What Did You Watch? 2017-07-23 (Sunday)

Ubiquitous

Jul 24, 2017, 6:10:48 AM7/24/17
On the last day of the Tour de France, I watched:

MISSION IMPOSSIBLE:
"The Town". Rollin finds Phelps paralyzed in a desolate Western
town---which is crawling with political assassins. Hey, it's Grandpa
Walton!

THE OUTER LIMITS:
"The Man Who Was Never Born". An astronaut, returning from a voyage,
finds that the Earth is scorched, populated by humanoids---and the year
is 2148. Hey, it's Martin Landau!

TCM UNDERGROUND:
"Terminal Island". Feminist ideology prevails in this violent
exploitationer about female prisoners who are carted off to an island
prison camp populated by men. Those in charge are ruthless martinets
who beat and rape the women, but there is an underground waiting to
rebel. The women help with the overthrow and set up a democratic
system.

THE TOUR DE FRANCE
Stage 21.

MISSION IMPOSSIBLE:
"Heir Apparent". Cinnamon masquerades as a blind and aging princess as
the IMF moves to block the military take-over of a constitutional
monarchy.

THE LOVE BOAT:
An extra long ep.
• "A Good and Faithful Servant". A vacationing chauffeur and his
wealthy employer fall in love
• "The Secret Life of Burl Smith". Gopher has fantasies about one of
the guests, a la Walter Mitty.
• "Tug of War". A separated couple vie for their son's affection.
• "Designated Lover". Reggie Jackson goers incognito but when he gets
tired of being ignored, no one beleves he is who he says he is.

LOVE, AMERICAN STYLE:
"Love and the Happy Days". A pilot for a show of the same name.

THE SIMPSONS:
"Friends and Family". Mr Burns creates a virtual family. Bored.

FAMILY GUY:
"Cop and a Half-wit". Peter becomes upset after he helps out Joe with
several crime cases and the latter takes all the credit. Meanwhile,
Brian talks Stewie into joining a football squad, but panics when he
suffers a concussion.

Obveeus

Jul 24, 2017, 8:22:30 AM7/24/17
I watched:

OZARK: Episodes #2, #3, and #4. The show starts adding a variety of
local characters including an old naked guy, naked strippers (including
a pregnant naked stripper) a trailer full of dangerous hillbillies,
other local criminals, and more...but best of all Jordana Spiro (MY
BOYS, THE MOB DOCTOR) joins the cast. This show definitely reminds me
of JUSTIFIED in the way that the characters are all interesting and
different. The show also clicked off the LGBTQ box.

FRIENDS FROM COLLEGE: Another episode of this Netflix comedy; this one
set at a wedding. This was probably the funniest episode yet, though
that isn't saying much.

TAKE ME: A 2017 Netflix film starring Pat Healy and Taylor Schilling
(ORANGE IS THE NEW BLACK) as characters involved in a paid kidnapping
event. I suppose this is similar to those murder mystery dinner theater
events or the Escape The Mystery Room mall places where they lock you in
the room and you have to discover clues to free yourself. In this one,
though, the premise is that a person pays for a 'kidnapping
experience'...what could possibly go wrong? At times this was
interesting and at times it seemed to drag. Ultimately, it did not end
up where I expected, so I guess that was good...although my ending idea
was better than what they came up with.

What did you watch?

anim8rfsk

Jul 24, 2017, 8:49:44 AM7/24/17
In article <UBI20...@dont-email.me>, Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net>
wrote:

> On the last day of the Tour de France, I watched:
>
> MISSION IMPOSSIBLE:
> "The Town". Rollin finds Phelps paralyzed in a desolate Western
> town---which is crawling with political assassins. Hey, it's Grandpa
> Walton!

I'm surprised the IMF is allowed to work inside the USA, even in an
emergency.

> THE OUTER LIMITS:
> "The Man Who Was Never Born". An astronaut, returning from a voyage,
> finds that the Earth is scorched, populated by humanoids---and the year
> is 2148. Hey, it's Martin Landau!

A great ep, and clearly one of the influences for TERMINATOR.

> TCM UNDERGROUND:
> "Terminal Island". Feminist ideology prevails in this violent
> exploitationer about female prisoners who are carted off to an island
> prison camp populated by men. Those in charge are ruthless martinets
> who beat and rape the women, but there is an underground waiting to
> rebel. The women help with the overthrow and set up a democratic
> system.

I saw that in the theater! With Tom Selleck, TC from Magnum PI, Dan
Tanna's showgirl secretary, and Marta Kristen from LOST IN SPACE who
says "tits"!!!

> THE LOVE BOAT:
> An extra long ep.
> • "A Good and Faithful Servant". A vacationing chauffeur and his
> wealthy employer fall in love
> • "The Secret Life of Burl Smith". Gopher has fantasies about one of
> the guests, a la Walter Mitty.
> • "Tug of War". A separated couple vie for their son's affection.
> • "Designated Lover". Reggie Jackson goers incognito but when he gets
> tired of being ignored, no one beleves he is who he says he is.

Gopher has a psychotic break, and then learns famous women *like*
stalkers. And Julie is a major bitch to him.

--
Join your old RAT friends at
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1688985234647266/

tenworld

Jul 24, 2017, 9:02:09 AM7/24/17
On Monday, July 24, 2017

> What did you watch?

I watched Nathalie Emmanuel.

Ubiquitous

Jul 24, 2017, 9:39:03 AM7/24/17
anim...@cox.net wrote:
> Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net> wrote:

>> On the last day of the Tour de France, I watched:
>>
>> MISSION IMPOSSIBLE:
>> "The Town". Rollin finds Phelps paralyzed in a desolate Western
>> town---which is crawling with political assassins. Hey, it's Grandpa
>> Walton!

I lost interest in that story when Gopher's first fantasies about that alleged
famous actress took place with her poster instead of her.

Arthur Lipscomb

Jul 24, 2017, 10:38:44 AM7/24/17
On 7/24/2017 5:22 AM, Obveeus wrote:
> I watched:
>

> What did you watch?

Big Brother - Still making my way through this.

Preacher - "Dallas" - A bit of a filler episode dealing with Jesse and
Tulip's back story.

Game of Thrones - "Stormborn"- Things were moving a bit slow until they
hit us with one of their patented "didn't see that coming" endings.

The Fifth Element (4K blu-ray) - In spite of my mixed at best feelings
about this movie I went ahead and upgraded to 4K. But not even the
enhanced picture and Dolby Atmos sound could help. It's *not* funny!
And the overall story is mediocre. I keep trying to force myself to
like this movie but I just can't.

99 Homes (Netflix rental) Andrew Garfield stars as a down on his luck
man who is evicted from his home by a shady real estate developer
(Michael Shannon). Desperate to support his mother and son and get
their home back he winds up working for him and helping to put other
people out of their homes. This was a pretty good drama.

War for the Planet of the Apes (theatrical) - Third movie in the Apes
reboot, continuing the Saga of Caesar (Andy Serkis) and his band of
intelligent Apes. Picking up from the events of the last movie, with
most of humanity wiped out by a plague a group of surviving soldiers led
by Woody Harrelson set out to kill Ceasar and his Apes. Ceasar wants
peace but when that fails he takes the fight to the humans. It's pretty
good.

Ian J. Ball

Jul 24, 2017, 10:49:30 AM7/24/17
On 2017-07-24 12:22:24 +0000, Obveeus said:

> What did you watch?

I took things slow on Sunday...:

Zoo (recorded) - "Welcome to the Terra Dome". This episode was pretty
dang dumb, all around. Not really going to bother to synopsizing much -
pretty much everybody hates Jamie, except Mitch (and Clementine?);
EVOL!!1! Athena Karkanis conspires to have the hybrids attack New York
City (Raiden Global HQ, specifically); and that bitch Dariela conspires
to get Clementine kidnapped. In the end, the EVOL!!1! head of Raiden
Global (Sophina Brown) turns up assissinated, and Jamie claims she did
it because the EVOL!!1! chyck was one of the EVOL!!1! "Shepherds".

