How to pronounce Langevin?

Twist Turner

Apr 25, 2004, 10:25:59 AM4/25/04
I just talked to a guy who had been in the studio business for 45 years,
his cusom built board from the 60's was built with AM16 modules. He
pronounced it Lanj-a-vin, I always thought it was pronounced Lang-a-vin.
Which is right?

Twist Turner
http://tinyurl.com/ul70

ScotFraser

Apr 25, 2004, 12:12:32 PM4/25/04
<< I just talked to a guy who had been in the studio business for 45 years,
his cusom built board from the 60's was built with AM16 modules. He
pronounced it Lanj-a-vin, I always thought it was pronounced Lang-a-vin.
Which is right? >>

The first pro board I ever worked in the 70's was a Langevin & the old timer
who had heavily modded it said "Lonj-van", with the emphasis on the first
syllable, as it would be in French. That's how I've pronounced it since.

Scott Fraser

John

Apr 25, 2004, 1:29:08 PM4/25/04
>From: Blu...@webtv.net (Twist Turner)

>I just talked to a guy who had been in the studio business for 45 years,
>his cusom built board from the 60's was built with AM16 modules. He
>pronounced it Lanj-a-vin, I always thought it was pronounced Lang-a-vin.
>Which is right?

We need to just get EveAnna to reply to this. Since Manley owns the name, I
suppose they own the pronounciation of it too. The only thing I know about it
is that the q is silent.
-John Vice
www.summertimestudios.com

Bert Kraaijpoel

Apr 25, 2004, 1:37:15 PM4/25/04
If it is French the prononciation will be close to what Scot Fraser
indicates except for the emphasis. I don't know about Canadian French,
at home, my wife and I, we speak French French. The emphasis should be
on the last syllable.

My regards,
Bert

Cass Anawaty

Apr 25, 2004, 2:17:24 PM4/25/04
Blu...@webtv.net (Twist Turner) wrote in message news:<2442-408...@storefull-3317.bay.webtv.net>...

Hahaha. I asked this very question at their booth at Winter Namm. I
was told it's "Lawn-juh-vin"....
CAA

EggHd

Apr 25, 2004, 5:14:42 PM4/25/04
<< I was told it's "Lawn-juh-vin".... >>

That's how I have always pronounced it.

---------------------------------------

Richard Crowley

Apr 25, 2004, 6:22:29 PM4/25/04
"EggHd" wrote ...

> << I was told it's "Lawn-juh-vin".... >>
>
> That's how I have always pronounced it.

Likewise.

Phil Brown

Apr 25, 2004, 6:55:42 PM4/25/04
>> << I was told it's "Lawn-juh-vin".... >>
>>
>> That's how I have always pronounced it.
>
>Likewise.

We had racks of Langevin preamps at CBS and we always said "lanj-a-vin."
Phil Brown

Arjan P

Apr 25, 2004, 8:29:45 PM4/25/04
John wrote:
> We need to just get EveAnna to reply to this. Since Manley owns the
> name, I suppose they own the pronounciation of it too.

And they did refer to it on their website too:
http://www.manleylabs.com/containerpages/LDVC.html (scroll down; first
question in the Langevin FAQ) Not that they really answer the question,
they just say the G is soft..

Luck, Arjan

--
----Real email: news then at then soundbyte then dot then nl----

NewYorkDave

Apr 25, 2004, 8:34:22 PM4/25/04
Blu...@webtv.net (Twist Turner) wrote in message news:<2442-408...@storefull-3317.bay.webtv.net>...
> I just talked to a guy who had been in the studio business for 45 years,
> his cusom built board from the 60's was built with AM16 modules. He
> pronounced it Lanj-a-vin, I always thought it was pronounced Lang-a-vin.
> Which is right?

If it's French, it's "lanj-VAN"

But, like Twist Turner, I always want to pronounce it Lang-a-vin.

marty

Apr 26, 2004, 4:46:11 AM4/26/04
On the subject of pronouncing gear names;
I always wondered how Neve is pronounced.
One or two syllables? Should I pronounce the last 'e' ? Is the first
'e' long or short? Can anyone enlighten me?

Thanks!

On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 09:25:59 -0500, Blu...@webtv.net (Twist Turner)

Geoff Wood

Apr 25, 2004, 6:07:48 AM4/25/04
EggHd wrote:
> << I was told it's "Lawn-juh-vin".... >>
>
> That's how I have always pronounced it.

