What Did You Watch? 2017-10-22 (Sunday)

Ubiquitous

Oct 23, 2017, 4:39:12 AM10/23/17
I watched:

TCM UNDERGROUND:
"Willard".

TCM UNDERGROUND:
"Ben".

CIRCLE OF FEAR:
"Spare Parts". The recipients of a deceased surgeon's organs fall under
the power of the departed doctor, who has one last mission to
accomplish on Earth. Not bad a story. I didn't expect it to end as it
did.

CIRCLE OF FEAR:
"The Ghost of Potter's Field". Tab Hunter portrays a magazine editor
and a ghostly double seeking possession of his body. This one was OK.

CIRCLE OF FEAR:
"The Phantom of Herald Square". A pact with the devil gives a man
eternal youth in exchange for women's lives. It wasn't nearly as
interesting as you'd think.

ONE STEP BEYOND:
"The Bride Possessed". A bride begins to predict features of an area
she's never seen.

ONE STEP BEYOND:
"Night of April 14, Story of the Titanic". A girl dreams of drowning in
the ocean, then learns that her fiancé plans a honeymoon for them---
aboard the Titanic.

THE LOVE BOAT:
• "A Rose Is Not a Rose". Rich Little is booked as a drag queen, only
for Arte Johnson and Julie to fall in love with his respective
identities.
• "Novelties". Maxwell Smart pesters Raymond's mother into buying some
of his prank novelty items.
• "Too Rich and Too Thin". Doctor Bricker discovers a model on board
has an eating disorder. This might be the first time anorexia nervosa
was on TV, or this was when it was the Big Thing in Hollywood.

THE LOVE BOAT:
With the exception of Tori Spelling, I have no idea who the guest stars
are!
• "Best Ex-Friends". The ship's new barmaid, who was hired by Isaac, is
inept and his girlfriend.
• "All the Congressman's Women". A Congressman takes a cruise despite
receiving several preemptive anonymous ransom notes made from cut up
magazines concerning his daughter, Tori Spelling.
• "Three Faces of Love". A jealous movie makeup man tests his fiancé's
fidelity.

THE MICK:
"The Haunted House". Mickey and Jimmy throw a Halloween party in
their spooky, charred mansion, but things get out of hand. Sabrina
hopes to use the house party to cement her legacy, which her parents
have tarnished, and Mickey teaches some pranksters a lesson. Hmm, I
might have to reconsider my decision to quit watching this show...

BOB'S BURGERS:
"The Wolf of Wharf Street". On Halloween night, Linda tries to impress
the kids by taking them to look for a wolf that has been terrorizing
the town. Meanwhile, an injured and medicated Bob believes that Teddy
has turned into a werewolf.

Neighbor:
• Freddie Kugel Halloween Noodles

Exterminator:
• Polter-Mice

Burger of the Day:
• (none)

Cher-iff is one of the better Linda costumes.

Gene: 'Let's go turn some tricks!'
Bob: 'Gene, don't say that.'

Bob had the perfect reaction to Linda saying the margarita's were
almost ruined when he peed in the blender.

THE SHAHS OF SUNSET:
"Reunion Part 1".

FAMILY GUY:
"Follow the Money". After Chris gets a special one-dollar bill for his
birthday and quickly loses it, the dollar gets passed from character to
character throughout Quahog.

What did you watch?

Obveeus

Oct 23, 2017, 9:13:35 AM10/23/17
I watched:

GOOD BEHAVIOR: This episode must have been written and directed by a
grade schooler given how much was wrong with it. The premise here is
that the son needs $20,000 for private school by Monday and we learn
this Friday afternoon. Logically, the mom would just steal the money
from someone, but this episode goes another direction and has Javier go
on the internet and find a 'hitman wanted' job that pays $20,000. I
guess these internet locations are plentiful because last time he used a
website to find a job it turned out to be a trap specifically for him
and the person was waiting for him to kill him. The time before that,
he answered a want ad that turned out to be specifically for him...a
trap set by the FBI. Never the less, he must have found a third website
for these kinds of jobs and even more fortunately, he found a 'hitman
wanted' ad that was just posted a week ago for a job right near by that
can be done that very weekend and it pays at least $20,000. So, Javier
is off to Tybee Island, Georgia, a barrier island with large rolling
hills and sheer cliffs. Javier has learned that his mark is allergic to
bees, so his plan is to trick the guy into being stung by a bee...or
maybe he plans to inject him with bee sting venom? We never find out
the plan because the plan goes awry when Letty, her son, and the two
neighbors decide to join Javier on this camping trip to the cliffs of
Tybee Island. So, the new plan is just to wait until the guy goes off
into the woods to pee and then kill him...but the guy pees right at the
campsite with everyone 2 feet away. Meanwhile, Letty doesn't want any
more killing going on, so she is trying to save the guy by hanging out
with him and his gaggle of friends...all of which have now seen Letty
and Javier and the neighbors and their cars so they could easily be
identified later. Javier tells Letty that the guy deserves to die
because he is a rapist. Letty doesn't believe Javier, so she goes off
into the woods to pee and the guy follows her so that he can rape her.
This plot point is convenient because then Letty is on board with Javier
killing the guy. So, Javier marches the guy to the edge of a cliff and
talks him into jumping to his death. You'd think this would be a
problem since there are 2 sets of footprints at the top of the cliff and
multiple witnesses who can identify them so they will at the very least
have to make police statements...a risky proposition since they are
wanted by the law. But, it gets worse because the neighbor girl saw the
forced cliff jump happen...and told Letty's son...who wants to believe
that his family is good, but cannot help but notice that the campers
next door are all searching for their missing friend the next morning.
I have no idea how they could get out of this withint having to run and
change identities again, but it looks like the show wants them sticking
around with these neighbors awhile longer.

NFL: some of the game between the Steelers and the Bengals. The
Steelers actually looked like a good team with a real running game even
if their best QB is playing Strong Safety when not on special teams.

What did you watch?

Ian J. Ball

Oct 23, 2017, 9:32:39 AM10/23/17
On 2017-10-23 09:30:41 +0000, Ubiquitous said:

> What did you watch?

Really, not much at all...:

Game Shakers (recorded) - "The Switch". What passes for "good" in the
second season of this show is an episode that's not completely awful
(like two of the three episodes preceeding this one were). Well, this
one wasn't completely awful, so... In the episode's plot, Bunny and
Hudson switch places, the former working for the remaining Game
Shakers, and the latter working for Double G. I did like that they
played against expectations and actually had Hudson be good at his job
with Double G. I didn't like the ending in which the remaining Game
Shakers were rewarded for being awful friends/children.

NFL football - Surprisingly, the Packers lose to the Saints. Even more
surprisingly, the Chargers *blank* Denver, getting their record that
much closer to 0.500. I had to put the late game on for background
noise, so I got to see the hated Patriots win in a fog...

Violetta (The Netflix) - Episode #1.65. Tomas gets Cami and co. to post
the unedited video online, and expose that Ludmilla is the one who
uploaded the original. Now the fandom are outraged that Violetta lost,
and are protesting Ludmilla. Later, somebody (righteously) dumps water
on Ludmilla for revenge (I liked that Nati had a laugh about it!).
Fourth-place finisher Leon "resigns" from the competition, so that
fifth-place finisher Violetta can advance in his place, but so far
Violetta is refusing to go back to the show.
Meanwhile, we get an actual *plot development*! (finally!!) when
Broadway is undeniably proven to be Gregorio's spy (Cami is
heartbroken!). And Jade's dad is still up to no good, and is snowing
Jade about this, if not Matias (who is still fully suspicious...).

I then put NCIS:LA on as background noise, while I did other stuff, so
I didn't get much out of the episode, except that I don't think Hetty
was in this episode *at all*, and that Deeks was driving around in a
Porsche that in the end was revealed to be inadvertantly stolen from
his boss (Nia Long). Heh.

Recorded for later: Just "Poldark".

Arthur Lipscomb

Oct 23, 2017, 11:17:15 AM10/23/17
On 10/23/2017 6:32 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
> On 2017-10-23 09:30:41 +0000, Ubiquitous said:
>
>> What did you watch?
>
> Really, not much at all...:

I had a day of DVR clearing and watched:

The Shannara Chronicles - "Wraith" - Already covered. Just slightly
above background noise.

The Deuce - Caught up on the last three episodes. Now I'm current on
the series.

Ray Donovan - "Michael" - Now that the question has been asked, I no
longer remember what Ray's father did to him either. But whatever it
was, I'm sure it was horrible.

