What Did You Watch? 2013-12-29 (Saturday)

Ubiquitous

Dec 29, 2013, 8:48:11 AM12/29/13
The day I paid $49.30 for $50 of groceries and a $50 gas card at Publix,
I watched:

SNL:
"The First Five Years". Interviews with cast members, writers, guests,
and some other random celebrities about the first five years of Saturday
Night Live. As I said earlier this month, the show was highly
experimental and much better in its early years and never recovered once
it became mainstream. Oh yeah, Chevy Chase was a bigger jerk than I
realized. Al "Stolen Election" Frankin whined about not getting
involved with the cast orgies. John Belushi wanted to leave the show but
the way Chevy Chase handled his departure made that impossible. I have
no clue why Penny Marshal was intervierwed for this. I had totally
forgotten they did a show live from Mardis Gras one year.

REGULAR SHOW:
An epic (EPIC!) Xmas ep in which the gang has to destroy a wish box one
of muscke-bound Santa's elves made with dark magic by throwing it into
the lava in a cave at a rival park's that has traps to keep out people:
a dance dance game whose dance moves are used to avoid spikes; a pinball
machine; and bear that must be wrestled.

WONDER WOMAN:
"Wonder Woman Meets Baroness Von Gunther". When Steve Trevor is
implicated as being a NAZI spy, Dianna Prince and he set out to
investigate, leading to them visiting the imprisoned baroness from the
pilot (at least I think that's what they said, but she looked nothing
like her), not realizing that she has a key to a secret door that lets
her slip out of jail at night unnoticed. Geez, is 50% of the population
in DC NAZI spies? Meanwhile, the wardon's stupid brat stumbles upon the
plan while playing detective, requiring Wonder Woman to rescue him and
entrust him with her lasso when Steve comes looking for Dianna. Stupid
move! I wonder why no one noticed the wall ladder the kid was on had
fallen off the wall? Anyway, the Baroness just happened to notice what
happened from her cell window ands tricks the stupid kid into leading
her NAZI guard to where he hid her lasso and taking it. When Steve gets
too close to the truth, she kidnaps him, and when Wondewr Woman comes to
rescue him, she sprays her in the face witk knockout gas and chains her
up in super strength chains. The kid is then taken prisoner after
blabbing to the wrong guard about what he saw. A lesson to the NAZIs; it
doesn't matter how strong a chain is if all you do is drape it over
someone! Wonder Woman gets into a decidedly one-sided fight with the
Baroness and the wardon learns to listen to his stupid kid, in case he
isn'ty being stupid that time.

STAR TREK:
"Obsession".

FAMILY GUY:
The Griffins move to the country to escape the urban decay of Quahog,
only to end up making and selling meth.

FAMILY GUY:
After Chris befriends a rich girl, the Griffins are invited to her
exclusive country club, much to the dismay of Lois's father.

GET SMART:
"Viva Smart". Max and Agent 99 try to depose a Latin American dictator.

GET SMART:
"Witness for the Persecution". Max is the sole witness in a trial
against KAOS, forcing him to go into hiding.

TMC UNDERGROUND:
"Mixed Blood". A mid-1980's movie about a Brazilian street gang and a
Latino one battling it out in the streets. It bored me to sleep but I
liked the motherly godfather figure of the one gang.

What did you watch?

--
Q: Why is ObamaCare like a turd?
A: You have to pass it to see what's in it.

Obveeus

Dec 29, 2013, 9:06:31 AM12/29/13

"Ubiquitous" <web...@polaris.net> wrote:

> The day I paid $49.30 for $50 of groceries and a $50 gas card at Publix,

It was day #1800 on the WII for me.

> What did you watch?

I DO: HOW TO GET MARRIED AND STAY SINGLE: a 2006 French comedy film about
a guy with a meddling mother and 4 meddling sisters who won't leave him
alone about finding a woman...largely because they are tired of doing his
laundry and making his meals. The entire plotline was contrived, but this
film did have some funny moments and was overall worth the stream once I got
passed the first 15 minutes or so of awkward setup.

BROKEN ENGLISH: a 2007 movie staring Parker Posey as a messed up New
Yorker. This was a boring film with a character that was quite unlovable.
Greta Gerwig would have been perfect for this role since she loves playing
messed up New Yorkers in lousy films.

Michael Black

Dec 29, 2013, 9:45:55 AM12/29/13
On Sun, 29 Dec 2013, Ubiquitous wrote:

> WONDER WOMAN:
> "Wonder Woman Meets Baroness Von Gunther". When Steve Trevor is
> implicated as being a NAZI spy, Dianna Prince and he set out to
> investigate, leading to them visiting the imprisoned baroness from the
> pilot (at least I think that's what they said, but she looked nothing
> like her), not realizing that she has a key to a secret door that lets
> her slip out of jail at night unnoticed. Geez, is 50% of the population
> in DC NAZI spies? Meanwhile, the wardon's stupid brat stumbles upon the
> plan while playing detective, requiring Wonder Woman to rescue him and
> entrust him with her lasso when Steve comes looking for Dianna. Stupid
> move! I wonder why no one noticed the wall ladder the kid was on had
> fallen off the wall? Anyway, the Baroness just happened to notice what
> happened from her cell window ands tricks the stupid kid into leading
> her NAZI guard to where he hid her lasso and taking it. When Steve gets
> too close to the truth, she kidnaps him, and when Wondewr Woman comes to
> rescue him, she sprays her in the face witk knockout gas and chains her
> up in super strength chains. The kid is then taken prisoner after
> blabbing to the wrong guard about what he saw. A lesson to the NAZIs; it
> doesn't matter how strong a chain is if all you do is drape it over
> someone! Wonder Woman gets into a decidedly one-sided fight with the
> Baroness and the wardon learns to listen to his stupid kid, in case he
> isn'ty being stupid that time.

I didn't see the pilot so I don't know if the Baroness is the same. I did
note that it was "Carly Kirkland" from "Banacek", ie Christine Belford who
played an investigator working directly for the insurance company (so his
competition, and if she retrieved the items, the company didn't have to
pay a percentage).

I think Lynda Carter looked better elsewhere. As "Diana Prince", she's
too hidden, and I never found the WOnder Woman costume that appealing.

Speaking of which, I notice after she twirls she checks her belt and her
tiara to make sure they are in place. I'd expect her to check to make
sure she hasn't fallen out of her top while twirling, and to make sure
those shorts didn't ride up her legs.

Someone must have noticed the ladder after all. The Baroness tells the
guard to signal whoever, and we see him up there that night, so he must
have put the ladder back so he could get up there.