Mistresses(!!) (recorded last summer!) - "Fight or Flight". After
yesterday's post (in response to Adam?) in which I mentioned still
having a few of these left on my DVR, I decided to actually watch one,
in attempt to clear the rest of the series off my DVR. It turns out I
only had 3 episodes of this left to watch (and, after this one, just
2!).
Not really going to synopsize much - Karen's crazy nanny (Alanna
Masterson) gets busted; Joss goes nuts and nearly kills the abusive
husband of her dead friend; Harry plays too fast and loose with his
career and get burned; April's relationship with Marc is officially
over. No Tabrett Bethell at all this episode - I wonder if she'll even
pop up in the rest of season #4...

Longmire (The Netflix) - "The Calling Back". A depressing episode in
which Walt (and Cady) try to investigate the rape of a native girl (on
the edge of the Res., so Mathias has to be brought in too - and it
turns out Mathias is about to lose his job...) by some of the oil rig
workers (incl. Nick E. Tarabay of "The Expanse" and "Spartacus"). The
victim's mother was truly hateful - if I was Walt I would have just
shot her on the spot!!
Meanwhile, the new deputy (Barry Sloane) shows signs of being a
problem, but Walt doesn't really listen when Ferg tries to warn Walt
about it. I'm guessing the new deputy isn't going to be lasting long...

Dark Matter (recorded) - "Hot Chocolate" (heh). While Six is hosting
the conference of colonists trying to figure out what to do (e.g.
whether to pursue independence), the ship is taken over by Ryo/Four and
his (cloned) goons after Ryo has the Android taken over remotely. It's
not long before it's up to Five (and Natalie Brown) to save the day! In
the end, the crew fights off this attempt by Ryo, and then attempts to
test the "Jump Drive"... with apparently disastrous results, once
again!!

Story of a Girl (Lifetime) - This was massively disappointing. This was
one of those aimless "slice of life" Lifetime flicks that tries to be
profound, but never really goes anywhere nor has much worthwhile to
say. I was basically bored throughout, and the film doesn't even really
have an "ending", which sucked. Oh, and it's told with a partially
non-linear timeline which just served to muddle the narrative even
more. >:/
Give me back my "Stupid Young Woman Gets Stalked by a Psycho!"-type
flicks, please!!

Mako Mermaids (The Netflix) - Really episodes #2.14-2.17 (regardless of
what The Netflix calls them!).
The first of these isn't even worth commenting on. The second,
"Careful What You Wish For", plays out exactly like you'd expect when
an "experiment" by Mimmi and Sirena accidentally gives Cam "merman
powers" (temporarily). The third, "First Date", was actually amusing,
when Ondina accidentally turns Erik into an exact duplicate of Rita's
cat, Poseidon, and then creates two other duplicate Posiedons on top of
that! forcing the girls to go chasing down escaping kitties!! In the
last, "The Merman Code", Erik's and Cam's mucking about on Mako gets
Erik transported to merman "limbo", so Cam has to call Zac and all the
others (including a frantic Ondina) in to figure out how to "activate"
the merman chamber in order to get Erik back.

Recorded for later: A big fat *nuthin'* - Sundays during Summer have
gotten bad again... :(

--
"His compassion killed him." - Dr. Sabine Lommers, in

Ian J. Ball

Jul 24, 2017, 10:53:03 AM7/24/17
On 2017-07-24 14:38:37 +0000, Arthur Lipscomb said:

> On 7/24/2017 5:22 AM, Obveeus wrote:
>> I watched:
>>
>> What did you watch?
>
> Big Brother - Still making my way through this.

Why?!!

> The Fifth Element (4K blu-ray) - In spite of my mixed at best feelings
> about this movie I went ahead and upgraded to 4K. But not even the
> enhanced picture and Dolby Atmos sound could help. It's *not* funny!
> And the overall story is mediocre. I keep trying to force myself to
> like this movie but I just can't.

That's about how I feel...

> War for the Planet of the Apes (theatrical)

I still have seen none of the PotA reboots. Part of the problem is that
I can't get the first two, commercial free, without paying an arm and a
leg for them. [sigh...]

Connor

Jul 24, 2017, 11:07:13 AM7/24/17
We only had Game of Thrones tonite. We're really liking this season. Things are really happening. I wonder if the big fight with the White Walkers will be this season or next.

Also we saw Dunkirk in IMAX, really good!

BTR1701

Jul 24, 2017, 11:48:02 AM7/24/17
On 2017-07-24 14:38:37 +0000, Arthur Lipscomb said:

> > The Fifth Element (4K blu-ray) - In spite of my mixed at best feelings
> > about this movie I went ahead and upgraded to 4K. But not even the
> > enhanced picture and Dolby Atmos sound could help. It's *not* funny!
> > And the overall story is mediocre. I keep trying to force myself to
> > like this movie but I just can't.

I've never made it through the whole thing without falling asleep.

Ian J. Ball

Jul 24, 2017, 12:23:46 PM7/24/17
On 2017-07-24 14:49:25 +0000, Ian J. Ball said:

> On 2017-07-24 12:22:24 +0000, Obveeus said:
>
>> What did you watch?
>
> I took things slow on Sunday...:
>
> Longmire (The Netflix) - "The Calling Back". A depressing episode in
> which Walt (and Cady) try to investigate the rape of a native girl (on
> the edge of the Res., so Mathias has to be brought in too - and it
> turns out Mathias is about to lose his job...) by some of the oil rig
> workers (incl. Nick E. Tarabay of "The Expanse" and "Spartacus"). The
> victim's mother was truly hateful - if I was Walt I would have just
> shot her on the spot!!
> Meanwhile, the new deputy (Barry Sloane) shows signs of being a
> problem, but Walt doesn't really listen when Ferg tries to warn Walt
> about it. I'm guessing the new deputy isn't going to be lasting long...

I forgot to mention a subplot in this episode I liked quite a bit:

It seems Vic is falling apart (you see, her husband is divorcing her
(offscreen)...), which Walt discovers when he visits Vic's place... in
order to serve her with an eviction notice!! So now Vic has no place to
live!

Cady: Well, can't she live with you?
Walt: (flatly) No.

Heh... In the end, Vic goes to live with Cady!

There's the premise of a madcap sitcom in here somewhere, I'm quite sure... ;)

Arthur Lipscomb

Jul 24, 2017, 12:58:39 PM7/24/17
On 7/24/2017 7:52 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
> On 2017-07-24 14:38:37 +0000, Arthur Lipscomb said:
>
>> On 7/24/2017 5:22 AM, Obveeus wrote:
>>> I watched:
>>>
>>> What did you watch?
>>
>> Big Brother - Still making my way through this.
>
> Why?!!

That's a question I ask myself. Habit I guess. It usually makes for
good background noise while I do other stuff.

>> The Fifth Element (4K blu-ray) - In spite of my mixed at best feelings
>> about this movie I went ahead and upgraded to 4K. But not even the
>> enhanced picture and Dolby Atmos sound could help. It's *not* funny!
>> And the overall story is mediocre. I keep trying to force myself to
>> like this movie but I just can't.
>
> That's about how I feel...
>
>> War for the Planet of the Apes (theatrical)
>
> I still have seen none of the PotA reboots. Part of the problem is that
> I can't get the first two, commercial free, without paying an arm and a
> leg for them. [sigh...]

If you like the originals they are a must watch.

anim8rfsk

Jul 24, 2017, 1:03:51 PM7/24/17
In article <ol58o9$ma8$1...@dont-email.me>,
Ian likes The Originals but I'm not sure what that has to do with apes?

icebreaker

Jul 24, 2017, 2:15:17 PM7/24/17
The Open (NBC) -- After letting nerves get to him and his 3 shot lead
degrading to one behind after the 13th hole, Jordan Spieth goes to
another level and scorches Royal Birkdale going 5 under par over the
last five holes to win The Open Championship (British Open). He
becomes only the 2nd player after Jack Nicklaus to win 3 majors by the
age of 24 and actually has 3 more tour wins than Jack did at this age.
(caveat: Spieth joined the tour at 19 while Jack joined post Ohio
State).

Orphan Black (BBCA) -- there's a separate thread above recapping it by
Kerman.