The Walking Dead - "Mercy" - Season 8 premier picks up where the last
season ended with Team Rick going on the offensive. Pretty good premier.

The Simpsons - "Treehouse of Horror XXVIII" - I've pretty much dumped
the series, but I still have to watch *these* every year. The best bit
was probably the "Coraline" segment in the middle. The rest, meh.

Legends of Tomorrow - "Freakshow" - Team Legends have a Titanic of a
time fighting P.T. Barnum who seems to be a Phantom of his former self.

Mr. Robot - "1undo.gz" - Elliot joins EvilCorp and starts working his
way up the evil chain of command.

The Exorcist - "One for Sorrow" - I already forgot what happened but I'm
sure it was good.

Star Trek Discovery - "Lethe" - While mostly ignoring the major
developments from last week, that *really* need to be addressed, this
episode shifts focus to Sarek who is injured by Vulcan extremists who
want Vulcan out of the Federation. I'm really unclear on exactly what
happened there! Anyway, Michael senses he's in danger and leads
Discovery on a rescue mission. In no other Star Trek series would it
ever cross my mind that the ship's captain might murder a fellow Star
Fleet officer. But that definitely ran through my mind towards the end
when Captain Lorka was sending the Admiral on her way. And given how
things played out, I can't say that's not exactly what the Captain had
in mind in the first place. I don't know what the title means, but this
episode should have been called "Plausible deniability."

Geostorm (theatrical) - Set in the far off future year of 2019 humanity
has gained control of the weather thanks to a series of satellites
controlled by the international space station. But when someone seizes
control of the satellites and turns them into a weapon, it's up to
Gerard Butler and his brother Jim Sturgess to save the day. This movie
is *full* of snark!!!! This is the movie that dares to ask the
question, "Why would you build a self destruct function into the
international space station?!?!" I on the other hand was also forced to
constantly wonder, why do they have guns up there and use them to shoot
at people?!?! That can't be a good idea! But hey, at least they have
gravity. I fully expect that within the next two years everyone will be
walking around the ISS with earth level gravity for convenience (yeah, I
know the station rotated in the movie). And while I'm picking nits, if
I didn't know any better, I'd say the space station is not only
ridiculously big and roomy (almost as if it was a set on a sound stage)
but they don't appear to take into account weight when building it
(almost as if it was a set on a sound stage). It's also nice to know
that in the far off distant future year of 2019 we will have an entire
fleet of space shuttles that can afford to be used to send one man into
space. Which in and of itself wouldn't be a problem due to the urgency
of getting that character into space but it was noticeable that seconds
before his blast off another shuttle was launched leaving me to see this
guy in an empty space shuttle and wonder why didn't he go up on the
other ship? There was a scene in the movie when a boy and his dog were
in danger due to the weather and of course they were saved at the last
second in a scene ripped straight out of Independence Day. I also
couldn't help but constantly think of The Day After Tomorrow" so it was
no surprise when the credits rolled and I saw Dean Devlin's name all
over the place, director, writer, producer. This *is* Dean Devlin
unleashed. Anyway, if you want to see Andy Garcia give the best line
reading ever of "I am the President of the United States!" then *see*
this movie now. Yeah, its bad. *But* if you see it now instead of
waiting, then unless you're anim8frsk, you can see it in IMAX 3D, which
was the *main* selling point that got me into the theater. Bring your
3D glasses, a can of snark, sit back and enjoy it as much as you'd enjoy
any other action movie staring Gerad Butler Jim Sturgess and directed by
Dean Devlin. And so Ian doesn't bite my head off, Abbie Cornish is in
it too!

anim8rfsk

Oct 23, 2017, 11:41:13 AM10/23/17
In article <UBI20...@dont-email.me>, Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net>
wrote:
Yeah, the guest stars in this were a low point. Heidi Bohay, who I
think was the finacé, was mostly known for other Spelling shows, like
Hotel. Same notation for Phyllis Davis, is the congressman story, who
was Dan Tanna's showgirl secretary on Vega$. The other people ... Sal
Viscuso? Eugenia Wright? Fred Leaf as Burt Reynolds? WTH?

Wright was the useless barmaid. She just did one shots on various
shows. Her big credit is PIGS VS FREAKS which I've never even heard of.
She died young of pneumonia!?!?

