what do you bring on a long ride?

Catherine D. Kerr

Oct 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/8/98
I am working on a book that would be a reference for cyclists. It will
include a chapter on what various people consider essential to bring along
on a ride. What is it you wouldn't leave home without? (The more ingenious
or unusual, the better; e.g. a Power Bar or a bottle of water is obvious.)

If I use your idea, you will receive credit in the book and a copy when it
is in print. In case of duplicates, the first received will count.

Thanks,
Cathy
Freewheeling Press
ck...@voicenet.com
On the Web at BIKE NEW HOPE http://www.voicenet.com/~ckerr
Publisher of "The Back Roads Bike Book" and
"Back Roads Bicycling in Bucks County, Pa."

Kenneth Anderson

Oct 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/8/98
I tape a spoke or 2 to my frame (on the bottom tube of the dropout). That
way if I break a spoke on the side opposite the COG(this is usally the side
that breaks) I am not SOL! I also carry a spoke wrench of course. This
has SAVED me on more that one occasion. I just picked up a special spoke
made of a flexible string like material that I have not tried yet, but I am
ready if I do break one on the cog side. Will you tell me about your book
when it gets published?

Of course a hankerchief or scarf is key, when sunscreen comes off of your
forehead from sweat it can double as a sweatband or towel. Of course it
can come in handy if you need to venture off to emergency #2 as well.(dont
use it after that though!)

Catherine D. Kerr <ck...@voicenet.com> wrote in article
<Pw6T1.338$wV1.1...@news2.voicenet.com>...

. nospam hp . com

Oct 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/8/98

I always try to carry ID on me so that if I am nailed by a car or go down on my own at least they will know who to notify. 8-)

--
"All opinions expressed are my own and not my employers"

Jobst Brandt

Oct 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/8/98
Catherine D. Kerr writes:

> I am working on a book that would be a reference for cyclists. It
> will include a chapter on what various people consider essential to
> bring along on a ride. What is it you wouldn't leave home without?
> (The more ingenious or unusual, the better; e.g. a Power Bar or a
> bottle of water is obvious.)

I have a list that I use when preparing for a tour without assistance
such as a two day tour over the Sierra Nevada or a 30 day tour in the
Alps. The items are those that one either needs repeatedly or needs
immediately when the occasion occurs. Both types are ones that are
either wasteful to purchase repeatedly or cannot be purchased at the
time of their need. Not all items are needed in all seasons.

Bicycle Tour Checklist.
-----------------------
CLOTHING:

Cycling shorts and Jersey (2ea)
Socks (2pr)
Undershorts
Undershirts
Cycling shoes
Sweater
Cold weather gloves
Slacks and shirt
Rain cape or waterproof parka shell (with hood)
Cycling cap with visor (for sunburn protection)
Helmet
Sun glasses

MECHANICAL:

Pump
Spare tire and tube
Patch kit
Tire levers
Spokes w. nipples (2 of each length)
Spoke wrench
Freewheel remover for your specific freewheel
Cone wrenches (pair)
T-wrench, L-wrench for derailleurs etc.
Chain tool
Screwdriver (pencil size)
6 inch adjustable wrench
Rear axle (for non cassette hub)

SUNDRIES:

Passport (if necessary)
Address book
Money (cash and travelers checks)
ATM (Bancomat) and VISA/MC card(s)
Camera (and accessories)
Film for entire trip
Maps
Tooth brush
Comb
Nail clipper
Pen
Shaver
Pocket Knife
Spoon
Salve, sun lotion, chap stick
Plastic produce bags (4+)
Tape, white adhesive or duct tape
Can opener
Matches (or lighter)

TOOLS required to assemble bike at point of departure

Crank extractor
Crank bolt wrench
Spare crank bolt (in case one breaks on assembly)

Jobst Brandt <jbr...@hpl.hp.com>

Erhard Kraus

Oct 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/8/98
to Catherine D. Kerr
I have traveled for two months in South America and written down my
packing list, suggested changes and other advice on

http://www.yip.org/~erhard/bikeadvi.htm

Maybe it's useful.

