Today's premieres and other notes (Sunday, Oct. 1)

Robin Miller

Oct 1, 2017, 1:02:19 PM10/1/17

Vampirina [new] (11 am, Disney Channel)

Animated series. Set in a Pennsylvania neighborhood, the series stars
Lauren Graham, James Van Der Beek and Isabella Crovetti as the Hauntley
family, friendly vampires who have recently moved from their home in
Transylvania. The stories follow Vampirina (aka "Vee") as she faces the
joys and trials of being the new kid in town including making friends
and attending a new school in the human world. Along the way, Vee learns
that it may be easier to blend in with her peers, but it's more valuable
to celebrate the qualities that make each individual unique.

The Toy Box (season 2 premiere) (7 pm, ABC)

Bob's Burgers (season 8 premiere) (7:30 pm, Fox)

This eighth season will feature an hour-long holiday musical episode as
well as an episode completely animated by fans.

Shark Tank (season 9 premiere) (8 and 9 pm, two
episodes, ABC)

The Simpsons (season 29 premiere) (8 pm, Fox)

Wisdom of the Crowd [new] (8:30 pm, CBS)

Based on an Israeli series, Silicon Valley tech guru Jeffrey Tanner
(Jeremy Piven) creates a crowd-sourcing app to solve his daughter's
murder with the help of Det. Tommy Cavanaugh (Richard T. Jones), head
programmer Josh Novak (Blake Lee), manager Sara Morton (Natalia Tena),
and techie Tariq Bakari (Jake Matthews)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKkruci0aio

http://www.metacritic.com/tv/wisdom-of-the-crowd [Metacritic score 38]

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt6522758/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wisdom_of_the_Crowd

http://www.cbs.com/shows/wisdom-of-the-crowd/

Ghosted [new] (8:30 pm, Fox)

From TV newcomer Tom Gormican (That Awkward Moment) comes a sort of
comedic take on the X-Files formula—yes, on the same network that
actually airs The X-Files. A skeptic (Craig Robinson) is paired with a
brilliant true believer (Adam Scott) by a secret government agency to
investigate paranormal activity in Los Angeles, uncovering a much
larger, world-threatening mystery in the process. Ally Walker and Amber
Stevens West (The Carmichael Show) also star.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubbjVowDuys

http://www.metacritic.com/tv/ghosted [Metacritic score 63]

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt6053538/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghosted_(TV_series)

https://www.fox.com/ghosted/

Extinct [new] (9 and 9:52 pm, two episodes, BYUtv)

Starring Chad Michael Collins (Sniper), Victoria Atkin (Assassin's
Creed: Syndicate) and Yorke Fryer (How to Get Away with Murder), this
10-episode sci-fi series will air beginning with the first two episodes
on Sunday, October 1 at 9pm ET/7pm MT. In Extinct, 400 years after the
extinction of humankind by evil aliens called the Kariks, a colony of
revived humans, the Reborns, attempt to understand and trust a group of
mysterious, peaceful and highly advanced aliens known as the Originators
who brought them back to life. The Reborns are guided by Drones who are
the face and voice of the Originators. They guide and protect the
Reborns throughout their fight against the Kariks, and the parasitic
Skin Riders who take control of a "host" or person's cognitive
abilities, to restore the human race and end the alien threat that drove
mankind to extinction.

http://www.sltrib.com/artsliving/tv/2017/09/29/tv-review-byutvs-sci-fi-series-extinct-falls-flat/

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/865689832/BYUtv-goes-post-apocalyptic-with-new-series-Extinct-with-help-from-Orson-Scott-Card.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ws6HoEkKpWQ

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5926494/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extinct_(2017_TV_series)

https://www.facebook.com/ExtinctTelevision/

Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown (season 10 premiere) (9 pm, CNN)

Preceded by a special at 8 pm.

Family Guy (season 15 premiere) (9 pm, Fox)

Poldark (season 3 premiere) (9-11 pm, PBS)

Two-hour episode.

The Last Man on Earth (season 4 premiere) (9:30 pm, Fox)

NCIS: Los Angeles (season 9 premiere) (9:30 pm, CBS)

The ninth season of the NCIS spinoff introduces new Executive Assistant
Director, Shay Mosely (Nia Long).

Ten Days in the Valley [new] (10 pm, ABC)

Ordered straight to series last August, this 10-episode thriller from
Tassie Cameron (Rookie Blue) stars Kyra Sedgwick as an overworked
producer of a controversial TV show and mother in the middle of
separating from her husband. When her young daughter goes missing in the
middle of the night, her work and personal lives implode. Joining
Sedgwick (who takes over for the originally cast Demi Moore) in the cast
are Erika Christensen and Malcolm-Jamal Warner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbQLFRVuDk8

http://www.metacritic.com/tv/ten-days-in-the-valley [Metacritic
score 66]

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt6461706/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ten_Days_in_the_Valley

http://abc.go.com/shows/ten-days-in-the-valley

Curb Your Enthusiasm (season 9 premiere; revival)
(10 pm, HBO)

The Larry David comedy returns with its first new episodes since 2011.
Expect guest appearances from Bryan Cranston, Nick Offerman, Jimmy
Kimmel, Lauren Graham, Elizabeth Banks, Carrie Brownstein, Elizabeth
Perkins, Ed Begley, Jr., and Nasim Pedrad (plus familiar faces like Ted
Danson, Mary Steenburgen, Richard Lewis, and Bob Einstein).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUFBEamEF0Q

http://www.hbo.com/curb-your-enthusiasm

This is Life with Lisa Ling (season 4 premiere) (10 pm, CNN)

In the eight-part investigative docuseries, award-winning journalist and
author Lisa Ling travels across America immersing herself in communities
that are unusual, extraordinary and sometimes dangerous.

StarTalk With Neil deGrasse Tyson (season 4 premiere)
(11 pm, Nat Geo)

Cable reality:

Criminal Confessions [new] (7 pm, Oxygen)

From Executive Producer Dick Wolf and Shed Media, the series delves
into the psychological showdown that transpires inside actual police
interrogation rooms between investigators and suspects and dissects what
it takes to yield a confession. Each hour-long episode takes viewers
through the emotional twists and turns of a real homicide case from the
911 call to the crime scene and leading up to the interrogation room
where detectives corner their prime suspect. The police officers and
detectives will walk us through their strategy while interviews with the
suspects' and victims' friends and family shed light on the
heartbreaking details, taking viewers on an emotional journey with the
hope of finding justice. In every case, the interrogating officer will
"break" the suspect and get a shocking reveal of what led to the
atrocious crime.

http://www.oxygen.com/criminal-confessions

Hawaii Life (season 10 premiere) (8 and 8:30 pm, two
episodes, HGTV)

Alaska: The Last Frontier (season 7) (9 pm, Discovery Channel)

Halloween Wars (season 7) (9 pm, Food Network)

Preceded by a special at 8 pm.

Keeping Up with the Kardashians (season 14) (9 pm, E!)

Tomorrow's advance notes:

Lucifer (season 3 premiere) (8 pm, Fox)

Tom Welling joins the cast as Marcus Pierce.

