1996 NISSAN MAXIMA , LOST GAS CAP, CHECK ENGINE LIGHT CAME ON

Da 4 Horsemen.

Jan 9, 2011, 7:55:49 PM1/9/11
Hi, I lost my gas cap, and the check engine light came on, I assumed
because of the gas cap. I replaced the gas cap, and the light hasn't
gone away. I also unplugged the battery for 5 minutes thinking that
would do it. It still comes on. Any suggestions? Car runs fine.

E. Meyer

Jan 9, 2011, 10:38:13 PM1/9/11
On 1/9/11 6:55 PM, in article
f4bc9b04-bff0-49b0...@n32g2000pre.googlegroups.com, "Da 4
Horsemen." <ajj...@gmail.com> wrote:

Unplugging the battery for five minutes will not do it. There is a screw on
the ECM that will cause it to blink out the codes and then reset them.

Alternatively, many of the major auto parts stores, like AutoZone, will
connect a reader to it, get the trouble codes out and reset it for you,
usually for free. Make sure you write down the code numbers before you
reset it in case its not the gas cap.

If it is just the gas cap and you replaced it with the correct cap, it will
reset itself and turn off the light after several driving sequences if it
detects the problem that lit the light is no longer present. Give it a week
or so and if the light doesn't go off by itself, try AutoZone.

Steve W.

Jan 9, 2011, 11:22:22 PM1/9/11

It will take a few drive cycles to clear itself if the cap was the
problem. Just drive it a week and it should go out.

--
Steve W.

m6onz5a

Jan 10, 2011, 9:55:37 AM1/10/11

No you NEED to have the code reset.. Driving a million drive cycles
won't remove the code even if the light goes out.

Just have the code reset and you should be good to go. You can also
purchase your own code reader for cheap.

E. Meyer

Jan 11, 2011, 7:57:11 AM1/11/11
On 1/10/11 8:55 AM, in article
0484e9ea-fae4-4a3e...@fx12g2000vbb.googlegroups.com,
"m6onz5a" <cor...@comcast.net> wrote:

> On Jan 9, 11:22 pm, "Steve W." <csr...@NOTyahoo.com> wrote:
>> Da 4 Horsemen. wrote:
>>> Hi, I lost my gas cap, and the check engine light came on, I assumed
>>> because of the gas cap.  I replaced the gas cap, and the light hasn't
>>> gone away.  I also unplugged the battery for 5 minutes thinking that
>>> would do it.  It still comes on.  Any suggestions?  Car runs fine.
>

>> It will take a few drive cycles to clear itself if the cap was the
>> problem. Just drive it a week and it should go out.
>>
>> --
>> Steve W.
>
> No you NEED to have the code reset.. Driving a million drive cycles
> won't remove the code even if the light goes out.

Not true. Take a glance through the FSM for this car. IF its the gas cap
code, it will go away when the light goes out. But, you are right in that
the only way to really know for sure if its the gas cap code is to read the
codes.

Tegger

Jan 11, 2011, 8:34:55 AM1/11/11
m6onz5a <cor...@comcast.net> wrote in news:0484e9ea-fae4-4a3e-8908-
84ea80...@fx12g2000vbb.googlegroups.com:

> On Jan 9, 11:22�pm, "Steve W." <csr...@NOTyahoo.com> wrote:
>> Da 4 Horsemen. wrote:
>> > Hi, I lost my gas cap, and the check engine light came on, I assumed
>> > because of the gas cap. �I replaced the gas cap, and the light hasn't
>> > gone away. �I also unplugged the battery for 5 minutes thinking that
>> > would do it. �It still comes on. �Any suggestions? �Car runs fine
> .
>>
>> It will take a few drive cycles to clear itself if the cap was the
>> problem. Just drive it a week and it should go out.
>>

> No you NEED to have the code reset.. Driving a million drive cycles
> won't remove the code even if the light goes out.

The light will go out the next time the engine's computer runs the
readiness tests and the system passes the tests. That's how OBD-II works.