Doubt (CBS) -- x 2. Been quickly going through the Saturday burnoff by
CBS. This was just an ill conceived effort with some stunt casting.

---
http://www.avg.com

Obveeus

Jul 24, 2017, 2:19:35 PM7/24/17

On 7/24/2017 10:38 AM, Arthur Lipscomb wrote:

> The Fifth Element (4K blu-ray) - In spite of my mixed at best feelings
> about this movie I went ahead and upgraded to 4K. But not even the
> enhanced picture and Dolby Atmos sound could help. It's *not* funny!
> And the overall story is mediocre. I keep trying to force myself to
> like this movie but I just can't.

FIFTH ELEMENT is funny...and even socially relevant/poignant. Odd that
you found the lame humor and shallow pool social commentary of HIDDEN
FIGURES likeable, but not the much funnier and much more socially
relevant FIFTH ELEMENT.

Arthur Lipscomb

Jul 24, 2017, 2:50:52 PM7/24/17
I don't see what's so odd about forming an opinion about a movie that
seems to be shared with almost everyone else who sees it. Hidden
Figures received near universal praise:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_accolades_received_by_Hidden_Figures

While Fifth Element got mixed reviews and a couple of Raspberry
nominations. But to each his own. If you like it, more power to you.
There are plenty of movies I do like that I would agree can be
considered odd. But Hidden Figures isn't one of them.

anim8rfsk

Jul 24, 2017, 3:10:46 PM7/24/17
THE STRAIN

I can't stand The Strain.

It's pretty much background noise at this point.

Adam H. Kerman

Jul 24, 2017, 3:15:05 PM7/24/17
How the fuck is The Fifth Element socially relevant? For one thing,
Luc Besson started writing it when he was 16 years old. The only
thing relevant to a 16 year old nerd is being able to be the hero
to get the hot action babe. I like Milla Jovovich, She's hot. She's
naked or runs around the beginning of the movie in nothing but Ace
bandages. In the bits of the movie in which she's allowed to create
a character, she does, sort of. What Besson screws up royally is that,
as in insta-growed woman-child, the coming of age story is entirely
missing. All that needs to happen is for a much, much, much older man
to tell her that he loves her. Then she can harness her magical powers.

That's about as socially relevant as a Harlequin romance.

The humor, gah. I agree with Arthur. Maybe I like it more than he does,
but a Besson just lays it on thick, especially in the sequence in Dallas's
apartment in which he hides people in the freezer.

I really can't blame Bruce Willis for hamming it up. I'm sure he does
what the director wanted him to do. Chris Tucker can be funny, but a little
bit of his act goes a long way. Ian Holm is a fantastic actor but saddled
with a character whose motivations changed from one scene to the next;
nothing about his character worked.

I liked Gary Oldman a lot. Forced to act with an enormous piece of plastic
on his head, he somehow created a character.

I'm sure obveeus wasn't being his usual nasty self, taking a cheap shot,
and has actually put a lot of thought into this and will be able to
explain his point.

Obveeus

Jul 24, 2017, 3:15:54 PM7/24/17

On 7/24/2017 2:50 PM, Arthur Lipscomb wrote:
> On 7/24/2017 11:19 AM, Obveeus wrote:
>>

>> On 7/24/2017 10:38 AM, Arthur Lipscomb wrote:
>>
>>> The Fifth Element (4K blu-ray) - In spite of my mixed at best
>>> feelings about this movie I went ahead and upgraded to 4K. But not
>>> even the enhanced picture and Dolby Atmos sound could help. It's
>>> *not* funny! And the overall story is mediocre. I keep trying to
>>> force myself to like this movie but I just can't.
>>
>> FIFTH ELEMENT is funny...and even socially relevant/poignant. Odd
>> that you found the lame humor and shallow pool social commentary of
>> HIDDEN FIGURES likeable, but not the much funnier and much more
>> socially relevant FIFTH ELEMENT.
>

> I don't see what's so odd about forming an opinion about a movie that
> seems to be shared with almost everyone else who sees it. Hidden
> Figures received near universal praise:
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_accolades_received_by_Hidden_Figures

Yes, I know, ..and every one of those people must love 1950s
humor/styling...or they just forgave the film for all the silly bathroom
humor because, after all, it was one of those after school special
'important' messages.

> While Fifth Element got mixed reviews and a couple of Raspberry
> nominations.

Certain campy elements of FIFTH ELEMENT are hard to stomach...like Chris
Rock.

But to each his own. If you like it, more power to you.
> There are plenty of movies I do like that I would agree can be
> considered odd.

Yes, I know. You rewatch a lot of really bad films that I regret having
watched even once.

/ But Hidden Figures isn't one of them.

Note that I wasn't speaking of the film overall, but was rather
specifically isolating the 'humor' and the 'social commentary' because
if there is one of the two films that isn't funny even though it was
constantly trying to be funny, it was HIDDEN FIGURES.

anim8rfsk

Jul 24, 2017, 3:48:30 PM7/24/17
In article <ol5go5$e9g$1...@dont-email.me>,
I like that they save space by having everything retract into the walls.
Where does it possibly *go*?

anim8rfsk

Jul 24, 2017, 3:50:06 PM7/24/17
In article <ol5gpo$iv0$1...@dont-email.me>, Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com>
wrote:

> On 7/24/2017 2:50 PM, Arthur Lipscomb wrote:

> >> FIFTH ELEMENT is funny...and even socially relevant/poignant. Odd
> >> that you found the lame humor and shallow pool social commentary of
> >> HIDDEN FIGURES likeable, but not the much funnier and much more
> >> socially relevant FIFTH ELEMENT.
> >

> > I don't see what's so odd about forming an opinion about a movie that
> > seems to be shared with almost everyone else who sees it. Hidden
> > Figures received near universal praise:
> >
> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_accolades_received_by_Hidden_Figures
>
> Yes, I know, ..and every one of those people must love 1950s
> humor/styling...or they just forgave the film for all the silly bathroom
> humor because, after all, it was one of those after school special
> 'important' messages.
>

> > While Fifth Element got mixed reviews and a couple of Raspberry
> > nominations.
>
> Certain campy elements of FIFTH ELEMENT are hard to stomach...like Chris
> Rock.

Everybody hates Chris.

BTR1701

Jul 24, 2017, 7:38:10 PM7/24/17
In article <anim8rfsk-5097C...@news.easynews.com>,
anim8rfsk <anim...@cox.net> wrote:

> THE STRAIN
>
> I can't stand The Strain.
>
> It's pretty much background noise at this point.

And there was no Rhona this week!

anim8rfsk

Jul 24, 2017, 8:26:47 PM7/24/17
In article <atropos-C9EB49...@news.giganews.com>,
Yep. And apparently no Dutch, although I can't tell the other tall
skinny blonde from her anyway ...

Arthur Lipscomb

Jul 24, 2017, 11:18:33 PM7/24/17
Chris Rock? Must...resist...urge...to...comment... ;-)

> Everybody hates Chris.

I'm sure the Chris Rock version of The Fifth Element is great. Is that
the one where he walked into the space station restaurant and ordered
just one rib? :-)

Obveeus

Jul 24, 2017, 11:23:57 PM7/24/17
Sheesh...Chris Tucker. I hate when the brain wanders like that.

Jim G.

Jul 25, 2017, 8:32:24 PM7/25/17
anim8rfsk sent the following on 07/24/2017 at 02:10 PM:
> THE STRAIN
>
> I can't stand The Strain.
>
> It's pretty much background noise at this point.

At this point, every episode that Zach lives through is a disappointing
episode.

“It smells like bad beer and worse choices. I'll make it work.” – Rosita
Bustillos, WYNONNA EARP

Jim G.

Jul 25, 2017, 8:33:28 PM7/25/17
anim8rfsk sent the following on 07/24/2017 at 07:26 PM:
> In article <atropos-C9EB49...@news.giganews.com>,
> BTR1701 <atr...@mac.com> wrote:
>
>> In article <anim8rfsk-5097C...@news.easynews.com>,
>> anim8rfsk <anim...@cox.net> wrote:
>>
>>> THE STRAIN
>>>
>>> I can't stand The Strain.
>>>
>>> It's pretty much background noise at this point.
>>
>> And there was no Rhona this week!
>
> Yep. And apparently no Dutch, although I can't tell the other tall
> skinny blonde from her anyway ...