9JKL [new] (8:30 pm, CBS)

Actor Mark Feuerstein (Royal Pains) is the creator (along with his wife
Dana Klein) and star of this semi-autobiographical sitcom about a man
who finds himself living in an apartment adjacent to one occupied by his
parents (on one side) and another by his brother, sister-in-law, and
their baby (on the other side). The multi-camera comedy also stars Linda
Lavin, David Walton, Liza Lapira, Elliot Gould, and Matt Murray.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPYegZi4R8E

http://www.metacritic.com/tv/9jkl

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt6461794/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9JKL

http://www.cbs.com/shows/9jkl/

Penn & Teller: Fool Us (season 4 finale; special night) (9
pm, CW)

Family Time (season 5 premiere) (9 pm, Bounce TV)

The Gifted [new] (9 pm, Fox)

With the help of an underground network of mutants, Caitlin and Reed
Strucker (Amy Acker and Stephen Moyer) go on the run from the government
with their children (Natalie Alyn Lind and Percy Hynes White) after they
display their mutant powers in the X-Men-based series from Matt Nix.
Also stars Blair Redford as Thunderbird /John Proudstar, Coby Bell as
Jace Turner, Emma Dumont as Polaris /Lorna Dane, Jamie Chung as Blink
/Clarice Fong, and Sean Teale as Eclipse/Marcos Diaz.

http://www.metacritic.com/tv/the-gifted [Metacritic score 62]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSvX-azZmG4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyScVAJxKYc

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4396630/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gifted_(TV_series)

https://www.fox.com/the-gifted/

Grown Folks [new] (9:30 pm, Bounce TV)

From the creator of Family Time and In The Cut, Bentley Kyle Evans,
comes Grown Folks, a half-hour situation comedy about two blue-collar
couples who share a duplex while navigating life, marriage and
friendship. Grown Folks stars Gary "G Thang" Johnson (Disaster Movie,
Moneyball) as a frugal skycap for an international airline, Tracey
Cherelle Jones (Don't Be a Menace to South Central, The Players Club,
Baby Boy) as his wife Jillian who's a pragmatic social worker, Jay
Phillips (Semi-Pro, Baby Mama, Prom Night) as zany plumber James and
Caryn Ward Ross (The Game, You Take the Kids) as Jay's stay-at-home wife
Brenda. In Honeymooners-esque fashion, the couples deal with all the
issues of life in hilarious ways.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt7401428/

http://www.bouncetv.com/shows/grown-folks/

The Halcyon [new to US] (10 pm, Ovation)

The 8-episode series, originally broadcast in the UK by ITV earlier this
year, is the story of a bustling and glamorous luxury hotel at the
center of London society. Set in 1940, The Halcyon shows London life
through the prism of war and the impact it has on families, politics,
relationships and work across every social strata - set to a soundtrack
of the music of the era. Through hope, heartache, challenges and chaos,
the staff, owner and guests of The Halcyon are a mirror reflection of
the changes occurring in London during one of the most tumultuous times
in the city's history. The Halcyon cast includes Steven Mackintosh
(Luther), Olivia Williams (Anna Karenina), Hermione Corfield (King
Arthur: Legend of the Sword) and Matt Ryan (Constantine). Cancelled
after this one season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7qapOfFxsI

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/tv/2017/02/20/halcyon-complete-hokum-deserves-another-series-episode-8-review/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5808318/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Halcyon

http://ovationtv.com/thehalcyon/

City of Ghosts (documentary) (10 pm to midnight, A&E)

Captivating in its immediacy, City of Ghosts follows the journey of
"Raqqa is Being Slaughtered Silently" – a handful of anonymous activists
who banded together after their homeland was taken over by ISIS in 2014.
With astonishing, deeply personal access, this is the story of a brave
group of citizen journalists as they face the realities of life
undercover, on the run, and in exile, risking their lives to stand up
against one of the greatest evils in the world today.

http://www.aetv.com/movies/city-of-ghosts

--Robin

Dimensional Traveler

Oct 1, 2017, 1:25:28 PM10/1/17
On 10/1/2017 10:02 AM, Robin Miller wrote:

> Extinct         [new]           (9 and 9:52 pm, two episodes, BYUtv)
>
> Starring Chad Michael Collins (Sniper), Victoria Atkin (Assassin's
> Creed: Syndicate) and Yorke Fryer (How to Get Away with Murder), this
> 10-episode sci-fi series will air beginning with the first two episodes
> on Sunday, October 1 at 9pm ET/7pm MT. In Extinct, 400 years after the
> extinction of humankind by evil aliens called the Kariks, a colony of
> revived humans, the Reborns, attempt to understand and trust a group of
> mysterious, peaceful and highly advanced aliens known as the Originators
> who brought them back to life. The Reborns are guided by Drones who are
> the face and voice of the Originators. They guide and protect the
> Reborns throughout their fight against the Kariks, and the parasitic
> Skin Riders who take control of a "host" or person's cognitive
> abilities, to restore the human race and end the alien threat that drove
> mankind to extinction.

Just out of curiosity I did a DVR search for this to see if I even got
this BYUtv. I do and this show's genre is listed as "History". Hee hee.

instinct are running screaming.

suzeeq

Oct 1, 2017, 2:29:48 PM10/1/17
Dimensional Traveler wrote:
> On 10/1/2017 10:02 AM, Robin Miller wrote:
>> Extinct        [new]          (9 and 9:52 pm, two episodes, BYUtv)
>>
>> Starring Chad Michael Collins (Sniper), Victoria Atkin (Assassin's
>> Creed: Syndicate) and Yorke Fryer (How to Get Away with Murder), this
>> 10-episode sci-fi series will air beginning with the first two episodes
>> on Sunday, October 1 at 9pm ET/7pm MT. In Extinct, 400 years after the
>> extinction of humankind by evil aliens called the Kariks, a colony of
>> revived humans, the Reborns, attempt to understand and trust a group of
>> mysterious, peaceful and highly advanced aliens known as the Originators
>> who brought them back to life. The Reborns are guided by Drones who are
>> the face and voice of the Originators. They guide and protect the
>> Reborns throughout their fight against the Kariks, and the parasitic
>> Skin Riders who take control of a "host" or person's cognitive
>> abilities, to restore the human race and end the alien threat that drove
>> mankind to extinction.
>>
> Just out of curiosity I did a DVR search for this to see if I even got
> this BYUtv. I do and this show's genre is listed as "History". Hee hee.

You want real LDS history, one of my pbs stations is airin the life of
Joseph Smith before Poldark tonight.

Adam H. Kerman

Oct 1, 2017, 2:53:35 PM10/1/17
suzeeq <su...@imbris.com> wrote:
>Dimensional Traveler wrote:
>>On 10/1/2017 10:02 AM, Robin Miller wrote:
>>>Extinct [new] (9 and 9:52 pm, two episodes, BYUtv)
Land fraud!

Obveeus

Oct 1, 2017, 3:33:43 PM10/1/17
It does seem odd that they are listing this East Coast time when it
probably doesn't air for many people on the East Coast.

'History'? As in future history?

Obveeus

Oct 1, 2017, 3:35:49 PM10/1/17

On 10/1/2017 1:02 PM, Robin Miller wrote:

> Wisdom of the Crowd         [new]       (8:30 pm, CBS)

Will probably sample.

> Extinct         [new]           (9 and 9:52 pm, two episodes, BYUtv)

Will probably sample.

anim8rfsk

Oct 1, 2017, 3:39:57 PM10/1/17
In article <f3clcn...@mid.individual.net>,
So a show about Mormons vs Scientologists, on a college channel that
doesn't even know what the word 'extinct' means.
Lots of Hawai'i themed programs this week. Almost all of which are
'unrecordable'

> Alaska: The Last Frontier (season 7) (9 pm, Discovery Channel)
>

> Halloween Wars (season 7) (9 pm, Food Network)
>
> Preceded by a special at 8 pm.

