O.T. --- New Laptop --- O.T.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Sep 30, 2020, 5:07:54 PM9/30/20
Monday I went with my sister-in-law to Costco and bought a new 17 inch HP Intel Core i5 laptop. 12 gigabytes of Ram, 1 terabyte of storage, 64 bit, Windows 10 Home. I mostly got it set up Monday night and still doing a bit of tweaking here and there. My first time having a backlit keyboard, I feel so 'uptown' hahahahaaa.

There was nothing wrong with the Asus and it will be a backup laptop as was that little Chromebook I had. The Chromebook is going to my nephew and he'll probably attempt to put Linux Puppy on it.

The 11 inch Chromebook was only good for checking e-mail and simple tasks as they notified me about two years ago I needed to consider upgrading. They were withdrawing support for it and just a few weeks ago I found out I could not access any banking information on it.

drawing a blank

Sep 30, 2020, 5:16:55 PM9/30/20
On 9/30/20 3:07 PM, itsjoan...@webtv.net wrote:
>They were withdrawing support for it and just a few weeks ago I found out I could not access any banking information on it.

Why?

100% bullcrap

Just as safe as windows or mac when using browser. Maybe safer. Use
dual authentication.

or get a checkbook and a pen

Taxed and Spent

Sep 30, 2020, 5:21:13 PM9/30/20
"They" never need a reason.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Sep 30, 2020, 5:46:08 PM9/30/20
Are you really this stupid or just trying to make us think you are an idiot?

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Sep 30, 2020, 5:50:57 PM9/30/20
I was rather surprised to not be able to access my banking information on THAT pc.
I thought for sure the banks' online system was down and tried it for over an hour
and gave up. A little while later I signed on to my account using my Windows laptop
and got right in. Then went and tried again on the ancient Chromebook and got that
notification "Services Temporarily Unavailable." Since then I tried it again over the
last few weeks and the outdated Chromebook would not let me access my bank
account. But am able to zip right in using the 'Winders' machine.

Jeßus

Sep 30, 2020, 6:02:37 PM9/30/20
Welcome to the usual B.S with Google... and Apple, for that matter. At
least now you've moved on from that crap.

drawing a blank

Sep 30, 2020, 6:15:32 PM9/30/20
The chromebook is not holding you back

503 Service Unavailable
503 Service Temporarily Unavailable
Http/1.1 Service Unavailable
HTTP Server Error 503
Service Unavailable - DNS Failure
503 Error
HTTP 503
HTTP Error 503
Error 503 Service Unavailable
Error 503 Backend fetch failed

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Sep 30, 2020, 6:16:04 PM9/30/20
On Wednesday, September 30, 2020 at 5:02:37 PM UTC-5, Jeßus wrote:

> Welcome to the usual B.S with Google... and Apple, for that matter. At
> least now you've moved on from that crap.

The little Chromebook was never my main computer. I bought it in 2013
right after they came out and it was used at work to access home e-mails
and such that could not be seen there. It was ok for that and banking
and such but it was just too small and quirky on some things. The Chromebook
did not like modifications I attempted and maybe they've improved but my
experience with it soured me on buying another one.

Chromebooks must be quite popular as all electronic and big box stores
seem to have an abundance of them.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Sep 30, 2020, 6:20:39 PM9/30/20
On Wednesday, September 30, 2020 at 5:15:32 PM UTC-5, drawing a blank wrote:

> The chromebook is not holding you back

You are correct. I no longer use it, it's been wiped clean of all information,
unplugged, and bundled up to be taken to the nephew. If it stayed around
here it would have been used as a doorstop and I don't need any doorstops.

Jeßus

Sep 30, 2020, 6:23:47 PM9/30/20
Yeah. That sort of product never appealed to me as it limits you in so
many ways, in particular personal choices.

I never liked Apple for this reason, but relented and gave them a
chance in the mid-2000s. I bought and upgraded a G4 to the hilt... the
hardware was fine (albeit overpriced), but OSX was just awful in my
opinion... seemed like I was in a continual fight with the operating
system to do what *I* wanted. I ended up installing Linux on the G4
instead and much preferred that to OSX.

drawing a blank

Sep 30, 2020, 6:24:33 PM9/30/20
over itsjoannotjoann is not supporting it anymore.

drawing a blank

Sep 30, 2020, 6:32:41 PM9/30/20
Like webtv ?

Good that you gave 'em a chance. They went on without you. With OS TEN
and a terminal you can fly.

Ed Pawlowski

Sep 30, 2020, 7:08:01 PM9/30/20
Banks have been adding more security. I wonder if they have something
not recognized in the Chromebook OS?