Huh? Dutch was there in the most recent outing. Front and center
throughout, actually.

Jim G.

Jul 25, 2017, 8:34:21 PM7/25/17
Ian J. Ball sent the following on 07/24/2017 at 09:49 AM:
> Zoo (recorded) - "Welcome to the Terra Dome". This episode was pretty
> dang dumb, all around. Not really going to bother to synopsizing much -
> pretty much everybody hates Jamie, except Mitch (and Clementine?);
> EVOL!!1! Athena Karkanis conspires to have the hybrids attack New York
> City (Raiden Global HQ, specifically); and that bitch Dariela conspires
> to get Clementine kidnapped. In the end, the EVOL!!1! head of Raiden
> Global (Sophina Brown) turns up assissinated, and Jamie claims she did
> it because the EVOL!!1! chyck was one of the EVOL!!1! "Shepherds".

I'm still trying to figure out who thought that making hybrids was a
good idea in the first place, and why. But I'm glad that Mitch is back
and has pretty much returned to full Reed Richards mode already.

Jim G.

Jul 25, 2017, 8:40:11 PM7/25/17
Ubiquitous sent the following on 07/24/2017 at 04:46 AM:
> THE LOVE BOAT:
> An extra long ep.
> • "A Good and Faithful Servant". A vacationing chauffeur and his
> wealthy employer fall in love
> • "The Secret Life of Burl Smith". Gopher has fantasies about one of
> the guests, a la Walter Mitty.
> • "Tug of War". A separated couple vie for their son's affection.
> • "Designated Lover". Reggie Jackson goers incognito but when he gets
> tired of being ignored, no one beleves he is who he says he is.

In bit of LOVE BOAT/TWIN PEAKS crossover news (and this is only mildly
spoiler-y on the casting front), Lauren Tewes makes a voice cameo as a
nosey neighbor in the most recent PEAKS.

anim8rfsk

Jul 25, 2017, 9:39:49 PM7/25/17
In article <ol8o5o$3tf$2...@dont-email.me>,
"Jim G." <jimg...@geemail.com.invalid> wrote:

> Ubiquitous sent the following on 07/24/2017 at 04:46 AM:
> > THE LOVE BOAT:
> > An extra long ep.
> > € "A Good and Faithful Servant". A vacationing chauffeur and his
> > wealthy employer fall in love
> > € "The Secret Life of Burl Smith". Gopher has fantasies about one of
> > the guests, a la Walter Mitty.
> > € "Tug of War". A separated couple vie for their son's affection.
> > € "Designated Lover". Reggie Jackson goers incognito but when he gets
> > tired of being ignored, no one beleves he is who he says he is.
>
> In bit of LOVE BOAT/TWIN PEAKS crossover news (and this is only mildly
> spoiler-y on the casting front), Lauren Tewes makes a voice cameo as a
> nosey neighbor in the most recent PEAKS.

Many many years ago a viewing accomplice and I went to a movie starring
Tewes and a very young Jennifer Jason Leigh ... crap, let me look it up
... ah, 1981's Eyes of a Stranger. When Tewes had been on screen
awhile, the audience suddenly realized who it was and murmurs of "Julie
from the Love Boat" and we realized we were the only two people that
came to see Tewes, making us wonder why all the others had come at all

anim8rfsk

Jul 25, 2017, 9:44:38 PM7/25/17
In article <ol8nqk$3tf$1...@dont-email.me>,
"Jim G." <jimg...@geemail.com.invalid> wrote:

> Ian J. Ball sent the following on 07/24/2017 at 09:49 AM:
> > Zoo (recorded) - "Welcome to the Terra Dome". This episode was pretty
> > dang dumb, all around. Not really going to bother to synopsizing much -
> > pretty much everybody hates Jamie, except Mitch (and Clementine?);
> > EVOL!!1! Athena Karkanis conspires to have the hybrids attack New York
> > City (Raiden Global HQ, specifically); and that bitch Dariela conspires
> > to get Clementine kidnapped. In the end, the EVOL!!1! head of Raiden
> > Global (Sophina Brown) turns up assissinated, and Jamie claims she did
> > it because the EVOL!!1! chyck was one of the EVOL!!1! "Shepherds".
>
> I'm still trying to figure out who thought that making hybrids was a
> good idea in the first place, and why.

The Peach swears by her Prius. Me, I like that Penn & Teller BULLSH*T
expose on green cars where they have a guy so gay he's dancing around
throwing flowers like on the intermediate titles on Rocky and Bullwinkle
yammering about how beautiful it is, and Penn says "Are you kidding me?
It looks like an armadillo fucked a dustbuster"

But I'm glad that Mitch is back
> and has pretty much returned to full Reed Richards mode already.

That's something of a stretch.

anim8rfsk

Jul 25, 2017, 9:46:41 PM7/25/17
In article <ol8nn0$3tf$9...@dont-email.me>,
"Jim G." <jimg...@geemail.com.invalid> wrote:

> anim8rfsk sent the following on 07/24/2017 at 02:10 PM:
> > THE STRAIN
> >
> > I can't stand The Strain.
> >
> > It's pretty much background noise at this point.
>
> At this point, every episode that Zach lives through is a disappointing
> episode.

Much less his horrible mother. And tigers? Beautifully groomed tigers?
And I don't even know if his mother is really there or if the Master is
in disguise. Yeah, I know that was last week. It still deserves a 'WTF'

suzeeq

Jul 26, 2017, 12:18:43 AM7/26/17
For Jennifer Jason Leigh of course. And maybe they just wanted to see
the movie.

anim8rfsk

Jul 26, 2017, 12:35:18 AM7/26/17
In article <ol956u$oe0$1...@news.albasani.net>, suzeeq <su...@imbris.com>
wrote:
I guess the latter; I don't think we knew who JJL was yet.

anim8rfsk

Jul 26, 2017, 1:00:42 AM7/26/17
Mike Connors *is* MANNIX!
William Shatner *is* SHATIX!
Together again for the first time!
The Shat is a rich millionaire thinking of running for office who hires
Mannix to see if any dirt can be dug up on him. Secretly The Shat is
owned by the mob, who follow Mannix around and kill anybody he talks to,
sometimes before he's even out of earshot, because *that* won't raise
any suspicions. One of the victims is former Batgirl and more
importantly Marta the green Orion slave dancing girl on Star Trek,
Yvonne Craig.
This was episode 21 of season 6. Rather bizarrely they would recycle
this exact same plot for episode 24, the season ender. This time one of
the victims is Arlene Martel, Spock's wife on Star Trek. Jessica Walter
plays the politician's wife this time out, a spry 30 year old, 40 years
before she'd seduce Leonard on The Big Bang Theory.

Jim G.

Jul 26, 2017, 1:53:09 AM7/26/17
anim8rfsk sent the following on 07/25/2017 at 08:39 PM:
I'm not gonna lie to you. I would never have spent money just to see her
in a movie. But I wasn't a LOVE BOAT fan, either. :)

Jim G.

Jul 26, 2017, 1:53:45 AM7/26/17
anim8rfsk sent the following on 07/25/2017 at 08:44 PM:
> In article <ol8nqk$3tf$1...@dont-email.me>,
> "Jim G." <jimg...@geemail.com.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Ian J. Ball sent the following on 07/24/2017 at 09:49 AM:
>>> Zoo (recorded) - "Welcome to the Terra Dome". This episode was pretty
>>> dang dumb, all around. Not really going to bother to synopsizing much -
>>> pretty much everybody hates Jamie, except Mitch (and Clementine?);
>>> EVOL!!1! Athena Karkanis conspires to have the hybrids attack New York
>>> City (Raiden Global HQ, specifically); and that bitch Dariela conspires
>>> to get Clementine kidnapped. In the end, the EVOL!!1! head of Raiden
>>> Global (Sophina Brown) turns up assissinated, and Jamie claims she did
>>> it because the EVOL!!1! chyck was one of the EVOL!!1! "Shepherds".
>>
>> I'm still trying to figure out who thought that making hybrids was a
>> good idea in the first place, and why.
>
> The Peach swears by her Prius.