Thanks for the reminder; I used the Keyword search to find various
Halloween themed programming this week!

> Keeping Up with the Kardashians (season 14) (9 pm, E!)
>

> Tomorrow's advance notes:
>

> Lucifer (season 3 premiere) (8 pm, Fox)
>
> Tom Welling joins the cast as Marcus Pierce.

I love Lucy!
Hey, "keyword" search found AMY ACKER! Cool!
Lots of stuff to record and erase unwatched - thanks,> --Robin

--
Join your old RAT friends at
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1688985234647266/

Obveeus

Oct 1, 2017, 3:40:46 PM10/1/17
I don't want to get any closer to watching LDS history than THE
REVENANT...or maybe SEPTEMBER DAWN.

anim8rfsk

Oct 1, 2017, 3:42:57 PM10/1/17
In article <oqr8e5$emk$1...@dont-email.me>,
my guide doesn't list genres, but I do like the synopsis:

Three humans are reborn under circumstances.

anim8rfsk

Oct 1, 2017, 4:12:15 PM10/1/17
In article <oqrgbr$duq$1...@dont-email.me>, Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com>
wrote:
Oh, come on, Sherlock Holmes A STUDY IN SCARLET.

Obveeus

Oct 1, 2017, 4:19:11 PM10/1/17

On 10/1/2017 4:12 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> In article <oqrgbr$duq$1...@dont-email.me>, Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com>
> wrote:

>>> You want real LDS history, one of my pbs stations is airin the life of
>>> Joseph Smith before Poldark tonight.
>>
>> I don't want to get any closer to watching LDS history than THE
>> REVENANT...or maybe SEPTEMBER DAWN.
>
> Oh, come on, Sherlock Holmes A STUDY IN SCARLET.

A reference right out of the wayback machine, but it has been redone
multiple times more recently (including an episode of ELEMENTARY) so i
suppose it counts even if I have no interest in any of those remakes.

anim8rfsk

Oct 1, 2017, 4:45:09 PM10/1/17
In article <oqrijs$v3r$1...@dont-email.me>, Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com>
Unfortunately SHERLOCK weenied out and dropped the LDS connection.

Obveeus

Oct 1, 2017, 7:02:39 PM10/1/17

On 10/1/2017 1:02 PM, Robin Miller wrote:

> Extinct         [new]           (9 and 9:52 pm, two episodes, BYUtv)

For people without the channel on their cable system, the network can be
streamed over the internet:
https://byutvstage.byu.edu/watch/livetv

suzeeq

Oct 1, 2017, 9:03:20 PM10/1/17
Obveeus wrote:

> On 10/1/2017 2:29 PM, suzeeq wrote:
>> Dimensional Traveler wrote:

>>> Just out of curiosity I did a DVR search for this to see if I even got
>>> this BYUtv. I do and this show's genre is listed as "History". Hee hee.
>>>
>> You want real LDS history, one of my pbs stations is airin the life of
>> Joseph Smith before Poldark tonight.
>
> I don't want to get any closer to watching LDS history than THE
> REVENANT...or maybe SEPTEMBER DAWN.

This is presumably for gentiles, the flock already knows it. Or it's heresy.

Obveeus

Oct 1, 2017, 11:08:25 PM10/1/17
I've now watched the first 2 episodes of EXTINCT. The characters tells
us very clearly that this isn't about God/afterlife/etc... and yet
there is a lot of stuff that is similar in theme.

Side note: eternal september is eating posts again. :-/

suzeeq

Oct 1, 2017, 11:37:27 PM10/1/17
No wonder there's not many posts tonight. Or everyone's watching TV...

Obveeus

Oct 1, 2017, 11:49:52 PM10/1/17
Today was a big night for TV with all the networks airing new season stuff.

suzeeq

Oct 2, 2017, 12:39:14 AM10/2/17
True. I started to watch Ghosted then decided it was too dumb to add to
the list.

Dimensional Traveler

Oct 2, 2017, 12:42:00 AM10/2/17
Which very few of us seemed to think enough of to sample. I've spent
the day watching the first four episodes of Ken Burns' 'The Vietnam
War'. Been working so hard and so many hours my DVR is 2/3rds full.

Adam H. Kerman

Oct 2, 2017, 12:47:18 AM10/2/17
Dimensional Traveler <dtr...@sonic.net> wrote:

>Which very few of us seemed to think enough of to sample. I've spent
>the day watching the first four episodes of Ken Burns' 'The Vietnam
>War'. Been working so hard and so many hours my DVR is 2/3rds full.

You're not showing your tv any love! It may leave you for another viewer.

Dimensional Traveler

Oct 2, 2017, 1:33:48 AM10/2/17
The DVR is down to 55% full, so I showed my TV lots of love today. And
even more by promising it I will never make it show STD to me. :P

anim8rfsk

Oct 2, 2017, 2:19:49 AM10/2/17
In article <oqsaj7$m8j$1...@news.albasani.net>, Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com>
wrote:

> On 10/1/2017 9:03 PM, suzeeq wrote:
> > Obveeus wrote:

> >> I don't want to get any closer to watching LDS history than THE
> >> REVENANT...or maybe SEPTEMBER DAWN.
> >
> > This is presumably for gentiles, the flock already knows it. Or it's
> > heresy.
>
> I've now watched the first 2 episodes of EXTINCT. The characters tells
> us very clearly that this isn't about God/afterlife/etc... and yet
> there is a lot of stuff that is similar in theme.

I'm about half an hour into part one. The cable failed during part two
and I'm glad I won't have to watch it all. It's not only theology, it's
Mormon theology - note that as they're being rebuilt in the water,
they're first rebuilt with Mormon garments, and then a somewhat wetsuit
black outer layer, which seems stupid in over 100 degree temperatures.
The 'actors' seem to be people that from their IMDb credits have only
done video games. The 'writing' is both incredibly derivative and
subpar. Mostly it's a rip off of RIVERWORLD. When the wife stops him
from getting a map until he prayed with their idiot daughter, I wanted
him to backhand her. Remember on BATTLESTAR GALACTICA when Starbuck
died and went to Mormon heaven? This remind you of that? Oh dear God -
they've got the energy weapons from Stargate SG1 (the 'SG' stands for
'Extinct sucks') and all they can think to do is use them as
quarterstaffs? The robot tells him to look 'north' like that's going to
be meaningful. End of part one.

Part 2. They use a different graphic for the cemetery than they did in
part 1, which is stupid. They continue to not ask the droids obvious
questions like "where is there water" which is stupid. Ezra thinks he
can batter down a door with a pipe which is stupid. The sandpeople are
all bundled up against the heat which is stupid. In part one they're
told they're immune to all new diseases; in part two they're told part
oen was wrong, which is stupid. The hidden installation runs on hidden
solar panels hidden elsewhere, which is stupid, and they've lasted 400
years, which is stupid. The idiot wife wants to leave their kid behind
which is stupid. BTW, the actress who plays the idiot wife will play
both LYNN and LYNNN in this, which is stupid. The probably got the idea
from the number of Ls in Jack's name in Stargate SG1 (the 'SG' stands
for STUPID GITS) which is stupid. They have to go to ANOTHER lake
because the sparks were too stupid to get what they needed last time,
which is stupid. The girl has a nosebleed, she must be infected, it
can't be any of another 1000 reasons, which is stupid. The drone takes
them to where the new disease lives and they walk through a sign that
says QUARANTINE which is a big word that means "Come on inside kids,
free ice cream!" which is stupid. The girl decides she'd rather wear
ratty old disease ridden rags than her brand new black wetsuit, which is
stupid. The black guy is a therapist who's diagnosing the white guy as
sleep deprived because ... oh, Hell, because this is stupid. White guy
wants to know how the sparks will know what to do, despite being told by
the droid that she works for the sparks, and that this is the fucking
sparks plan, which is stupid. Our hero is hit by Pepto Bismal gas,
which looks stupid. All the flashbacks are shot in the exact same
forest they're wandering through 400 years later which is stupid.