I thought J. Edgar Hoover was warning everyone at the time that there were
nazis under every bed? The show just reflects that.

> STAR TREK:
> "Obsession".

I watched this, really a mundane episode, and I don't remember ever seeing
it before.

> GET SMART:
> "Viva Smart". Max and Agent 99 try to depose a Latin American dictator.
>
> GET SMART:
> "Witness for the Persecution". Max is the sole witness in a trial
> against KAOS, forcing him to go into hiding.

Those weren't the two episodes I watched. There was an episode where Max
had to get a second job (more CONTROL cutbacks) so he becomes a private
eye, and pretends to be Humphry Bogart complete with KAOS agents who
seemed out of "The Maltese Falcon". I forget the second episode.

IN about a month, we should see an episode I look forward to for some
reason. The one where the inventor of the gadgetry turns out to be a
teenage kid, arriving at some meeting on a skateboard. SOmething about
the gadgetry seemed appealing, but I also seem to mix the episode up with
Green Acres for some reason.

Michael

Arthur Lipscomb

Dec 29, 2013, 11:30:38 AM12/29/13
On 12/29/2013 6:45 AM, Michael Black wrote:
> On Sun, 29 Dec 2013, Ubiquitous wrote:
>
>> WONDER WOMAN:
>> "Wonder Woman Meets Baroness Von Gunther". When Steve Trevor is
>> implicated as being a NAZI spy, Dianna Prince and he set out to
>> investigate, leading to them visiting the imprisoned baroness from the
>> pilot (at least I think that's what they said, but she looked nothing
>> like her), not realizing that she has a key to a secret door that lets
>> her slip out of jail at night unnoticed. Geez, is 50% of the population
>> in DC NAZI spies? Meanwhile, the wardon's stupid brat stumbles upon the
>> plan while playing detective, requiring Wonder Woman to rescue him and
>> entrust him with her lasso when Steve comes looking for Dianna. Stupid
>> move! I wonder why no one noticed the wall ladder the kid was on had
>> fallen off the wall? Anyway, the Baroness just happened to notice what
>> happened from her cell window ands tricks the stupid kid into leading
>> her NAZI guard to where he hid her lasso and taking it. When Steve gets
>> too close to the truth, she kidnaps him, and when Wondewr Woman comes to
>> rescue him, she sprays her in the face witk knockout gas and chains her
>> up in super strength chains. The kid is then taken prisoner after
>> blabbing to the wrong guard about what he saw. A lesson to the NAZIs; it
>> doesn't matter how strong a chain is if all you do is drape it over
>> someone! Wonder Woman gets into a decidedly one-sided fight with the
>> Baroness

She finally shows her super strength. Although if I remember correctly,
Wonder Woman getting drugged and knocked out will be an ongoing theme
for the series.

and the wardon learns to listen to his stupid kid, in case he
>> isn'ty being stupid that time.
>>
> I didn't see the pilot so I don't know if the Baroness is the same.

It was a different character named Marcia in the pilot.

> did note that it was "Carly Kirkland" from "Banacek", ie Christine
> Belford who played an investigator working directly for the insurance
> company (so his competition, and if she retrieved the items, the company
> didn't have to pay a percentage).
>
> I think Lynda Carter looked better elsewhere. As "Diana Prince", she's
> too hidden, and I never found the WOnder Woman costume that appealing.
>
> Speaking of which, I notice after she twirls she checks her belt and her
> tiara to make sure they are in place. I'd expect her to check to make
> sure she hasn't fallen out of her top while twirling, and to make sure
> those shorts didn't ride up her legs.
>
> Someone must have noticed the ladder after all. The Baroness tells the
> guard to signal whoever, and we see him up there that night, so he must
> have put the ladder back so he could get up there.
>
> I thought J. Edgar Hoover was warning everyone at the time that there
> were nazis under every bed? The show just reflects that.

The acting is still a bit over the top and too much like Batman. But
the series is definitely still fun to watch.

I'm continuing to clear out the DRV (and catch up on some blu-rays).
When my staycation started the DRV was in the 70s now it�s down to 29%.
Although it helped I decided to delete Atlantis. Although I liked the
pilot, the plot descriptions for upcoming episodes all looked dumb.
Good pilot or not, I decided to dump the series. I watched:

Spooksville (The Hub) � �The No-Ones� � Alien parasites from another
dimension plot to take over Earth. After they take over Adam and seduce
Watch, Sally is forced to turn to the local witch for help. Yet another
good one.

�The Dark Corner� � This was the midseason finale. The local witch
offers to help find Adam's mother by using a spell to bring him his
deepest desire. The spell transports them to an alternate reality
overrun by zombies where the Dark Queen (who the local witch may one day
become in our reality) conquered the Earth and Adam�s mother is a
resistance leader. The series has been really good and the writing and
humor actually reminds me a lot of Buffy.

South Park � �The Hobbit� After Wendy Testaburger compares Kim
Kardashian to a Hobbit, she uses a computer to show how any girl can
alter her picture to look better. Solidly funny episode.

The Simpsons � "YOLO" � Homer fulfills his childhood dreams after
witnessing Kirk Van Houten�s midlife crisis. Not a single laugh in the
episode.

Masters of Sex � "Phallic Victories" Penultimate episode. I�m not sure
if I will bother with season 2. And whatever happened to the dancing
handyman?

Star Trek: TNG (Season 5 blu-ray):
�The Perfect Mate� Famke Janssen guess stars as an empathic alien that
bonds with whatever male she happens to be near. Despite some stupid
moments, OK episode.

�Imaginary Friend� � Yet another space alien comes on board the
Enterprise, this time disguised as a young girl�s imaginary friend. One
of the weaker episodes of the season.

�I Borg� � The ship finds a crashed Borg scout ship and rehabilitate the
lone survivor. They come up with an idiotic scheme to destroy the Borg
by showing them a picture. Otherwise, an OK episode. On the commentary
track they mentioned Jonathan Del Arco, who played Hugh is now the
medical examiner on Major Crimes. I never noticed that before despite
his distinctive name.

�The Next Phase� � Everyone thinks Ro and Geordi are dead after they are
accidentally turned invisible and able to pass through all solid
materials, except for whatever the floor is made out of. OK episode but
they should have at least paid some sort of lip service for why they
didn�t just fall through the floor.

