Outraged Celebrities Apologize After Finding Out Obama Said the Same Thing Ben Carson Said About Slaves - Not Really

BTR1701

Mar 7, 2017, 11:00:04 PM3/7/17
On March 6th, newly-minted Secretary of Housing and Urban Development
(HUD), Dr. Ben Carson, gave a speech before employees of the
organization. During the speech, he made a controversial remark,
referring to African slaves as "immigrants".

Here's the quote which has progressives outraged:

"That's what America is about-- a land of dreams and opportunity.
There were immigrants who came here in the bottom of slave ships,
worked even longer, even harder, for less. But they too had a
dream that one day their sons, daughters, grandsons, granddaughters,
great-grandsons, great-granddaughters might pursue prosperity and
happiness in this land."

Social media reacted swiftly, with celebrities and commentators
skewering Carson:

Samuel L. Jackson @SamuelLJackson:

OK!! Ben Carson....I can't! Immigrants ? In the bottom of
SLAVE SHIPS??!! MUTHAFUKKA PLEASE!!! #dickheadedtom

Eric Guster, Esq @EricGuster

Since Ben Carson thinks slaves were immigrants then he must
think Jews were guests at the Nazi Summer Camp.
#SlavesAreNotImmigrants

John Fugelsang @JohnFugelsang

Not only does Ben Carson think slaves were immigrants pursuing
the American Dream, they also never thanked slavers for the
free boat ride.

Tariq Nasheed @tariqnasheed

Just in case you thought the Coon Train couldn't go any faster.
Ben Carson took it to full speed.

ICE T @FINALLEVEL

Carson is a DumbFuck... I been said that...

Christopher Jackson @ChrisisSingin

Our Ancestors didn't have a "CHOICE" you IDIOT!!!! Ben Carson,
you are Hopelessly Ignorant. Again, Kids... look the other
way...Please.

Tuesday, a side-by-side video featuring Ben Carson's remarks alongside
those made during a 2015 speech by then-President Barack Obama was
published, and they were eerily similar:

OBAMA: "And perhaps, like some of you, these new arrivals might
have had some moments of doubt, wondering if they had made a
mistake in leaving everything and everyone they ever knew
behind... So life in America was not always easy. It wasn't
always easy for new immigrants. Certainly it wasn't easy for
those of African heritage who had not come here voluntarily,
and yet in their own way were immigrants themselves.

There was discrimination and hardship and poverty. But, like you,
they no doubt found inspiration in all those who had come before
them. And they were able to muster faith that, here in America,
they might build a better life and give their children something
more."

Almost immediately following that story, the celebrities and
commentators who castigated Ben Carson took to social media to apologize.

Tariq Nasheed said: "Wow. I guess I should have thought about it more
before I called Carson a coon. I'm truly sorry."

ICE-T offered a similar apology, writing: "I hate eating crow, but
admitting fault is the right thing to do. It was very foolish of me to
call Ben Carson a dumbf***. So sorry!"

Perhaps the most thoughtful statement came from Samuel L. Jackson, who
some would argue offered the most brutal commentary: "I am deeply sorry
for what I said Monday. I should have slept on it before calling Ben
Carson a MUTHAFUCKA, and a dickheadedtom. Frankly, I'm incredibly
embarrassed."

Oh wait... none of that happened. No retractions; no apologies; no
mention that Carson's language directly mirrored Obama's.

It's funny how that works, isn't it?

http://www.dailywire.com/news/14201/outraged-celebrities-apologize-after-
finding-out-frank-camp#

FPP

Mar 8, 2017, 4:04:32 AM3/8/17
Absolutely! Because if Obama sez it, everybody on the left MUST agree with it.

It was a dumb fucking statement, whether Obama, Carson, or Jesus H.
Christ made it. Period.
--
"We have to accept that the winner of this election was a Washington
outsider who no one thought had a shot at running this country:

RichA

Mar 8, 2017, 4:18:43 AM3/8/17
S--- head celebrities do, don't they?