From the sick twisted mind of Orson Scott Card.

anim8rfsk

Oct 2, 2017, 2:22:35 AM10/2/17
In article <oqsj3p$9kc$1...@dont-email.me>,
Dimensional Traveler <dtr...@sonic.net> wrote:

> On 10/1/2017 9:47 PM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
> > Dimensional Traveler <dtr...@sonic.net> wrote:
> >
> >> Which very few of us seemed to think enough of to sample. I've spent
> >> the day watching the first four episodes of Ken Burns' 'The Vietnam
> >> War'. Been working so hard and so many hours my DVR is 2/3rds full.
> >
> > You're not showing your tv any love! It may leave you for another viewer.
> >
> The DVR is down to 55% full, so I showed my TV lots of love today. And
> even more by promising it I will never make it show STD to me. :P

I'm down to 84% full ...

A Friend

Oct 2, 2017, 7:17:01 AM10/2/17
In article <oqsftg$2m7$1...@news.albasani.net>, suzeeq <su...@imbris.com>
Yeah. There was no chemistry between the leads, and there wasn't a
real laugh in it. One and done for me. Too bad, too, because I really
like Craig Robinson.

We also watched the s4 premiere of SCORPION, and we decided we're about
done with that, too. It just gets stupider and stupider. Maybe we'll
see the second half of the two-parter, and maybe not.

bruce2...@gmail.com

Oct 2, 2017, 8:55:14 AM10/2/17
Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com> wrote:
> On 10/1/2017 9:03 PM, suzeeq wrote:
> > Obveeus wrote:

> >> I don't want to get any closer to watching LDS history than THE
> >> REVENANT...or maybe SEPTEMBER DAWN.
> >
> > This is presumably for gentiles, the flock already knows it. Or it's
> > heresy.
>
> I've now watched the first 2 episodes of EXTINCT. The characters tells
> us very clearly that this isn't about God/afterlife/etc... and yet
> there is a lot of stuff that is similar in theme.

Viewers have to be TOLD that? @ Like people have to be told to tie their own shoes in the morning?

Obveeus

Oct 2, 2017, 10:16:00 AM10/2/17

On 10/2/2017 2:19 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> In article <oqsaj7$m8j$1...@news.albasani.net>, Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com>
> wrote:

>> I've now watched the first 2 episodes of EXTINCT. The characters tells
>> us very clearly that this isn't about God/afterlife/etc... and yet
>> there is a lot of stuff that is similar in theme.

Spoilers below....

> I'm about half an hour into part one. The cable failed during part two
> and I'm glad I won't have to watch it all.

I don't have BYUtv, so I streamed it. The streaming signal was crisp
and worked perfectly except that the audio was about 1 second off of the
video...such that, apparently, sound travels faster than light.

> It's not only theology, it's
> Mormon theology - note that as they're being rebuilt in the water,
> they're first rebuilt with Mormon garments, and then a somewhat wetsuit
> black outer layer, which seems stupid in over 100 degree temperatures.

Their bodies must be better than human bodies because they can walk
around in bare feet on the same in 100+ temps.

> The 'actors' seem to be people that from their IMDb credits have only
> done video games. The 'writing' is both incredibly derivative and
> subpar. Mostly it's a rip off of RIVERWORLD. When the wife stops him
> from getting a map until he prayed with their idiot daughter, I wanted
> him to backhand her.

She knows the score...they have been saved for some reason...and so they
must pray for a map instead of just going into the convenience store and
getting one. Of course, a Christian might see this 'saving' as having
been left behind during The Rapture.

Side note: our protagonist is so good that he leaves an IOU at the
register for the stuff he took, so that it won't count as stealing.
Um...does that work in real life, too?

> Remember on BATTLESTAR GALACTICA when Starbuck
> died and went to Mormon heaven? This remind you of that?

Yes...and we also had glowing spines!

> Oh dear God -
> they've got the energy weapons from Stargate SG1 (the 'SG' stands for
> 'Extinct sucks') and all they can think to do is use them as
> quarterstaffs?

Also, they have guns that either shoot darts or laser pulses...and the
darts sometimes appear to be implantation devices for aliens that will
eventually make your spine glow. Odd, though, if the guns shoot our
baby aliens, shouldn't the bad guys have to retrieve every missed shot
from the tree, ground, etc....? Maybe they consider their
offspring/brothers disposable?

> The robot tells him to look 'north' like that's going to
> be meaningful. End of part one.
>
> Part 2. They use a different graphic for the cemetery than they did in
> part 1, which is stupid. They continue to not ask the droids obvious
> questions like "where is there water" which is stupid.

They did know about the original water location and the spot in the
'cave'. the robot was nice enough to tell them that there was a closer
pond.

> Ezra thinks he
> can batter down a door with a pipe which is stupid.

Did he think there was a bunch of people hiding behind the door? I
didn't understand his motivation for banging at it.

> The sandpeople are
> all bundled up against the heat which is stupid.

It works for people in the middle east. The best way to survive
outdoors in a hot climate is to stay covered up. On the other hand, I
couldn't stop thinking of them as full sized Jawas.

> In part one they're
> told they're immune to all new diseases; in part two they're told part
> oen was wrong, which is stupid.

Not really. It was established that they were given immunity to the
things that the 20 sided dice and the Sparks knew about. Later, we find
that the village/camp was wiped out by a new disease that they didn't
yet know about. Once they had a sample of the disease, they were able
to make a cure.

> The hidden installation runs on hidden
> solar panels hidden elsewhere, which is stupid, and they've lasted 400
> years, which is stupid.

Yep. Light works in mysterious ways on this show...similar to the
hologram that isn't projected, but rather assembled from light reflected
by surrounding sources...or something like that.

> The idiot wife wants to leave their kid behind
> which is stupid.

The kid must be really horrible because the dad, the mom, and the uncle
were all arguing about which of them was going to be able to get away
from her.

> BTW, the actress who plays the idiot wife will play
> both LYNN and LYNNN in this, which is stupid.

The difference between the flashback and the hologram?

> The probably got the idea
> from the number of Ls in Jack's name in Stargate SG1 (the 'SG' stands
> for STUPID GITS) which is stupid. They have to go to ANOTHER lake
> because the sparks were too stupid to get what they needed last time,
> which is stupid. The girl has a nosebleed, she must be infected, it
> can't be any of another 1000 reasons, which is stupid.

The 20 sided dice was nice enough to explain to them that they had
already been infected and that there was no way to avoid the infection
since it was in the air, everywhere...not just at the village/camp.

it probably would have been better if the 20 sided dice had avoided
taking them to the village/camp at all...or at least stopped for pond
water first.