Battleship (blu-ray) Taylor Kitsch has to save the world from aliens
(which may actually be peaceful) in this big budget spectacle based on
the board game. I think I liked this a lot more on this viewing than
when I saw it in the theater. It was just pure mindless fun. I liked
the little nods to the board game like the alien weapons being little
yellow pegs and the humans having to fire into grids. I know some
people complained that they used the USS Missouri in the battle against
the aliens since it�s currently a museum. But you just have to go with
it.

The Hunt for Red October (blu-ray) � With a new Jack Ryan movie on the
way, I figured I�d watch the old ones. Alec Baldwin plays Ryan in this
one and it�s up to him to convince his bosses that Sean Connery�s
Russian sub captain character plans on defecting to the U.S. after the
Russians say he plans to launch his nukes. Holds up extremely well and
continues to be an excellent movie.

RecArtsSfPolicyWonk

Dec 29, 2013, 11:32:02 AM12/29/13
On Sun, 29 Dec 2013 09:45:55 -0500, Michael Black coughed up

> I never found the WOnder Woman costume that appealing.

You what?

RecArtsSfPolicyWonk

Dec 29, 2013, 12:21:56 PM12/29/13
On Sun, 29 Dec 2013 08:30:38 -0800, Arthur Lipscomb coughed up

> Star Trek: TNG (Season 5 blu-ray):
> 嚙踝蕭The Perfect Mate嚙踝蕭 Famke Janssen

Hubba hubba!

> guess stars as an empathic alien that bonds with whatever male she happens
> to be near. Despite some stupid moments, OK episode.
>
> 嚙踝蕭Imaginary Friend嚙踝蕭 嚙碾 Yet another space alien comes on board the
> Enterprise, this time disguised as a young girl嚙踝蕭s imaginary friend. One
> of the weaker episodes of the season.
>
> 嚙踝蕭I Borg嚙踝蕭 嚙碾 The ship finds a crashed Borg scout ship and rehabilitate the
> lone survivor. They come up with an idiotic scheme to destroy the Borg
> by showing them a picture.

The technical term is "Langford basilisk". I expect the real deal would
induce nothing more permanent than an inconveniently-timed reboot, if it
can even exist.

> Otherwise, an OK episode. On the commentary track they mentioned
> Jonathan Del Arco, who played Hugh is now the medical examiner on Major
> Crimes. I never noticed that before despite his distinctive name.
>
> 嚙踝蕭The Next Phase嚙踝蕭 嚙碾 Everyone thinks Ro and Geordi are dead after they are
> accidentally turned invisible and able to pass through all solid
> materials, except for whatever the floor is made out of.

Gravity plating.

> OK episode but they should have at least paid some sort of lip service
> for why they didn嚙踝蕭t just fall through the floor.

Stargate SG-1 had some similar cases, with even less justification (as
ordinary concrete floors in the SGC stayed solid to them). They should have
fallen into the earth and started looping in a very elliptical orbit in its
interior, popping up from time to time in Singapore and New Delhi and such.

There are even bigger problems with this, like how they could breathe the
air or stay cool/warm.

> The Hunt for Red October (blu-ray) 嚙碾 With a new Jack Ryan movie on the
> way,

Cite?

Ian J. Ball

Dec 29, 2013, 12:27:04 PM12/29/13
In article <l9pine$kij$1...@dont-email.me>,
Arthur Lipscomb <art...@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

> The Hunt for Red October (blu-ray) � With a new Jack Ryan movie on the
> way, I figured I�d watch the old ones. Alec Baldwin plays Ryan in this
> one and it�s up to him to convince his bosses that Sean Connery�s
> Russian sub captain character plans on defecting to the U.S. after the
> Russians say he plans to launch his nukes. Holds up extremely well and
> continues to be an excellent movie.

My recollection is that this is the *only* decent Jack Ryan flick.

With Chris Pine taking over the role, that will almost certainly
continue being the case...

--
"Surf-crazed aliens... Of course." - Amber, "Alien Surf Girls",
Episode #1.1, "Wipeout".

RecArtsSfPolicyWonk

Dec 29, 2013, 12:44:02 PM12/29/13
On Sun, 29 Dec 2013 09:27:04 -0800, Ian J. Ball coughed up

> In article <l9pine$kij$1...@dont-email.me>,
> Arthur Lipscomb <art...@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
>
>> The Hunt for Red October (blu-ray) � With a new Jack Ryan movie on the
>> way, I figured I�d watch the old ones. Alec Baldwin plays Ryan in this
>> one and it�s up to him to convince his bosses that Sean Connery�s
>> Russian sub captain character plans on defecting to the U.S. after the
>> Russians say he plans to launch his nukes. Holds up extremely well and
>> continues to be an excellent movie.
>
> My recollection is that this is the *only* decent Jack Ryan flick.

Wrong. There's also The Sum of All Fears.

Ian J. Ball

Dec 29, 2013, 12:54:00 PM12/29/13
In article <l9p96o$16l$1...@dont-email.me>,
Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net> wrote:

> What did you watch?

Not as much as on Friday:

Hidden Away (Lifetime) - I'd actually seen, like, the last 5 minutes of
this one before, so this time I sat down and watched it from the
beginning.
This was the prototypical Lifetime flick for this newsgroup's
readership - Ivan Sergei plays the psycho former husband of Emmanuelle
Vaugier, who figures out that she's faked her and her daughter's ("The
Lying Game's" Allie Gonino) deaths, and tracks them down in their new
lives in Palm Springs. Pyscho wackiness (poor Elisabeth Rohm!!) ensues.
What I liked about this one was the cool on-location shooting - lots
of this was actually filmed at Palm Spring's Aerial Tramway (and at the
top of the mountain of said Tramway), which I've actually been to, so I
recognized it as such.

The Wrong Woman (Lifetime) - Danica McKellar stars as an innocent
housewife and Mom who's hauled in by the cops (hey! look!! - it's
"Hunter's" Fred Dryer as one of the detectives!!! and the other
detective is Jaleel White!) for the attempted murder of a hooker
(McKellar was coincidentally in the same parking garage where the hooker
was attacked), and is immediately charged for it when she tells a couple
of little white lies to the detectives.
The beginning of this movie was actually slightly genius - tell the
story entirely from McKellar's point of view as she's hauled in by the
cops, and then thrown in jail, where she's totally cut off from the
outside world, and has no idea what's going on. (I don't think I've seen
another Lifetime flick do this before...)
After that, the story let me down a little bit - I was kind of hoping
there was a big conspiracy involving the lawyer and the husband to
frame-up McKellar's character, but this went in a different direction
(which I thought was a little disappointing...).
But, overall, I thought this flick was one of Lifetime's better
(recent) efforts - good work from McKellar...