BTR1701

Mar 8, 2017, 10:38:04 AM3/8/17
In article <o9oh9l$i6p$1...@dont-email.me>, FPP <fred...@gmail.com>
wrote:
And yet there's only howling outrage when Carson says it.

moviePig

Mar 8, 2017, 11:17:27 AM3/8/17
According to your quotes, Obama mentioned the 'voluntary' thing -- which Carson omitted. If Carson was trying to channel an Obama speech, then his omission may have been at the level of a mere typo. But, of course, that explanation raises various specters of its own.

--

- - - - - - - -
YOUR taste at work...

Adam H. Kerman

Mar 8, 2017, 11:35:00 AM3/8/17
Ignoring the issue of whether actors should ever go off script under
any circumstances, even when ordering breakfast, isn't Carson someone who
makes your skin crawl more often than not whenever he gives a speech?

The Pyramids at Giza were built as a hermetically sealed method of grain
storage, on Joseph's advice to Pharaoh? Aargh. They'd already been built.

I think Carson should have said something about paying labor in grain
on Egypt's other construction projects during lousy growing seasons to
even out the feast/famine cycle since Joseph had read and was inspired
by John Maynard Keynes.

I hate to agree with that blithering idiot FPP, but I have a vague
recollection of finding that Obama speech off putting. He was speaking
at a naturalization ceremony.

http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/?pid=111241

I think the line,

Certainly, it wasn't easy for those of African heritage who had
not come here voluntarily and yet in their own way were immigrants
themselves.

struck me as why is the president toning down the rhetoric of slavery
when I heard it. "It wasn't easy"? Give me a break. They were captured,
sent across the ocean as cargo in ships' holds, many died along the way,
then the ones who lived were sold into slavery.

It wasn't easy for me the other day when I ran out of a food staple and
hadn't yet had a chance to go grocery shopping.

I think Carson's rhetoric is, uh, unlikely. Hopes and dreams for their
ancestors? Uh, more like, will I survive the next few hours on rough seas?

Adam H. Kerman

Mar 8, 2017, 12:09:46 PM3/8/17
Blithering idiocy just attracts moviePig to offer his comments that are
very much worse than Humpty Dumpty's.

Carson said they "came here in the bottom of slave ships". That's an
explicit statement that, quite frankly, Obama didn't make. Do you understand
the issue of coming to America in the bottom of a slave ship? It's truly
sad that you think Carson needed to dumb down his remarks for his audience
who required him to address whether it was voluntarily.

Why aren't you applauding, moviePig? Both Obama and Carson used the word
"immigrant" to describe who slaves were brought to America, an atypical
use of that word. At the very least, they were exiled from their home lands
in Africa, captured in war and sold to slave traders.

Connor

Mar 8, 2017, 12:52:00 PM3/8/17
not TV. take your stupid politics stuff somewhere else.

BTR1701

Mar 8, 2017, 1:26:31 PM3/8/17
Connor <cshann...@gmail.com> wrote:

> not TV. take your stupid politics stuff somewhere else.

The antics of TV actors and other celebrities have always been and continue
to be "TV" as far as this group is concerned, so fuck off little netcop.

trotsky

Mar 8, 2017, 3:25:57 PM3/8/17
On 3/7/17 10:00 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
> On March 6th, newly-minted Secretary of Housing and Urban Development
> (HUD), Dr. Ben Carson, gave a speech before employees of the
> organization. During the speech, he made a controversial remark,
> referring to African slaves as "immigrants".
>
> Here's the quote which has progressives outraged:
>
> "That's what America is about-- a land of dreams and opportunity.
> There were immigrants who came here in the bottom of slave ships,
> worked even longer, even harder, for less. But they too had a
> dream that one day their sons, daughters, grandsons, granddaughters,
> great-grandsons, great-granddaughters might pursue prosperity and
> happiness in this land."
>
> Tuesday, a side-by-side video featuring Ben Carson's remarks alongside
> those made during a 2015 speech by then-President Barack Obama was
> published, and they were eerily similar:
>
> OBAMA: "And perhaps, like some of you, these new arrivals might
> have had some moments of doubt, wondering if they had made a
> mistake in leaving everything and everyone they ever knew
> behind... So life in America was not always easy. It wasn't
> always easy for new immigrants. Certainly it wasn't easy for
> those of African heritage who had not come here voluntarily,
> and yet in their own way were immigrants themselves.
>
> There was discrimination and hardship and poverty. But, like you,
> they no doubt found inspiration in all those who had come before
> them. And they were able to muster faith that, here in America,
> they might build a better life and give their children something
> more."

