POLL: What REALLY makes a closing logo scary?

Walker Tatum

Sep 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/15/99
Of all the closing logos that have been on TV, what is the one thing that
makes them scary?

1) The logo/visuals themselves (despite being animated)
2) The animation
3) The music/SFX

Give detailed reasons why and some examples, please.

T. Groan

Sep 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/15/99

Walker Tatum <e...@intrstar.net> wrote in message
The Screen Gems logo from the '50s, with the big scary orchestral fanfare
that had me wetting my britches as a little kid...and this was always tacked
onto the Three Stooges shorts I loved then...
Also the weird SG logo from the late '60s with the eerie proto-synthesizer
music. (Sony has revived this logo and the Screen Gems name in the movie
"Arlington Road," though having not seen it I don't know if they also used
the music)

A case could be made for logos that zoomed in your face, i.e., the Warner
Brothers shield in the Looney Tunes.

Plhippen

Sep 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/15/99
Columbia is now using the Screen Gems name for theatrical films but in the past
it was only used for television productions.

Also, does anyone know about this new Screen Gems TV network? When does it
premiere? What stations will carry it?

Paul

Tim Wuthrich

Sep 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/15/99
Walker Tatum <e...@intrstar.net> wrote in message
> Of all the closing logos that have been on TV, what is the one thing that
> makes them scary?
>
> 1) The logo/visuals themselves (despite being animated)
> 2) The animation
> 3) The music/SFX
>
> Give detailed reasons why and some examples, please.

From an early age I considered the 1970s Viacom logo (we in the Closing
Logo Group call it "The V of Doom") scary for a couple of reasons. First,
the V seemed to be coming right at me. Also, the music and logo both start
and end suddenly, with that last note and timpani echoing for a good second
or two after the logo disappears.

--Jason Wuthrich

Newsguy

Sep 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/16/99
The closing for David Lynch's productions had strobe lights and electric
hissing and buzzing. Very dramatic. Most will probably remember it from
"Twin Peaks", and some may even remember "On the Air"-- Only David Lynch
could make a sitcom that would scare the crap out of you!

jhc86

Sep 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/16/99
The Screen Gems that produced "Arlington Road" is a
seperate company from columbia and Columbia/Sony does not
own it. Check out http://www.screengemsstudios.com and you
will see what I mean.

The Screen Gems Network debuts Sept.20 in syndication as an
one hour showcase of the Screen Gems TV library. First up
will be "Bewitched" and "I Dream of Jeannie". I don't know
what stations will carry it but it supposed to have 90%
clearance in the US--unfortunately I live in the 10% that
isn't!--:(

TSntana97

Sep 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/16/99
The Vyrdolak wrote in article <37e3d61d...@news.mindspring.com>:

> What production company uses the dancing stick figures that look sort of like
> cats? That always disturbs me for some reason.

Screen Gems early 60's? I'm just guessing. I don't remember them looking like
cats, though.

David Johnson

Sep 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/16/99
I'm not getting the Screen Gems Network either. Or The Martin Short
Show. And I have affiliates for ALL SIX commercial networks. We need a
low-power independent here. Now.

--David Johnson

Visit my homepage! Go to:
http://community.webtv.net/DPJOHNSON/centerDavidPJohnson

Please remove NOSPAM to send e-mail

Chance

Sep 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/18/99
In rec.arts.tv on 15 Sep 1999 23:10:20 GMT, plhi...@aol.com
(Plhippen) wrote:

>Columbia is now using the Screen Gems name for theatrical films but in the past
>it was only used for television productions.

What do you mean by "in the past?" I recall seeing the Screen Gems
name and logo in theatrical films released in the 1950s and '60s. Most
notably, I remember the altered version used in "The Mouse That
Roared," in which the Columbia goddess lifts her skirt, screams and
runs away after she discovers a mouse. The theater audience laughed
and cheered.

johnath...@gmail.com

Apr 3, 2020, 7:04:48 PM4/3/20
On Wednesday, September 15, 1999 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-5, Walker Tatum wrote:
> Of all the closing logos that have been on TV, what is the one thing that
> makes them scary?
>
> 1) The logo/visuals themselves (despite being animated)
> 2) The animation
> 3) The music/SFX
>
> Give detailed reasons why and some examples, please.

Idk. Its not possible. Oh. 1999? THIS IS OLD!