Obveeus

Dec 29, 2013, 1:25:16 PM12/29/13

"Arthur Lipscomb" <art...@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
> The Hunt for Red October (blu-ray) � With a new Jack Ryan movie on the
> way, I figured I�d watch the old ones. Alec Baldwin plays Ryan in this
> one and it�s up to him to convince his bosses that Sean Connery�s Russian
> sub captain character plans on defecting to the U.S. after the Russians
> say he plans to launch his nukes. Holds up extremely well and continues
> to be an excellent movie.

Agreed.

BTR1701

Dec 29, 2013, 1:40:42 PM12/29/13
In article <l9pine$kij$1...@dont-email.me>,
Arthur Lipscomb <art...@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

> Battleship (blu-ray) Taylor Kitsch has to save the world from aliens
> (which may actually be peaceful)

I thought it was established when Kitsch mind-melded (or whatever) with
one of the aliens that they were a hostile invasive species that raped
worlds for whatever they could find, then move on.

> I think I liked this a lot more on this viewing than
> when I saw it in the theater. It was just pure mindless fun. I liked
> the little nods to the board game like the alien weapons being little
> yellow pegs and the humans having to fire into grids. I know some
> people complained that they used the USS Missouri in the battle against
> the aliens since it�s currently a museum. But you just have to go with
> it.

I couldn't get past the alien ships that couldn't really fly, and
couldn't really swim. They just kind of leapt from place to place like
gigantic frogs. Why would anyone design a ship like that?

Arthur Lipscomb

Dec 29, 2013, 3:12:07 PM12/29/13
I was one of the few that actually liked Sum of All Fears. As I recall,
I liked all of them. Although I'm not sure how much I liked the
Harrison Ford ones when they first came out. Opinions change over time.
Some movies get better some get worse. I have no idea what I'm going to
think of them now.

I'm going to try to watch the other three today.

The upcoming one is Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Ryan:_Shadow_Recruit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8EaxDvZt4w

I'm not particularly impressed by the trailer but that won't stop me
from seeing it.

Arthur Lipscomb

Dec 29, 2013, 3:18:18 PM12/29/13
On 12/29/2013 10:40 AM, BTR1701 wrote:
> In article <l9pine$kij$1...@dont-email.me>,
> Arthur Lipscomb <art...@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
>
>> Battleship (blu-ray) Taylor Kitsch has to save the world from aliens
>> (which may actually be peaceful)
>
> I thought it was established when Kitsch mind-melded (or whatever) with
> one of the aliens that they were a hostile invasive species that raped
> worlds for whatever they could find, then move on.

Possible. There are any number of human soldiers who would have similar
if not worse images in their minds if probed. There were actions which
were definitely aggressive yet in every encounter with the military, the
humans were always the ones who shot first. The aliens also made it a
point to stop targeting the humans when the humans stopped targeting
them. I think it was intentionally very ambiguous what their ultimate
goal was, other than phoning home. We just don't know if they were
calling for rescue or reinforcements or both.

>> I think I liked this a lot more on this viewing than
>> when I saw it in the theater. It was just pure mindless fun. I liked
>> the little nods to the board game like the alien weapons being little
>> yellow pegs and the humans having to fire into grids. I know some
>> people complained that they used the USS Missouri in the battle against
>> the aliens since it�s currently a museum. But you just have to go with
>> it.
>
> I couldn't get past the alien ships that couldn't really fly, and
> couldn't really swim. They just kind of leapt from place to place like
> gigantic frogs. Why would anyone design a ship like that?

They're alien is a sufficient explanation for me. It's not as if the
design wasn't functional.

erilar

Dec 29, 2013, 4:39:39 PM12/29/13
But Saturday was the 28th! I watched Death in Paradise. Good show.

--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist

BTR1701

Dec 29, 2013, 5:44:25 PM12/29/13
In article <l9q02a$5jc$1...@dont-email.me>,
Arthur Lipscomb <art...@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

> On 12/29/2013 10:40 AM, BTR1701 wrote:
> > In article <l9pine$kij$1...@dont-email.me>,
> > Arthur Lipscomb <art...@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
> >
> >> Battleship (blu-ray) Taylor Kitsch has to save the world from aliens
> >> (which may actually be peaceful)
> >
> > I thought it was established when Kitsch mind-melded (or whatever) with
> > one of the aliens that they were a hostile invasive species that raped
> > worlds for whatever they could find, then move on.

> Possible. There are any number of human soldiers who would have similar
> if not worse images in their minds if probed.

I thought the images were just a shorthand representation of it for the
audience, and that we were to assume that Kitch joined with the alien's
mind at a fundamental level such that he knew the truth about them. He
didn't just see a bunch of out-of-context images.

> There were actions which were definitely aggressive yet in every
> encounter with the military, the humans were always the ones who
> shot first.

They also entrapped nearly a million people in an inescapable bubble and
forcefully took over the land-based sat system.

It's been a while since I saw it, but I also don't remember the people
of Honolulu doing anything to the aliens to justify them sending that
buzzsaw-ball to take out the freeways and city infrastructure.

But in general, the idea that they aren't bad guys so long as we let
them do whatever the hell they want, to include sealing off entire parts
of our planet from us along with the people inside, is nonsense.

> >> I think I liked this a lot more on this viewing than
> >> when I saw it in the theater. It was just pure mindless fun. I liked
> >> the little nods to the board game like the alien weapons being little
> >> yellow pegs and the humans having to fire into grids. I know some
> >> people complained that they used the USS Missouri in the battle against
> >> the aliens since it�s currently a museum. But you just have to go with
> >> it.
> >
> > I couldn't get past the alien ships that couldn't really fly, and
> > couldn't really swim. They just kind of leapt from place to place like
> > gigantic frogs. Why would anyone design a ship like that?
> >

> They're alien is a sufficient explanation for me. It's not as if the
> design wasn't functional.

And why is that this alien species can create an impenetrable force dome
the size of Texas to close off Hawaii, but their actual ships have no
energy-field protection whatsoever and are vulnerable to our low-tech
projectile weapons?

And I know you dismissed the whole Missouri bit as something you 'just
have to go with' but there's a limit to how absurd a movie can be before
I really can't do that anymore.

It was such a bizarre plot development on so many levels. The ship has
been stripped of all its engines and the barrels are all that's left of
those big guns. All the breaches and internal firing mechanisms are long
gone. But even if we were to assume that all that equipment was still
inexplicably in place and functional, why would a museum ship be fully
fueled? And where did all the ammo for the guns come from? Are we
supposed to assume the Navy was storing live ammo for the 16-inch guns
on board just for the hell of it? And even if we assume all of that, the
final cherry on that ridiculous sundae was how all those octogenarian
geezers were apparently just hanging out on the masts and yardarms of
the ship in dramatic poses for... what? Hawaii is under attack by space
aliens, so all the 80-year-old WWII vets decide to go down to Pearl
Harbor and pose dramatically on their old ship?