Cheers,
Erhard

Catherine D. Kerr wrote:

> I am working on a book that would be a reference for cyclists. It will
> include a chapter on what various people consider essential to bring along
> on a ride. What is it you wouldn't leave home without? (The more ingenious
> or unusual, the better; e.g. a Power Bar or a bottle of water is obvious.)

vcard.vcf

James L. Mayer

Oct 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/8/98
I like to have (in addition to the tools, water type neccessities) a
camera, usually one of the cheapie disposasble types and a phone. One
for the good things that happen and one for the other times.

Jim Mayer

Michael Moyles

Oct 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/9/98

Catherine D. Kerr <ck...@voicenet.com> wrote in article
<Pw6T1.338$wV1.1...@news2.voicenet.com>...

> I am working on a book that would be a reference for cyclists. It will
> include a chapter on what various people consider essential to bring
along
> on a ride. What is it you wouldn't leave home without? (The more
ingenious
> or unusual, the better; e.g. a Power Bar or a bottle of water is
obvious.)

> If I use your idea, you will receive credit in the book and a copy when
it
> is in print. In case of duplicates, the first received will count.
>
> Thanks,
> Cathy

My favorite rides are long day rides - well beyond assisstance from local
bike shops or an easy ride home. Over the years a few nonstandard repair
kit items have earned there way onboard after various incidents:
1. spare crank bolt - after a hilly 15Km one-legged ride.
2 small hex wrench that fits the spare bolt for my SPD shoes - If you lose
one you're trapped in the pedal.
3. small 5ml tube of chain oil - after losing all lubrication during a long
thunder storm that was streaming sand across the road.
4. spare folding tire - have badly ripped 2 sidewalls in 20 years
5. small container of bug repellent - nothing like a breakdown in
mosquito/blackfly season to induce insanity.

This may sound a bit extreme, but I hate throwing in the towel.

I also carry the usual stuff, a bike specific multitool, (CoolTool), patch
kit, levers, both driveside and non-driveside spokes, extractor.

Also carry a Reliable pump. I was on an after work ride with a group of
triathaletes when one person flatted. They tried two of their ultralight
minipumps before my ancient frame-fit pump did the job.

Mike Moyles
Truro, Nova Scotia
i...@ns.sympatico.ca

Richard Kaiser

Oct 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/9/98
Nobody mentioned a few cable ties! Its one of few spares I carry on by
road bike during training and century rides. On a previous bike
they allowed me to tie the shifting cable bracket back on the bike
so I could ride back to work (lunchtime ride).

If you run really high tire pressure (over 110 psi) you need a real
frame syle tire pump.
This and one spare tube (two during thorn season), a multitool,
tire patch kits (one glue type and one Parks glueless), phone/food
money, and tire levers. Oh yea, I did get the Chorus groupo so
I don't have many (actually, never have had) problems.

If its a solo/unsupported century then I also carry a bit of food in my
jersey pockets.

Richard Kaiser

Larry Johnson

Oct 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/9/98
Besides the obvious use, dental floss was handy for repairs to my
glasses, although I'd take the appropriate screwdriver and tiny screws
in the future.

On a two week trip in the Alps I used a pop-top Jandd pack, which
everything would have fit in. However, I put all the rain gear in a
mesh bag and strapped it on top of the Jandd with shock cord. That way
I never had to expose the dry clothes in the pack to rain when I
changed or to the wet clothes when I took them off. Worked great.

I also found some shock-cord clips with a built-in (what sailors call)
clam cleat...the length of the cord can be adjusted, made shorter when
I was wearing all the stuff in the mesh bag.

Finally, I used one long piece of shock cord, attached to the rack
with nylon ties. Since one end was permanently attached, it made
handling the shock cord much easier.

I can send a photo if you're interested.

Larry Johnson, CHA 970-879-5868
PO Box 880340 FAX: 970-879-5403
1136 Yampa Street Home: 970-879-1927
Steamboat Springs, CO 80488 http://www.sni.net/cha
Web/database interfacing - ODBC for Great Plains Accounting

Elizabeth A. Evans

Oct 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/9/98
> Catherine D. Kerr <ck...@voicenet.com> wrote in article
> <Pw6T1.338$wV1.1...@news2.voicenet.com>...
> > I am working on a book that would be a reference for cyclists. It will
> > include a chapter on what various people consider essential to bring
> along
> > on a ride. What is it you wouldn't leave home without? (The more
> ingenious
> > or unusual, the better; e.g. a Power Bar or a bottle of water is
> obvious.)