> The drone takes
> them to where the new disease lives and they walk through a sign that
> says QUARANTINE which is a big word that means "Come on inside kids,
> free ice cream!" which is stupid.

The 'Quarantine' room was inside the camp, though, and even all the
areas outside of that room were already contaminated so going into the
quarantine area made no difference.

> The girl decides she'd rather wear
> ratty old disease ridden rags than her brand new black wetsuit, which is
> stupid.

Yep...apparently operating under the premise that women always need
wardrobe changes...even as they are laying around waiting to die.

> The black guy is a therapist who's diagnosing the white guy as
> sleep deprived because ... oh, Hell, because this is stupid.

Not just sleep deprived, but PTSD because everyone who has ever had a
traumatic event in their life is suffering from it.

> White guy
> wants to know how the sparks will know what to do, despite being told by
> the droid that she works for the sparks, and that this is the fucking
> sparks plan, which is stupid.

That was the dumbest moment of the show. Sure, people really might
question authority, but still...the Sparks built his entire
body/existence and he feels that he can question the Sparks as to if
they know what they are doing? Talk like that is the first step towards
getting kicked out of the garden.

> Our hero is hit by Pepto Bismal gas,
> which looks stupid. All the flashbacks are shot in the exact same
> forest they're wandering through 400 years later which is stupid.

The state of Washington looks a lot like southern Utah at times. I like
the visual desert scenes better than the forest scenes.

> From the sick twisted mind of Orson Scott Card.

ENDER'S GAME.

suzeeq

Oct 2, 2017, 10:17:27 AM10/2/17
anim8rfsk wrote:
> In article <oqsaj7$m8j$1...@news.albasani.net>, Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com>
> wrote:

Thanks for the review.

suzeeq

Oct 2, 2017, 10:25:46 AM10/2/17
anim8rfsk wrote:
> In article <oqsaj7$m8j$1...@news.albasani.net>, Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com>
> wrote:

I knew there was a reason I could never read any of his books. I think I
got through 1 but it was a slog, tried another and decided he was not
for me.

anim8rfsk

Oct 2, 2017, 11:10:38 AM10/2/17
In article <oqthmr$snb$1...@dont-email.me>, Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com>
wrote:

> On 10/2/2017 2:19 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> > In article <oqsaj7$m8j$1...@news.albasani.net>, Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com>
> > wrote:
>
> >> I've now watched the first 2 episodes of EXTINCT. The characters tells
> >> us very clearly that this isn't about God/afterlife/etc... and yet
> >> there is a lot of stuff that is similar in theme.
>
> Spoilers below....
>
> > I'm about half an hour into part one. The cable failed during part two
> > and I'm glad I won't have to watch it all.
>
> I don't have BYUtv, so I streamed it. The streaming signal was crisp
> and worked perfectly except that the audio was about 1 second off of the
> video...such that, apparently, sound travels faster than light.

The picture was very clear.

> > It's not only theology, it's
> > Mormon theology - note that as they're being rebuilt in the water,
> > they're first rebuilt with Mormon garments, and then a somewhat wetsuit
> > black outer layer, which seems stupid in over 100 degree temperatures.
>
> Their bodies must be better than human bodies because they can walk
> around in bare feet on the same in 100+ temps.

Yeah, I forgot to mention that. Not only do they walk around on rock,
barefoot, without discomfort, all this old rust metal that's been out in
the sun for 400 years doesn't bother them to pick up.

> > The 'actors' seem to be people that from their IMDb credits have only
> > done video games. The 'writing' is both incredibly derivative and
> > subpar. Mostly it's a rip off of RIVERWORLD. When the wife stops him
> > from getting a map until he prayed with their idiot daughter, I wanted
> > him to backhand her.
>
> She knows the score...they have been saved for some reason...and so they
> must pray for a map instead of just going into the convenience store and
> getting one. Of course, a Christian might see this 'saving' as having
> been left behind during The Rapture.
>
> Side note: our protagonist is so good that he leaves an IOU at the
> register for the stuff he took, so that it won't count as stealing.
> Um...does that work in real life, too?
>
> > Remember on BATTLESTAR GALACTICA when Starbuck
> > died and went to Mormon heaven? This remind you of that?
>
> Yes...and we also had glowing spines!

And even that was less stupid than this - at least we got illicit sex
and nekkid nudity to go with it.

> > Oh dear God -
> > they've got the energy weapons from Stargate SG1 (the 'SG' stands for
> > 'Extinct sucks') and all they can think to do is use them as
> > quarterstaffs?
>
> Also, they have guns that either shoot darts or laser pulses...and the
> darts sometimes appear to be implantation devices for aliens that will
> eventually make your spine glow. Odd, though, if the guns shoot our
> baby aliens, shouldn't the bad guys have to retrieve every missed shot
> from the tree, ground, etc....? Maybe they consider their
> offspring/brothers disposable?

Not the way the brother was bitching about them later.

> > The robot tells him to look 'north' like that's going to
> > be meaningful. End of part one.
> >
> > Part 2. They use a different graphic for the cemetery than they did in
> > part 1, which is stupid. They continue to not ask the droids obvious
> > questions like "where is there water" which is stupid.
>
> They did know about the original water location and the spot in the
> 'cave'. the robot was nice enough to tell them that there was a closer
> pond.

Yeah, but they walked for what I assume is days to get there from the
water hole ...

> > Ezra thinks he
> > can batter down a door with a pipe which is stupid.
>
> Did he think there was a bunch of people hiding behind the door? I
> didn't understand his motivation for banging at it.

Having been told everybody is dead, he starts pounding on the door.
Just stupid.

> > The sandpeople are
> > all bundled up against the heat which is stupid.
>
> It works for people in the middle east. The best way to survive
> outdoors in a hot climate is to stay covered up. On the other hand, I
> couldn't stop thinking of them as full sized Jawas.

And that Red Droid had some serious carbon scoring and something wedged
in there real good ...

> > In part one they're
> > told they're immune to all new diseases; in part two they're told part
> > oen was wrong, which is stupid.
>
> Not really. It was established that they were given immunity to the
> things that the 20 sided dice and the Sparks knew about. Later, we find
> that the village/camp was wiped out by a new disease that they didn't
> yet know about. Once they had a sample of the disease, they were able
> to make a cure.

And yet Red Droid new about the settlement, even though gold droid has
never seen him before. And Red Droid had the Sparks, which live in the
settlement.

> > The hidden installation runs on hidden
> > solar panels hidden elsewhere, which is stupid, and they've lasted 400
> > years, which is stupid.
>
> Yep. Light works in mysterious ways on this show...similar to the
> hologram that isn't projected, but rather assembled from light reflected
> by surrounding sources...or something like that.

Yeah, what the Hell was that?

> > The idiot wife wants to leave their kid behind
> > which is stupid.
>
> The kid must be really horrible because the dad, the mom, and the uncle
> were all arguing about which of them was going to be able to get away
> from her.

I wanted to get away from *all* of them.

> > BTW, the actress who plays the idiot wife will play
> > both LYNN and LYNNN in this, which is stupid.
>
> The difference between the flashback and the hologram?

I assume.

> > The probably got the idea
> > from the number of Ls in Jack's name in Stargate SG1 (the 'SG' stands
> > for STUPID GITS) which is stupid. They have to go to ANOTHER lake
> > because the sparks were too stupid to get what they needed last time,
> > which is stupid. The girl has a nosebleed, she must be infected, it
> > can't be any of another 1000 reasons, which is stupid.
>
> The 20 sided dice was nice enough to explain to them that they had
> already been infected and that there was no way to avoid the infection
> since it was in the air, everywhere...not just at the village/camp.