It was just too, too, too much for this viewer to 'just go with it'. The
movie wouldn't have been any more ridiculous at that point if Kitch had
suddenly and inexplicably become Superman and started flying around
killing the aliens with his laser-beam eyes or something.

anim8rFSK

Dec 29, 2013, 6:19:18 PM12/29/13
In article
"Ian J. Ball" <ijball-...@mac.invalid> wrote:

> In article <l9pine$kij$1...@dont-email.me>,
> Arthur Lipscomb <art...@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
>
> > The Hunt for Red October (blu-ray) � With a new Jack Ryan movie on the
> > way, I figured I�d watch the old ones. Alec Baldwin plays Ryan in this
> > one and it�s up to him to convince his bosses that Sean Connery�s
> > Russian sub captain character plans on defecting to the U.S. after the
> > Russians say he plans to launch his nukes. Holds up extremely well and
> > continues to be an excellent movie.
>
> My recollection is that this is the *only* decent Jack Ryan flick.

Despite, not because of, Baldwin.

--
Wait - are you saying that ClodReamer was wrong, or lying?

Arthur Lipscomb

Dec 29, 2013, 6:48:29 PM12/29/13
That's not exactly how it happened. The buzzsaw weapon attacked a
military base. Yes, it also attacked a freeway but we saw it
intentionally *not* hurt civilians. I'm not saying no one was killed.
But there's a difference between collateral damage and intentionally
targeting civilians. We saw that the aliens went out of their way to
not hurt unarmed people. Even when they boarded the military ship, they
weren't attacking the soldiers, they were trying to disable the vessel
and then only engaged in hand to hand combat when the humans hit first.

> But in general, the idea that they aren't bad guys so long as we let
> them do whatever the hell they want, to include sealing off entire parts
> of our planet from us along with the people inside, is nonsense.

I think you have a perfectly valid reaction. But try seeing it from
*their* perspective. They have a right to defend themselves don't they?
Imagine humans crashing on a planet of bees. If we could, we'd put up
a protective screen to keep from getting stung without worrying about
how that field inconveniences the bees. And if we had to kill a couple
dozen bees to ensure no human life was lost, we wouldn't hesitate even
if the goal was to minimize the loss of the alien bees.

These aliens aren't obligated to put our safety and convenience ahead of
their own. As long as we don't attack, fine. But sting them and they
will swat us down, hard. We did shoot first after all. Allowing
themselves to be captured or killed by primitives would be equally
nonsensical to them. If they need to scare the locals into submission
so they can call home and leave, why not. The alternative could be an
all out war which would force them to slaughter millions they might not
want to slaughter.

Keep in mind that force field was keeping out an armada of war ships.
The second that shield came down, humans launched an all out assault
which resulted in the alien's being wiped out.

>>> I couldn't get past the alien ships that couldn't really fly, and
>>> couldn't really swim. They just kind of leapt from place to place like
>>> gigantic frogs. Why would anyone design a ship like that?
>>>

>> They're alien is a sufficient explanation for me. It's not as if the
>> design wasn't functional.
>
> And why is that this alien species can create an impenetrable force dome
> the size of Texas to close off Hawaii, but their actual ships have no
> energy-field protection whatsoever and are vulnerable to our low-tech
> projectile weapons?

Because that's not how the technology works. You might as well complain
about not being able to put metal in a microwave.

> And I know you dismissed the whole Missouri bit as something you 'just
> have to go with' but there's a limit to how absurd a movie can be before
> I really can't do that anymore.

Yeah, I get that. I was actually thinking this movie would fit in the
Fast and Furious universe because the physics there are equally absurd.

If you have a problem with this, you should make sure to never watch
Space Battleship Yamato. They turned that one into a operational
spaceship. Trying to process that one would probably cause your head to
explode.

> It was such a bizarre plot development on so many levels. The ship has
> been stripped of all its engines and the barrels are all that's left of
> those big guns. All the breaches and internal firing mechanisms are long
> gone. But even if we were to assume that all that equipment was still
> inexplicably in place and functional, why would a museum ship be fully
> fueled? And where did all the ammo for the guns come from? Are we
> supposed to assume the Navy was storing live ammo for the 16-inch guns
> on board just for the hell of it? And even if we assume all of that, the
> final cherry on that ridiculous sundae was how all those octogenarian
> geezers were apparently just hanging out on the masts and yardarms of
> the ship in dramatic poses for... what? Hawaii is under attack by space
> aliens, so all the 80-year-old WWII vets decide to go down to Pearl
> Harbor and pose dramatically on their old ship?
>
> It was just too, too, too much for this viewer to 'just go with it'. The
> movie wouldn't have been any more ridiculous at that point if Kitch had
> suddenly and inexplicably become Superman and started flying around
> killing the aliens with his laser-beam eyes or something.

I take movies on a case by case basis. I can easily see myself hating
another movie for doing that exact same thing that I was so willing to
excuse in this one. In fact, I think the reason I liked it more this
time around was precisely because I was forgiving all of the nonsense on
the fly whereas last time I watched it bugged me more.

This is also how I went from liking The Dark Knight Rises to being
extremely annoyed by it. Suddenly all the stupidity that I let slide on
first viewing bugged me to no end on a second viewing.

David Barnett

Dec 29, 2013, 6:53:48 PM12/29/13
On Saturday, December 28, I watched:

Savages (2012)
Not a rave review from imdb, and not "my cup of tea".
Salma Hayek was the lure, but no sexy dance in this movie.
There were a couple of simulated sex scenes featuring only
male buttocks with the other female star Blake Lively.

CRICKET: ASHES: T4D3

--
David Barnett

BTR1701

Dec 29, 2013, 10:53:06 PM12/29/13
In article <l9qccb$hb7$1...@dont-email.me>,
Not really. They came *here*. They took hostile action against us on our
own planet. They can't then say it's self-defense when we react to that.

It'd be like a burglar breaking into your home, threatening you and your
family, then claiming he has a right to self-defense against you when
you start to kick his ass for it.

> Imagine humans crashing on a planet of bees. If we could, we'd put up
> a protective screen to keep from getting stung without worrying about
> how that field inconveniences the bees. And if we had to kill a couple
> dozen bees to ensure no human life was lost, we wouldn't hesitate even
> if the goal was to minimize the loss of the alien bees.