Wow, I'm nonplussed. Liberals were outraged by what Carson said,and did
say something similar. Ultimately they both referred to slaves as
immigrants, albeit with Obama sounding 10 million times more eloquent
and relevant. But here's the rub, Thanny. We had a much bigger case of
hypocrisy occur this week, a case which related to life and death of the
American people. Now, I know in most cases you don't have the balls to
respond to me, so don't worry about that. But here is why you're such a
loser: if you're going to prioritize about what's important vs. what
isn't, don't you think that you should comment on the GOP's rollout on
what has come to be known as "Obamacare lite"? They spent SEVEN
MOTHERFUCKING YEARS trying to repeal the ACA, and now when they are
totally fucked and realize they have to have a fucking replacement at
the same time, they come up with a "plan" with all the most important
tenets of the ACA, but with stipulations so that the oligarchs they are
whores to, in this case the insurance companies, can make more money at
the expense of the American people. So Carson said something that the
folks on the left thought was stupid, but the GOP has egested a pile of
shit so monumentally huge that they should just conceded and stop trying
to exist as a political party. Oh, and all this is going on while we're
learning about six or seven violations of the Hatch Act by the
Trumpettes, including Capt. Orange himself. So tell me, if you have the
balls, you smug worthless trolling piece of shit, how you missed this
fuck up of epic proportions and instead thought it was more important to
comment on the slaves as immigrants thing. Or just crawl back into the
woodwork like the filthy fucking cockroach you are, as we've come to expect.

hanc...@bbs.cpcn.com

Mar 8, 2017, 3:48:22 PM3/8/17
On Wednesday, March 8, 2017 at 10:38:04 AM UTC-5, BTR1701 wrote:

> And yet there's only howling outrage when Carson says it.

Carson is now a person in political power. Hollywood celebrities are
not.

FPP

Mar 8, 2017, 8:00:09 PM3/8/17
Nope. Wrong again! Color me shocked...

> ‘The Daily Show’s’ Trevor Noah Calls Out Obama for Also Calling Slaves
> ‘Immigrants’
>
> “It doesn’t matter who said it,” the host continued. “Slaves weren’t
> immigrants. Because an immigrant has choice. They choose the country
> they’re going to because they hope it will bring them a better life.”
> To say otherwise, he added, “helps justify blaming African-Americans
> for their hardships.”
>
> http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2017/03/08/the-daily-show-s-trevor-noah-calls-out-obama-for-also-calling-slaves-immigrants.html
--

Days Without a Lie Coming Out of the White House: 0
Days Without President Twitler Being a National Embarrassment: 0

Rhino

Mar 8, 2017, 8:39:43 PM3/8/17
It seems to me that Obama was a person in political power too - quite a
bit *more* power as I recall. But that's not relevant, right?

--
Rhino

---

BTR1701

Mar 8, 2017, 9:53:51 PM3/8/17
In article <mNZvA.47386$k61....@fx05.iad>,
> if you're going to prioritize about what's important vs. what
> isn't, don't you think that you should comment on the GOP's rollout on
> what has come to be known as "Obamacare lite"?

No, because that has nothing to do with TV.

This does, you repellant shitweasel.

BTR1701

Mar 8, 2017, 9:54:57 PM3/8/17
In article <c11ba4aa-14b7-427a...@googlegroups.com>,
Obama was a person in political power when he made the same speech, yet
there were no similar howls of outrage.

BTR1701

Mar 8, 2017, 9:56:37 PM3/8/17
In article <o9pbma$2iq$1...@dont-email.me>,
"Adam H. Kerman" <a...@chinet.com> wrote:

> I hate to agree with that blithering idiot FPP, but I have a vague
> recollection of finding that Obama speech off putting. He was speaking
> at a naturalization ceremony.