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Sep 30, 2020, 7:17:59 PM9/30/20
On Wednesday, September 30, 2020 at 6:08:01 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> Banks have been adding more security. I wonder if they have something
> not recognized in the Chromebook OS?

It's quite possible. This anomaly did not start until less than a month
ago but it perturbed me enough to keep trying. After being able to sign
on with the Windows laptop lickety-split I figured it must be the outdated
Chromebook.

drawing a blank

Sep 30, 2020, 7:41:07 PM9/30/20
503 is a server side error. Most like DNS. Has nothing to do with the
client OS.

Bruce

Sep 30, 2020, 7:42:10 PM9/30/20
On Wed, 30 Sep 2020 17:41:01 -0600, drawing a blank <bl...@comp.com>
wrote:
Whoosh, Ed?

Bryan Simmons

Sep 30, 2020, 7:46:58 PM9/30/20
I don't understand using laptops/notebooks in the home. We have a couple of them that we
use occasionally, but mostly in motels. A few years ago, I bought an old HP Z800 workstation
(vintage 2010), and packed it with an absurd amount of RAM. It's got a valid Win7 Pro license,
but I boot Linux Mint. I'll be dead before it becomes obsolete, and it's a thing of beauty.

--Bryan

Sqwertz

Sep 30, 2020, 8:51:57 PM9/30/20
What is the purpose of your whining and quoting a bunch of
irrelevant error messages, nymshifter?

-sw

Sqwertz

Sep 30, 2020, 8:57:02 PM9/30/20
Nobody ever said 503 - you dreamed that up. And if it were an HTTP
503 error, it would have nothing to do with DNS.

-sw

Xeno

Sep 30, 2020, 10:41:29 PM9/30/20
I have never had much of an issue doing things under Apple's OS X. As
you say, if you need to get serious, you just dive into Terminal and
you're operating with NetBSD Unix under the hood. All the flexibility
you could possibly want.

I recently purchased a laptop even though I really have little use for
one these days. It is a MacBook Air quadcore i5 with 500 Gig of SSD
-damn fast little jigger and more than a match for most of my desktops
these days. Well, except for the Mac Pro with its dual quadcore Xeons at
2.8 GHz and 32 Gig of RAM - takes a lot to beat that for power. The MB
Air will be there when I am out and about and the iPad won't cut the
mustard. They both live in the same satchel. Between the both I'll have
the *mobile me* well covered.

--

Xeno

First they ignore you,
Then they ridicule you,
Then they fight you,
Then you win.

Mahatma Ghandi

Xeno

Sep 30, 2020, 10:42:42 PM9/30/20
The old Chromebook is likely off the update radar by now. That might be
part of the issue.

Xeno

Sep 30, 2020, 10:43:47 PM9/30/20
It might be the server side *rejecting* the connection with the outdated
Chromebook.

Leo

Oct 1, 2020, 12:10:32 AM10/1/20
On 2020 Sep 30, , Jeßus wrote
(in article<m11anfdj4kchf409h...@j.net>):

> I never liked Apple for this reason, but relented and gave them a
> chance in the mid-2000s. I bought and upgraded a G4 to the hilt... the
> hardware was fine (albeit overpriced), but OSX was just awful in my
> opinion... seemed like I was in a continual fight with the operating
> system to do what *I* wanted. I ended up installing Linux on the G4
> instead and much preferred that to OSX.

Apple computers and OSX have come a long, long way from a G4 and some early
OSX version. I’ve been a Mac guy since 1985 and ran Linux on them when it
became available with MkLinux DR3. I dumped Linux when OS X Panther came out.
That may have been when I bought my first Apple computer with a Intel
processor. Now, Apple is dumping Intel with their own ARM processors, so
I’m going to wait to buy another Apple computer until that happens.
There’s never a dull moment, but the Apple OS user experience has been
remarkably stable, at least to me.

Cindy Hamilton

Oct 1, 2020, 6:07:41 AM10/1/20
My bank was very pissy for a while about me using Firefox instead of Internet Exploder
or Chrome. I complained and they relented.

Cindy Hamilton

Cindy Hamilton

Oct 1, 2020, 6:10:03 AM10/1/20
Some people like to sit on the sofa with the TV on and play games or surf the net. Or take
it to the kitchen and use it for recipes. I use my tablet for that; other people might prefer
a full keyboard and larger screen.

Cindy Hamilton

Gary

Oct 1, 2020, 8:09:20 AM10/1/20
Leo wrote:

> I've been a Mac guy since 1985

I've been a Big Mac guy since 1968. :-D

Dave Smith

Oct 1, 2020, 10:08:49 AM10/1/20
On 2020-10-01 6:09 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> Some people like to sit on the sofa with the TV on and play games or
> surf the net. Or take it to the kitchen and use it for recipes. I
> use my tablet for that; other people might prefer a full keyboard and
> larger screen.