I'd vote for "long van"

geoff

Geoff Wood

Apr 25, 2004, 6:10:23 AM4/25/04
marty wrote:
> On the subject of pronouncing gear names;
> I always wondered how Neve is pronounced.
> One or two syllables? Should I pronounce the last 'e' ? Is the first
> 'e' long or short? Can anyone enlighten me?

I always pronounced it nev-eh, like the snowfeild. But Rupert says it's
Neve as in "leave".

geoff

HenryShap

Apr 26, 2004, 6:18:56 AM4/26/04
It's "long-john's". The solid state ones are plaid, the older tube ones are red
with the flap in the back.

Henry

Paul

Apr 26, 2004, 10:06:38 AM4/26/04
Blu...@webtv.net (Twist Turner) wrote in message news:<2442-408...@storefull-3317.bay.webtv.net>...

I had a friend I use to work with with that name... his pronounciation

Lan Juh Vin

Andre Majorel

Apr 26, 2004, 1:26:39 PM4/26/04
In article <2442-408...@storefull-3317.bay.webtv.net>, Twist Turner wrote:

> I just talked to a guy who had been in the studio business for 45 years,
> his cusom built board from the 60's was built with AM16 modules. He
> pronounced it Lanj-a-vin, I always thought it was pronounced Lang-a-vin.
> Which is right?

He is.

Langevin is a name from the North-West of France. In French, G
followed by E is always a soft, flat J sound, as the last G in
garage.

You may or may not pronounce the e, both are acceptable.

Unfortunately, it's difficult to find an equivalent in English,
as the AN in lan, the E in ge and the IN in vin are three sounds
that don't exist in English. But "lanjevin" is definitely the
closest. Just don't make it sound like "langgevin" or
"landjevin".

Langevins born in France between 1891 and 1915:

http://www.cartedefrance.tm.fr/cgi-bin/geopatro/francepatro.cgi?numero=0036152&periode=1

--
André Majorel <URL:http://www.teaser.fr/~amajorel/>
1, 2, 3... Testing... Does this thing work ?

Analogeezer

Apr 26, 2004, 2:06:42 PM4/26/04
Blu...@webtv.net (Twist Turner) wrote in message news:<2442-408...@storefull-3317.bay.webtv.net>...

This kind of reminds me of how the Roland Corp. got it's name. The
founder wanted a name that would be pronounced the same regardless of
language (well within reason), and was in London, and saw the name in
a phone book.

so he decided to call the company "Roland"

Analogeezer

Bob Olhsson

Apr 26, 2004, 9:12:09 PM4/26/04

Bob Olhsson Audio Mastery, Nashville TN
615.385.8051 http://www.hyperback.com
"EggHd" <eg...@aol.com> wrote in message

> << I was told it's "Lawn-juh-vin".... >>
>
> That's how I have always pronounced it.

And that's how I always heard it other than from an occasional person who
knew nothing about audio.

Roger W. Norman

Apr 28, 2004, 9:40:04 AM4/28/04
"Bob Olhsson" <o...@hyperback.com> wrote in message

> And that's how I always heard it other than from an occasional person who
> knew nothing about audio.

Shucks, then after all these years of paying attention to you and Glenn
Meadows and Ethan and Bill Park I still haven't learned anything because I
always pronouced it wrong. Then again, I wasn't think "french". In my case
it was always Lang -a-vin. Then again, truth be told, I don't recall
actually ever actually "pronoucing" it.

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

Steve King

Apr 28, 2004, 1:24:58 PM4/28/04
"Roger W. Norman" <rno...@starpower.net> wrote in message

Unless 32 Langevin AM 5116-B (tube) preamps/line amps were used in the first
console you built.... then, inevitably, the word comes up in
conversations.;-)

Steve King

Don Cooper

Apr 28, 2004, 8:44:55 PM4/28/04

EggHd wrote:

> << I was told it's "Lawn-juh-vin".... >>
>
> That's how I have always pronounced it.

Me too. We had several at a studio I worked at in the late '70's - early
'80's. It was the model that they show in the intro of the early E!
"Howard Stern" shows.

Don

EveAnna Manley

May 1, 2004, 12:10:32 AM5/1/04
Arjan P <fa...@email.id> wrote in message news:<108olvh...@corp.supernews.com>...

> John wrote:
> > We need to just get EveAnna to reply to this. Since Manley owns the
> > name, I suppose they own the pronounciation of it too.

We say "Lawnjuhvan" around here. Sorry I don't know how to type those
schwa things (upside down "e") that probably should sorta be there. We
try to pronounce it fairly french-like as that's where the name came
from. Right?