In which case why the Hell don't the sparks know about it?

> it probably would have been better if the 20 sided dice had avoided
> taking them to the village/camp at all...or at least stopped for pond
> water first.

Because water from the resurrection pond won't work, and water from the
cave pond won't work.

> > The drone takes
> > them to where the new disease lives and they walk through a sign that
> > says QUARANTINE which is a big word that means "Come on inside kids,
> > free ice cream!" which is stupid.
>
> The 'Quarantine' room was inside the camp, though, and even all the
> areas outside of that room were already contaminated so going into the
> quarantine area made no difference.

Yeah, but *they* didn't know that.

> > The girl decides she'd rather wear
> > ratty old disease ridden rags than her brand new black wetsuit, which is
> > stupid.
>
> Yep...apparently operating under the premise that women always need
> wardrobe changes...even as they are laying around waiting to die.
>
> > The black guy is a therapist who's diagnosing the white guy as
> > sleep deprived because ... oh, Hell, because this is stupid.
>
> Not just sleep deprived, but PTSD because everyone who has ever had a
> traumatic event in their life is suffering from it.

I bet a VA consoler is quick to assume PTSD, but when did our hero have
time to miss sleep? And they stop and TALK ABOUT IT? Before getting to
the pond? At least she-droid busted them on that one.

> > White guy
> > wants to know how the sparks will know what to do, despite being told by
> > the droid that she works for the sparks, and that this is the fucking
> > sparks plan, which is stupid.
>
> That was the dumbest moment of the show. Sure, people really might
> question authority, but still...the Sparks built his entire
> body/existence and he feels that he can question the Sparks as to if
> they know what they are doing? Talk like that is the first step towards
> getting kicked out of the garden.

Heh, yeah, the circumstances clearly call for more complacency.

> > Our hero is hit by Pepto Bismal gas,
> > which looks stupid. All the flashbacks are shot in the exact same
> > forest they're wandering through 400 years later which is stupid.
>
> The state of Washington looks a lot like southern Utah at times. I like
> the visual desert scenes better than the forest scenes.

Yes. The Planet of the Apes 'this used to be New York' stuff was good
looking; the forest stuff looked like somebody's backyard.

> > From the sick twisted mind of Orson Scott Card.
>
> ENDER'S GAME.

Which I never saw.

Obveeus

Oct 2, 2017, 11:33:27 AM10/2/17

On 10/2/2017 11:10 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> In article <oqthmr$snb$1...@dont-email.me>, Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com>
> wrote:

EXTINCT:

>> Their bodies must be better than human bodies because they can walk
>> around in bare feet on the same in 100+ temps.
>
> Yeah, I forgot to mention that. Not only do they walk around on rock,
> barefoot, without discomfort, all this old rust metal that's been out in
> the sun for 400 years doesn't bother them to pick up.

Speaking of rusty metal...the crappy plastic/chrome grill on the Chevy
has partially survived, but the engine block has rusted away to nothing?

>>> Remember on BATTLESTAR GALACTICA when Starbuck
>>> died and went to Mormon heaven? This remind you of that?
>>
>> Yes...and we also had glowing spines!
>
> And even that was less stupid than this - at least we got illicit sex
> and nekkid nudity to go with it.

Yes. Sadly, this show isn't going to have any nudity...especially given
that they didn't even get re-birthed while wearing white clothing that
becomes entirely transparent when wet like any good Mormon event.

>>> Ezra thinks he
>>> can batter down a door with a pipe which is stupid.
>>
>> Did he think there was a bunch of people hiding behind the door? I
>> didn't understand his motivation for banging at it.
>
> Having been told everybody is dead, he starts pounding on the door.
> Just stupid.

Maybe he thought the door was the gate to heaven?

>>> The sandpeople are
>>> all bundled up against the heat which is stupid.
>>
>> It works for people in the middle east. The best way to survive
>> outdoors in a hot climate is to stay covered up. On the other hand, I
>> couldn't stop thinking of them as full sized Jawas.
>
> And that Red Droid had some serious carbon scoring and something wedged
> in there real good ...

The droid was shot with the guns that shoot baby alien embryos into pure
humans, right? So, the thing wedged in there should be a baby parasitic
alien.

>>> In part one they're
>>> told they're immune to all new diseases; in part two they're told part
>>> oen was wrong, which is stupid.
>>
>> Not really. It was established that they were given immunity to the
>> things that the 20 sided dice and the Sparks knew about. Later, we find
>> that the village/camp was wiped out by a new disease that they didn't
>> yet know about. Once they had a sample of the disease, they were able
>> to make a cure.
>
> And yet Red Droid new about the settlement, even though gold droid has
> never seen him before. And Red Droid had the Sparks, which live in the
> settlement.

You'd think that the Sparks would have their own transportation droid
instead of needing to be carried around by humans...especially given
that the Red droid carried them to the pool of water the first time
where they were re-born.

>>> The idiot wife wants to leave their kid behind
>>> which is stupid.
>>
>> The kid must be really horrible because the dad, the mom, and the uncle
>> were all arguing about which of them was going to be able to get away
>> from her.
>
> I wanted to get away from *all* of them.

Yep...especially when the first order of business turned to driving back
into the war zone to randomly look for the grandparents who lived at the
cabin. That was an entirely aimless and unwise plan.

>> The 20 sided dice was nice enough to explain to them that they had
>> already been infected and that there was no way to avoid the infection
>> since it was in the air, everywhere...not just at the village/camp.
>
> In which case why the Hell don't the sparks know about it?

Yep. It was almost like some higher being set up an obstacle just so
the pure humans could overcome.

>> it probably would have been better if the 20 sided dice had avoided
>> taking them to the village/camp at all...or at least stopped for pond
>> water first.
>
> Because water from the resurrection pond won't work, and water from the
> cave pond won't work.

Both of those were farther away from the village, but what annoyed me
was the premise that Red visited both of those places with the pure
humans without yet knowing about the virus that had killed everyone
else. Don't these 20 sided dice have any ability to communicate with
each other?

>>> The drone takes
>>> them to where the new disease lives and they walk through a sign that
>>> says QUARANTINE which is a big word that means "Come on inside kids,
>>> free ice cream!" which is stupid.
>>
>> The 'Quarantine' room was inside the camp, though, and even all the
>> areas outside of that room were already contaminated so going into the
>> quarantine area made no difference.
>
> Yeah, but *they* didn't know that.

I'm pretty sure that Yellow told them they were all contaminated before
they showed the door with 'quarantine' written on it.

>>> The girl decides she'd rather wear
>>> ratty old disease ridden rags than her brand new black wetsuit, which is
>>> stupid.
>>
>> Yep...apparently operating under the premise that women always need
>> wardrobe changes...even as they are laying around waiting to die.
>>
>>> The black guy is a therapist who's diagnosing the white guy as
>>> sleep deprived because ... oh, Hell, because this is stupid.
>>
>> Not just sleep deprived, but PTSD because everyone who has ever had a
>> traumatic event in their life is suffering from it.
>
> I bet a VA consoler is quick to assume PTSD, but when did our hero have
> time to miss sleep?

As far as I could tell, he had been sleeping for 400 years straight.

