BRAG -- unusual and uncommon book I found today.

hollowayd

Jul 6, 2002, 9:58:06 PM7/6/02
I have read with envy of everybody elses finds on eBay or the web or
the local bookstore. I finally had a chance to spend a few hours
hunting today and turned up an item I think is pretty unusual, and
maybe even valuable.

The book is titled SPECIAL ATTACK FLOTILLA : BUSHIDO IN THE WAR OF
GREATER EAST ASIA, and was published by the Japan Times in 1942. It
is a memorial volume to nine sailors (submariners actually) in the
Japanese Navy who never returned from the attack on Pearl Harbor. I
have to admit that I am puzzled as to why this was published in
ENGLISH in TOKYO in 1942! No copies on ABE or addall, and it doesn't
show up on a google search. This one looks pretty intriguing.

I'm willing to listen to any theories about why this is not in
Japanese, or to hear from anyone with info on this book.

David

David Holloway, Bookseller

Theo Paijmans

Jul 6, 2002, 10:33:51 PM7/6/02
Well,

the same reason why those Communist books are also printed in English.
What's the use of a li'll braggin'if your foe doesn't understand a word
you're saying?

Best,

Theo

Tim Doyle

Jul 7, 2002, 12:36:40 AM7/7/02
Hi David -
This does sound like an interesting title, and I suspect it was printed
in English for propaganda purposes. Very few copies may have actually
survived the war years, with anti-Japanese sentiment running so high in the
US and elsewhere during that time.
On a completely different tack, I also had a rather unique find today.
A stated first hardback edition of Barbara Bush's "C. Fred's Story" with
ink stamp paw print "signature" of C. Fred, also inscribed, signed and dated
(October 1985) by Barbara Bush in blue ink, and signed by George Bush in
black ink. Only one Barbara Bush-signed copy listed on ABE, and none with
the former president's signature - which leads me to believe that these are
genuine signatures, and not auto-penned or signed by a secretary (or there
would be more floating around out there). Found in with the kiddie books at
a local Salvation Army.
Interestingly, the description of the signed copy on ABE alludes to a
limited numbered run of 500 signed by the former First Lady and by C. Fred,
and none of the other nine unsigned copies on ABE mention the pawprint
"signature" - but mine does not have a limitation number anywhere that I
have found, leading me to believe it was a regular trade edition that the
owner somehow had signed. If I could figure out who Herbert H. Brake is (or
was), maybe this could upgrade to an association or presentation copy.

Regards, Tim

Tim Doyle
Bayside Books

hollowayd <drhb...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

jerry morris

Jul 7, 2002, 12:10:43 PM7/7/02
David,

I have a book by the other submariner, P.O.W. No. 1, Ensign Kazuo
Sakamaki, the only survivor of the ten-man Special Attack Force: "I
Attacked Pearl Harbor", Association Press, New York, 1949.

Here's a link which gives some info on Ensign Sakamaki:

http://sandysq.gcinet.net/uss_salt_lake_city_ca25/prisoner.htm

Jerry Morris
drhb...@yahoo.com (hollowayd)

www.MoisLibrary.com or