep a horse or mule, maybe $4000 to keep a
>> hamster. Cats come in at $3000, including license fees.
>>
>> Good news is that it cost nothing to keep all the rats in the city.
>
> The horse on our tobacco farm was cared for the whole year. It only worked for about 6 weeks of the year during harvest. The rest of the time it hung around grazing.

My old mare is retired, but she would pull hard if I asked her. She
is over 30 years old, and I plan to keep her as best I can.

Casa de Masa

Nov 21, 2019, 8:03:51 PM11/21/19
penm...@aol.com Sheldon wrote on 11/21/2019 :
> My wife uses a hair dryer every day.

That Mexican hair is thick, eh?

Ed Pawlowski

Nov 21, 2019, 8:36:18 PM11/21/19
Damned lazy welfare horse. It should have been pulling the ice wagon or
milk wagon the rest of the year.

jmcquown

Nov 21, 2019, 8:43:29 PM11/21/19
And delivered butter, too!

Jill

graham

Nov 21, 2019, 8:48:20 PM11/21/19
Why? He was just helping Mooseman produce a carcinogen!!!!

Hank Rogers

Nov 21, 2019, 9:13:34 PM11/21/19
Oh no, she ain't just a regular ole mexican. She's an 80 year old
mayan mexican, 100%, they are special, honest ... ask Popeye.

Hank Rogers

Nov 21, 2019, 9:25:07 PM11/21/19
graham wrote:
> On 2019-11-21 6:36 p.m., Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> On 11/21/2019 7:05 PM, A Moose in Love wrote:

>>> The horse on our tobacco farm was cared for the whole year.  It
>>> only worked for about 6 weeks of the year during harvest.  The
>>> rest of the time it hung around grazing.
>>>

>> Damned lazy welfare horse.  It should have been pulling the ice
>> wagon or milk wagon the rest of the year.
>
> Why? He was just helping Mooseman produce a carcinogen!!!!

And neither whined!

Casa de Masa

Nov 21, 2019, 9:25:32 PM11/21/19
It happens that Hank Rogers formulated :
Bust out the leaf blower!

Jinx the Minx

Nov 21, 2019, 10:14:10 PM11/21/19
Dave Smith <adavid...@sympatico.ca> wrote:
> On 2019-11-21 9:31 a.m., Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> On 11/21/2019 3:28 AM, Jinx the Minx wrote:
>
>>> I have that dryer! Don’t knock it til you’ve tried it. I love mine so
>>> much
>>> I won’t even travel without it.
>>>

>> I'm sure it is good, but what does it do that makes it better than a $30
>> or $50?  I tend to by the top of the line appliances, car model, and
>> such but I'm missing the dryer deal.
>
> It dries their hair a couple seconds faster.

It dries mine twice as fast. If I had man hair, that might equate to only a
few seconds, but alas, I’m not a man.

Jinx the Minx

Nov 21, 2019, 10:28:20 PM11/21/19
<lucreti...@fl.it> wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Nov 2019 09:47:00 -0500, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net>
> wrote:

>>> It dries their hair a couple seconds faster.
>>
>> It may be great for people who spend a lot of time styling their hair
>> using a blow dryer. I'm not one of those people. My hair is long and
>> fairly straight. It dries very fast all by itself. :)
>>
>> Jill
>
> My daughter needs to look good every day (she the boss woman of her
> office and the maritimes) and she says this makes getting ready for
> work quicker, simpler and just vastly more comfortable than with her
> old dryers.

Agreed 100%. Not to mention, it’s far lighter than all my other hair dryers
which reduces my hand fatigue, and the control switches aren’t on the
handle, thus, I’m not constantly bumping them to the wrong setting 50 times
before I’m done. If I weren’t a professional by day, I probably wouldn’t
care so much about my hair, but for me, it’s kinda important to not look
like I just rolled off a park bench and into work.

Dave Smith

Nov 21, 2019, 10:49:25 PM11/21/19
On 2019-11-21 10:28 p.m., Jinx the Minx wrote:
> <lucreti...@fl.it> wrote:

>> My daughter needs to look good every day (she the boss woman of her
>> office and the maritimes) and she says this makes getting ready for
>> work quicker, simpler and just vastly more comfortable than with her
>> old dryers.
>>

> Agreed 100%. Not to mention, it’s far lighter than all my other hair dryers
> which reduces my hand fatigue,

Out of curiosity... Does the power cause problems for your hand? I had
an electric leaf blower that was heavy, but comfortable enough to use.
When it died I replaced it with a Toro blower that was smaller and
lighter, but it was about twice as powerful, and I found it harder to
manage.

Bruce

Nov 21, 2019, 10:57:17 PM11/21/19
I wouldn't have thought you were the kind of man who needed a hair
blower, Davey.

Hank Rogers

Nov 21, 2019, 11:02:28 PM11/21/19
Bruce wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Nov 2019 22:49:20 -0500, Dave Smith
> <adavid...@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>>> Agreed 100%. Not to mention, it’s far lighter than all my other hair dryers
>>> which reduces my hand fatigue,
>>

>> Out of curiosity... Does the power cause problems for your hand? I had
>> an electric leaf blower that was heavy, but comfortable enough to use.
>> When it died I replaced it with a Toro blower that was smaller and
>> lighter, but it was about twice as powerful, and I found it harder to
>> manage.
>
> I wouldn't have thought you were the kind of man who needed a hair
> blower, Davey.

He needs it to blow dutch cockroaches off his ass.

Jinx the Minx

Nov 22, 2019, 2:36:35 PM11/22/19
No. It’s actually less wattage (1600w) than a typical dryer (1875w). And
because it’s physically smaller, it’s easier to maneuver at various styling
angles.

Leo

Nov 23, 2019, 11:45:19 PM11/23/19
On 2019 Nov 21, , Cindy Hamilton wrote
(in article<0a654802-0466-4004...@googlegroups.com>):

> We were also caught up in the famous Equifax breach, and the slightly
> less famous U.S. government Office of Personnel Management breach.

Take the credit monitoring option instead of the money with Equifax. It is
far more valuable to you. But you knew that. I’m not sure how it will work,
but I’m signed up.

leo

Ed Pawlowski

Nov 24, 2019, 12:01:09 AM11/24/19
My friend David has his ID stolen. Now he is just Dav.

Leo

Nov 24, 2019, 12:15:41 AM11/24/19
On 2019 Nov 23, , Ed Pawlowski wrote
(in article <k8oCF.78269$zz.6...@fx30.iad>):

> My friend David has his ID stolen. Now he is just Dav.

Honestly? My friends Enid and Arvid have the same problem! This is more
serious than I thought.

leo

Cindy Hamilton

Nov 24, 2019, 6:24:42 AM11/24/19
I did.

Cindy Hamilton

Terry Coombs

Nov 24, 2019, 7:43:10 AM11/24/19
On 11/20/2019 6:50 PM, cshenk wrote:
> Gary wrote:
>
>> Ed Pawlowski wrote:

>>> Thanks for the tip. I'm going to get one for drying my underarm
>>> hair.
>> I'm considering buying several for gifts. Who doesn't like
>> a hair dryer?
> I don't have one and when gifted with on, they go out on TrashNothing
> for folks who want one.

  We have a small hair dryer , I use it for stoking up the wood stove
when I let it burn too low .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old