winglet weight

1 view

Brad

Nov 11, 2008, 12:13:45 PM11/11/08
I just made a set of winglets using 7725 and a core material called
Soric SF. I used the resin infusion process. The other day I bonded
the skins together and a few days later, with much excitment, I split
the molds apart and liberated the parts.

I gotta say, these are some nice looking parts, they are incredibly
stiff even prior to the spar being added.

Here is my question. These winglets include the transition plus the
blade, and right now w/o the closeout rib, spar tube and other doo-
dads weigh less than 2 pounds.

Any of you guys with similar topology winglets know what yours weigh?
The LS-8 winglets come to mind, as well as the DG-300 winglets.

Thanks!
Brad

uncl...@ix.netcom.com

Nov 11, 2008, 2:15:01 PM11/11/08

FWIW
My ASW-24 winglet, 20 inch span, 5 1/2 mean chord, finished with root
rib, mounting
pins, etc come in at or below 15 oz. Contact me privately if you wish
to share.
UH

Udo

Nov 11, 2008, 3:11:03 PM11/11/08

Finished 2.5 lb each. 22" high, mean chord ~ 7.5", major chord 18".
Check it out.
http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder/Construction/Rumpf_Winglet/Winglets.htm
Udo

Gavin Short

Nov 12, 2008, 4:45:02 AM11/12/08
At 20:11 11 November 2008, Udo wrote:

>Finished 2.5 lb each. 22" high, mean chord ~ 7.5", major chord 18".
>Check it out.
>http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder/Construction/Rumpf_Winglet/Winglets.htm
>Udo
>
>On Nov 11, 12:13=A0pm, Brad wrote:
>> I just made a set of winglets using 7725 and a core material called
>> Soric SF. I used the resin infusion process. The other day I bonded
>> the skins together and a few days later, with much excitment, I split
>> the molds apart and liberated the parts.
>>
>> I gotta say, these are some nice looking parts, they are incredibly
>> stiff even prior to the spar being added.
>>
>> Here is my question. These winglets include the transition plus the
>> blade, and right now w/o the closeout rib, spar tube and other doo-
>> dads weigh less than 2 pounds.
>>
>> Any of you guys with similar topology winglets know what yours weigh?
>> The LS-8 winglets come to mind, as well as the DG-300 winglets.
>>
>> Thanks!
>> Brad

Std Cirrus with approved winglets from Schempp-Hirth and a
reprofiling/regelling of the leading edges added just over 1 Kg to each
wing.

See
http://www.standardcirrus.org/ click on the photo at the bottom right of
the page.

Gavin
Std Cirrus, CNN now G-SCNN, #173
LSV Viersen, Keiheuvel, Belgium

Brad

Nov 14, 2008, 7:07:19 PM11/14/08
Thanks for the replies all. I should be right in the weight fuzzband
by the time I get all the internals in place on the winglet. I am also
configuring for the 18m tip extension, so whatever I do to the winglet
attach will need to be skookum enough for the extension.

Cheers,
Brad