I use my laptop a lot when watching movies. I multitask, doing emails,
crossword puzzles, reading news etc while watching TV. When watching
old movies I check out the casts. It's astounding to see how many of
those old time actors died young, usually lung cancer or heart attacks.
Carl Switzer, who played Alfalfa in the Our Gang movies was shot in a
dispute over a dog at the age of 31.

Ed Pawlowski

Oct 1, 2020, 10:58:27 AM10/1/20
On 10/1/2020 6:09 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>> I don't understand using laptops/notebooks in the home. We have a couple of them that we
>> use occasionally, but mostly in motels. A few years ago, I bought an old HP Z800 workstation
>> (vintage 2010), and packed it with an absurd amount of RAM. It's got a valid Win7 Pro license,
>> but I boot Linux Mint. I'll be dead before it becomes obsolete, and it's a thing of beauty.
>
> Some people like to sit on the sofa with the TV on and play games or surf the net. Or take
> it to the kitchen and use it for recipes. I use my tablet for that; other people might prefer
> a full keyboard and larger screen.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

I just gave away my wife's 17" laptop. She used it for sewing as well
as other stuff so portability was needed. It did not fit my needs.

OTOH, I have a 14" that sits nicely on my belly when I'm in the recliner
watching TV. A 17" is just to big for that. I also have my desktop with
large monitor where I do some more serious stuff like bank statements,
bill tracking, etc. Nice, but not used as much as my laptop.

Sheldon Martin

Oct 1, 2020, 12:00:28 PM10/1/20
I've been a Big Bosoms guy since I was born. ;)

Taxed and Spent

Oct 1, 2020, 12:02:54 PM10/1/20
Yes, but enough about your physique.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Oct 1, 2020, 12:22:05 PM10/1/20
On Wednesday, September 30, 2020 at 6:46:58 PM UTC-5, bryang...@gmail.com wrote:

> I don't understand using laptops/notebooks in the home. We have a couple of them that we
> use occasionally, but mostly in motels. A few years ago, I bought an old HP Z800 workstation
> (vintage 2010), and packed it with an absurd amount of RAM. It's got a valid Win7 Pro license,
> but I boot Linux Mint. I'll be dead before it becomes obsolete, and it's a thing of beauty.
>
> --Bryan

What would have me use if I don't use a laptop?

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Oct 1, 2020, 12:24:52 PM10/1/20
On Wednesday, September 30, 2020 at 9:42:42 PM UTC-5, Xeno wrote:

> The old Chromebook is likely off the update radar by now. That might be
> part of the issue.
>
> Xeno

It was off the update radar two years ago when they asked me to
consider upgrading. They stated they would no longer be supporting
that old 11 inch, now 7 years old Chromebook.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Oct 1, 2020, 12:38:08 PM10/1/20
On Thursday, October 1, 2020 at 9:08:49 AM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:

> On 2020-10-01 6:09 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>
> > Some people like to sit on the sofa with the TV on and play games or
> > surf the net. Or take it to the kitchen and use it for recipes. I
> > use my tablet for that; other people might prefer a full keyboard and
> > larger screen.
> >
> I use my laptop a lot when watching movies. I multitask, doing emails,
> crossword puzzles, reading news etc while watching TV.

Same here.

When I bought my first laptop in 2004 I absolutely had no room whatsoever
for a desktop. If I had opted for a desktop it would have had to reside on
the dining room table and that's not why I have that table. But a laptop table
suited my needs perfectly and I continue to use one to this day. After building
onto the back of my house there is room now to have a desktop but I still
prefer a laptop for the exact reasons you and Cindy both cited.

Hank Rogers

Oct 1, 2020, 1:23:15 PM10/1/20
From all those sugar tits yoose mammy shoved in yoose bawling face!

Dave Smith

Oct 1, 2020, 1:46:44 PM10/1/20
I have a laptop and a desktop. I much prefer to use the desktop. I have
it on a desk and have the router and speakers. There is a table next to
it or my printer /scanner. The desktop is handy. I can take it with me
when I travel and keep in touch with people via hotel wifi. It was also
handy when I was in the hospital. If I could have only one or the other
I would have to go for the desktop.

Bryan Simmons

Oct 1, 2020, 2:40:05 PM10/1/20
The differences between a Big Mac and a McDouble is a bit more
bun with some sesame seeds on it, a few cents worth of lettuce, and nasty
beatoff sauce instead of ketchup and mustard. Oh yeah, and the Big Mac is
more than twice the price.

--Bryan

Bryan Simmons

Oct 1, 2020, 2:43:53 PM10/1/20
A regular desktop, keyboard and monitor?