If the light never does go off, then there is still a problem of some kind,
and the system is failing to pass its tests.

My understanding is that at least some EVAP tests will run even when the
engine is not operated, but fuel tank level must be between a certain
maximum and minimum.

--
Tegger

m6onz5a

Jan 11, 2011, 10:16:46 AM1/11/11
On Jan 11, 8:34 am, Tegger <inva...@example.com> wrote:
> m6onz5a <corv...@comcast.net> wrote in news:0484e9ea-fae4-4a3e-8908-
> 84ea802f3...@fx12g2000vbb.googlegroups.com:
> Tegger- Hide quoted text -

just because the light goes out doesn't mean you don't have any codes.

So, you're saying if it's a gas cap code it resets itself, but all
other codes don't reset???????

Tegger

Jan 11, 2011, 11:23:09 AM1/11/11

> So, you're saying if it's a gas cap code it resets itself, but all
> other codes don't reset???????

No, I just said the light will go off, which is all the owner needs to have
happen. Even emissions testers are only concerned with readiness-monitor
status, and an illuminated MIL.

--
Tegger

m6onz5a

Jan 11, 2011, 11:32:13 AM1/11/11
On Jan 11, 11:23 am, Tegger <inva...@example.com> wrote:

I believe if emmisions test stations find a code stored they won't
pass the vehicle.

Steve W.

Jan 11, 2011, 2:59:46 PM1/11/11

Most of the EVAP stuff uses engine vacuum to test. Basically it applies
vacuum to the system. It times how long it takes to reach a set point
and then times how long it takes to leak down. As long as both times are
withing the normal range it says it's OK. On some engines there is a
separate pump that also works with the EVAP system.

EVAP codes usually require fuel levels between 25% and 75-80%. Plus
operating temps and exterior temps in a certain range.
The the test will run. They won't run outside of this envelope and some
codes require the test to be passed more than once to reset the code.
Most are about 5 drive cycles with no failure.

--
Steve W.

Steve W.

Jan 11, 2011, 3:17:23 PM1/11/11

Depends on the code. Plus it also depends on when the code was set.

If you pull in, the MIL is off and the scanner says that the monitors
are OK (you're allowed two non-complete monitors in NY). The scanner
then checks for certain pending codes. If they are clean then you're all
set.
Then you just need to pass the mechanical/safety part.

If you're in the city then you also get the tailpipe sniffer and all the
related crap. So far that hasn't been pushed up-state. Mainly because it
hasn't worked in the city due to the exemptions in the law.

--
Steve W.

E. Meyer

Jan 11, 2011, 4:34:40 PM1/11/11
On 1/11/11 1:59 PM, in article igicqu$id9$1...@speranza.aioe.org, "Steve W."
<csr...@NOTyahoo.com> wrote:

On this particular car ('96 Maxima), if it was the gas cap code (nissan code
0705 when you blink it out on the light, P0440 if you use a scan tool) the
light will go off after three consecutive driving sequences when the error
is no longer detected.

The code will remain in the ECU memory for 40 driving cycles then disappear
unless it is reset (disconnect battery for 24 hours, reset with screw on
ECU, or reset with scan tool).

There is a catch for emissions tests - if the light goes out by itself
because the condition has gone away, the ECU will report ready. If the ECU
& codes are explicitly reset, then the ECU will report some parameters as
not ready (and it will not pass the emissions test in many states) until a
number of specific driving cycles are successfully completed, which can take
a week or more of driving. So, if an emissions test is coming up, you are
better off with this car to let the light go off by itself rather than reset
the codes.

Tegger

Jan 11, 2011, 7:35:09 PM1/11/11
"Steve W." <csr...@NOTyahoo.com> wrote in

> Most of the EVAP stuff uses engine vacuum to test. Basically it
> applies vacuum to the system. It times how long it takes to reach a
> set point and then times how long it takes to leak down. As long as
> both times are withing the normal range it says it's OK. On some
> engines there is a separate pump that also works with the EVAP system.

What I read (forget where, maybe Click and Clack)...