A bandana. Good for many things: soak it in water and wrap around your
neck on a hot day; clean wounds; blow your nose; wrap breakable
treasures you find unexpectedly. Just don't *combine* some of the
functions in the same bandana on the same ride. :-)

-- Libby Evans
ev...@unc.edu
http://www.unc.edu/~evans/homepage.html

Life goal: to bike in all 50 states. Done: AL, DE, FL, GA, IA, IL, MD, ME,
MS, NC, NH, NM, NY, SC, PA,
S. CA (kind of), TX, VA, VT,
WA, WV
1998 goal: none
1999 goal: Nova Scotia
(which doesn't quite
fit into the life goal,
but would be fun :-)),
and maybe--just barely
maybe--Hawaii

Terence Griffin

Oct 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/9/98
In article <Pw6T1.338$wV1.1...@news2.voicenet.com>,

Catherine D. Kerr <ck...@voicenet.com> wrote:
> I am working on a book that would be a reference for cyclists. It will
> include a chapter on what various people consider essential to bring along
> on a ride. What is it you wouldn't leave home without? (The more ingenious
> or unusual, the better; e.g. a Power Bar or a bottle of water is obvious.)
>
> If I use your idea, you will receive credit in the book and a copy when it
> is in print. In case of duplicates, the first received will count.

I carry a cell phone, my blood glucose meter (I have diabetes)
plenty of food, including dried mango, rasins (good potassium source)
granola bars and Canada mints (in case of a hypo). I also carry
a "wallet" (read: binder clip :) with my driver lic. med ID,
credit card and about $10 cash. Lip balm, contact drops, car or
house key (I leave all the other keys in the car or at home).

I have the usual tools, tube and pump. I also carry a chain tool
and a few spare links. For the first time in 5 years, I had the
opprotunity to use it :) A person on our ride broke his chain (he
was unhurt, thank God). I was so excited, I rode back a couple of
miles to fix his chain! Couldn't pass up that opprotunity :) I
also carry a kevlar replacement spoke, first-aide kit, a lenght
of old inner tube (good for rubber bands, as a tie-down or tire
boot).

That's about it!

Here's a tip for homemade sports drink: Morton make a low sodium
salt. It's about 50/50 potassium and sodium. I use about 1/16 th
of a teaspoon is some watered down lemonade.

- Tere "bulgee pockets" Griffin (terence...@nist.gov)

Eleanor MacMaster

Oct 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/9/98

I take a length of lt. cotton rope and some clips to dry clothes
on during the night. If they have not dried by morning, I use
the clips to attach them to my load so they dry as I ride.

I always take a couple of big safety pins -- they have been useful
in various -to secure drying clothes, to provide an emergency
fix for a broken zipper.

Teva sandals - they are great to change into at the end of
the day and are adaptable to any weather. They are indestructible.
Wear them with no socks, thin socks or wool socks -- walk
through mud, water, whatever. And they don't take up much
space in your packs.

I like to take one old pair of lt. cotton shorts and l pair og
(of) long cotton pants for those occasions when I want to
go somewhere in something other than cycling shorts - and to
change into at the end of the day. I only dothis on longish
tours.

A used paperback book so I have something to read in the
tent at night before I go to sleep -- for light I use a
detachable bike headlight (Cateye).
--
"Biker Chick"

TBGibb

Oct 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/9/98

In article <Pw6T1.338$wV1.1...@news2.voicenet.com>, "Catherine D. Kerr"
<ck...@voicenet.com> writes:

>I am working on a book that would be a reference for cyclists. It will
>include a chapter on what various people consider essential to bring along
>on a ride. What is it you wouldn't leave home without? (The more ingenious
>or unusual, the better; e.g. a Power Bar or a bottle of water is obvious.)

I have a small coil of leader wire (used for making the connection between hook
and line for salt water fishing) taped to the stiffener of on of my panniers.
It is a very strong and easily bent wire. I also have a Leatherman to work
with it.