--Bryan

Bryan Simmons

Oct 1, 2020, 2:51:24 PM10/1/20
I'd like to take my desktop too, except that it weighs almost fifty pounds,
and the monitor is a 39", so for hotels I use the laptop.

--Bryan

dsi1

Oct 1, 2020, 3:28:52 PM10/1/20
As it goes, a desktop system is eminently portable - compared to a refrigerator or grand piano. OTOH:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVxFvjAhToA

Jeßus

Oct 1, 2020, 3:54:36 PM10/1/20
Some people have small homes... condos, apartments etc.

>We have a couple of them that we
>use occasionally, but mostly in motels. A few years ago, I bought an old HP Z800 workstation
>(vintage 2010), and packed it with an absurd amount of RAM. It's got a valid Win7 Pro license,
>but I boot Linux Mint. I'll be dead before it becomes obsolete, and it's a thing of beauty.

Are you planning on dying soon?

I prefer a PC when at home in Australia, or sometimes just the phone.
I have my laptop for when away from home in Aus and content with the
laptop at home in Thailand.

I did try a tablet, but after a couple of weeks sold it as it was
obviously too much of a compromise for me and I might as well just get
a laptop as the tablet isn't going to fit in my pocket anyway.

Jeßus

Oct 1, 2020, 3:58:04 PM10/1/20
I'm not sure what's more disgusting - that Alfalfa got involved in a
multi-species tryst, or that canines have access to firearms.

Jeßus

Oct 1, 2020, 4:02:28 PM10/1/20
On Wed, 30 Sep 2020 21:10:24 -0700, Leo <leobla...@sbcglobal.net>
wrote:
I personally dislike Apple's general philosophy and especially their
marketing. Not to mention being somewhat cult-like with the Steve Jobs
thing. Much prefer the freedom of not being locked into an arbitrary
and limited experience compared to generic PCs and other devices.

Jeßus

Oct 1, 2020, 4:03:37 PM10/1/20
On Thu, 01 Oct 2020 12:00:20 -0400, Sheldon Martin <penm...@aol.com>
wrote:
I'm partial to women's breasts, but whenever you comment on the same,
it really creeps me out...

Bryan Simmons

Oct 1, 2020, 4:03:53 PM10/1/20
This little fridge weighs almost exactly the same as my computer.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-2-6-cu-ft-mini-fridge-black/6145102.p?skuId=6145102

--Bryan

Bryan Simmons

Oct 1, 2020, 4:17:10 PM10/1/20
When Alfalfa joined the cast, the enterprise went downhill. The best years
were 1932-1934. I love this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teuBtnS8zh0

As soon as I post this, I'm going to watch it again.

--Bryan

Taxed and Spent

Oct 1, 2020, 4:31:07 PM10/1/20
Steve Jobs is gone, but the cult lives on.

A V.P. at Apple told a lady friend who was not too computer literate,
that if she bought an Apple she would not have to back up her data and
photos, because Apple disks never crashed.

I steer clear of all things Apple. Other than pie and cider.

Bryan Simmons

Oct 1, 2020, 4:35:35 PM10/1/20
They are pricey to begin with, then they continue to nickel and dime you,
but you do have to admit that the iPod Classic was a spectacular thing.

--Bryan

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Oct 1, 2020, 4:56:36 PM10/1/20
Why? My other laptop is a 15-inch model and this new one is a
17-inch model and both have full-size keyboards and corresponding
monitors. Why would I want to sit hunched over a desktop keyboard
when this one is on a laptop table. A table that can easily be set up
for lefties or right-handers.

https://i.postimg.cc/QdTq27r7/Laptop-Stand.jpg

But like Dave said, I can pull that laptop up to me while I'm lounging
on the couch and watching TV. I can check e-mail, visit these groups,
go to my bike group, play Mahjong Titans, pay a bill, etc. all the while
with my feet up.

Ed Pawlowski

Oct 1, 2020, 5:14:28 PM10/1/20
I like Apple pie.
My sister has a Mac that was given to her by her son-in-law. When I
visited recently I had to help her with a few things. There was a few
nice features but I still prefer a PC. Same with Android phones.

dsi1

Oct 1, 2020, 5:30:11 PM10/1/20
Awesome - a potable refrigerator is a wonderful idea!

I'll have to weigh my son's computer. The computer I'm using weights about 2 lbs. My new Lenovo laptop weights about 3 lbs. That's a little heavy for me but it would make a dandy replacement for a desktop system.

Graham

Oct 1, 2020, 5:35:52 PM10/1/20
I have a W-10 desktop with two 20" screens that are leftover from my
consulting days. For travel, I have a Dell 13" laptop.
Some years ago, I bought an ASUS tablet that all reports said was top
class. Bloody thing proved to be a useless piece of junk. I-Pad users
seem to have no problems.