My maiden name is French. "Dauray"
Rhymes with "door way"

It used to be D'Auray a long time ago...
I have been to Auray. It's a nice place.
---
Cheers, EveAnna Manley, President
Manley Laboratories, Inc. 13880 Magnolia Ave. Chino, CA. 91710
Tel: (909) 627-4256 Fax: (909) 628-2482
<http://www.manleylabs.com>

John

May 1, 2004, 3:39:23 PM5/1/04
>From: manle...@yahoo.com (EveAnna Manley)
>Date: 5/1/2004 12:10 AM Eastern Daylight Time

Sweet. She replied to my request. I have this strange vicarious feeling...
Like that's about as close as I'm going to get to owning an actual piece of
their kit.
-John Vice
www.summertimestudios.com

Justin Ulysses Morse

May 2, 2004, 11:04:17 PM5/2/04
Paul <pa...@scorestudio.com> wrote:

> I had a friend I use to work with with that name... his pronounciation
>
> Lan Juh Vin

You can't count on people to know how to pronounce their own name. I
had a high school English teacher named Mrs. Dubois. She pronounced it
Do-Boys. Good thing she wasn't a French teacher. I'm not saying your
friend is as dumb as my English teacher, but you never do know can
tell.

ulysses

Justin Ulysses Morse

May 2, 2004, 11:07:36 PM5/2/04
Andre Majorel <amaj...@teezer.fr> wrote:

> Langevin is a name from the North-West of France. In French, G
> followed by E is always a soft, flat J sound, as the last G in
> garage.
>
> You may or may not pronounce the e, both are acceptable.
>
> Unfortunately, it's difficult to find an equivalent in English,
> as the AN in lan, the E in ge and the IN in vin are three sounds
> that don't exist in English. But "lanjevin" is definitely the
> closest. Just don't make it sound like "langgevin" or
> "landjevin".

Okay, but if you're going to follow all the rules of French
pronunciation then the 2nd N should be silent. Lahn-je-vah. That's
why I quit French and switched to Spanish in school. I always felt
silly only saying half of every word.

ulysses

Mike Rivers

May 3, 2004, 8:35:59 AM5/3/04

> You can't count on people to know how to pronounce their own name. I
> had a high school English teacher named Mrs. Dubois. She pronounced it
> Do-Boys. Good thing she wasn't a French teacher.

I had an English teacher in high school who insisted that the name of
the character in the book Don Juan was pronounced JOO-wahn, because
the author was English, not Spanish.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers - (mri...@d-and-d.com)

Scott Dorsey

May 3, 2004, 10:39:44 AM5/3/04
In article <znr1083581956k@trad>, Mike Rivers <mri...@d-and-d.com> wrote:
>In article <020520042204178788%ulysse...@rollmusic.com> ulysse...@rollmusic.com writes:
>
>> You can't count on people to know how to pronounce their own name. I
>> had a high school English teacher named Mrs. Dubois. She pronounced it
>> Do-Boys. Good thing she wasn't a French teacher.
>
>I had an English teacher in high school who insisted that the name of
>the character in the book Don Juan was pronounced JOO-wahn, because
>the author was English, not Spanish.

Hey, that's how Byron pronounced it and that's good enough for me.
--scott

S O'Neill

May 3, 2004, 2:46:23 PM5/3/04
Justin Ulysses Morse wrote:

> Okay, but if you're going to follow all the rules of French
> pronunciation then the 2nd N should be silent. Lahn-je-vah.

Actually not silent but a nasal N. Definitely an N dressed up as an H.

Geoff Wood

May 2, 2004, 3:37:01 PM5/2/04
Mike Rivers wrote:
> In article <020520042204178788%ulysse...@rollmusic.com>
> ulysse...@rollmusic.com writes:
>
>> You can't count on people to know how to pronounce their own name. I
>> had a high school English teacher named Mrs. Dubois. She pronounced
>> it Do-Boys. Good thing she wasn't a French teacher.
>
> I had an English teacher in high school who insisted that the name of
> the character in the book Don Juan was pronounced JOO-wahn, because
> the author was English, not Spanish.

When I was living in Mexico a visiting friend made a genuine attempt at a
restaurant to request more cheese in espanol. Mas queso (qwey-zoh, as is
quaver) por favor. Which has lived on in our memories for15 years !

geoff

Last Samurai

May 3, 2004, 5:33:18 PM5/3/04
Justin Ulysses Morse <ulysse...@rollmusic.com> wrote in message news:<020520042204178788%ulysse...@rollmusic.com>...

isn't that how the Dubois, Idaho pronounced as?