Tom Gibb <TBG...@aol.com>

Ellen F. Mac Garrigle

Oct 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/9/98
FWIW, my seat bag has (besides tools and such):

A LONG piece of nylon cord, at least 15 ft (like the kind climbers use,
since I can get in bright neon colors so I don't lose it in the grass or
weeds on the side of the road). Good for a WIDE variety of uses.

A small bit of duct tape (you can build a tiny roll about 1/2" wide that
has about three feet of it).

A bandanna.

A SMALL bottle of saline drops (I wear contacts).

An LED flasher light (the 3" by 2" sort) even during the day, because
you never know when it will get dark. Same reason I carry the clear
insert for my sunglasses.

The free Allen wqrenches you get from Ikea or other furniture stores --
somehow they are easier to use than the ones that come with my tools,
probably because I don't worry about losing them.

Four tiny (6") bungee cords. Between them, the cord, and the bandanna,
I can carry just about anything without needing a rack on the back.
Ugly, but effective.

Chapstick.

Rubber bands.

Ziploc sandwich bags for important stuff like my computer.

Regular baggies (gallon size) for emergency feet converings in the rain.

Semper paratus...

Ellen

Catherine D. Kerr wrote:

> I am working on a book that would be a reference for cyclists. It will
> include a chapter on what various people consider essential to bring along
> on a ride. What is it you wouldn't leave home without? (The more ingenious
> or unusual, the better; e.g. a Power Bar or a bottle of water is obvious.)
>

> If I use your idea, you will receive credit in the book and a copy when it
> is in print. In case of duplicates, the first received will count.

Chuck Anderson

Oct 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/10/98
Eleanor MacMaster wrote:

> Teva sandals - they are great to change into at the end of
> the day and are adaptable to any weather. They are indestructible.
> Wear them with no socks, thin socks or wool socks -- walk
> through mud, water, whatever. And they don't take up much
> space in your packs.

I've found Teva's to be good for riding. It may take a few days of
wearing socks with them to get all the right rough spots on your feet
but after that you don't need to worry about waterproof footgear in the
rain. Just wear your Teva's with no socks.
Chuck Anderson chuckanderso at (see below - no "home.")
Boulder, CO http://home.earthlink.net/~chuckanderso

Robert D. Halem

Oct 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/10/98
to chuck-nodashanderso, s...@prodigy.net, sig...@prodigy.net
But will Teva's take cleats?

Chuck Anderson wrote:

Bob Halem - San Jose, CA
hal...@prodigy.net

Robert D. Halem

Oct 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/10/98
to chuck-nodashanderso

Bob & Linda Carter

Oct 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/11/98
I usually try to bring Linda, and on our singletrack rides, we also bring a
waterfilter and an extra set of cleats.

Marnu

Oct 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/12/98

On all day, or longer, rides I like to carry (in addition to the various basic
food-tools-water combinations everyone has mentioned) a small container each of
sun cream and Bag Balm. If you chafe or sometimes develop saddle sores Bag
Balm is a godsend (apply it before the ride). Occasionally I carry ibuprofen
tabs to relieve a leg cramp or dehydration headache.
-- Cliff Shaw

emmell

Oct 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/12/98

Shimano made a sandal that had SPD cleat attacment capability. FWIW,
I think riding in sandals is just asking to have your foot injured.
Teva's themselves are so flexible I think you would really be able to
tell the power loss difference.
YMMV
-mark

Eric Brasseur

Oct 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/12/98
to Catherine D. Kerr
In addition to most of what has been written in previous posts, I have
found the two following items to be very handy:

- a shower cap: it folds into itself and takes hardly no space. I put it
on my saddle to protect it against the rain when I'm not cycling, so I
stay dry in this lower body area when I climb back on the saddle.

- a newspaper, folded, in a plastic bag, for the four following
purposes:
+ it is great to sit on it when the ground is damp and/or cold: good
insulation, keeps your bum dry,
+ you can read it,
+ use it to start a fire, and replace it afterwards by fresh news,
+ or put some wrapped sheets in wet shoes to absorb most of the water.