Dave Smith

Oct 1, 2020, 5:57:08 PM10/1/20
On 2020-10-01 4:35 p.m., Bryan Simmons wrote:
> On Thursday, October 1, 2020 at 3:31:07 PM UTC-5, Taxed and Spent wrote:
>> On 10/1/2020 1:02 PM, Je�us wrote:

>> I steer clear of all things Apple. Other than pie and cider.
>
> They are pricey to begin with, then they continue to nickel and dime you,
> but you do have to admit that the iPod Classic was a spectacular thing.

Then there is the proprietary issue. With PCs there are wide range of
suppliers so a lot of add-ons are much cheaper.

Dave Smith

Oct 1, 2020, 6:06:12 PM10/1/20
On 2020-10-01 5:14 p.m., Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> I like Apple pie.
> My sister has a Mac that was given to her by her son-in-law.  When I
> visited recently I had to help her with a few things.  There was a few
> nice features but I still prefer a PC.  Same with Android phones.

I know a couple people who have Apple phones and love them, but they
don't do much with them/ Android works for me. I am on my third one. In
fact, I just got a new one two days ago. The young lady who looked after
me set it all up for me, transferring my data and apps. All I had to do
was to pair it with my car's Bluetooth and my home wifi.

dsi1

Oct 1, 2020, 6:31:19 PM10/1/20
I like to stay away from Apple products but I'll have to agree with you about the iPad. The product was so compelling that I ordered the first ones and received it on the day of its release. That was a remarkable logistics feat. I predicted that the iPad was going to change everything. As usual, I was right - mostly.

I found that old iPad stashed away recently. I had to order a new charging cable and adapter to charge it but I'm still amazed at how well that old thing works and how long it lasts on a charge.

Bryan Simmons

Oct 1, 2020, 8:59:08 PM10/1/20
http://www.hp.com/canada/products/landing/workstations/files/13278_na.pdf

It has an upgraded video card, solid state drives, and 96GB of RAM. I can boot either Mint Linux or
Win7 Pro. I maybe have $600 into it. The way it's configured, it would have been well over $10,000
in 2010-2011. It was the most expensive Windows workstation. Only Mac Pros (the ones they used
to make the Hollywood movies) were priced higher. I put in a graphics card that my old boss, who
games, had thrown in a box when he upgraded gave me for free. They sell for somewhere between
$100-$150 used these days, but the video is by far the weakest component.

I'm not bragging about my computer. It's not state of the art, and wouldn't be worth a shit for
gaming by today's standards, and I wasted money on putting in 96GB of RAM, when I had intended
to only put in 60 (I accidentally duplicate ordered). A $350-$400 graphics card would improve it
greatly, as would a kickass sound card and a BluRay drive. The thing is this. For about $1000, you
can buy and upgrade one of these (normal users who don't have 100+ browser tabs open don't need
more than 24GB of RAM), and unless you do graphics intense things, you'll have a better
workstation/desktop PC than you could buy new for twice the price. DDR4 isn't that much faster
than DDR3, except in graphics cards. It does lack a M.2 SSD slot, so it won't ever boot super fast,
but how often does one really need to reboot a desktop?

These machines were originally sold with Vista Pro, with downgrade rights to XP Pro, but 7 Pro is the
sweet spot. We boot Linux because my wife uses it for banking, and Win7 supposedly has
vulnerabilities, and I haven't figured out how to dual boot w/o removing the Windows SSD, as no
matter which slot I use, it will default to booting Windows. I think that all I would need is a USB thumb
drive configured to give me a boot choice, and there's a guy at work who could probably set me up
with that. There's only so much time, and I just spent some of it drinking beer and writing this post.

--Bryan

Gary

Oct 3, 2020, 8:00:37 AM10/3/20
Bryan Simmons wrote:

> I'd like to take my desktop too, except that
> it weighs almost fifty pounds,

lol

Jeßus

Oct 4, 2020, 6:41:16 PM10/4/20
My wife was an Apple fan, mainly for the brand name <rolls eyes>. I
think her last one was an iPhone 7, but I gave her my old Huawei P20
Pro and now she prefers Android, or at least Huaweis, for the over all
quality and performance of the phone and especially the camera.

>In fact, I just got a new one two days ago. The young lady who looked after
>me set it all up for me, transferring my data and apps. All I had to do
>was to pair it with my car's Bluetooth and my home wifi.

That's what I do, I find most apps and settings still work OK after
transferring from one phone to the other. My current phone is also a
Huawei but unsure what my next one will be, mainly due to most high
end phones now having curved screens, which I really don't like at
all. But one requirement is that it must have the best, or close to
the best camera. In no hurry for a new one at the moment though.