I was told that there is some story behind it. IIRC, something about a
weird name that the people wanted to register for their town, the
officials refused and at the last moment picked a random name, of some
city official. People were pissed and they decided to pronounce it as
Doo-Boys.

Jedd Haas

May 3, 2004, 5:35:17 PM5/3/04
In article <020520042204178788%ulysse...@rollmusic.com>, Justin
Ulysses Morse <ulysse...@rollmusic.com> wrote:

There's a lot of that going on here in New Orleans. Do you know the
correct pronunciation of Burgundy St., Carondelet St., and Chartres St.?

It's burr-GUN-dee, (emphasis on 2nd syllable) not burg-un-dee;
carr-ron-dell-LET, not "lay" and Chartres is pronounced charters, not like
the cathedral in France.

--
Jedd Haas - Artist
http://www.gallerytungsten.com

Mike Rivers

May 3, 2004, 6:44:53 PM5/3/04

In article <cbxlc.1605$s3.1...@news02.tsnz.net> ge...@paf.co.nz-nospam writes:

> When I was living in Mexico a visiting friend made a genuine attempt at a
> restaurant to request more cheese in espanol. Mas queso (qwey-zoh

The parents of a friend of mine were visiting him in Japan. They were
staying at the Hilton, which in Japanese is pronounced kind of like
HERE-oo-tin. They apparently knew this, sort of, and kept trying to
tell a cab driver hi-ROOT-in. It didn't work.

I did see someone wearing a T-shirt over there that had a picture of a
sports car and said "Load Lace."

--
I'm really Mike Rivers (mri...@d-and-d.com)

Geoff Wood

May 2, 2004, 8:26:54 PM5/2/04
Mike Rivers wrote:
> In article <cbxlc.1605$s3.1...@news02.tsnz.net>
> ge...@paf.co.nz-nospam writes:
>
>> When I was living in Mexico a visiting friend made a genuine attempt
>> at a restaurant to request more cheese in espanol. Mas queso
>> (qwey-zoh
>
> The parents of a friend of mine were visiting him in Japan. They were
> staying at the Hilton, which in Japanese is pronounced kind of like
> HERE-oo-tin. They apparently knew this, sort of, and kept trying to
> tell a cab driver hi-ROOT-in. It didn't work.
>
> I did see someone wearing a T-shirt over there that had a picture of a
> sports car and said "Load Lace."

And talking of people unable to pronounce basic words in foreign tongues, it
is "new- clear" not "new-kew-lar"

geoff

transducr

May 3, 2004, 10:23:48 PM5/3/04
mri...@d-and-d.com (Mike Rivers) wrote in message news:<znr1083615429k@trad>...

> In article <cbxlc.1605$s3.1...@news02.tsnz.net> ge...@paf.co.nz-nospam writes:
>
> > When I was living in Mexico a visiting friend made a genuine attempt at a
> > restaurant to request more cheese in espanol. Mas queso (qwey-zoh
>
> The parents of a friend of mine were visiting him in Japan. They were
> staying at the Hilton, which in Japanese is pronounced kind of like
> HERE-oo-tin. They apparently knew this, sort of, and kept trying to
> tell a cab driver hi-ROOT-in. It didn't work.
>
> I did see someone wearing a T-shirt over there that had a picture of a
> sports car and said "Load Lace."

i SERIOUSLY want that shirt.

S O'Neill

May 4, 2004, 3:51:23 AM5/4/04

The name of the town was Never Sweat, at the headwaters of the Wind
River in western Wyoming. It grew large enough they wanted a post
office, so they submitted it to the PG of the US. He said you can have
your post office, but it's gonna be called DuBois (doo-bwa, the PG's own
name). The people said no, it's gonna be Doo-boys.

Chris!

May 4, 2004, 6:13:20 AM5/4/04
> I was told that there is some story behind it. IIRC, something about a
> weird name that the people wanted to register for their town, the
> officials refused and at the last moment picked a random name, of some
> city official. People were pissed and they decided to pronounce it as
> Doo-Boys.

The lovely town of Buena Vista, Virginia, is pronounced so that the first
syllable rhymes with "you".