> FAMILY GUY:
> "Follow the Money". After Chris gets a special one-dollar bill for his
> birthday and quickly loses it, the dollar gets passed from character to
> character throughout Quahog.

This was quite different than their usual fare, and yet had lots of
Easter eggs for regular viewers, and I enjoyed it quite a lot.

> What did you watch?

Still playing ketchup and posting results in the appropriate day threads.

--
Join your old RAT friends at
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1688985234647266/

Ian J. Ball

Oct 23, 2017, 11:42:57 AM10/23/17
She's hott. :)

Obveeus

Oct 23, 2017, 12:38:27 PM10/23/17
She's a product of global warming?

anim8rfsk

Oct 23, 2017, 1:03:23 PM10/23/17
In article <osl15o$eg0$1...@dont-email.me>,
Arthur Lipscomb <art...@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

> Star Trek Discovery - "Lethe" - While mostly ignoring the major
> developments from last week, that *really* need to be addressed, this
> episode shifts focus to Sarek who is injured by Vulcan extremists who
> want Vulcan out of the Federation. I'm really unclear on exactly what
> happened there! Anyway, Michael senses he's in danger and leads
> Discovery on a rescue mission. In no other Star Trek series would it
> ever cross my mind that the ship's captain might murder a fellow Star
> Fleet officer. But that definitely ran through my mind towards the end
> when Captain Lorka was sending the Admiral on her way. And given how
> things played out, I can't say that's not exactly what the Captain had
> in mind in the first place. I don't know what the title means, but this
> episode should have been called "Plausible deniability."

Lethe is a river in Hell that makes you forget. That make any sense?

Serious question: You included this under "DVR cleaning" How do you
actually watch this? On your computer?

anim8rfsk

Oct 23, 2017, 1:06:06 PM10/23/17
In article <osl15o$eg0$1...@dont-email.me>,
Arthur Lipscomb <art...@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

> Geostorm (theatrical) - Set in the far off future year of 2019 humanity
> has gained control of the weather thanks to a series of satellites
> controlled by the international space station. But when someone seizes
> control of the satellites and turns them into a weapon, it's up to
> Gerard Butler and his brother Jim Sturgess to save the day. This movie
> is *full* of snark!!!! This is the movie that dares to ask the
> question, "Why would you build a self destruct function into the
> international space station?!?!" I on the other hand was also forced to
> constantly wonder, why do they have guns up there and use them to shoot
> at people?!?! That can't be a good idea! But hey, at least they have
> gravity. I fully expect that within the next two years everyone will be
> walking around the ISS with earth level gravity for convenience (yeah, I
> know the station rotated in the movie).

In ARMAGEDDON the station rotated but the gravity went inwards ...

And while I'm picking nits, if
> I didn't know any better, I'd say the space station is not only
> ridiculously big and roomy (almost as if it was a set on a sound stage)
> but they don't appear to take into account weight when building it
> (almost as if it was a set on a sound stage). It's also nice to know
> that in the far off distant future year of 2019 we will have an entire
> fleet of space shuttles that can afford to be used to send one man into
> space. Which in and of itself wouldn't be a problem due to the urgency
> of getting that character into space but it was noticeable that seconds
> before his blast off another shuttle was launched leaving me to see this
> guy in an empty space shuttle and wonder why didn't he go up on the
> other ship? There was a scene in the movie when a boy and his dog were
> in danger due to the weather and of course they were saved at the last
> second in a scene ripped straight out of Independence Day. I also
> couldn't help but constantly think of The Day After Tomorrow" so it was
> no surprise when the credits rolled and I saw Dean Devlin's name all
> over the place, director, writer, producer. This *is* Dean Devlin
> unleashed. Anyway, if you want to see Andy Garcia give the best line
> reading ever of "I am the President of the United States!" then *see*
> this movie now. Yeah, its bad. *But* if you see it now instead of
> waiting, then unless you're anim8frsk, you can see it in IMAX 3D, which

Well *that* was just mean. :(

> was the *main* selling point that got me into the theater. Bring your
> 3D glasses, a can of snark, sit back and enjoy it as much as you'd enjoy
> any other action movie staring Gerad Butler Jim Sturgess and directed by
> Dean Devlin. And so Ian doesn't bite my head off, Abbie Cornish is in
> it too!