Ophelia

Oct 5, 2020, 4:24:12 PM10/5/20

"Gary" wrote in message news:5F75C70C...@att.net...

Leo wrote:

> I've been a Mac guy since 1985

I've been a Big Mac guy since 1968. :-D

====

Ok what does that mean?

Bryan Simmons

Oct 5, 2020, 6:08:36 PM10/5/20
The sandwich from McDonald's.

--Bryan

Gary

Oct 6, 2020, 8:55:43 AM10/6/20
Bryan Simmons wrote:

> Ophelia wrote:
> > "Gary" wrote:
> > Leo wrote:
> > >
> > > I've been a Mac guy since 1985
> > I've been a Big Mac guy since 1968. :-D
> > ====
> >
> > Ok what does that mean?
>
> The sandwich from McDonald's.

Yep. They added it to their menu in 1968.
I always did like those although they are a bit overpriced.

I haven't had one in close to 20 years now.
Two are on top of my list for next visit.
Also their plain sausage biscuits are good.
Don't know when that will be though. I still don't
trust covid take-out food from any restaurant.

Cindy Hamilton

Oct 6, 2020, 9:37:33 AM10/6/20
You're unnecessarily paranoid, especially about McDonald's, where
it's virtually untouched by human hands.

Just don't stick the wrapper up your nose.

I've been eating take-out through the entire pandemic. (OTOH, you
don't like restaurant food as much as I do.) Proper handling of the
packaging keeps me safe.

Cindy Hamilton

Gary

Oct 6, 2020, 11:16:14 AM10/6/20
Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> Gary wrote:
> > I haven't had one in close to 20 years now.
> > Two are on top of my list for next visit.
> > Also their plain sausage biscuits are good.
> > Don't know when that will be though. I still don't
> > trust covid take-out food from any restaurant.
>
> You're unnecessarily paranoid, especially about McDonald's, where
> it's virtually untouched by human hands.

That's not quite true. They have an open kitchen and I've
watched them assemble burgers of any kind. All by hand but
hopefully with hand coverings. (not always)

Still if a sick person doing that coughs, etc, it goes on
the food.

In low pay jobs, with no sick pay, employees will still
show up for work just so they don't lose a valuable day
of pay. I've worked with some.

As far as take-out food now, I'd trust a pizza. Literally
goes from oven to box. No touching, plus it's still hot
to kill cough germs.

But I don't order pizzas ever. Mine are frozen from grocery
store and enhanced, or homemade.

I probably do err on the side of caution. I still haven't
even gotten a well desired haircut.

A bit paranoid or not, what I do is working well.

Cindy Hamilton

Oct 6, 2020, 12:49:58 PM10/6/20
On Tuesday, October 6, 2020 at 11:16:14 AM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> >
> > Gary wrote:
> > > I haven't had one in close to 20 years now.
> > > Two are on top of my list for next visit.
> > > Also their plain sausage biscuits are good.
> > > Don't know when that will be though. I still don't
> > > trust covid take-out food from any restaurant.
> >
> > You're unnecessarily paranoid, especially about McDonald's, where
> > it's virtually untouched by human hands.
> That's not quite true. They have an open kitchen and I've
> watched them assemble burgers of any kind. All by hand but
> hopefully with hand coverings. (not always)

Our health department would be on them like white on rice for
touching ready-to-consume food with bare hands.

> Still if a sick person doing that coughs, etc, it goes on
> the food.

You can't get COVID-19 from eating food that's been coughed on.
You're more at risk from touching contaminated packaging and
then touching your face. And we all know how to fix that.

> In low pay jobs, with no sick pay, employees will still
> show up for work just so they don't lose a valuable day
> of pay. I've worked with some.
>
> As far as take-out food now, I'd trust a pizza. Literally
> goes from oven to box. No touching, plus it's still hot
> to kill cough germs.
>
> But I don't order pizzas ever. Mine are frozen from grocery
> store and enhanced, or homemade.
>
> I probably do err on the side of caution. I still haven't
> even gotten a well desired haircut.
>
> A bit paranoid or not, what I do is working well.

I don't do McDonald's, but I've had carryout from ethnic restaurants:
Korean, Japanese, Tibetan, Chinese, German (barely counts as
ethnic; it's been in business in Ann Arbor for 90 years). And
Jimmy John's, which is the only fast food I eat.

What I do is working well, I don't deprive myself of the food I want
to eat, and I help keep local restaurants in business and paying
their employees.

Cindy Hamilton

Bryan Simmons

Oct 6, 2020, 6:30:26 PM10/6/20
A guy haircut is really easy to do yourself.

--Bryan

Dave Smith

Oct 6, 2020, 6:44:35 PM10/6/20
I have been cutting my own hair for decades. My wife likes the cuts I
give myself better than those I get at a barber shop.

