Sam Lane (Lois Lane's father)

Frank Swarbrick

Oct 1, 2004, 10:06:02 PM10/1/04
On Lois & Clark Lois' father is Dr. Sam Lane and her mother (Ellen Lane)
is alive.

On Smallville Lois' father is General Sam Lane and Lois' mother died
when she was six.

How do either of these match up with Superman comics?

--
Frank Swarbrick
inf...@sprynet.com

TedJ...@mindspring.com

Oct 1, 2004, 11:32:02 PM10/1/04

From: "Frank Swarbrick" <inf...@sprynet.com>

> On Lois & Clark Lois' father is Dr. Sam Lane and her mother (Ellen Lane)
> is alive.
>
> On Smallville Lois' father is General Sam Lane and Lois' mother died when
> she was six.
>
> How do either of these match up with Superman comics?

The general on Smallville corresponds to the current comics version;
here's one website mention:
http://www.supermanhomepage.com/comics/who/who-intro.php?topic=lane-sam

jayembee

Oct 2, 2004, 11:43:16 AM10/2/04
Frank Swarbrick <inf...@sprynet.com> wrote:

> On Lois & Clark Lois' father is Dr. Sam Lane and her
> mother (Ellen Lane) is alive.
>
> On Smallville Lois' father is General Sam Lane and Lois'
> mother died when she was six.
>
> How do either of these match up with Superman comics?

Neither matches entirely. The most recent version of
Superman comics canon (that I have read -- I'm about a
year or so out of date at this point) has Lois's father
as a general and her mother alive. If memory serves, the
two were separated or divorced as well.

Actually, Ellen Lane might consider herself a widow. General
Sam Lane was killed during a war with alien forces a couple
of years ago. It turns out his death was faked, but I don't
know if Ellen or Lois knows that.

-- jayembee

EGTea

Oct 2, 2004, 2:34:58 PM10/2/04

<TedJ...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

When I was a kid, (1960s) Lois's dad was a doctor, and Lois was a registered
nurse before she became a reporter. Even after joining the Daily Planet, she
put in volunteer shifts at a local hospital.

The Babaloughesian

Oct 2, 2004, 4:45:57 PM10/2/04

<TedJ...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

Whew. I was worried for a moment that they'd made him like this so he could
be a sort of Thunderbolt Ross. It still makes me uneasy that they've got
the always villainous Michael Ironside playing him.

Crowmeus

Oct 2, 2004, 6:55:56 PM10/2/04
"The Babaloughesian" <m...@privacy.net> scibed forth news:2s8icbF1he45oU1
@uni-berlin.de:

> the always villainous Michael Ironside

Usually villainous would be better. I can think of at least 3 roles he's
done that arent villains. Ham Tyler in "V The Final Battle" and "V The
Series", Captain Oliver Hudson on "SeaQuest 2032" and Sam Fisher in the
"Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell" video games.

ANIM8Rfsk

Oct 2, 2004, 6:58:44 PM10/2/04
<< From: jayembe...@snurcher.com (jayembee) >>

<< Neither matches entirely. The most recent version of
Superman comics canon (that I have read -- I'm about a
year or so out of date at this point) has Lois's father
as a general and her mother alive. >>

I'm also assuming that, given the age her mother died at and that she wasn't in
the photos, that Lucy Lane, Lois' little sister, doesn't exist in the
Smallvilleverse. Which leaves them free to make Jimmy Olson gay. Unless it
turns out that Chloe is actually Lois' little sister and not really her cousin
after all. Did we ever hear what happened to Chloe's mother, and when?

ANIM8Rfsk

Oct 3, 2004, 11:26:38 AM10/3/04
<< From: Crowmeus Pre...@yahoo.com >>

<< Usually villainous would be better. I can think of at least 3 roles he's
done that arent villains. Ham Tyler in "V The Final Battle" and "V The
Series", Captain Oliver Hudson on "SeaQuest 2032" >>

I think calling Hudson non villainous is pretty subjective.

EGTea

Oct 5, 2004, 2:48:01 AM10/5/04

"ANIM8Rfsk" <anim...@aol.comNOSPAM> wrote in message

I haven't paid attention to comic books in years. I know that DC tweaks
their origin stories periodically. Is Jimmy Olsen gay now?
I know that Jack Larson, the actor who played Jimmy in the 1950s
"Adventures of Superman" television series is gay because I read his name
in the obituary of film director James Bridges, described as Bridges'
"longtime companion."
So is Jimmy gay? Or is it important to you that Jimmy be gay because he
is associated with a gay man?