They didn't crash. The landing was purposeful. They made that point at
the beginning also. The Pentagon guys thought it might be a comet at
first and then they saw it was adjusting course and slowing down. And
other than the commo ship that hit the satellite, there was nothing
wrong with any of their ships. Combine that with what Kitch 'saw' during
the meld and it's clear to me the writers intended the audience to see
the aliens as a hostile invading force, sent to establish a beachhead
for a much larger follow-on fleet.

And they didn't seem to be all *that* much more advanced than humans.
Only two pieces of tech really stood out as much more advanced: the tech
to travel from other star systems and the whole energy-dome thingy.
Other than that, they were curiously not that much more superior to
humans. Certainly not to the point where we would be ants or bees
compared to them.

A more apt comparison would be the aliens as Americans/Europeans and
humans as Amazonian natives or Australian aborigines. And yes, if a
group of Americans crashed on the shores of the Amazon and marched into
the nearest village, took it over, imprisoned the natives, but only
killed the natives that fought back, they'd still be the bad guys.

> These aliens aren't obligated to put our safety and convenience ahead of
> their own. As long as we don't attack, fine. But sting them and they
> will swat us down, hard. We did shoot first after all.

Again, put the aliens in place of technologically sophisticated humans
and humans as a primitive native tribe and what you describe makes the
1st-world humans villains, even if the natives shoot first.

> > And I know you dismissed the whole Missouri bit as something you 'just
> > have to go with' but there's a limit to how absurd a movie can be before
> > I really can't do that anymore.

> Yeah, I get that. I was actually thinking this movie would fit in the
> Fast and Furious universe because the physics there are equally absurd.
>
> If you have a problem with this, you should make sure to never watch
> Space Battleship Yamato. They turned that one into a operational
> spaceship. Trying to process that one would probably cause your head to
> explode.

Good thing I've never heard of that. Although I suppose if you have the
tech to actually accomplish interstellar travel, reinforcing the
superstructure of a battleship and sealing off all the hatches and
whatnot to make it space-worthy isn't *that* much of a leap. Raising it
into orbit would be a trick, I suppose, but the main question would be
why you would even want to use a battleship like that in the first place.

> > It was such a bizarre plot development on so many levels. The ship has
> > been stripped of all its engines and the barrels are all that's left of
> > those big guns. All the breaches and internal firing mechanisms are long
> > gone. But even if we were to assume that all that equipment was still
> > inexplicably in place and functional, why would a museum ship be fully
> > fueled? And where did all the ammo for the guns come from? Are we
> > supposed to assume the Navy was storing live ammo for the 16-inch guns
> > on board just for the hell of it? And even if we assume all of that, the
> > final cherry on that ridiculous sundae was how all those octogenarian
> > geezers were apparently just hanging out on the masts and yardarms of
> > the ship in dramatic poses for... what? Hawaii is under attack by space
> > aliens, so all the 80-year-old WWII vets decide to go down to Pearl
> > Harbor and pose dramatically on their old ship?
> >
> > It was just too, too, too much for this viewer to 'just go with it'. The
> > movie wouldn't have been any more ridiculous at that point if Kitch had
> > suddenly and inexplicably become Superman and started flying around
> > killing the aliens with his laser-beam eyes or something.

> I take movies on a case by case basis. I can easily see myself hating
> another movie for doing that exact same thing that I was so willing to
> excuse in this one.

I make the same allowances for THE WALKING DEAD. It's often rife with
plot holes and inexplicable nonsense (although nothing on the level of
the 3rd act of BATTLESHIP), and I enjoy coming here and doing the
day-after snark, but it doesn't detract from my enjoyment of the show.

Arthur Lipscomb

Dec 30, 2013, 12:28:00 AM12/30/13
We *invited* them here then shot first. The movie starts with Earth
locating their planet then sending them a signal.

>> Imagine humans crashing on a planet of bees. If we could, we'd put up
>> a protective screen to keep from getting stung without worrying about
>> how that field inconveniences the bees. And if we had to kill a couple
>> dozen bees to ensure no human life was lost, we wouldn't hesitate even
>> if the goal was to minimize the loss of the alien bees.
>
> They didn't crash. The landing was purposeful.

"That thing is breaking apart" is what they say after one of their
communication ship hits the satellite. The communication ship crashed.
But yes, The other four landed intentionally near near the
communication center in Hawaii. Where they were then shot at by the
U.S. military.

They made that point at
> the beginning also. The Pentagon guys thought it might be a comet at
> first and then they saw it was adjusting course and slowing down. And
> other than the commo ship that hit the satellite, there was nothing
> wrong with any of their ships. Combine that with what Kitch 'saw' during
> the meld and it's clear to me the writers intended the audience to see
> the aliens as a hostile invading force, sent to establish a beachhead
> for a much larger follow-on fleet.

Then they included multiple scenes of the aliens backing down when
encountering unarmed humans or the humans pointing their weapons away
from them. They kept going out of their way not to kill.

> And they didn't seem to be all *that* much more advanced than humans.
> Only two pieces of tech really stood out as much more advanced: the tech
> to travel from other star systems and the whole energy-dome thingy.

Faster than light travel and forcefields are kind of big deals...

> Other than that, they were curiously not that much more superior to
> humans. Certainly not to the point where we would be ants or bees
> compared to them.

Some humans don't even consider *other* humans to be equals. Why would
aliens put us on an equal footing? It's not a question of do we think
ourselves equal, it's do *they* think us equal. Does it make them evil
if they value their lives more than ours? Humans certainly don't
consider ourselves evil or bad for valuing human life above every thing
else on the planet.

> A more apt comparison would be the aliens as Americans/Europeans and
> humans as Amazonian natives or Australian aborigines. And yes, if a
> group of Americans crashed on the shores of the Amazon and marched into
> the nearest village, took it over, imprisoned the natives, but only
> killed the natives that fought back, they'd still be the bad guys.

What if the natives *invited* them over then started shooting once they
arrived?

>> These aliens aren't obligated to put our safety and convenience ahead of
>> their own. As long as we don't attack, fine. But sting them and they
>> will swat us down, hard. We did shoot first after all.
>
> Again, put the aliens in place of technologically sophisticated humans
> and humans as a primitive native tribe and what you describe makes the
> 1st-world humans villains, even if the natives shoot first.
>
>>> And I know you dismissed the whole Missouri bit as something you 'just
>>> have to go with' but there's a limit to how absurd a movie can be before
>>> I really can't do that anymore.
>
>> Yeah, I get that. I was actually thinking this movie would fit in the
>> Fast and Furious universe because the physics there are equally absurd.
>>
>> If you have a problem with this, you should make sure to never watch
>> Space Battleship Yamato. They turned that one into a operational
>> spaceship. Trying to process that one would probably cause your head to
>> explode.
>
> Good thing I've never heard of that.