My point isn't whether it's appropriate to refer to slaves as immigrants
or not, or who was more or less offensive in their respective speeches
on the topic, but merely to point out the difference in the reaction to
what were essentially the same comments.

RichA

Mar 8, 2017, 10:24:07 PM3/8/17
"It's a black thing."

Roger Blake

Mar 8, 2017, 11:12:00 PM3/8/17
On 2017-03-09, BTR1701 <atr...@mac.com> wrote:
> Obama was a person in political power when he made the same speech, yet
> there were no similar howls of outrage.

0bama is shielded from any kind of criticism or outrage from Hollywood
by the mighty "D" next to his name.

NSA sedition and treason -- http://www.DeathToNSAthugs.com
Don't talk to cops! -- http://www.DontTalkToCops.com
Badges don't grant extra rights -- http://www.CopBlock.org

FPP

Mar 9, 2017, 3:38:35 AM3/9/17
Maybe it's the accumulation of stupid comments that makes Carson's a
little more memorable. People can forgive and forget a few flubs...
but when you keep saying batshit crazy stuff, it becomes a pattern of
idiocy.

> The current Members of Congress have a combined 8,700 years of
> political experience. Are we sure political experience is what we need.
> Every signer of the Declaration of Independence had no federal elected
> office experience," he wrote. "What they had was a deep belief that
> freedom is a gift from God. They had a determination to rise up against
> a tyrannical King. They were willing to risk all they had, even their
> lives, to be free."
>
> As The Washington Post's Fact Checker blog pointed out to Carson's
> campaign, however, several members of the committee that drafted the
> historic document served in their states' equivalent legislatures. The
> claim earned four Pinocchios.
>
> -----
>
> On Tuesday, Mother Jones surfaced a video from last November in which
> Carson addressed an audience at Richard Nixon's presidential library in
> California, remarking that American "people are not as stupid as [the
> media] think they are."
>
> "Many of them are stupid, OK. But I'm talking about overall," he said.
>
> -----
>
> The candidate told "Fox and Friends" that if a gunman like the one who
> killed nine people at Umpqua Community College in Oregon had walked up
> to him and asked his religion, he would not go along.
>
> "Not only would I probably not cooperate with him, I would not just
> stand there and let him shoot me, I would say, ‘Hey guys, everybody
> attack him. He may shoot me, but he can’t get us all,'" Carson
> suggested, when talking about the October killings.
>
> -----
>
> "I would not advocate that we put a Muslim in charge of this nation. I
> absolutely would not agree with that," Carson told NBC News' Chuck Todd
> during the episode of "Meet the Press" that aired Sept. 20
>
> -----
>
> A lot of people who go into prison straight and when they come out,
> they’re gay, so did something happen while they were in there? Ask
> yourself that question," he told Chris Cuomo.
>
> -----
>
> I've been told that he [Carson] said we're living in a 'Gestapo age'.
> What do you mean by that?"
>
> “I mean very much like Nazi Germany — and I know you’re not supposed to
> talk about Nazi Germany, but I don’t care about political correctness —
> you know, you had a government using its tools to intimidate a
> population,” Carson said. “We now live in a society where people are
> afraid to say what they actually believe, and it's because of the PC
> police, it's because of politicians, because of news — all of these
> things are combining to stifle people's conversation.”

It's not like he hasn't said that Obamacare was the worst thing since
slavery... or did Obama say that, too?

> "You know Obamacare is really I think the worst thing that has happened
> in this nation since slavery," Carson, who is African American, said
> Friday in remarks at the Values Voter Summit in Washington. "And it is
> in a way, it is slavery in a way, because it is making all of us
> subservient to the government, and it was never about health care.

So... yeah. The guy who thinks the Pyramids were built as grain silo's
is treated differently than Obama - and with good reason. He's a nut.

trotsky

Mar 9, 2017, 7:39:25 AM3/9/17
LOL! Your bullshit excuse is you were on topic? That's the most
laughable Thannyism yet! Even RichA hasn't tried that one. LOL.