Arthur Lipscomb

Oct 23, 2017, 1:15:34 PM10/23/17
On 10/23/2017 10:03 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> In article <osl15o$eg0$1...@dont-email.me>,
> Arthur Lipscomb <art...@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
>
>> Star Trek Discovery - "Lethe" - While mostly ignoring the major
>> developments from last week, that *really* need to be addressed, this
>> episode shifts focus to Sarek who is injured by Vulcan extremists who
>> want Vulcan out of the Federation. I'm really unclear on exactly what
>> happened there! Anyway, Michael senses he's in danger and leads
>> Discovery on a rescue mission. In no other Star Trek series would it
>> ever cross my mind that the ship's captain might murder a fellow Star
>> Fleet officer. But that definitely ran through my mind towards the end
>> when Captain Lorka was sending the Admiral on her way. And given how
>> things played out, I can't say that's not exactly what the Captain had
>> in mind in the first place. I don't know what the title means, but this
>> episode should have been called "Plausible deniability."
>
> Lethe is a river in Hell that makes you forget. That make any sense?

I looked that up before posting but that meaning didn't really tie into
the episode. While the episode did deal with Sarek's memory of a past
event, it wasn't something that he had forgot.

> Serious question: You included this under "DVR cleaning" How do you
> actually watch this? On your computer?

I include *everything* I watched under DVR clearing, including Geostorm. ;-)

I have a laptop plugged into my receiver via HDMI cable. That gives me
the picture on my TV and surround sound. However, when I watch at 5:30
with everyone else, the picture tends to be a bit choppy. Last week I
watched late and it seemed to run a bit smoother. However, I have no
idea if what I'm seeing is HD or not. It doesn't really look to be HD
but that could just be CBS's servers not being able to handle the dozens
maybe even hundreds of people watching at the same time.

Arthur Lipscomb

Oct 23, 2017, 1:21:54 PM10/23/17
Sorry. But you can always see it in regular old 3D. But you never go
to the theater anymore anyway, do you?

Obveeus

Oct 23, 2017, 1:26:37 PM10/23/17
Can't you just go to Arizona Mills for IMAX 3D?

icebreaker

Oct 23, 2017, 1:27:17 PM10/23/17
Good Witch : Spellbound (HMRK) -- Some townie kicked out many a year
ago left a prophecy 11 pages of which are found. The last page is
missing. This coincides with Halloween. Of course, Cassie and Grace
are in the spirit and Abigail and Stephanie are in competition. Sam is
a poo poo and can't be scared by anything until Nick goes missing when
he gets himself locked in a cabinet inside Sam's office in an attempt
to scare him. To make matters even creepier, there's a dude popping up
about town that resembles the late prophesizer. And then the prophesy
starts to bear out, including the roles of the Nightengales.

Darrow and Darrow (HMM) -- Shenanigans surrounding a mother (Wendy
Malick) and daughter (Kimberly Williams) law firm plus an assistant DA
(Tom Cavanaugh) that's both a courtroom foe and a love interest. This
is a new entry to Hallmark Movies & Mysteries carousel. The mom left
the firm after her husband passed leaving the daughter alone. Now
mom's back and wants back in.

Laudermilk (Audience) -- An ascerbic recovering alcoholic (Ron
Livingston) and substance abuse counselor whose unconventional
approach gets him tossed from the Catholic Church providing meeting
space has to agree to help a parishioner's pole dancing teen daughter
get off drugs. I liked this and didn't expect to. Rife with naughty
language and even some boobies and co-starring Will Sasso and Laura
Mennell.

SMILF (Showcase?) -- I saw this sneak preview. It's written, directed,
and acted by Frankie Shaw. I think it's soft porn which is what she
sorta does. She's a single mom with a kid in a stroller wondering
whether her vag is now so stretched out no one will want her. Bleh.
She's supposed to be a twenty-something but looks older to me.

STD (CBSASS) -- Stuff with Vulcan dad in distress reaching out to
Burnham via mind meld stuff. The Admiral visits Lorca and they end up
in bed and it doesn't go well. The nasty Klingons nab the Adm.