--
Chris White, Freelance Advertising Writer & Voice Overs*
Email: ch...@chriswhite.com Web: www.chriswhite.com

neil.he...@sbcglobal.netnospam

May 4, 2004, 8:51:20 AM5/4/04
"Chris!" <ch...@chriswhite.com> wrote in message

> > I was told that there is some story behind it. IIRC, something about a
> > weird name that the people wanted to register for their town, the
> > officials refused and at the last moment picked a random name, of some
> > city official. People were pissed and they decided to pronounce it as
> > Doo-Boys.
>
> The lovely town of Buena Vista, Virginia, is pronounced so that the first
> syllable rhymes with "you".

Buena Yousta?
--

Neil Henderson
Progressive Rock

Mike Rivers

May 4, 2004, 9:25:17 AM5/4/04

In article <11Klc.38138$NZ4.34914@lakeread05> ch...@chriswhite.com writes:

> The lovely town of Buena Vista, Virginia, is pronounced so that the first
> syllable rhymes with "you".

They pronounce Pulaski as PYEW-lasky.

Last Samurai

May 6, 2004, 3:54:49 PM5/6/04
S O'Neill <nos...@nospam.org> wrote in message news:<c77i1s$q7n$1...@woodrow.ucdavis.edu>...
> Last Samurai wrote:

> > isn't that how the Dubois, Idaho pronounced as?
> >
> > I was told that there is some story behind it. IIRC, something about a
> > weird name that the people wanted to register for their town, the
> > officials refused and at the last moment picked a random name, of some
> > city official. People were pissed and they decided to pronounce it as
> > Doo-Boys.
>

> The name of the town was Never Sweat, at the headwaters of the Wind
> River in western Wyoming. It grew large enough they wanted a post
> office, so they submitted it to the PG of the US. He said you can have
> your post office, but it's gonna be called DuBois (doo-bwa, the PG's own
> name). The people said no, it's gonna be Doo-boys.

Thanks! Yes, never sweat it was. I vaguely remembered the reference to
some post office. I was told about this when a couple of my colleagues
visited the town and came back with this interesting history.

Terry King

May 10, 2004, 9:53:01 AM5/10/04
> I had a friend I use to work with with that name... his pronounciation
> Lan Juh Vin

That same pronunciation is used by a woman Engineer I knew at IBM
named Kelly Langevin. But we're pretty used to French pronunciations up
here in the U.S. North Country where the nearest big city is Montreal...

--
Regards, Terry King ...In The Woods In Vermont
te...@terryking.us

dotti...@gmail.com

Feb 15, 2016, 10:09:10 AM2/15/16

Frank Stearns

Feb 15, 2016, 11:56:04 AM2/15/16
dotti...@gmail.com writes:

>On Sunday, April 25, 2004 at 10:25:59 AM UTC-4, Twist Turner wrote:
>> I just talked to a guy who had been in the studio business for 45 years,
>> his cusom built board from the 60's was built with AM16 modules. He
>> pronounced it Lanj-a-vin, I always thought it was pronounced Lang-a-vin.
>> Which is right?

I've been around in this for a little over 40 years, did some work as a teen in an
old-time studio that had a 12x4 Langevin console... They always said "Lanj-a-vin".
In later years when the brand was mentioned, also always heard it as Lanj-a-vin.

FWIW.

Frank
Mobile Audio
--
.

Don Pearce

Feb 15, 2016, 12:01:52 PM2/15/16
Lonzh-uh-van is about as close as I can type. Except the final n is
not pronounced fully - it is a nasal French termination in which the
tongue tip does not touch the roof of the mouth.

---

geoff

Feb 15, 2016, 3:56:32 PM2/15/16
On 16/02/2016 6:01 a.m., Don Pearce wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Feb 2016 07:09:05 -0800 (PST), dotti...@gmail.com wrote:
>
>> On Sunday, April 25, 2004 at 10:25:59 AM UTC-4, Twist Turner wrote:
>>> I just talked to a guy who had been in the studio business for 45 years,
>>> his cusom built board from the 60's was built with AM16 modules. He
>>> pronounced it Lanj-a-vin, I always thought it was pronounced Lang-a-vin.
>>> Which is right?
>>>

>>> Twist Turner
>>> http://tinyurl.com/ul70
> Lonzh-uh-van is about as close as I can type. Except the final n is
> not pronounced fully - it is a nasal French termination in which the
> tongue tip does not touch the roof of the mouth.

I go with this one. Maybe even completely dropping the "-uh-".

geoff

JackA

Feb 15, 2016, 6:26:38 PM2/15/16
On Monday, February 15, 2016 at 3:56:32 PM UTC-5, geoff wrote:
> On 16/02/2016 6:01 a.m., Don Pearce wrote:

Sounds like music (on site) of the early 70's!! Not bad!

Jack