Eric Brasseur,

bras...@mema.ucl.ac.be

Hans-Joachim Zierke

Oct 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/12/98

emmell schrieb:

> Shimano made a sandal that had SPD cleat attacment capability. FWIW,
> I think riding in sandals is just asking to have your foot injured.

The Shimano sandal is as stiff as all the other Shimano shoes for casual
use.

> Teva's themselves are so flexible I think you would really be able to
> tell the power loss difference.

Yes. But they are great summer walking shoes.

hajo

Kenneth Anderson

Oct 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/12/98
My buddy had these (I think they were Nike?) Sandles (teva like style) with
cleats. They were not custom, but manufactured. He likes them very much.
Never heard so many comments from people about cleats! Looked cumfy by I
would think you would get strap blisters on long rides.

Robert D. Halem <hal...@prodigy.net> wrote in article
<36204C21...@prodigy.net>...

Rolfoe

Oct 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/13/98

> I usually try to bring Linda, and on our singletrack rides,

Does Linda do the cooking? :-) RO

Rolfoe

Oct 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/13/98

>- a newspaper, folded, in a plastic bag, for the four following
>purposes:
> + it is great to sit on it when the ground is damp and/or cold: good
>insulation, keeps your bum dry,
> + you can read it,
> + use it to start a fire, and replace it afterwards by fresh news,
> + or put some wrapped sheets in wet shoes to absorb most of the water.

One can also use it as toilet paper if needed.

Steve Deering

Oct 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/13/98
A handy thing to include is spokes that fit your rim or rims. Just tape a
few of them together and slip them into your seat post.

Eleanor MacMaster

Oct 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/14/98

Someone mentioned bringing newspaper for a variety of purposes,
including emergencytoilet paper. I take one ortwo ofthose
little kleenex packets -- for blowing my nose, cosmetic
purposes, andalso emergency toilet paper. Lots more
comfortable than newsprint.
--
"Biker Chick"

Eleanor MacMaster

Oct 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/14/98

I keep my extra spokes inside my handlebars -- and put a cork
in the end.
--
"Biker Chick"

Tom Ervolina

Oct 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/15/98
When its cool, but not cold enough for a jacket, a sheet of newspaper
under your jersey against the chest (prefereably between layers) makes
for a good emergency windbreaker -- especially on long descents.

Larry Johnson

Oct 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/16/98
In Europe, I've found that MasterCard is more common in ATM's than
Visa. In the future, I'll try to remember to take both.

Wish I'd had a brake centering tool for my Campy brakes!

BQinMD

Oct 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/17/98

In article <702iu3$2...@freenet-news.carleton.ca>, bo...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA
(Eleanor MacMaster) writes:

I carry the travel packs of flushable "personal" wipes in addition to small
packs of kleenex. They're waterproof (actually, pre-wetted) and do a better
job of clearing away bacteria which can be a source of road rash and
discomfort. They also do a fair job of wiping greasy hands after a repair.0
Bill Yoder Harford County, MD USA

TonyMarley

Oct 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/20/98
I strongly recommend bringing a small roll of fiber duct tape. It can be used
to repair holes in tires following blow-outs so you can ride the bike several
miles to a shop to buy a new tire (I have done it), to repair a hole in the
tent or rain fly (I have done that too), or to cover a hole in your panniers.

There are lots of other little goodies that I take along, but the duct tape is
among the most versatile.

Tony (TonyM...@aol.com)

Scott White

Oct 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/21/98
In article <702ivl$2...@freenet-news.carleton.ca> bo...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (Eleanor MacMaster) writes:

>I keep my extra spokes inside my handlebars -- and put a cork
>in the end.

I use duct tape to secure my extra spokes to the left-side chain-stay.

Scott

--
Scott W. White Research Assistant
University of Wisconsin-Madison Fusion Technology Institute

Bob Schulz

Oct 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/26/98
While I won't disagree with those who carry extra spokes, I had a problem
with breaking spokes (since solved by a profession rebuild) and started
carrying a little kevlar replacement spoke from Nashbar. It's great, less
than 1/2 the size of a pack of gum, it is also a cinch to install on the
road even on the drive side of the rear wheel.

Bob
In article <19981017145052...@ngol04.aol.com>, bqi...@aol.com