It was a popular Japanese animated show in the 70s. In the U.S. it was
called Star Blazers. I don't think I've ever watched an episode either.
They just did a live action movie but it hasn't been released in the
states yet.

It looks like it will be at least as much fun as Battleship...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZY310o_AvA

Ubiquitous

Dec 30, 2013, 10:17:42 AM12/30/13
In article <l9pa99$6vm$1...@dont-email.me>, Obv...@aol.com wrote:
>"Ubiquitous" <web...@polaris.net> wrote:

>> The day I paid $49.30 for $50 of groceries and a $50 gas card at Publix,
>
>It was day #1800 on the WII for me.

On what?

Obveeus

Dec 30, 2013, 11:00:36 AM12/30/13

"Ubiquitous" <web...@polaris.net> wrote in message
> In article <l9pa99$6vm$1...@dont-email.me>, Obv...@aol.com wrote:
>>"Ubiquitous" <web...@polaris.net> wrote:
>
>>> The day I paid $49.30 for $50 of groceries and a $50 gas card at Publix,
>>
>>It was day #1800 on the WII for me.
>
> On what?

Sorry. A typo of sorts. It should have been 'Wii'.

Ubiquitous

Dec 30, 2013, 5:59:01 AM12/30/13
I wondered about the Baroness b/c they mentioned imprisoning her last week,
but she didn't look like the same woman.

>I think Lynda Carter looked better elsewhere. As "Diana Prince", she's
>too hidden, and I never found the WOnder Woman costume that appealing.
>
>Speaking of which, I notice after she twirls she checks her belt and her
>tiara to make sure they are in place. I'd expect her to check to make
>sure she hasn't fallen out of her top while twirling, and to make sure
>those shorts didn't ride up her legs.

Heh.

>Someone must have noticed the ladder after all. The Baroness tells the
>guard to signal whoever, and we see him up there that night, so he must
>have put the ladder back so he could get up there.

It was a ladder attached to the wall that broke free and fell over.

>I thought J. Edgar Hoover was warning everyone at the time that there
>were nazis under every bed? The show just reflects that.

Was it Nazis? I thought that was said about Commies.

>> STAR TREK:
>> "Obsession".
>
>I watched this, really a mundane episode, and I don't remember ever
>seeing it before.

It was a good rip-off of that book about the guy obsessed with a white whale.

Michael Black

Dec 30, 2013, 1:21:09 PM12/30/13
Which makes things even weirder. I thought the guard went up the ladder
to do the signalling, though perhaps it was only the kid who needed the
ladder. But the guard was up there after the ladder fell off, so somehow
it was back in place.

That prison had to be in bad shape. Nobody noticing a secret
door/passageway, leaving crates around where anyone could steal them, a
ladder that was ready to fall off the wall?

>> I thought J. Edgar Hoover was warning everyone at the time that there
>> were nazis under every bed? The show just reflects that.
>
> Was it Nazis? I thought that was said about Commies.

Yes, it was about "commies under every bed". But since the show has so
many nazi agents, the line would seem to apply.

Michael

Ubiquitous

Dec 31, 2013, 3:09:00 PM12/31/13
Not to mention elaborate secret passenges that were operated with special
Austrian castle keys.

anim8rFSK

Dec 31, 2013, 11:05:18 PM12/31/13
In article <l9v88q$2i2$1...@dont-email.me>,
I missed the beginning, but this was *so* stupid I ran it back to see
who wrote it ... and, there it was, the dreaded "Margaret Armen" who
wrote 3 of the most nonsensical episodes of TREK. I have no idea why
anybody hired her a second time. That said, they sure made the most of
WW & the Baroness rolling down that hill!

Ubiquitous

Jan 1, 2014, 9:28:50 AM1/1/14
anim...@cox.net wrote:
> Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net> wrote:
>> et...@ncf.ca wrote:

They sure did! :-)

Michael Black

Jan 1, 2014, 4:30:26 PM1/1/14
On Tue, 31 Dec 2013, anim8rFSK wrote:

> I missed the beginning, but this was *so* stupid I ran it back to see
> who wrote it ... and, there it was, the dreaded "Margaret Armen" who
> wrote 3 of the most nonsensical episodes of TREK. I have no idea why
> anybody hired her a second time. That said, they sure made the most of
> WW & the Baroness rolling down that hill!

Yes, a "chick fight". It made me wonder if that sort of thing would
continue with the show, or if she'll get mostly male villains.

I was reading something about Batgirl, and apparently they had rules on
how she could interact with the villains, something like throwing things
was okay, but no direct contact (I forget the exact details). Yvonne
Craig sounded like she didn't like the double standard.

Michael

Ubiquitous

Jan 2, 2014, 5:49:52 AM1/2/14
et...@ncf.ca wrote:
>On Tue, 31 Dec 2013, anim8rFSK wrote:

>> I missed the beginning, but this was *so* stupid I ran it back to see
>> who wrote it ... and, there it was, the dreaded "Margaret Armen" who
>> wrote 3 of the most nonsensical episodes of TREK. I have no idea why
>> anybody hired her a second time. That said, they sure made the most
>> of WW & the Baroness rolling down that hill!
>
>Yes, a "chick fight". It made me wonder if that sort of thing would
>continue with the show, or if she'll get mostly male villains.

In the season three DVD set I've been watching, she's had male
antagonists but now I don't recall if she actually entered melee
with them or just subdued them with her lasso.

Michael Black

Jan 2, 2014, 10:07:29 AM1/2/14
On Thu, 2 Jan 2014, Ubiquitous wrote:

> et...@ncf.ca wrote:
>> On Tue, 31 Dec 2013, anim8rFSK wrote:
>
>>> I missed the beginning, but this was *so* stupid I ran it back to see
>>> who wrote it ... and, there it was, the dreaded "Margaret Armen" who
>>> wrote 3 of the most nonsensical episodes of TREK. I have no idea why
>>> anybody hired her a second time. That said, they sure made the most
>>> of WW & the Baroness rolling down that hill!
>>
>> Yes, a "chick fight". It made me wonder if that sort of thing would
>> continue with the show, or if she'll get mostly male villains.
>
> In the season three DVD set I've been watching, she's had male
> antagonists but now I don't recall if she actually entered melee
> with them or just subdued them with her lasso.

