Animal Planet's "Puppy Bowl" draws 8 million viewers throughout marathon

David

Feb 5, 2008, 8:28:15 PM2/5/08
from multichannel news

Puppy Bowl IV' Draws 8 Million Dogged Fans
Animal Planet Unleashes 35% Ratings Hike With Pooch Marathon
By Linda Moss

It might not have been Super Bowl XLII-like, but Animal Planet's Puppy
Bowl IV Sunday scored a ratings touchdown of its own, attracting more
than 8 million unique viewers overall during the event's 12-hour
marathon, officials said Tuesday.

Animal Planet's Puppy BowlPuppy Bowl IV recorded its highest ratings
ever, earning a 0.8 household rating and delivering an average of more
than 1.1 million viewers, up 35% from the previous year, for its 3
p.m. to 6 p.m. premiere telecast, according to Nielsen Media Research
data. The marathon aired form 3 p.m. to 3 a.m.

In the key 25-to-54 demographic, Puppy Bowl IV earned a record 0.5
rating, making it Animal Planet's highest-rated telecast in the last
year among that group of adults. PuppyBowl IV also plunged into the
end zone for Animalplanet.com, helping to bring in 168,629 daily
unique visitors on Sunday -- its highest levels since the passing of
Steve Irwin in September 2006.

Puppy Bowl IV, which marked the first time the event was broadcast in
high-definition for the first time, is Animal Planet's answer to the
Super Bowl giving viewers the chance to get into a different game with
tackles, fumbles and fouls from playful pups.

The "game" takes place in Animal Planet Stadium's custom football
field and features an array of puppies including everything from baby
beagles to mini dachshunds to mixed breeds as they give their all to
make the big plays. Many of the cute canines are adoptable and come
from Washington-area shelters.

For all the feline fans, there is the Bissell Kitty Half-Time Show,
featuring lively kittens showing off their moves on a glittery stage
and chasing each other around the field.

Obveeus

Feb 5, 2008, 9:11:14 PM2/5/08

"David" <diml...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> It might not have been Super Bowl XLII-like, but Animal Planet's Puppy
> Bowl IV Sunday scored a ratings touchdown of its own, attracting more
> than 8 million unique viewers overall during the event's 12-hour
> marathon, officials said Tuesday.

How long does a viewer have to 'view' a channel to be counted in a stat like
this? Do you have to watch for 30 minutes to count as a viewer? Do you
have to watch for 6 minutes to count as a viewer? 1 minute? Does just
scrolling by as fast as you can click the channel up button count? I hate
the way some spin articles on ratings (and cable does it the most) report
ratings in a manner that can't be compared with any other program. Is 8
million viewers over the 12 hours better or worse than MTV? TBS? History
Channel? etc...?

> Animal Planet's Puppy BowlPuppy Bowl IV recorded its highest ratings
> ever, earning a 0.8 household rating and delivering an average of more
> than 1.1 million viewers, up 35% from the previous year, for its 3
> p.m. to 6 p.m. premiere telecast, according to Nielsen Media Research
> data. The marathon aired form 3 p.m. to 3 a.m.

Over 1 million people watching puppies frollick is a lot of viewers. Still,
it would have been more interesting to know how many people were watching
during the Superbowl.

> For all the feline fans, there is the Bissell Kitty Half-Time Show,
> featuring lively kittens showing off their moves on a glittery stage
> and chasing each other around the field.

See, even with the puppybowl they know that they can boost ratings by
showing a little pussy at halftime.

Steven L.

Feb 5, 2008, 9:32:52 PM2/5/08
Obveeus wrote:

> See, even with the puppybowl they know that they can boost ratings by
> showing a little pussy at halftime.

They should have had a catfight too.

--
Steven L.