>>> From the sick twisted mind of Orson Scott Card.
>>
>> ENDER'S GAME.
>
> Which I never saw.

Typical teen sci-fi/magic where someone becomes an expert (though at
least not instantly like most films) in something so that he can defend
the world. It had some big moral message to offer, but it was delivered
in a muddled manner and wasn't a very good film.

anim8rfsk

Oct 2, 2017, 11:57:55 AM10/2/17
In article <oqtm84$1b5$1...@dont-email.me>, Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com>
wrote:

> On 10/2/2017 11:10 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> > In article <oqthmr$snb$1...@dont-email.me>, Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com>
> > wrote:
>

> EXTINCT:
>
> >> Their bodies must be better than human bodies because they can walk
> >> around in bare feet on the same in 100+ temps.
> >
> > Yeah, I forgot to mention that. Not only do they walk around on rock,
> > barefoot, without discomfort, all this old rust metal that's been out in
> > the sun for 400 years doesn't bother them to pick up.
>
> Speaking of rusty metal...the crappy plastic/chrome grill on the Chevy
> has partially survived, but the engine block has rusted away to nothing?

And how did they KNOW the engine block did that? Maybe the car is nose
down. And why is he making fun of her 'acid rain' guess because it's a
desert? Maybe that's WHY it's a desert.

> >> Yes...and we also had glowing spines!
> >
> > And even that was less stupid than this - at least we got illicit sex
> > and nekkid nudity to go with it.
>
> Yes. Sadly, this show isn't going to have any nudity...especially given
> that they didn't even get re-birthed while wearing white clothing that
> becomes entirely transparent when wet like any good Mormon event.

Oh, sure, that's why the garments were black. Duh.

> >> Did he think there was a bunch of people hiding behind the door? I
> >> didn't understand his motivation for banging at it.
> >
> > Having been told everybody is dead, he starts pounding on the door.
> > Just stupid.
>
> Maybe he thought the door was the gate to heaven?

> >> It works for people in the middle east. The best way to survive
> >> outdoors in a hot climate is to stay covered up. On the other hand, I
> >> couldn't stop thinking of them as full sized Jawas.
> >
> > And that Red Droid had some serious carbon scoring and something wedged
> > in there real good ...
>
> The droid was shot with the guns that shoot baby alien embryos into pure
> humans, right? So, the thing wedged in there should be a baby parasitic
> alien.

I'm not sure if they shot it with that or one of Teal'c's energy staffs
that they quickly forgot shot energy.

> >> Not really. It was established that they were given immunity to the
> >> things that the 20 sided dice and the Sparks knew about. Later, we find
> >> that the village/camp was wiped out by a new disease that they didn't
> >> yet know about. Once they had a sample of the disease, they were able
> >> to make a cure.
> >
> > And yet Red Droid new about the settlement, even though gold droid has
> > never seen him before. And Red Droid had the Sparks, which live in the
> > settlement.
>
> You'd think that the Sparks would have their own transportation droid
> instead of needing to be carried around by humans...especially given
> that the Red droid carried them to the pool of water the first time
> where they were re-born.

I don't think we'll ever have how this works satisfactorily explained.

> >> The kid must be really horrible because the dad, the mom, and the uncle
> >> were all arguing about which of them was going to be able to get away
> >> from her.
> >
> > I wanted to get away from *all* of them.
>
> Yep...especially when the first order of business turned to driving back
> into the war zone to randomly look for the grandparents who lived at the
> cabin. That was an entirely aimless and unwise plan.

But it was Family Night.

> >> The 20 sided dice was nice enough to explain to them that they had
> >> already been infected and that there was no way to avoid the infection
> >> since it was in the air, everywhere...not just at the village/camp.
> >
> > In which case why the Hell don't the sparks know about it?
>
> Yep. It was almost like some higher being set up an obstacle just so
> the pure humans could overcome.

And they never even *try* to work around the Droid "I am not programmed
to respond in that area" block.

> >> it probably would have been better if the 20 sided dice had avoided
> >> taking them to the village/camp at all...or at least stopped for pond
> >> water first.
> >
> > Because water from the resurrection pond won't work, and water from the
> > cave pond won't work.
>
> Both of those were farther away from the village, but what annoyed me
> was the premise that Red visited both of those places with the pure
> humans without yet knowing about the virus that had killed everyone
> else. Don't these 20 sided dice have any ability to communicate with
> each other?

They were farther away, but the sparks went swimming in both of them, so
why didn't they notice "hey this water is toxic"?

Goldie said she'd never seen Red or something. So I'm not sure how Red
got the Sparks that live in the settlement in the first place.

> >> The 'Quarantine' room was inside the camp, though, and even all the
> >> areas outside of that room were already contaminated so going into the
> >> quarantine area made no difference.
> >
> > Yeah, but *they* didn't know that.
>
> I'm pretty sure that Yellow told them they were all contaminated before
> they showed the door with 'quarantine' written on it.

> >> Yep...apparently operating under the premise that women always need
> >> wardrobe changes...even as they are laying around waiting to die.

> >> Not just sleep deprived, but PTSD because everyone who has ever had a
> >> traumatic event in their life is suffering from it.
> >
> > I bet a VA consoler is quick to assume PTSD, but when did our hero have
> > time to miss sleep?
>
> As far as I could tell, he had been sleeping for 400 years straight.

Sleeping like the dead.

And don't you hate these resurrection things where somebody complains
"you haven't learned anything in 400 years"? HOW THE HELL DO YOU LEARN
WHILE YOU'RE DEAD?

> >> ENDER'S GAME.
> >
> > Which I never saw.
>
> Typical teen sci-fi/magic where someone becomes an expert (though at
> least not instantly like most films) in something so that he can defend
> the world. It had some big moral message to offer, but it was delivered
> in a muddled manner and wasn't a very good film.

Ah.

Obveeus

Oct 2, 2017, 12:30:24 PM10/2/17

On 10/2/2017 11:57 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> In article <oqtm84$1b5$1...@dont-email.me>, Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 10/2/2017 11:10 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
>>> In article <oqthmr$snb$1...@dont-email.me>, Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com>
>>> wrote:
>>

>> EXTINCT:

>>> Yeah, I forgot to mention that. Not only do they walk around on rock,
>>> barefoot, without discomfort, all this old rust metal that's been out in
>>> the sun for 400 years doesn't bother them to pick up.
>>
>> Speaking of rusty metal...the crappy plastic/chrome grill on the Chevy
>> has partially survived, but the engine block has rusted away to nothing?
>
> And how did they KNOW the engine block did that? Maybe the car is nose
> down. And why is he making fun of her 'acid rain' guess because it's a
> desert? Maybe that's WHY it's a desert.

Agreed. 400 years have passed. All kinds of things could have
happened, especially in an interstellar war zone.

>>> And that Red Droid had some serious carbon scoring and something wedged
>>> in there real good ...
>>
>> The droid was shot with the guns that shoot baby alien embryos into pure
>> humans, right? So, the thing wedged in there should be a baby parasitic
>> alien.
>
> I'm not sure if they shot it with that or one of Teal'c's energy staffs
> that they quickly forgot shot energy.

Somwetimes they shot energy. Sometimes they were sticks that tasered
you if you got touched by the end. Sometimes they were just sticks that
you could hit people with. At night, I assume that they double as torches.