Bryan Simmons

Oct 6, 2020, 7:46:55 PM10/6/20
Their sausage biscuits are decent. Their sausage used to be better.
About 15 years ago, they changed it. Still, a decent biscuit with a
piece of sausage for $1 is a good thing. There have even been a few
times where I went through the drive thru and got one, and brought it
home and fried an over easy egg to add to it.

Tonight's dinner was bacon, fried potatoes, eggs (scrambled for my
wife and son, and lightly basted for me) and sliced avocado.

The CDCaP has released revised Covid info, stuff anyone who pays
close attention has known for a few months. You are very unlikely to
contract it from food prepared by an infected person. You are also
unlikely to get it from contaminated surfaces. It is spread through
the air. It is spread by pieces of garbage who do not cover their faces
in public. By late March, and certainly by tax day, the Federal
government should have thrown every possible resource into domestic
production of N95 and N99 respirators. A well fitted N99 is *extremely*
protective to both the wearer and everyone else. A well fitted N95 is
very protective to both the wearer and everyone else.

If everyone were to wear at least an N95 in the presence of anyone
outside their household, transmission would drop dramatically.

If every fucking person were to wear at least an N95 in the presence of
anyone outside their household, transmission would drop dramatically.

Wearing a mask with one's nose uncovered is like a dude wearing pants
with his dick hanging out, and from a public health perspective, way,
way worse.

--Bryan

Sheldon Martin

Oct 6, 2020, 8:05:07 PM10/6/20
I get a nice precision haircut every 3 months at the salon in town,
costs me $15 plus a $5 tip. I tried cutting my hair and my wife said
I looked like a freak and refused to be seen with me. I can afford
the $80 a year to look human. My wife pays a LOT more to do her hair
but it always looks good. And she's very happy with my trimming her
pubes once a month for free. Of course it's not free, I get paid in
trade, I get to try out my trim. I really don't care for a women with
a big bush, I prefer a smooth edible trim with a small landing strip.
My wife's 73 year birthday is soon, 10/8, I already bought what she
wanted, a nice cake and ice cream. Anyone says a 73 year old women
doesn't enjoy a good hard pounding and a night of oral sex is a liar.
I love that she's a squirter, she can squirt more than me, yum.

Bryan Simmons

Oct 6, 2020, 8:05:56 PM10/6/20
On Tuesday, October 6, 2020 at 11:49:58 AM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> You can't get COVID-19 from eating food that's been coughed on.

You *can*, but it's very unlikely.

> You're more at risk from touching contaminated packaging and
> then touching your face.

Even that is unlikely. Transmission is almost exclusively through
breathing in the virus. My workplace has horrible compliance with
masking and social distancing. Many of my coworkers, IMO,
deserve to die from Covid.

> Cindy Hamilton

--Bryan

Bryan Simmons

Oct 6, 2020, 8:13:10 PM10/6/20
I've paid for one haircut in the past 25 years, and I did so for a reason
that I won't share because it's complicated. Other guys should really
consider doing as you and I do, and not piss away money on haircuts.
It's easy, right?

--Bryan

Graham

Oct 6, 2020, 8:50:52 PM10/6/20
The last cut I paid for was before the shutdown and I felt that I was
"ripped off". I bought a clipper set with all the plastic guards that
determine length and use the #3. Three minutes is all it takes and I've
already paid for the clipper in savings. It helps that I'm bald, I suppose.
I wish that I'd started this years ago.

Ed Pawlowski

Oct 6, 2020, 11:47:24 PM10/6/20
On 10/6/2020 8:50 PM, Graham wrote:

>>> A guy haircut is really easy to do yourself.
>>>
>> I have been cutting my own hair for decades. My wife likes the cuts I
>> give myself better than those I get at a barber shop.
>
> The last cut I paid for was before the shutdown and I felt that I was
> "ripped off". I bought a clipper set with all the plastic guards that
> determine length and use the #3. Three minutes is all it takes and I've
> already paid for the clipper in savings. It helps that I'm bald, I suppose.
> I wish that I'd started this years ago.

Been doing that for about 25 years. Nothing on top to cut, just the
sides and back. Zip around about once week before a shower.

Hair is over rated.

Gary

Oct 7, 2020, 7:19:21 AM10/7/20
Bryan Simmons wrote:

> The CDCaP has released revised Covid info, stuff anyone who pays
> close attention has known for a few months. You are very unlikely to
> contract it from food prepared by an infected person. You are also
> unlikely to get it from contaminated surfaces. It is spread through
> the air.

The CDC is constantly updating their advice. Now, 6 feet
distance is not enough. Next month they'll say not to
trust prepared food. ;0

> If everyone were to wear at least an N95 in the presence of anyone
> outside their household, transmission would drop dramatically.