Grrrrrrr. Don't make me come down there. :)

In case you're being serious -- given your CBS boycott -- I'll point out
that I'm referring to *animal* hybrids here.

> Me, I like that Penn & Teller BULLSH*T
> expose on green cars where they have a guy so gay he's dancing around
> throwing flowers like on the intermediate titles on Rocky and Bullwinkle
> yammering about how beautiful it is, and Penn says "Are you kidding me?
> It looks like an armadillo fucked a dustbuster"
>
> But I'm glad that Mitch is back
>> and has pretty much returned to full Reed Richards mode already.
>
> That's something of a stretch.

He's fantastic.

Jim G.

Jul 26, 2017, 1:53:58 AM7/26/17
anim8rfsk sent the following on 07/25/2017 at 08:46 PM:
> In article <ol8nn0$3tf$9...@dont-email.me>,
> "Jim G." <jimg...@geemail.com.invalid> wrote:
>
>> anim8rfsk sent the following on 07/24/2017 at 02:10 PM:
>>> THE STRAIN
>>>
>>> I can't stand The Strain.
>>>
>>> It's pretty much background noise at this point.
>>
>> At this point, every episode that Zach lives through is a disappointing
>> episode.
>
> Much less his horrible mother. And tigers? Beautifully groomed tigers?

Yeah, and I was rooting big-time for those well-groomed tigers, let me
tell you.

> And I don't even know if his mother is really there or if the Master is
> in disguise. Yeah, I know that was last week. It still deserves a 'WTF'

It's Mom. With a lot of cosmetic help.

anim8rfsk

Jul 26, 2017, 2:03:02 AM7/26/17
In article <ol9ai3$9q4$1...@dont-email.me>,
"Jim G." <jimg...@geemail.com.invalid> wrote:

> anim8rfsk sent the following on 07/25/2017 at 08:46 PM:
> > In article <ol8nn0$3tf$9...@dont-email.me>,
> > "Jim G." <jimg...@geemail.com.invalid> wrote:
> >
> >> anim8rfsk sent the following on 07/24/2017 at 02:10 PM:

> >> At this point, every episode that Zach lives through is a disappointing
> >> episode.
> >
> > Much less his horrible mother. And tigers? Beautifully groomed tigers?
>
> Yeah, and I was rooting big-time for those well-groomed tigers, let me
> tell you.
>
> > And I don't even know if his mother is really there or if the Master is
> > in disguise. Yeah, I know that was last week. It still deserves a 'WTF'
>
> It's Mom. With a lot of cosmetic help.

So did she whisk away and the new Master whisked into her place for no
reason whatsoever?

anim8rfsk

Jul 26, 2017, 2:05:01 AM7/26/17
In article <ol9ahm$9q4$9...@dont-email.me>,
"Jim G." <jimg...@geemail.com.invalid> wrote:

> anim8rfsk sent the following on 07/25/2017 at 08:44 PM:
> > In article <ol8nqk$3tf$1...@dont-email.me>,
> > "Jim G." <jimg...@geemail.com.invalid> wrote:
> >
> >> Ian J. Ball sent the following on 07/24/2017 at 09:49 AM:
> >>
> >> I'm still trying to figure out who thought that making hybrids was a
> >> good idea in the first place, and why.
> >
> > The Peach swears by her Prius.
>
> Grrrrrrr. Don't make me come down there. :)
>
> In case you're being serious -- given your CBS boycott -- I'll point out
> that I'm referring to *animal* hybrids here.

I figured, but any chance to tell the story below:

> > Me, I like that Penn & Teller BULLSH*T
> > expose on green cars where they have a guy so gay he's dancing around
> > throwing flowers like on the intermediate titles on Rocky and Bullwinkle
> > yammering about how beautiful it is, and Penn says "Are you kidding me?
> > It looks like an armadillo fucked a dustbuster"
> >
> > But I'm glad that Mitch is back
> >> and has pretty much returned to full Reed Richards mode already.
> >
> > That's something of a stretch.
>
> He's fantastic.

Any port in a Storm.

(yeah, yeah, so Sue me)

anim8rfsk

Jul 26, 2017, 2:06:41 AM7/26/17
In article <ol9agh$9q4$8...@dont-email.me>,
It was a slow weekend, there weren't any other entertainment options ...

Jim G.

Jul 26, 2017, 2:07:15 AM7/26/17
anim8rfsk sent the following on 07/26/2017 at 01:04 AM:
See, here's the Thing...

Jim G.

Jul 26, 2017, 2:09:13 AM7/26/17
anim8rfsk sent the following on 07/26/2017 at 01:02 AM:
IIRC, the Master wanted her around because she had some sort of psychic
connection to hubby and son, and the Master definitely wanted hubby out
of the picture. In any case, she's not looking very good these days
without the makeup and fake bits.

anim8rfsk

Jul 26, 2017, 2:18:20 AM7/26/17
In article <ol9bel$ccr$2...@dont-email.me>,
Right, but the scene with the tiger, she's embracing the kid, and then
they cut and it's really the Master embracing the kid, implying (Robin?)
that she was never there, but it was always the Master pretending to be
her.

anim8rfsk

Jul 26, 2017, 2:18:40 AM7/26/17
In article <ol9bav$ccr$1...@dont-email.me>,
Such a Johnny come lately

A Friend

Jul 26, 2017, 6:43:40 AM7/26/17
In article <anim8rfsk-7B1B8...@news.easynews.com>,
anim8rfsk <anim...@cox.net> wrote:

> In article <ol956u$oe0$1...@news.albasani.net>, suzeeq <su...@imbris.com>
> wrote:
>
> > anim8rfsk wrote:

> > > Many many years ago a viewing accomplice and I went to a movie starring
> > > Tewes and a very young Jennifer Jason Leigh ... crap, let me look it up
> > > ... ah, 1981's Eyes of a Stranger. When Tewes had been on screen
> > > awhile, the audience suddenly realized who it was and murmurs of "Julie
> > > from the Love Boat" and we realized we were the only two people that
> > > came to see Tewes, making us wonder why all the others had come at all
> > >
> > For Jennifer Jason Leigh of course. And maybe they just wanted to see
> > the movie.
>
> I guess the latter; I don't think we knew who JJL was yet.

Like you, I don't think we did. FAST TIMES AT RIDGEMONT HIGH came out
the following year.

JJL turned 55 last February. Cripes.

anim8rfsk

Jul 26, 2017, 7:18:56 AM7/26/17
In article <260720170643304972%no...@noway.com>,
Ack!

Tewes will be 64 this year.

Phoebe Cates is the youngest of them all at 54.

Ubiquitous

Jul 26, 2017, 9:12:00 AM7/26/17
jimg...@geemail.com.invalid wrote:
>Ubiquitous sent the following on 07/24/2017 at 04:46 AM:

>> THE LOVE BOAT:
>> An extra long ep.
>> • "A Good and Faithful Servant". A vacationing chauffeur and his
>> wealthy employer fall in love
>> • "The Secret Life of Burl Smith". Gopher has fantasies about one of
>> the guests, a la Walter Mitty.
>> • "Tug of War". A separated couple vie for their son's affection.
>> • "Designated Lover". Reggie Jackson goers incognito but when he gets
>> tired of being ignored, no one beleves he is who he says he is.
>
>In bit of LOVE BOAT/TWIN PEAKS crossover news (and this is only mildly
>spoiler-y on the casting front), Lauren Tewes makes a voice cameo as a
>nosey neighbor in the most recent PEAKS.

Post spoiler alerts, dammit! ;-)

Jim G.