>>> And yet Red Droid new about the settlement, even though gold droid has
>>> never seen him before. And Red Droid had the Sparks, which live in the
>>> settlement.
>>
>> You'd think that the Sparks would have their own transportation droid
>> instead of needing to be carried around by humans...especially given
>> that the Red droid carried them to the pool of water the first time
>> where they were re-born.
>
> I don't think we'll ever have how this works satisfactorily explained.

Real magic is never thoroughly explained.

>>> Because water from the resurrection pond won't work, and water from the
>>> cave pond won't work.
>>
>> Both of those were farther away from the village, but what annoyed me
>> was the premise that Red visited both of those places with the pure
>> humans without yet knowing about the virus that had killed everyone
>> else. Don't these 20 sided dice have any ability to communicate with
>> each other?
>
> They were farther away, but the sparks went swimming in both of them, so
> why didn't they notice "hey this water is toxic"?

I guess they only knew to look after the fact...which makes them less
than amazing assistants.

> Goldie said she'd never seen Red or something. So I'm not sure how Red
> got the Sparks that live in the settlement in the first place.

Yellow and Red are not authorized to answer that question...some higher
power works in mysterious ways.

>>> I bet a VA consoler is quick to assume PTSD, but when did our hero have
>>> time to miss sleep?
>>
>> As far as I could tell, he had been sleeping for 400 years straight.
>
> Sleeping like the dead.
>
> And don't you hate these resurrection things where somebody complains
> "you haven't learned anything in 400 years"? HOW THE HELL DO YOU LEARN
> WHILE YOU'RE DEAD?

Osmosis?

Adam H. Kerman

Oct 2, 2017, 12:33:14 PM10/2/17
A Friend wrote:

>We also watched the s4 premiere of SCORPION, and we decided we're about
>done with that, too. It just gets stupider and stupider. Maybe we'll
>see the second half of the two-parter, and maybe not.

I hated that show in its pilot episode. I've never had any patience for it.
Despite having Ian television viewer syndrome, I still manage to turn
a few things off.

Adam H. Kerman

Oct 2, 2017, 12:35:22 PM10/2/17
Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com> wrote:

>Spoilers below....

You know, obveeus, it's an amazingly shitty thing for you to turn
an unrelated thread into a spoiler thread without changing Subject.

You're an asshole.

anim8rfsk

Oct 2, 2017, 1:13:13 PM10/2/17
In article <oqtpo7$rdk$2...@dont-email.me>,
Ditto.

Adam H. Kerman

Oct 2, 2017, 1:14:11 PM10/2/17
anim8rfsk <anim...@cox.net> wrote:
>"Adam H. Kerman" <a...@chinet.com> wrote:
>>A Friend wrote:

>>>We also watched the s4 premiere of SCORPION, and we decided we're about
>>>done with that, too. It just gets stupider and stupider. Maybe we'll
>>>see the second half of the two-parter, and maybe not.

>>I hated that show in its pilot episode. I've never had any patience for it.
>>Despite having Ian television viewer syndrome, I still manage to turn
>>a few things off.

>Ditto.

What's ditto? Are you a fellow sufferer of Ian television viewer syndrome?

anim8rfsk

Oct 2, 2017, 1:15:40 PM10/2/17
In article <oqtpit$so8$1...@dont-email.me>, Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com>
Hee hee

> >> You'd think that the Sparks would have their own transportation droid
> >> instead of needing to be carried around by humans...especially given
> >> that the Red droid carried them to the pool of water the first time
> >> where they were re-born.
> >
> > I don't think we'll ever have how this works satisfactorily explained.
>
> Real magic is never thoroughly explained.

> >> Both of those were farther away from the village, but what annoyed me
> >> was the premise that Red visited both of those places with the pure
> >> humans without yet knowing about the virus that had killed everyone
> >> else. Don't these 20 sided dice have any ability to communicate with
> >> each other?
> >
> > They were farther away, but the sparks went swimming in both of them, so
> > why didn't they notice "hey this water is toxic"?
>
> I guess they only knew to look after the fact...which makes them less
> than amazing assistants.

They're not assistants, the sparks are in freaking charge!

> > Goldie said she'd never seen Red or something. So I'm not sure how Red
> > got the Sparks that live in the settlement in the first place.
>
> Yellow and Red are not authorized to answer that question...some higher
> power works in mysterious ways.

That higher power being another dead Mormon who's fabricated this
afterlife.

> >> As far as I could tell, he had been sleeping for 400 years straight.
> >
> > Sleeping like the dead.
> >
> > And don't you hate these resurrection things where somebody complains
> > "you haven't learned anything in 400 years"? HOW THE HELL DO YOU LEARN
> > WHILE YOU'RE DEAD?
>
> Osmosis?

anim8rfsk

Oct 2, 2017, 1:27:00 PM10/2/17
In article <oqts50$gvr$1...@dont-email.me>,
And I turned Scorpion off after the first season premiere.

Obveeus

Oct 2, 2017, 2:03:19 PM10/2/17
The Sparks are in charge of the 20 sided dice, maybe, but they all
answer to some higher entity which controls what info they can or cannot
relay to the humans. More than anything, the Sparks and the 20 sided
dice seem to be there to help/serve the pure humans.

>>> Goldie said she'd never seen Red or something. So I'm not sure how Red
>>> got the Sparks that live in the settlement in the first place.
>>
>> Yellow and Red are not authorized to answer that question...some higher
>> power works in mysterious ways.
>
> That higher power being another dead Mormon who's fabricated this
> afterlife.

...but, but...they had that disclaimer dialog up front that this wasn't
about the afterlife.

Adam H. Kerman

Oct 2, 2017, 2:29:18 PM10/2/17
anim8rfsk <anim...@cox.net> wrote:
>"Adam H. Kerman" <a...@chinet.com> wrote:
>>anim8rfsk <anim...@cox.net> wrote:

>>>Ditto.

>>What's ditto? Are you a fellow sufferer of Ian television viewer syndrome?

>And I turned Scorpion off after the first season premiere.

Phooey. I was trying to form a support group.

anim8rfsk

Oct 2, 2017, 3:31:27 PM10/2/17
In article <oqu0hq$jhp$2...@dont-email.me>,
Cold turkey baby. When she's hanging from an airplane by a USB cable,
it's all over.

shawn

Oct 2, 2017, 4:19:26 PM10/2/17
On Mon, 02 Oct 2017 12:31:24 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim...@cox.net>
wrote:
Only reason I kept watching for a while was because I have friends
that really like the show.

Adam H. Kerman

Oct 2, 2017, 4:27:07 PM10/2/17
Uh huh. You can quit ANY time.

anim8rfsk

Oct 2, 2017, 4:33:46 PM10/2/17
In article <bp75tcpd0kr8hq1of...@4ax.com>,
You need to trade up from Ian.

shawn

Oct 2, 2017, 6:02:44 PM10/2/17
On Mon, 2 Oct 2017 20:27:04 -0000 (UTC), "Adam H. Kerman"
LOL. I did quit watching a long time ago. Made it about half way
through Season 2 before I stopped watching.

Dimensional Traveler

Oct 2, 2017, 6:06:23 PM10/2/17
Friends don't let friends watch horribly bad television.

Adam H. Kerman

Oct 2, 2017, 6:11:09 PM10/2/17
That explains so much about Usenet.

Obveeus

Oct 2, 2017, 7:00:38 PM10/2/17
+1. SCORPION was the stupidest new show to air that year and I am still
amazed that people kept watching it and got it renewed...over and over
and over.