Is SNL close to DOA??

M.Glazier

Nov 2, 2003, 8:02:30 AM11/2/03
Sure I know the show died many years back but are we FINALLY close to
shutting this thing down?? (I hope I hope I hope)

Past GOOD cast members have to be highly upset that what they took years to
build will be killed in a few of this year's episodes.

I used to look forward to this show..now I look forward to missing it
entirely.

I'll stick to Comedy Central's 'classic' reruns.

-------------------------------
Great Holiday Decorations at Great Prices!
http://www.holidaytyme.com
-------------------------------

David Johnson

Nov 2, 2003, 9:43:30 AM11/2/03
There have been many times when I felt SNL should hang it up, but
evidently, NBC is treating this show as one of their "brand-name"
institutions like "Today" or "Tonight". These series began a L-O-N-G
time ago and aren't going anywhere. Rather, they just keep getting new
regulars and the older ones eventually move on to other things.

The original band of regulars--Ackroyd, Belushi, Gilda, Chevy et.
al.--all grew up in the same time frame I and many others did, and
performed in skits we could appreciate because we "got" what they were
joking about. Plus, no one ever attempted a series like this before,
and most folks were wowed by it.

The problem with it is that now it seems to be reaching out too far for
"shock" value since the bar has been raised much higher now for what
late-night TV can get away with, than it was in the mid-'70s, or there
just aren't as many creative juices flowing as there were when all those
great old bits were being honed to perfection. And frankly, I am sick
of the same old tired cheap shots the same three or four celebrity
"targets" we hear about over and over keep getting thrown at them,
including those from Jay and Conan.

SNL is something of an unusual case, unlike "Today" which is
news-and-event driven, or "Tonight" which remains an important proving
ground for new young comics and music groups, if nothing else. By
comparison, SNL *could* be suseptible one day to plummeting ratings that
could spell its end, since its only purpose is comedic entertainment and
many arguments have surfaced that its best days are behind it. But for
the time being, perhaps the best way to look at this show is that it
actually has something in common with "Barney and Friends": There comes
a point in everyone's life when you simply outgrow it and stop watching,
while other younger viewers come aboard and watch with the same
fascination that the older counterparts once did.

--David Johnson

Ken

Nov 2, 2003, 12:54:56 PM11/2/03

"M.Glazier" <mgla...@buccaneers.com> wrote in message

> Sure I know the show died many years back but are we FINALLY close to
> shutting this thing down?? (I hope I hope I hope)

Please!?!!!

> Past GOOD cast members have to be highly upset that what they took years
> build will be killed in a few of this year's episodes.
>
> I used to look forward to this show..now I look forward to missing it
> entirely.
>
> I'll stick to Comedy Central's 'classic' reruns.

Pert near anything other than the current generation, and by "generation", I
guess I have to define an SNL generation by who's hosting Weekend Update:
Chevy Chase, Jane Curtin and Dan Ackroyd?, Brad Hall, Charles Rocket,
Christopher Guest, Dennis Miller, Kevin Nealon, Norm MacDonald, Colin Quinn,
Tina Fey and Chris Fallon.

The Charles Rocket generation was probably the worst, while the one-season
Christopher Guest generation (with SCTV's Martin Short and SOAP's Bill
Crystal, and a skinny Randy Quaid) was an acquired taste that I rarely
acquired.

My personal fave was the Dennis Miller run, possibly because I was too young
for the "Not Ready For Prime-Time Players" and plus it had the funniest and
most versatile post-NRFPTP male performer and female performers: Phil
Hartman and Jan Hooks, to say nothing of the funniest WU host: Dennis
Miller.

> -------------------------------
> Great Holiday Decorations at Great Prices!
> http://www.holidaytyme.com
> -------------------------------

-- Ken from Chicago

P.S. I used to fantasize Phil Hartman would get to guest-host the show and
do a skit as Bill Clinton being interviewed by Darrell Hammond as Phil
Donahue, getting miffed about "Donahue"'s complaints and saying if he
thought the job was so easy why didn't he do, resulting in Hammond micking
Donahue micking Clinton and Hartman mimicking Clinton mimicking Donahue. The
bonus would have been that visually both are white-haired guys in suits with
one wearing glasses and the other not. And then the end of May 1998 arrived

mzmeryze

Nov 2, 2003, 1:24:40 PM11/2/03
On Sun, 02 Nov 2003 13:02:30 GMT, "M.Glazier"
<mgla...@buccaneers.com> wrote:

>Sure I know the show died many years back but are we FINALLY close to
>shutting this thing down?? (I hope I hope I hope)
>
>Past GOOD cast members have to be highly upset that what they took years to
>build will be killed in a few of this year's episodes.
>
>I used to look forward to this show..now I look forward to missing it
>entirely.

Still watching it, huh? : )

Melman Bus Lines

Nov 2, 2003, 2:05:42 PM11/2/03
"M.Glazier" wrote:
> Sure I know the show died many years back but are we FINALLY close to
> shutting this thing down?? (I hope I hope I hope)
>
> Past GOOD cast members have to be highly upset that what they took years to
> build will be killed in a few of this year's episodes.
>
> I used to look forward to this show..now I look forward to missing it
> entirely.

I said that after Billy Crystal left in about 1985, and except for
occasional episodes in the the Phil Hartman / Dennis Miller / etc.
years I haven't been wrong.

Phil from Chicago

Nov 2, 2003, 3:57:21 PM11/2/03
>Sure I know the show died many years back but are we FINALLY close to
>shutting this thing down?? (I hope I hope I hope)

absolutely not. SNL has had some very good years and some very bad years but
as many problems as this show has now, the weekend update being it's #1 flaw at
the moment there's no way this show is going to end anytime soon.