Jul 26, 2017, 2:15:41 PM7/26/17
Ubiquitous sent the following on 07/25/2017 at 08:05 PM:
> jimg...@geemail.com.invalid wrote:
>> Ubiquitous sent the following on 07/24/2017 at 04:46 AM:
>
>>> THE LOVE BOAT:
>>> An extra long ep.
>>> • "A Good and Faithful Servant". A vacationing chauffeur and his
>>> wealthy employer fall in love
>>> • "The Secret Life of Burl Smith". Gopher has fantasies about one of
>>> the guests, a la Walter Mitty.
>>> • "Tug of War". A separated couple vie for their son's affection.
>>> • "Designated Lover". Reggie Jackson goers incognito but when he gets
>>> tired of being ignored, no one beleves he is who he says he is.
>>
>> In bit of LOVE BOAT/TWIN PEAKS crossover news (and this is only mildly
>> spoiler-y on the casting front), Lauren Tewes makes a voice cameo as a
>> nosey neighbor in the most recent PEAKS.
>
> Post spoiler alerts, dammit! ;-)

Well, it's not as if I pointed out that she's the grandmother of the
lovechild of Agent Cooper and Audrey Horne, both of whom have been
abducted by aliens led by the real Laura Palmer, who was replaced as a
teenager with an alien clone so that the clone could die in her place,
and despite Sheriff Truman's best efforts at bringing down the alien
craft by employing a nuclear UFO zapper designed by Major Briggs, who's
really not dead but is living in marital bliss outside of Reno with Elvis.

Jim G.

Jul 26, 2017, 2:16:04 PM7/26/17
anim8rfsk sent the following on 07/26/2017 at 01:06 AM:
The others were probably just taking advantage of the
industrial-strength air-conditioning. But then again, all AC in your
neck of the woods is probably industrial-strength, so I'm probably going
to have the Department of Redundancies Department knocking on *my* door,
too. :)

Jim G.

Jul 26, 2017, 2:17:43 PM7/26/17
anim8rfsk sent the following on 07/26/2017 at 01:18 AM:
> In article <ol9bel$ccr$2...@dont-email.me>,
> "Jim G." <jimg...@geemail.com.invalid> wrote:
>
>> anim8rfsk sent the following on 07/26/2017 at 01:02 AM:

>>> So did she whisk away and the new Master whisked into her place for no
>>> reason whatsoever?
>>
>> IIRC, the Master wanted her around because she had some sort of psychic
>> connection to hubby and son, and the Master definitely wanted hubby out
>> of the picture. In any case, she's not looking very good these days
>> without the makeup and fake bits.
>
> Right, but the scene with the tiger, she's embracing the kid, and then
> they cut and it's really the Master embracing the kid, implying (Robin?)
> that she was never there, but it was always the Master pretending to be
> her.

Oh, that. I wasn't sure what to make of that sequence, either. They
*did* remind us that Dad did a number on Mom in a fight at the end of
last season that led Zach to push the nuke button, but we didn't
actually see Mom die. I think. And we also didn't see the usual transfer
bit take place that happens when the Master jumps from one body to
another. But we also didn't see Mom and the Master together in that zoo
scene in this season's premiere, either, so you may be on to something.

Jim G.

Jul 26, 2017, 2:18:24 PM7/26/17
anim8rfsk sent the following on 07/26/2017 at 01:18 AM:
Marvel really needs to relaunch that book and stop being such tools.

suzeeq

Jul 26, 2017, 2:39:35 PM7/26/17
It feels like we have A/C, but it's just a couple fans at both ends of
the house, plus a couple ceiling fans. We leave all the windows open at
night, gets as low as 50, and close them when it begin to heat up.
Sometimes I need to wear a sleeve shirt, or go outside for a while to
warm up. It's going to be around 90+ for the next couple weeks, we'll
see if that's all that's needed.

Jim G.

Jul 26, 2017, 4:04:23 PM7/26/17
suzeeq sent the following on 07/26/2017 at 01:39 PM:
I love being able to crank open a bunch of windows overnight for a nice
crossbreeze when the temps and the dewpoint drop into the 60s or below.
If I can do that, then I can make it through the entire next day with
nothing more than a fan at a certain point, and no need for AC, by just
keeping drapes closed on whichever side of the house is getting the sun
at the moment. And when I'm out for the day, I just close 'em all.
Ideally, I'll try to get the interior temp down into the low- to mid-60s
overnight for all sorts of reasons. The power company doesn't like me
very much during the summer months. Or the spring and fall, for that
matter. :)

anim8rfsk

Jul 26, 2017, 4:22:20 PM7/26/17
In article <olam5s$l2v$6...@dont-email.me>,
Richards is back in the Dr. Doom Iron Man books, as is Benjy, and Johnny
showed up in the new Spectacular Spider-Man title. No mention of Sue
yet.

anim8rfsk

Jul 26, 2017, 4:28:57 PM7/26/17
In article <olam4j$l2v$5...@dont-email.me>,
Occam says Mom wasn't there. I have this horrible idea that this is how
the did will come to turn against the Master and save the day. Thing
is, I don't *want* the kid to be redeemed, I want him to be tortured
horribly for all eternity.

anim8rfsk

Jul 26, 2017, 4:47:20 PM7/26/17
In article <olam1h$l2v$3...@dont-email.me>,
"Jim G." <jimg...@geemail.com.invalid> wrote:

> anim8rfsk sent the following on 07/26/2017 at 01:06 AM:
> > In article <ol9agh$9q4$8...@dont-email.me>,
> > "Jim G." <jimg...@geemail.com.invalid> wrote:
> >
> >> anim8rfsk sent the following on 07/25/2017 at 08:39 PM:

> >> I'm not gonna lie to you. I would never have spent money just to see her
> >> in a movie. But I wasn't a LOVE BOAT fan, either. :)
> >
> > It was a slow weekend, there weren't any other entertainment options ...
>
> The others were probably just taking advantage of the
> industrial-strength air-conditioning.

Hmm. I had to look it up. It was opening weekend or close to it, which
would have it the end of March or beginning of April. Other than that
it was a good theory.

But then again, all AC in your
> neck of the woods is probably industrial-strength, so I'm probably going
> to have the Department of Redundancies Department knocking on *my* door,
> too. :)

I used to date somebody whose mother was on a household budget so they
kept the place uncomfortably warm, despite being, you know, wealthy. So
her mom had a swamp cooler installed because that didn't come out of her
budget, but electricity did, so, more shoes. The thing is, swamp
coolers don't actually *work* they just make the humidity unpleasant.
They saved the real A/C for the most unpleasant of days. Needless to
say, her daughter and I spent our time at my place. So not everybody
had industrial strength A/C or used it. In fact, the above viewing
accomplice's mother didn't use her A/C either. They left it either off
or set to 95逆.

anim8rfsk

Jul 26, 2017, 4:48:20 PM7/26/17
In article <olanl3$ojg$1...@news.albasani.net>, suzeeq <su...@imbris.com>
wrote:
This is all some weird fantasy you dreamed up, right? I almost believed
you until you said your windows opened.

suzeeq

Jul 26, 2017, 4:51:01 PM7/26/17
Forgot to mention the house is practically surrounded by trees, so
there's a lot of shade. The temps in the house will get down to about 69
by morning, and the only day it was over 76 was the day we didn't close
the windows soon enough. Daytime humidity is usually less than 20%,
about 50% at night.

anim8rfsk

Jul 26, 2017, 4:51:07 PM7/26/17
In article <olascj$dlo$1...@dont-email.me>,
I just got my annual letter from the power company trying to get me to
save money by switching to a plan where I leave everything off between 3
and 6pm or something. At which point it would be over 100逆 in the
house and the A/C would howl all night trying to catch up.

anim8rfsk

Jul 26, 2017, 4:53:26 PM7/26/17
In article <olam0p$l2v$2...@dont-email.me>,
"Jim G." <jimg...@geemail.com.invalid> wrote:

> Ubiquitous sent the following on 07/25/2017 at 08:05 PM:
> > jimg...@geemail.com.invalid wrote:
> >> Ubiquitous sent the following on 07/24/2017 at 04:46 AM:

> >> In bit of LOVE BOAT/TWIN PEAKS crossover news (and this is only mildly
> >> spoiler-y on the casting front), Lauren Tewes makes a voice cameo as a
> >> nosey neighbor in the most recent PEAKS.
> >
> > Post spoiler alerts, dammit! ;-)
>
> Well, it's not as if I pointed out that she's the grandmother of the
> lovechild of Agent Cooper and Audrey Horne, both of whom have been
> abducted by aliens led by the real Laura Palmer, who was replaced as a
> teenager with an alien clone so that the clone could die in her place,
> and despite Sheriff Truman's best efforts at bringing down the alien
> craft by employing a nuclear UFO zapper designed by Major Briggs, who's
> really not dead but is living in marital bliss outside of Reno with Elvis.