Cars can sit unused for extensive lengths of time with gas in the tank. It
is possible for fuel vapors to escape into the atmosphere even in the
absence of engine operation. Therefore, the EVAP will run on its own
regularly in order to test for vapor leakage even if the car is not used.
This means that the EVAP imposes a parastic draw on the storage battery
which can cause it to drain more quickly than batteries did before the
advent of ODB-II EVAP systems.

How would the driver would be notified that leakage has occurred when the
car is sitting unused? I have no idea. But people who work for governments
don't usually seem to be well-acquainted with logic.

--
Tegger

Tegger

Jan 11, 2011, 7:44:59 PM1/11/11
"E. Meyer" <epme...@msn.com> wrote in

> There is a catch for emissions tests - if the light goes out by itself
> because the condition has gone away, the ECU will report ready.

The ECM will only report "ready" on those monitors which have passed their
tests.

Certain models have small defects that will cause their OBD-II monitors to
report "not ready" even if nothing is wrong. Many jurisdictions accommodate
such inherent problems by permitting two or more "not ready" monitors.

> If the ECU & codes are explicitly reset, then the ECU will report some
> parameters as not ready

Clearing codes resets ALL readiness monitors, and that's a bitch. Why do
they do that?

> (and it will not pass the emissions test in
> many states) until a number of specific driving cycles are
> successfully completed, which can take a week or more of driving.

At least some automakers have produced documents that detail the drive-
cycles necessary to force all the readiness tests to complete. It's often
possible to make them all run in one day.

--
Tegger

Steve W.

Jan 11, 2011, 9:09:58 PM1/11/11

None of the ones I know of will run the EVAP cycle unless the engine is
actually running. They cannot because the source of the vacuum for the
tests is the engine. They run the tests almost immediately on start up
if the conditions are correct. Most of the parasitic draw is from the
ECM and the clock. Then if you have things like keyless entry or remote
start you can add more drain.

--
Steve W.
(\___/)

Tegger

Jan 12, 2011, 7:02:32 AM1/12/11

> None of the ones I know of will run the EVAP cycle unless the engine
> is actually running. They cannot because the source of the vacuum for
> the tests is the engine. They run the tests almost immediately on
> start up if the conditions are correct. Most of the parasitic draw is
> from the ECM and the clock. Then if you have things like keyless entry
> or remote start you can add more drain.

I wish I could remember where I read about the EVAP running even when the
engine is off. Maybe it wasn't Click and Clack, but just Usenet.

I just studied some late-model EVAP diagrams I have access to, and there is
indeed no separate pump, so engine vacuum can only be the source of testing
vacuum, as you say.

--
Tegger

Steve Austin

Jan 12, 2011, 7:37:39 AM1/12/11
A lot of the late model stuff is natural vacuum leak detection. Done
with engine off.

Tegger

Jan 12, 2011, 7:46:44 AM1/12/11
Steve Austin <sau...@northnet.org> wrote in

How do they do it?

--
Tegger

Steve Austin

Jan 13, 2011, 6:55:49 PM1/13/11
Vent is closed. As gas fumes contract and fuel cools a slight vacuum is
pulled in the tank. This closes a switch.

Tegger

Jan 13, 2011, 7:46:00 PM1/13/11
Steve Austin <sau...@northnet.org> wrote in news:4d2f907c$0$17966$38cefb40
@news.westelcom.com:

Considering the current system can detect the very tiniest of pinholes,
what's the tolerance? How long does it allow for vacuum to leak-off before
it decides there's a problem?

--
Tegger

Steve Austin

Jan 14, 2011, 7:42:30 AM1/14/11
On 1/13/2011 7:46 PM, Tegger wrote:
> Steve Austin<sau...@northnet.org> wrote in news:4d2f907c$0$17966$38cefb40
If switch does not close P0456 sets. The test runs right after shut
down. My service info doesn't give a time limit. This is for a Mopar.

Tegger

Jan 14, 2011, 6:33:50 PM1/14/11
Steve Austin <sau...@northnet.org> wrote in

Thanks.