---
http://www.avg.com

Obveeus

Oct 23, 2017, 1:30:40 PM10/23/17
My Sony has an LED on the front to indicate if the incoming signal is
HD. Of course, that doesn't guarantee that the signal wasn't compressed
down to something less before being broadcast in HD, but it helps the
likelyhood of it being HD. On the PC (places like Youtube), 1080 and
720 look great, but 480 is perfectly good for most viewing. It is when
the video drops to 360 and under that it really isn't worth wasting time
viewing.

icebreaker

Oct 23, 2017, 1:32:07 PM10/23/17
On Mon, 23 Oct 2017 08:17:10 -0700, Arthur Lipscomb
<art...@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

>Star Trek Discovery - "Lethe" - While mostly ignoring the major
>developments from last week, that *really* need to be addressed, this
>episode shifts focus to Sarek who is injured by Vulcan extremists who
>want Vulcan out of the Federation. I'm really unclear on exactly what
>happened there! Anyway, Michael senses he's in danger and leads
>Discovery on a rescue mission. In no other Star Trek series would it
>ever cross my mind that the ship's captain might murder a fellow Star
>Fleet officer. But that definitely ran through my mind towards the end
>when Captain Lorka was sending the Admiral on her way. And given how
>things played out, I can't say that's not exactly what the Captain had
>in mind in the first place. I don't know what the title means, but this
>episode should have been called "Plausible deniability."

I thought this episode was bizarre. I have no idea where any of this
is headed. I didn't care for any of it. Is Lorca really a bad man?
Would ST really do this? He's an odd duck of the highest order. This
stuff is ruining the thing for me.

anim8rfsk

Oct 23, 2017, 1:38:32 PM10/23/17
In article <bj9suc11o6lo5a269...@4ax.com>,
icebreaker <icebr...@nowhere.com> wrote:

> Good Witch : Spellbound (HMRK) -- Some townie kicked out many a year
> ago left a prophecy 11 pages of which are found. The last page is
> missing. This coincides with Halloween. Of course, Cassie and Grace
> are in the spirit and Abigail and Stephanie are in competition. Sam is
> a poo poo and can't be scared by anything until Nick goes missing when
> he gets himself locked in a cabinet inside Sam's office in an attempt
> to scare him. To make matters even creepier, there's a dude popping up
> about town that resembles the late prophesizer. And then the prophesy
> starts to bear out, including the roles of the Nightengales.

Wait, what? There's a new Good Witch!??!!? Neither my DVR nor my
OnDEMAND know a thing about this.

BTR1701

Oct 23, 2017, 1:46:05 PM10/23/17
In article <osl15o$eg0$1...@dont-email.me>,
Arthur Lipscomb <art...@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

I actually like it. Stupid as hell, but it was a fun couple of hours.
Like watching a live action cartoon. Plus the USSS agent was a biscuit.

And if you can't pick out who the bad guy is within five minutes, you're
a moron.

anim8rfsk

Oct 23, 2017, 1:53:42 PM10/23/17
In article <bj9suc11o6lo5a269...@4ax.com>,
icebreaker <icebr...@nowhere.com> wrote:

> Good Witch : Spellbound (HMRK) -- Some townie kicked out many a year
> ago left a prophecy 11 pages of which are found. The last page is
> missing. This coincides with Halloween. Of course, Cassie and Grace
> are in the spirit and Abigail and Stephanie are in competition. Sam is
> a poo poo and can't be scared by anything until Nick goes missing when
> he gets himself locked in a cabinet inside Sam's office in an attempt
> to scare him. To make matters even creepier, there's a dude popping up
> about town that resembles the late prophesizer. And then the prophesy
> starts to bear out, including the roles of the Nightengales.

Hallmark gets today's nomination for 'worst website in history'

It looks like I can watch dozens of things *about* Spellbound, but no
Spellbound. No torrents either.

anim8rfsk

Oct 23, 2017, 1:54:14 PM10/23/17
In article <osl8ff$c0o$1...@dont-email.me>,
It's not worth it since digital projection.

anim8rfsk

Oct 23, 2017, 1:54:54 PM10/23/17
In article <osl83j$90k$1...@dont-email.me>,
Ah, k, thanks!

Dimensional Traveler

Oct 23, 2017, 2:05:52 PM10/23/17
Every theatre he tries to go to turns him away then goes out of business.

instinct are running screaming.

anim8rfsk

Oct 23, 2017, 2:44:15 PM10/23/17
In article <oslb1t$tc0$2...@dont-email.me>,
Just the IMAX theaters.