Ubiquitous

Mar 9, 2017, 7:46:44 AM3/9/17
11 Times Barack Obama Compared Slaves To Immigrants
By Bre Payton

This week, liberals savagely mocked Housing and Urban Development Secretary Ben Carson for allegedly comparing slaves to immigrants. It looks like they’ve completely forgotten about all the times Barack Obama did the exact same thing.

While speaking to a group of employees at his department on Monday, Carson said: “There were other immigrants who came in the bottom of slave ships, who worked even longer, even harder, for less, but they too had a dream that one day their sons, daughters, grandsons, granddaughters, great grandsons, great granddaughters might pursue prosperity and happiness in this land.”

His comment quickly ignited a firestorm among critics.

Immigrants??? https://t.co/f0RH7iXBrn
— NAACP (@NAACP) March 6, 2017

Ben Carson is also the guy who once compared Obamacare to slavery.
I'm starting to think he may not understand the word "slavery."
https://t.co/82PJcUC7Vg
— Keith Boykin (@keithboykin) March 6, 2017

The funny thing is, Obama has made very similar comments numerous times in the past. Here are eleven of them.

1. At a Naturalization Ceremony in 2015

While addressing a crowd at the National Archives and Records Administration in 2015, Obama said this.

Lots of nastiness directed @RealBenCarson – but in 2015 President Obama
also referred to the slaves as immigrants https://t.co/0sinrwgQs3
pic.twitter.com/OSzfbrweHb
— Charlie Spiering (@charliespiering) March 7, 2017

2. At a Naturalization Ceremony Three Years Earlier

In a speech at a naturalization ceremony in 2012, then-President Obama said this about slave ships:

We say it so often, we sometimes forget what it means — we are a nation
of immigrants. Unless you are one of the first Americans, a Native
American, we are all descended from folks who came from someplace else —
whether they arrived on the Mayflower or on a slave ship, whether they
came through Ellis Island or crossed the Rio Grande.

It’s a line he has used often in his speeches throughout his tenure in office, with slight variations.

3. At A DNC Event on April 28, 2011

Obama had this to say while addressing a crowd at an event hosted by the Democratic National Committee on April 28:

I want a confident America where, yes, everybody makes sacrifices, but
nobody bears all the burden, and we live up to the idea that no matter
who we are, no matter what we look like, no matter whether our ancestors
landed on Ellis Island or came here on a slave ship or crossed the Rio
Grande, we are all connected to one another. We rise and fall together.

4. At Commencement Speech One Day Later

While delivering a commencement speech at Miami-Dade College April 29, 2011, Obama repeated the line above, but with a bit of a twist:

We didn’t raise the Statue of Liberty with its back to the world; we
raised it with its light to the world. Whether your ancestors came
here on the Mayflower or a slave ship; whether they signed in at Ellis
Island or they crossed the Rio Grande — we are one people.

5. At a DNC Event in Harlem, March 29, 2011

Then-President Obama said:

And so what we wanted to do was adapt to the times, adapt to the 21st
century, but also remind ourselves that there are some old-fashioned,
timeworn values; that whether your forebears landed at Ellis Island or
they came here on a slave ship or they crossed the Rio Grande, or
however they got here, they typically had a commitment to hard work and
a commitment to community and a commitment to family and a willingness
to dream big dreams, and a patriotism that was not rooted in ethnicity
but was rooted in a creed and a set of ideals and a belief that in
America anything was possible.

6. At Another DNC event in California, April 22, 2011

Obama said:

My vision is for one where we’re living within our means but we’re still
investing in our future, and everybody is making sacrifices and nobody
bears all the burden, and we live up to the idea that no matter what you
look like or where you come from, whether you landed here — your
ancestors landed here on Ellis Island or they came here on a slave ship,
or they just came over the Rio Grande, that we are all connected to one
another and we all rise and fall together.

7. Another DNC Event in Austin, Texas on May 10, 2011

He said:

That’s our vision of America. It’s not a vision of a small America.
It’s a vision of a big America, a bold and optimistic America, an
America that does big things. It’s a vision where we’re living within
our means but we’re still investing in our future; where everybody is
making sacrifices, but nobody alone bears all the burden; where we live
up to the idea that no matter who you — what you look like, or who you
are, no matter whether your ancestors landed on Ellis Island or came
over here on a slave ship or crossed the Rio Grande, that we’re all
connected to one another, and that we rise or fall together.