The first episode (not the pilot) had Steve taken hostage as a lure to get
Wonder Woman. In checking upcoming episodes, this happens again really
soon, if not in the next episode. I guess that could become routine.

Michael

Obveeus

Jan 2, 2014, 12:00:41 PM1/2/14

"Michael Black" <et...@ncf.ca> wrote:

> On Thu, 2 Jan 2014, Ubiquitous wrote:

WONDER WOMAN
>> In the season three DVD set I've been watching, she's had male
>> antagonists but now I don't recall if she actually entered melee
>> with them or just subdued them with her lasso.
>>
> The first episode (not the pilot) had Steve taken hostage as a lure to get
> Wonder Woman. In checking upcoming episodes, this happens again really
> soon, if not in the next episode. I guess that could become routine.

Were there any episodes of WONDER WOMAN where Steve and/or WW *didn't* get
subdued and held hostage at some point?

Michael Black

Jan 2, 2014, 12:46:15 PM1/2/14
I don't remember. Ask in a few months when I've seen more episodes.

Michael

anim8rFSK

Jan 2, 2014, 2:00:12 PM1/2/14
In article <alpine.LNX.2.02.1...@darkstar.example.org>,
Michael Black <et...@ncf.ca> wrote:

> On Tue, 31 Dec 2013, anim8rFSK wrote:
>

> > I missed the beginning, but this was *so* stupid I ran it back to see
> > who wrote it ... and, there it was, the dreaded "Margaret Armen" who
> > wrote 3 of the most nonsensical episodes of TREK. I have no idea why
> > anybody hired her a second time. That said, they sure made the most of
> > WW & the Baroness rolling down that hill!
> >
> Yes, a "chick fight". It made me wonder if that sort of thing would
> continue with the show, or if she'll get mostly male villains.

I mostly want to know why the Baroness would last 5 seconds with
somebody that can bend steel bars in her bare hands. And when she
rescued that idiot kid from the ladder, she was clearly flying.

> I was reading something about Batgirl, and apparently they had rules on
> how she could interact with the villains, something like throwing things
> was okay, but no direct contact (I forget the exact details). Yvonne
> Craig sounded like she didn't like the double standard.
>
> Michael

Well, that's silly, as she routinely stood on something and kicked them
in the face as they attacked. Whoever wrote that never watched the
show. :)

knoxy 2.02

Jan 2, 2014, 3:29:45 PM1/2/14
On Thu, 2 Jan 2014 10:07:29 -0500, Michael Black wasted rec.arts.tv's time
with:
But of course. Steve's the gender-bent analogue of Lois Lane, so being
captured and needing rescuing is basically his job.

--
, , _ _ _
/|_/ _ / ) / \ / )
| \_/ | |_/\_/ /\/ \/|/ /__o\_/ /__
(|

David Johnston

Jan 2, 2014, 4:09:18 PM1/2/14
Yes, the rule was she could never punch anyone.

Ubiquitous

Jan 2, 2014, 7:34:45 PM1/2/14
I no longer recall.

Michael Black

Jan 2, 2014, 7:38:16 PM1/2/14
I did say I couldn't remember the exact words.

So it's okay to kick people, likely in the face, with boots on, but not
good for a woman to punch some villain?

Michael

Ubiquitous

Jan 2, 2014, 7:38:15 PM1/2/14
anim...@cox.net wrote:
> Michael Black <et...@ncf.ca> wrote:
>> On Tue, 31 Dec 2013, anim8rFSK wrote:

>>> I missed the beginning, but this was *so* stupid I ran it back to see
>>> who wrote it ... and, there it was, the dreaded "Margaret Armen" who
>>> wrote 3 of the most nonsensical episodes of TREK. I have no idea why
>>> anybody hired her a second time. That said, they sure made the most of
>>> WW & the Baroness rolling down that hill!
>>
>> Yes, a "chick fight". It made me wonder if that sort of thing would
>> continue with the show, or if she'll get mostly male villains.
>
>I mostly want to know why the Baroness would last 5 seconds with
>somebody that can bend steel bars in her bare hands.

I'll let you know if she tries to bend someone in half.

>And when she rescued that idiot kid from the ladder, she was clearly flying.

I thought it was just clumsy work with the support wires.

That reminds me; in the DVD set I was watching, they liked to cheat on these
stunts by running the footage in reverse, leading to some amusing footage. I
am hoping this started in the CBS years.

David Johnston

Jan 2, 2014, 9:21:42 PM1/2/14
Kicking is much girlier (particularly the way she did it) and that was
the important thing.

anim8rFSK

Jan 4, 2014, 11:35:11 AM1/4/14
In article <la50pl$dkv$2...@dont-email.me>,
Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net> wrote:

> anim...@cox.net wrote:
> > Michael Black <et...@ncf.ca> wrote:

> >> Yes, a "chick fight". It made me wonder if that sort of thing would
> >> continue with the show, or if she'll get mostly male villains.
> >
> >I mostly want to know why the Baroness would last 5 seconds with
> >somebody that can bend steel bars in her bare hands.
>
> I'll let you know if she tries to bend someone in half.
>
> >And when she rescued that idiot kid from the ladder, she was clearly flying.
>
> I thought it was just clumsy work with the support wires.

Likely it was, but the net effect was that she can fly, or at least
levitate

> That reminds me; in the DVD set I was watching, they liked to cheat on these
> stunts by running the footage in reverse, leading to some amusing footage. I
> am hoping this started in the CBS years.

They used to do that on the original Moronic Woman.

Ubiquitous

Jan 4, 2014, 1:57:22 PM1/4/14
anim...@cox.net wrote:
> Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net> wrote:
>> anim...@cox.net wrote:

>> >I mostly want to know why the Baroness would last 5 seconds with
>> >somebody that can bend steel bars in her bare hands.
>>
>> I'll let you know if she tries to bend someone in half.
>>
>> >And when she rescued that idiot kid from the ladder, she was clearly flying.
>>
>> I thought it was just clumsy work with the support wires.
>
>Likely it was, but the net effect was that she can fly, or at least
>levitate

Fly; she changed direction in mid-jump.

>> That reminds me; in the DVD set I was watching, they liked to cheat on these
>> stunts by running the footage in reverse, leading to some amusing footage. I
>> am hoping this started in the CBS years.
>
>They used to do that on the original Moronic Woman.

They must have done a better job b/c I do not recall noticing.
OTOH, I had forgotten about it on this show...