Arthur Lipscomb

Oct 23, 2017, 5:49:46 PM10/23/17
I've heard one theory that Lorca and his previous security chief are
from the Mirror Universe. After last night's episode it wouldn't
surprise me if that turns out to be the case. A secondary theory is the
new security chief is a surgically altered Klingon. I'm waiting for him
to get near a tribble to know for sure...

icebreaker

Oct 23, 2017, 6:30:28 PM10/23/17
On Mon, 23 Oct 2017 14:49:42 -0700, Arthur Lipscomb
LOL. I'll give it a few more to be fair but if it doesn't get better,
I'll likely bail. I hate it when asshole writers think what came
before was utter crap and try to adult things up, and while doing so,
screw the pooch.

Ubiquitous

Oct 24, 2017, 7:04:59 AM10/24/17
art...@alum.calberkeley.org wrote:
>On 10/23/2017 6:32 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
>> On 2017-10-23 09:30:41 +0000, Ubiquitous said:

>>> What did you watch?
>>
>> Really, not much at all...:
>
>I had a day of DVR clearing and watched:
>
>Star Trek Discovery - "Lethe" - While mostly ignoring the major
>developments from last week

... and we have our title!

Ubiquitous

Oct 24, 2017, 7:06:45 AM10/24/17
anim...@cox.net wrote:
> Arthur Lipscomb <art...@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

>> Geostorm (theatrical) - Set in the far off future year of 2019 humanity
>> has gained control of the weather thanks to a series of satellites
>> controlled by the international space station. But when someone seizes
>> control of the satellites and turns them into a weapon, it's up to
>> Gerard Butler and his brother Jim Sturgess to save the day. This movie
>> is *full* of snark!!!! This is the movie that dares to ask the
>> question, "Why would you build a self destruct function into the
>> international space station?!?!" I on the other hand was also forced to
>> constantly wonder, why do they have guns up there and use them to shoot
>> at people?!?! That can't be a good idea! But hey, at least they have
>> gravity. I fully expect that within the next two years everyone will be
>> walking around the ISS with earth level gravity for convenience (yeah, I
>> know the station rotated in the movie).
>
>In ARMAGEDDON the station rotated but the gravity went inwards ...

That's because it was spinning in the wrong direction.

Lesmond

Oct 24, 2017, 8:10:14 AM10/24/17
On Mon, 23 Oct 2017 04:30:41 -0500, Ubiquitous wrote:

>I watched:
>
>TCM UNDERGROUND:
>"Willard".
>
>TCM UNDERGROUND:
>"Ben".

Awesome.

>THE LOVE BOAT:
> "A Rose Is Not a Rose". Rich Little is booked as a drag queen, only
>for Arte Johnson and Julie to fall in love with his respective
>identities.

My god. I remember this from when it first aired.

--
Do not spray into eyes
I have sprayed you into my eyes

Lesmond

Oct 24, 2017, 8:10:17 AM10/24/17
On Mon, 23 Oct 2017 08:41:04 -0700, anim8rfsk wrote:

>Yeah, the guest stars in this were a low point. Heidi Bohay, who I
>think was the finac‚, was mostly known for other Spelling shows, like
>Hotel. Same notation for Phyllis Davis, is the congressman story, who
>was Dan Tanna's showgirl secretary on Vega$. The other people ... Sal
>Viscuso?

Wasn't he on Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman? The priest maybe?

anim8rfsk

Oct 24, 2017, 10:16:23 AM10/24/17
In article <osn6s1$kfi$3...@dont-email.me>,
Hee hee, that's what my rocket scientist friend refers to as "left
handed gravity" - make a fist and stick out your thumb and see how the
direction of gravity goes at right angles to the rotation, and reverses
with the reversal of rotation. I think he coined that when they did it
wrong in MOONRAKER.

Jim G.

Oct 25, 2017, 12:29:09 AM10/25/17
Ubiquitous sent the following on 10/23/2017 at 04:30 AM:
> What did you watch?

STAR TREK: DISCOVERY / 1x06 / Lethe

[Michael uses her connection to Sarek to help locate him after he is
wounded in an assassination attempt. Lorca deals with an unexpected
visitor.]