That's not as unbelievable as you and Suzzeq leaving your windows open.

Jim G.

Jul 26, 2017, 5:26:36 PM7/26/17
anim8rfsk sent the following on 07/26/2017 at 03:22 PM:
...which I won't read.

> as is Benjy, and Johnny
> showed up in the new Spectacular Spider-Man title.

...which I continue to vacillate over. That's Fraction's work, right? I
like him, but I would hate to feel like I'm cheating on Slott.

> No mention of Sue
> yet.

She's there. We're just not seeing her.

But I want them all *together*. Doing FF stuff.

Jim G.

Jul 26, 2017, 5:27:17 PM7/26/17
anim8rfsk sent the following on 07/26/2017 at 03:28 PM:
Why? Just because he deliberately set off an explosion that killed a
large portion of NYC and then whined that he's lonely? He's just a crazy
kid. Cut him some slack. Or, you know, not. Tigers.

Jim G.

Jul 26, 2017, 5:28:07 PM7/26/17
suzeeq sent the following on 07/26/2017 at 03:50 PM:
That never hurts, either. Unless the trees are close enough to the house
to be blocking some of the breeze.

> The temps in the house will get down to about 69
> by morning, and the only day it was over 76 was the day we didn't close
> the windows soon enough. Daytime humidity is usually less than 20%,
> about 50% at night.

I'm looking at some upcoming overnight lows in the upper 50s. I'm
looking forward to it!

Jim G.

Jul 26, 2017, 5:29:06 PM7/26/17
anim8rfsk sent the following on 07/26/2017 at 03:51 PM:
Isn't that more or less the hottest part of the day everyplace on the
freaking planet? I guess that that's their point from a demand
perspective, but it's kind of like encouraging people to eat whenever
they want to, as long as they refrain from doing so when they're
actually hungry.

> At which point it would be over 100°f in the
> house and the A/C would howl all night trying to catch up.

At some point, the giant ants are going to return and this is all going
to be irrelevant for you.

Jim G.

Jul 26, 2017, 5:29:45 PM7/26/17
anim8rfsk sent the following on 07/26/2017 at 03:53 PM:
If it makes you feel better, most of my neighbors don't, apparently. I
hear nearby AC unit kicking on and off all night, even when the temps
are down in the low 70s or below. Craziness.

suzeeq

Jul 26, 2017, 5:31:33 PM7/26/17
Yep, this house has twice as many windows as any other I've lived in,
and on all 4 sides.

suzeeq

Jul 26, 2017, 5:32:28 PM7/26/17
They're not that closely spaced, we get plenty of breeze when there is any.

>> The temps in the house will get down to about 69
>> by morning, and the only day it was over 76 was the day we didn't close
>> the windows soon enough. Daytime humidity is usually less than 20%,
>> about 50% at night.
>
> I'm looking at some upcoming overnight lows in the upper 50s. I'm
> looking forward to it!

Yes!

suzeeq

Jul 26, 2017, 5:33:24 PM7/26/17
>> At which point it would be over 100逆 in the
>> house and the A/C would howl all night trying to catch up.
>
> At some point, the giant ants are going to return and this is all going
> to be irrelevant for you.

Carpenter ants?

suzeeq

Jul 26, 2017, 5:33:57 PM7/26/17
Yeah, I don't much care for A/C anyway.

Jim G.

Jul 26, 2017, 5:41:51 PM7/26/17
suzeeq sent the following on 07/26/2017 at 04:33 PM:
>>> At which point it would be over 100°f in the
>>> house and the A/C would howl all night trying to catch up.
>>
>> At some point, the giant ants are going to return and this is all going
>> to be irrelevant for you.
>>
> Carpenter ants?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Them!

One of my all-time faves from the era, and one that I happily rewatch on
a regular basis. There's just something about those (relatively) early
sci-fi efforts and their Cold War connections. :)

Jim G.

Jul 26, 2017, 5:50:18 PM7/26/17
Jim G. sent the following on 07/26/2017 at 04:41 PM:
Note that you have to include the exclamation point as part of the link,
which TB failed to do for me. So let's try this:

http://tinyurl.com/mz982f5

anim8rfsk

Jul 26, 2017, 5:53:57 PM7/26/17
In article <olb1nh$3f4$1...@news.albasani.net>, suzeeq <su...@imbris.com>
wrote:
It's a madhouse! A madhouse!!!!

anim8rfsk

Jul 26, 2017, 5:54:48 PM7/26/17
In article <olb1cl$tgr$6...@dont-email.me>,
Why would an A/C unit kick off?

BTW, yesterday the A/C on my car failed on the way home from The
Safeway. :(

BTR1701

Jul 26, 2017, 5:56:11 PM7/26/17
This is my favorite time of the year, when I leave my windows open all
night and the sea breeze keeps my casa cool and I fall asleep to the sound
of the waves breaking.

anim8rfsk

Jul 26, 2017, 5:56:13 PM7/26/17
In article <olb1s2$3f4$4...@news.albasani.net>, suzeeq <su...@imbris.com>
wrote:
blink

blink, blink

anim8rfsk

Jul 26, 2017, 5:57:52 PM7/26/17
In article <olb1be$tgr$5...@dont-email.me>,
It's at least as stupid as them trying to get me to sign up for only
green power, which somehow is segregated from the artificial electricity
that travels down the same wires.

> > At which point it would be over 100逆 in the
> > house and the A/C would howl all night trying to catch up.
>
> At some point, the giant ants are going to return and this is all going
> to be irrelevant for you.

As long as they look like Marisa Tomei.

anim8rfsk

Jul 26, 2017, 6:00:29 PM7/26/17
In article <olb180$tgr$3...@dont-email.me>,
He's definitely a mamma's boy.

anim8rfsk

Jul 26, 2017, 6:08:18 PM7/26/17
In article <olb16o$tgr$2...@dont-email.me>,
"Jim G." <jimg...@geemail.com.invalid> wrote:

> anim8rfsk sent the following on 07/26/2017 at 03:22 PM:
> > In article <olam5s$l2v$6...@dont-email.me>,
> > "Jim G." <jimg...@geemail.com.invalid> wrote:
> >
> >> anim8rfsk sent the following on 07/26/2017 at 01:18 AM:

> >> Marvel really needs to relaunch that book and stop being such tools.
> >
> > Richards is back in the Dr. Doom Iron Man books,
>
> ...which I won't read.
>
> > as is Benjy, and Johnny
> > showed up in the new Spectacular Spider-Man title.
>
> ...which I continue to vacillate over. That's Fraction's work, right? I
> like him, but I would hate to feel like I'm cheating on Slott.

The New SPECTACULAR is written by Chip Zdarsky and arted by Adam Kubert.

> > No mention of Sue
> > yet.
>
> She's there. We're just not seeing her.
>
> But I want them all *together*. Doing FF stuff.

In/from the Baxter Building.

anim8rfsk

Jul 26, 2017, 6:12:01 PM7/26/17
In article <HLydnTnpE41vkuTE...@giganews.com>,
You live by Big Surf?

Jim G.

Jul 26, 2017, 6:31:29 PM7/26/17
suzeeq sent the following on 07/26/2017 at 04:33 PM:
I made a rare exception a couple of weeks ago when I came home and the
heat index was still in the 100s, but I just couldn't put off mowing the
lawn any longer. So I cranked up the AC about 30 minutes before I was
done with the work. It felt great to come back inside after that!

Jim G.