8. Another DNC Event in Boston, Eight Days Later

Obama said:

No matter what we look like, where we come from, what God we worship to,
no matter whether our ancestors landed on Ellis Island or came here on
a slave ship or crossed the Rio Grande, we believe that we are all
connected and we rise and fall together. And that is a strength. That
is the strength of America. That’s the heart of the idea of America.
That’s the heart of the idea of our campaign.

9. Another DNC Event in Philadelphia, June 30, 2011

Obama said:

And the good news is that America is possible — an America where we’re
living within our means, but we’re still investing in the future.
That’s possible. Where everybody is making sacrifices, but nobody bears
all the burden by themselves. The idea that no matter what we look like
or who we are, no matter whether our ancestors came from Ellis Island
or on a slave ship, or across the Rio Grande, that we are all connected
to one another, and that we rise and fall together.

10. At a Gala for the Congressional Hispanic Caucus, September 2011

At the Washington D.C. event, Obama said this:

It’s a vision where we live within our means, but we invest in our
future; where everybody makes sacrifices, but nobody has to bear the
burden alone, and everybody shares in our success; where we live up to
the idea that no matter what you look like, no matter where you come
from, no matter what your surname — whether your ancestors landed at
Ellis Island, or came over on a slave ship, or crossed the Rio Grande —
we are all connected, and we all rise and fall together.

11. And at a Forum on American Latino Heritage, October 2011

While addressing a crowd at the Department of the Interior in Washington DC, Obama said:

And here in America, we are united by more than the color of our skin
or the language that we speak. We are joined together by a shared
creed, a shared set of values. We’re connected by the future we want
for ourselves and our children. And we determine our own destiny here.
Whether your ancestors came from a — came over on a slave ship, or
crossed the Rio Grande, or were here long before the country was
founded, we’re in this together. And we have the opportunity right now
to determine our own destiny.

Next time progressives decide to skewer a Republican for saying something, it would behoove them see if President Obama has said the exact same thing. Or, at least, stop pretending not to know what Ben Carson is talking about.

--
Barbra Streisand says Trump-caused stress is making her fat. No word
yet on what's making her stupid.

FPP

Mar 9, 2017, 8:34:24 AM3/9/17
On 2017-03-09 02:56:50 +0000, Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net> said:

> 11 Times Barack Obama Compared Slaves To Immigrants
> By Bre Payton

Bullshit.

Just mentioning slavery and immigrants in the same speech isn't
"comparing slaves to immigrants".

One such example:
> No matter what we look like, where we come from, what God we worship to,
> no matter whether our ancestors landed on Ellis Island or came here on
> a slave ship or crossed the Rio Grande, we believe that we are all
> connected and we rise and fall together. And that is a strength. That
> is the strength of America. That’s the heart of the idea of America.
> That’s the heart of the idea of our campaign.

No comparison was made comparing slavery to immigration.

How stupid are you? (Trick question, I know.)

BTR1701

Mar 9, 2017, 1:19:52 PM3/9/17
FPP <fred...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2017-03-09 02:56:49 +0000, BTR1701 <atr...@mac.com> said:
>
>> In article <o9pbma$2iq$1...@dont-email.me>,
>> "Adam H. Kerman" <a...@chinet.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I hate to agree with that blithering idiot FPP, but I have a vague
>>> recollection of finding that Obama speech off putting. He was speaking
>>> at a naturalization ceremony.
>>
>> My point isn't whether it's appropriate to refer to slaves as immigrants
>> or not, or who was more or less offensive in their respective speeches
>> on the topic, but merely to point out the difference in the reaction to
>> what were essentially the same comments.
>
> Maybe it's the accumulation of stupid comments that makes Carson's a
> little more memorable.

Nope. I get that it's your typical go-to schtick to bring completely
unrelated crap into a discussion when you find yourself boxed into a
corner, but that only works when you can find someone stupid enough to let
you get away with it.