>Past GOOD cast members have to be highly upset that what they took years to
>build will be killed in a few of this year's episodes.

they're all millionaires now and have moved way past SNL. I'm sure they have a
sense of loyalty but in all honesty they might not even give a crap

>I used to look forward to this show..now I look forward to missing it
>entirely.
>
>I'll stick to Comedy Central's 'classic' reruns.

or if you choose to stay up really late on Saturday Night/Sunday Morning you'll
see selected SNL's from different time periods.

Phil is RAT's Pro Wrestling Ambassador

Homer's travel plans: "I want to shoot a lion in the face, box Muhammad Ali and
ride in a convertible with 2 happy zebras"

Alex Cain

Nov 2, 2003, 3:27:27 PM11/2/03
god I sure hope so

Templeton Peck

Nov 2, 2003, 4:56:16 PM11/2/03

"M.Glazier" <mgla...@buccaneers.com> wrote in message
> Sure I know the show died many years back but are we FINALLY close to
> shutting this thing down?? (I hope I hope I hope)
>
> Past GOOD cast members have to be highly upset that what they took years
> build will be killed in a few of this year's episodes.
>
> I used to look forward to this show..now I look forward to missing it
> entirely.
>
> I'll stick to Comedy Central's 'classic' reruns.

I still watch every now and then. Depends on the guest host/musical act
mostly. When I do I find it funny at times.

-TemPeck

Milhouse Van Houten

Nov 2, 2003, 6:25:36 PM11/2/03
They could easily fixing it by shortening it to an hour (but keeping the
musical act doing two numbers as is) and concentrating on satirical
material, specifically celebrities and current events. They should entirely
drop sketches that diverge from this, such as the one last night where the
woman could talk to dogs.

Templeton Peck

Nov 2, 2003, 11:43:18 PM11/2/03

"M.Glazier" <mgla...@buccaneers.com> wrote in message
> Sure I know the show died many years back but are we FINALLY close to
> shutting this thing down?? (I hope I hope I hope)
>
> Past GOOD cast members have to be highly upset that what they took years
> build will be killed in a few of this year's episodes.
>
> I used to look forward to this show..now I look forward to missing it
> entirely.
>
> I'll stick to Comedy Central's 'classic' reruns.

If they did cancel SNL it would be great if they ran 90 mins of SCTV. I know
it would never happen, but I can dream.

-TemPeck

SmkMirrors

Nov 3, 2003, 12:26:57 AM11/3/03
>If they did cancel SNL it would be great if they ran 90 mins of SCTV. I know
>it would never happen, but I can dream.

I'd watch!

A new SCTV might be cool.

Dgates

Nov 3, 2003, 1:35:50 AM11/3/03
On Mon, 03 Nov 2003 04:43:18 GMT, "Templeton Peck"
<chestro...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>"M.Glazier" <mgla...@buccaneers.com> wrote in message
>> Sure I know the show died many years back but are we FINALLY close to
>> shutting this thing down?? (I hope I hope I hope)
>>
>> Past GOOD cast members have to be highly upset that what they took years
>> build will be killed in a few of this year's episodes.
>>
>> I used to look forward to this show..now I look forward to missing it
>> entirely.
>>
>> I'll stick to Comedy Central's 'classic' reruns.

It seems like every time the cast changes, a couple new stars bubble
up out of nowhere and suddenly the show is good again. Long past the
original "glory days" with Chevy Chase, et al, we had the cast that
appeared in "Quentin Tarantino's Welcome Back Kotter."

If I recall, the cast was something like...

Mike Myers: Kotter
Janeane Garofalo: Mrs. Kotter

Chris Farley: Gunman #1
Chris Elliot?: Gunman #2

John Travolta: Barbarino
David Spade: Horshack
Adam Sandler: Epstein
Tim Meadows?: Washington

Michael McKean: Lenny

And even this was well after the previous "hey day" ("hay day?") with
Jon Lovitz, Dennis Miller, Dana Carvey, Kevin Nealon and Chris Rock...

Am I lumping the wrong people together?

Damn, this would sure be a lot easier if I were looking at a web page
that listed all the various SNL casts.
--
dga...@spamfreelinkline.com

me

Nov 6, 2003, 5:23:48 PM11/6/03
"Milhouse Van Houten" <bt...@myrealbox.com> wrote in message

I could be wrong, but wasn't that skit satirizing those pet psychics? Not
having ever seen any of the real shows, I'm not sure.

Barry Margolin

Nov 6, 2003, 8:07:31 PM11/6/03
In article <3faacf86$0$8937$9bdb89d3@newsa>, "me" <nos...@nospam.com>
wrote:

They weren't talking or mind-reading. They were just advertising an
animal shelter where people can get pets from. They praised all the
animals there except that one cute dog; they treated it like an
acquaintance who had wronged them, calling it names like "douchebag".
The "joke" is that one would not normally have this type of attitude
towards an animal.

--
Barry Margolin, bar...@alum.mit.edu
Level(3) Communications, Woburn, MA

Shawn H

Nov 11, 2003, 8:54:47 PM11/11/03
: wrote:

:> I could be wrong, but wasn't that skit satirizing those pet psychics? Not

:> having ever seen any of the real shows, I'm not sure.

: They weren't talking or mind-reading. They were just advertising an
: animal shelter where people can get pets from. They praised all the
: animals there except that one cute dog; they treated it like an
: acquaintance who had wronged them, calling it names like "douchebag".
: The "joke" is that one would not normally have this type of attitude
: towards an animal.

And that it was like the cutest puppy ever.

Shawn