Jul 26, 2017, 6:32:23 PM7/26/17
anim8rfsk sent the following on 07/26/2017 at 05:08 PM:
> In article <olb16o$tgr$2...@dont-email.me>,
> "Jim G." <jimg...@geemail.com.invalid> wrote:
>
>> anim8rfsk sent the following on 07/26/2017 at 03:22 PM:

>>> Richards is back in the Dr. Doom Iron Man books,
>>
>> ...which I won't read.
>>
>>> as is Benjy, and Johnny
>>> showed up in the new Spectacular Spider-Man title.
>>
>> ...which I continue to vacillate over. That's Fraction's work, right? I
>> like him, but I would hate to feel like I'm cheating on Slott.
>
> The New SPECTACULAR is written by Chip Zdarsky and arted by Adam Kubert.

Ah. Fraction's partner in crime. I remembered *some* sort of Fraction
connection there. CZ is pretty funny, but you still just made me that
much less inclined to check it out.

>>> No mention of Sue
>>> yet.
>>
>> She's there. We're just not seeing her.
>>
>> But I want them all *together*. Doing FF stuff.
>
> In/from the Baxter Building.

Yep.

Jim G.

Jul 26, 2017, 6:35:01 PM7/26/17
BTR1701 sent the following on 07/26/2017 at 04:56 PM:
I'd hate you even more if it wasn't for the whole California part of the
equation. As gorgeous as the state is, I'd go nuts from the constant
reminders of how easily stupid people can mess up a good thing. Still,
I'd be lying if I said that I didn't miss the trips that I used to take
out there for work stuff. But I always had the advantage of knowing that
I'd be leaving the crazy people behind before long...

Jim G.

Jul 26, 2017, 6:35:26 PM7/26/17
anim8rfsk sent the following on 07/26/2017 at 04:54 PM:
More craziness.

> BTW, yesterday the A/C on my car failed on the way home from The
> Safeway. :(

Did you at least have your oven mitts with you?

anim8rfsk

Jul 26, 2017, 6:55:45 PM7/26/17
In article <olb57q$cdr$1...@dont-email.me>,
"Jim G." <jimg...@geemail.com.invalid> wrote:

> anim8rfsk sent the following on 07/26/2017 at 04:54 PM:
> > In article <olb1cl$tgr$6...@dont-email.me>,
> > "Jim G." <jimg...@geemail.com.invalid> wrote:
> >
> >> anim8rfsk sent the following on 07/26/2017 at 03:53 PM:

> >> If it makes you feel better, most of my neighbors don't, apparently. I
> >> hear nearby AC unit kicking on and off all night, even when the temps
> >> are down in the low 70s or below. Craziness.
> >
> > Why would an A/C unit kick off?
>
> More craziness.
>
> > BTW, yesterday the A/C on my car failed on the way home from The
> > Safeway. :(
>
> Did you at least have your oven mitts with you?

LOL, fortunately The Safeway put in solar powered parking lot covers a
couple years ago, so I'd been parked in the shade, or, yeah, it would
have been pretty awful.

suzeeq

Jul 26, 2017, 6:56:41 PM7/26/17
Too cold. You don't need it very much when you live in the North.

suzeeq

Jul 26, 2017, 6:57:25 PM7/26/17
Jim G. wrote:
> suzeeq sent the following on 07/26/2017 at 04:33 PM:
>> Jim G. wrote:
>>> anim8rfsk sent the following on 07/26/2017 at 03:53 PM:

>>> If it makes you feel better, most of my neighbors don't, apparently. I
>>> hear nearby AC unit kicking on and off all night, even when the temps
>>> are down in the low 70s or below. Craziness.
>>>
>> Yeah, I don't much care for A/C anyway.
>
> I made a rare exception a couple of weeks ago when I came home and the
> heat index was still in the 100s, but I just couldn't put off mowing the
> lawn any longer. So I cranked up the AC about 30 minutes before I was
> done with the work. It felt great to come back inside after that!

Yeah that's niiiiice. But after about 20 minutes you begin to feel chilled.

anim8rfsk

Jul 26, 2017, 6:58:11 PM7/26/17
In article <olb572$cao$1...@dont-email.me>,
California is the only place where I have friends that *don't* want me
to relocate near them; rather, they're all trying to get the Hell out
and have me relocate to where they relocate. Although the guy that
wants me to move with him to Havasu City, where it gets to 135°f on the
shore of a lake, is just crazy.

suzeeq

Jul 26, 2017, 7:01:43 PM7/26/17
BTR1701 wrote:
> Jim G. <jimg...@geemail.com.invalid> wrote:
>
>> anim8rfsk sent the following on 07/26/2017 at 03:53 PM:

>>> That's not as unbelievable as you and Suzzeq leaving your windows open.
>> If it makes you feel better, most of my neighbors don't, apparently. I
>> hear nearby AC unit kicking on and off all night, even when the temps
>> are down in the low 70s or below. Craziness.
>
> This is my favorite time of the year, when I leave my windows open all
> night and the sea breeze keeps my casa cool and I fall asleep to the sound
> of the waves breaking.

Yeah, that'd be cool. And I'm not talking temperture....

anim8rfsk

Jul 26, 2017, 7:03:48 PM7/26/17
In article <olb523$buf$1...@dont-email.me>,
"Jim G." <jimg...@geemail.com.invalid> wrote:

> anim8rfsk sent the following on 07/26/2017 at 05:08 PM:
> > In article <olb16o$tgr$2...@dont-email.me>,
> > "Jim G." <jimg...@geemail.com.invalid> wrote:
> >
> >> anim8rfsk sent the following on 07/26/2017 at 03:22 PM:

> >> ...which I won't read.

> >> ...which I continue to vacillate over. That's Fraction's work, right? I
> >> like him, but I would hate to feel like I'm cheating on Slott.
> >
> > The New SPECTACULAR is written by Chip Zdarsky and arted by Adam Kubert.
>
> Ah. Fraction's partner in crime. I remembered *some* sort of Fraction
> connection there. CZ is pretty funny, but you still just made me that
> much less inclined to check it out.

It's a more back to basics book. Their explanation is that, with the
new movie and such, they wanted a number one that people could jump on
board with and not have to know the history of the Marvel universe to
understand, which is sort of silly given that they've done, what, 5
complete reboots in the last few years? How could *anybody* know the
history at this point? As far as I know, all the current reboots are
still nested inside of Mephisto's spell. And tainted by the filth that
is JMS.

suzeeq

Jul 26, 2017, 7:11:59 PM7/26/17
Move north, at least for the summer. You can pitch a tent in our back
yard. Or rent the storage shed, it has electricity and is about 300 sq
ft, maybe larger. We'll hook you right up to the water hose.

Dimensional Traveler

Jul 26, 2017, 7:14:50 PM7/26/17
>>> At which point it would be over 100°f in the
>>> house and the A/C would howl all night trying to catch up.
>>
>> At some point, the giant ants are going to return and this is all
>> going to be irrelevant for you.
>>
> Carpenter ants?

1950s ants.

instinct are running screaming.

anim8rfsk

Jul 26, 2017, 7:15:22 PM7/26/17
In article <olb7js$kcv$2...@news.albasani.net>, suzeeq <su...@imbris.com>
wrote:
As long as the water is running, it will be fine. Does your wifi reach
to the shed?

anim8rfsk

Jul 26, 2017, 7:15:43 PM7/26/17
In article <olb6oi$lr4$2...@news.albasani.net>, suzeeq <su...@imbris.com>
wrote:
I have no idea what that's like.

Dimensional Traveler

Jul 26, 2017, 7:15:48 PM7/26/17
Was it powered by natural or artificial electricity?

anim8rfsk

Jul 26, 2017, 7:16:22 PM7/26/17
In article <olb6n6$lr4$1...@news.albasani.net>, suzeeq <su...@imbris.com>
wrote:
Too

cold.

Non sequiter.

Does not computer.

Dimensional Traveler

Jul 26, 2017, 7:17:18 PM7/26/17
We'd be happy to gift wrap some for you to take home with you.

Dimensional Traveler

Jul 26, 2017, 7:17:54 PM7/26/17
The Great Melting North?

anim8rfsk

Jul 26, 2017, 7:21:08 PM7/26/17
In article <olb7jh$h8e$3...@dont-email.me>,
Artificial, dude. We don't cotton to any of that old fangled natural
stuff.

suzeeq

Jul 26, 2017, 7:24:47 PM7/26/17
Oh, John Carpenter Ants.