Whatever loony comments Carson has made in the past have jack-all to do
with the celebrity reaction to his slavery comment, nor do they have
anything to do with the very different reaction Obama's same slavery
comments received from the celebrity "intelligentsia".

BTR1701

Mar 9, 2017, 1:19:52 PM3/9/17
Trotsky the Land Whale: "Stop posting TV-related stuff this TV newsgroup
and talk about the off-topic crap I'm obsessed with!"

Adam H. Kerman

Mar 9, 2017, 1:39:01 PM3/9/17
I will acknowledge that there's a difference between phrasing something
awkwardly and making a rude observation. I know what Carson and Obama
were getting at. I wouldn't have said it that way myself but the
point they were trying to make is clear.

As Carson is stealing from Obama, I'm gonna steal from obveeus to
describe the situation:

Those celebrities were pre-outraged, desperate to find something to vent at.
Their outrage attached itself to Carson's relatively innocuous remarks.

BTR1701

Mar 9, 2017, 2:14:01 PM3/9/17
Exactly. They're already generally outraged that Trump won, so they're
primed to jump on anything a Trump lackey says, regardless if the
Lightbringer (or any other prog) has said the same thing.

trotsky

Mar 9, 2017, 2:43:19 PM3/9/17
Let me be more clear: this is politics related you lying, fatuous fuck.

I get it though, you can't best me in logical discussion so now your
plan is to go all Sarah Palin on me. Makes sense in an insane sort of way.

trotsky

Mar 9, 2017, 2:49:04 PM3/9/17
Agreed, which is why we shouldn't be criticizing Trumpcare, right? You
are so fucking stupid.

moviePig

Mar 9, 2017, 2:59:00 PM3/9/17
Sort of like how Hillary-haters claim their outrage justified their
electing a bowl of borscht...

But, although the invidious slave-to-immigrant comparison was always
lurking near the surface in both speeches, Obama's prose (typically)
took particular pains to step around it -- while still trying for the
immigrant/slave "common ground" that he wanted to show. However,
Carson's use of the same dicey metaphor is made safe mainly by Obama's
prior use of it -- even though they both meant the same idea. I.e., own
its own, Carson's rhetoric, though not actually benighted upon even
modest inspection, is still somewhat clumsy. He bears some
responsibility for the overreaction.

David Johnston

Mar 9, 2017, 4:05:21 PM3/9/17
Mentioning slaves and immigrants in the same paragraph or sentence is
not the same thing as saying slaves were immigrants.

Adam H. Kerman

Mar 9, 2017, 4:17:19 PM3/9/17
David Johnston <davidjo...@block.com> wrote:

>Mentioning slaves and immigrants in the same paragraph or sentence is
>not the same thing as saying slaves were immigrants.

Isn't it? I provided the Obama quote several articles back. It's only
slightly less awkwardly phrased than the Carson quote was. Carson's quote
wasn't awkwardly phrased at all if it was cynical.

There's no way to excuse this shit, and you don't need to play the role
of moviePig lite on Usenet, Johnston, given that you have your own schtick.

FPP

Mar 9, 2017, 6:04:55 PM3/9/17
Well, that's one asshole's opinion.

Another's is that when somebody does something stupid, over and over
and over again - it isn't a mistake, it's a pattern.

FPP

Mar 9, 2017, 6:06:10 PM3/9/17
Are you actually making the case that Trump and his lackeys don't
deserve the reaction they're getting?

BTR1701

Mar 9, 2017, 8:15:04 PM3/9/17
In article <o9smvm$jph$2...@dont-email.me>, FPP <fred...@gmail.com>
I'm making the case that hypocrisy is never justified.

FPP

Mar 10, 2017, 3:14:42 AM3/10/17
And yet, you illustrate the opposite case repeatedly...

trotsky

Mar 10, 2017, 7:47:17 AM3/10/17
Are you trying to sum up Thanny's life in a nutshell again?

trotsky

Mar 10, 2017, 7:52:53 AM3/10/17
Except at your house, where size never matters?