That's what I have and use around anyone.
https://www.hostpic.org/images/2006031558400088.jpg

Note: I've never seen or heard of a N99 mask. Those must
be the hospital grade masks.

> Wearing a mask with one's nose uncovered is like a dude wearing pants
> with his dick hanging out,

LOL!

Gary

Oct 7, 2020, 7:20:53 AM10/7/20
Bryan Simmons wrote:

> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> > You can't get COVID-19 from eating food that's been coughed on.
>
> You *can*, but it's very unlikely.
>
> > You're more at risk from touching contaminated packaging and
> > then touching your face.
>
> Even that is unlikely. Transmission is almost exclusively through
> breathing in the virus.

Nothing like RFC medical advice. I think I'll stick to my own
plan. I didn't need Virginia's governor or Trump to tell me
I should wear a mask or don't touch my face.

Gary

Oct 7, 2020, 9:51:21 AM10/7/20
Hope I got all the attributions right

Graham wrote:
> The last cut I paid for was before the shutdown and I felt that I was
> "ripped off". I bought a clipper set with all the plastic guards that
> determine length and use the #3. Three minutes is all it takes and I've
> already paid for the clipper in savings. It helps that I'm bald, I suppose.
> I wish that I'd started this years ago.

Thanks for the input fellows. I do have a clipper set with all
the plastic guards but have never done this myself.
I'm a "electric clipper virgin" and a bit scary to attempt
this myself without no backup person to fix things.

Might wait until my daughter comes for a visit and can
fix things. I can buy 2 weeks of groceries beforehand so
I can stay indoors until the hair grows out a bit if I
screw it up. haha

Then cut it myself the day before and she can fix it
up if necessary.

This one has 6 plastic guards that determine length.
Longest (#6) is only 3/4". I would prefer a 1" or
even a bit longer.

Oh well. It does annoy me. Shoulder length or a bit
longer now. Something has to change very soon. ;o

It's been about 13 months now since my last haircut.

Cindy Hamilton

Oct 7, 2020, 1:12:32 PM10/7/20
It's just hair. Use the 3/4" guard and it'll be grown out to an inch
within a few weeks. I don't know what kind of style you favor, but
I think 1" (or 3/4") all over would look a little odd. Like a bowl haircut.

If you screw it up, use the 1/4" guard and allow more time for
it to grow out.

Nobody cares what your hair looks like anyway. As long as it's
clean.

Cindy Hamilton

dsi1

Oct 7, 2020, 1:55:53 PM10/7/20
On Wednesday, October 7, 2020 at 3:51:21 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:
> Hope I got all the attributions right

Just trim a little off the top.

dsi1

Oct 7, 2020, 5:34:48 PM10/7/20
I used to buy a sausage biscuit and a hash brown at McDonald's. I'd eat the sausage on top of the hash brown with some ketchup. I'd eat the biscuit with some free strawberry jam. That was a pretty good breakfast and it was dirt cheap.

On this rock, we can get Spam with rice and eggs. We can even get Spam with Portuguese sausage. That costs over 6 bucks! If McDonald's would just put a little kim chee on the side, that would be just perfect.

Gary

Oct 8, 2020, 6:39:31 AM10/8/20
Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> I don't know what kind of style you favor, but
> I think 1" (or 3/4") all over would look a little odd.
> Like a bowl haircut.

Even worse than a bowl haircut. More like an overgrown
crewcut. arrgghhh.

That's not me so I don't think this electric clipper is the
answer. Probably best to go to the barber and hope my favorite
lady is still working there. She's been cutting my hair for
many years and knows just what I want.

Here's what I like and even like it after growing longer for
another 4 months. After 4 months, time for another haircut.
Uncombed and scruffy (like Boris Johnson), it will cover
much of my forehead.

This a pic of me from 2009 at my daughter's wedding just
starting to walk her down the aisle. The haircut
is only one week old. If you can zoom in, it's more like
2-3 inches on top but then tapers down shorter as it
gets towards the bottom.

https://www.hostpic.org/images/2010081519410092.jpg

> If you screw it up, use the 1/4" guard and allow more time for
> it to grow out.

oh hell no...not that short ever.

> Nobody cares what your hair looks like

I do. The annoying long hair is better than a screwed
up short haircut.

Cindy Hamilton

Oct 8, 2020, 8:42:44 AM10/8/20
I see we differ on the subject of haircuts. I've bee going around with
a "weedwacker special" since May. Some mousse nails it down and
hides the worst problems. Or, at least, nobody's mentioned my haircut.
Since I work with engineers, I probably could alter my appearance quite
a bit before anybody noticed.

Cindy H amilton