FPP

Mar 10, 2017, 8:32:08 AM3/10/17
On 2017-03-10 01:16:35 +0000, BTR1701 <atr...@mac.com> said:

> I'm making the case that hypocrisy is never justified.

That has got to be THE fucking funniest thing you've EVER said! Well done!

> Subject: Obama Openly Encourges Illegal Alien Voting
>
> On 2016-11-07 03:50:05 +0000, BTR1701 <addre...@invalid.invalid> said:
>
>> Not even hiding it anymore.
>>
>> https://m.youtube.com/watch?ebc=ANyPxKpmZ2OV3uRqnUpS10jHHfdxKrSI_NRj-pEjKmtjwrBLD_TnPdqEoA3bfOdF6g7EoaLme9SzZYzXGaPASltI0lOFH83wSQ&v=7R_aT6ucGNQ

Fact

Check: In an interview aimed at a millennial audience, President Obama
encouraged Latino citizens to vote. He did not urge undocumented
immigrants to vote.

CLAIM: President Obama encouraged "illegal aliens" to vote and said
there would be no consequences if they do.
VERDICT: False.

The claim originates from an interview with Obama published on 3
November 2016, in which millennial actress Gina Rodriguez asked the
president about a number of issues facing young Latinos. Many of the
outrage posts were written around a video in which the majority of the
president's response was edited out to give the misleading impression
that Obama was urging undocumented immigrants to vote illegally.

Yes... you SURE are "making the case that hypocrisy is never
justified." And then you doubled down on your debunked claim:

> On 2016-11-08 03:54:00 +0000, BTR1701 <addre...@invalid.invalid> said:
>
>> Nope. She asked whether illegals who voted would be prosecuted and he
>> said nope.

Well done, sir! Not only are you a hypocrite, but you're an unabashed
hypocrite.

FPP

Mar 10, 2017, 6:52:47 PM3/10/17
On 2017-03-09 20:16:35 -0500, BTR1701 <atr...@mac.com> said:

> I'm making the case that hypocrisy is never justified.

O Great Hater of Hypocrisy... care to comment? Or isn't this
hypocritical enough to trigger your keen sense of hypocrisy?

Either that, or you're just lying about your position on hypocrisy.

> Touting the first jobs report of Donald Trump’s tenure, White House
> press secretary Sean Spicer claimed without evidence Friday that the
> jobs figures “may have been phony in the past, but it’s very real now.”
>
> Spicer, addressing reporters at the afternoon briefing, did not back up
> the assertion that previous federal jobs reports were “phony,” as Trump
> repeatedly said during the campaign without backing up the claim. But
> Spicer nonetheless confirmed that the president believes the figures
> are legitimate now that they signal economic growth under his
> administration.
>
> “In the past, the president has referred to particular job reports as
> phony or totally fiction,” a reporter asked. “Does the president
> believe that this jobs report was accurate and a fair way to measure
> the economy?”
>
> “I talked to the president prior to this, and he said to quote him very
> clearly,” Spicer said. “They may have been phony in the past, but it’s
> very real now.”
>
> http://www.politico.com/story/2017/03/trump-monthly-jobs-numbers-sean-spicer-235936

I'll

bet he thinks the Unemployment numbers are real now, too...

FPP

Mar 10, 2017, 6:56:15 PM3/10/17
On 2017-03-09 20:16:35 -0500, BTR1701 <atr...@mac.com> said:

> I'm making the case that hypocrisy is never justified.

Oh, this one's a fucking 14 kt Gold KEEPER! THE Gold standard, in fact!

I see oodles of replies coming down in the ensuing months and years ahead...

trotsky

Mar 11, 2017, 6:35:46 AM3/11/17
On 3/10/17 5:52 PM, FPP wrote:
> On 2017-03-09 20:16:35 -0500, BTR1701 <atr...@mac.com> said:
>
>> I'm making the case that hypocrisy is never justified.
>
> O Great Hater of Hypocrisy... care to comment? Or isn't this
> hypocritical enough to trigger your keen sense of hypocrisy?

Leave him alone. Just because as a failed lawyer it's hypocritical for
him to say "I'm making the case..."

Oh, I don't really have an ending for that sentence.