"I can't leave Starfleet's most powerful weapon in the hands of a broken
man."
"I always knew I could never be who he wanted me to be. But I realized
today that it goes both ways. I'll never get from him what I want, either."

While on his way to meet with representatives of the two ruling houses
of Klingons that are sympathetic to the idea of peace with the
Federation, a fellow Vulcan tries to take out Sarek for his perceived
over-fondness for humans. Because part of his katra has been with her
for a while now, this leads to issues for Burnham aboard Discovery. In
the past, however, it saved her when she was killed (for three minutes)
by renegade Vulcans in a bombing at the Vulcan Learning Center where she
was educated. For now, she senses that Sarek may be dying and enlists
Lorca's assistance in saving him. He agrees. Without seeking Starfleet
approval, of course. And against Vulcan wishes, of course. Because he's
Lorca.

Admiral Cornwell shows up to provide lip service to my biggest beef with
the show so far: namely, Lorca's free rein. But she clearly has a
history with Lorca and their evening's discussions eventually go from
matters of Starfleet to matters of warm sheets. Later, she touches a
scar on his back as he sleeps and he is instantly on her with a phaser.
To say that she is not happy with this reaction would be an
understatement, but she'd figured it all out already. In short, Lorca
had issues before his recent period of captivity and he *really* has
issues now.

As she attempts to use Sarek's katra to remotely assist him, Burnham
keeps getting rebuffed by him until she stops approaching the situation
from the perspective of her being his biggest failure and starts to look
at it from the perspective of Sarek's biggest regret, which turns out
to be that he chose Spock over her when forced to choose which one of
his "not quite Vulcan" children would be allowed to study at the
Academy. It seems she didn't fail to qualify, after all. And given that
Spock ended up rejecting the Academy in favor of Starfleet, Sarek's
choice was a wasted one. For her part, Burnham is upset that she has
spent all of the ensuing years feeling that she had failed Sarek when
the reality has been that he has withheld the truth from her. With the
air cleared, Sarek stops fighting her and gives her his location via
katra, allowing himself to be saved. But he's too weak to complete his
mission to speak with the sympathetic Klingons.

After acting like himself again and unilaterally offering Burnham a
bridge slot as Science Specialist, which she accepts, Lorca then enlists
Cornwell as Sarek's replacement for the negotiations with the two
splintering Klingon houses. As she leaves Discovery, Cornwell confirms
to Lorca that she plans to have him pulled from command for psych
treatment, at which point I figured that there was a 50-50 chance that
he's manufacture some excuse to simply blow her shuttle out of the sky.
But he didn't. Nonetheless, the two Federation-friendly Klingon houses
were outed somewhere along the way and their reps are killed soon after
Cornwell arrives, with Cornwell conveniently taken hostage as leverage.
And once he's made aware of the situation, Lorca uncharacteristically
insists that things be done by the book, which will ensure that a quick
rescue is not in the cards...

All in all, a good outing that gets around to addressing issues related
to Lorca's disproportionate power and autonomy within Starfleet.
However, if Cornwell failed to pass along her observations and concerns
before being captured, it could all be a wasted exercise in the end. Is
Lorca really so far gone that he'd see her dead in order to stay in the
captain's chair on Discovery. Time will tell.

"Captain, respectfully submit that the attractiveness of the ship's
occupant makes the rescue imperative." -- Lt. Gordon Malloy, THE ORVILLE

chicagofan

Oct 26, 2017, 11:33:50 AM10/26/17
icebreaker wrote:
> Darrow and Darrow (HMM) -- Shenanigans surrounding a mother (Wendy
> Malick) and daughter (Kimberly Williams) law firm plus an assistant DA
> (Tom Cavanaugh) that's both a courtroom foe and a love interest. This
> is a new entry to Hallmark Movies & Mysteries carousel. The mom left
> the firm after her husband passed leaving the daughter alone. Now
> mom's back and wants back in.

Did you like it or find it passable?
bj

icebreaker

Oct 26, 2017, 11:34:08 AM10/26/17
On Wed, 25 Oct 2017 12:28:43 -0400, chicagofan <m...@privacy.net>
wrote:
It's a fluff show. It's mainly an 80s style show with some law and
wave your hand investigation. It's watchable if you like Hallmark type
things which I do for the most part.

David Barnett

Oct 26, 2017, 11:34:55 AM10/26/17
In article <osp3ue$c99$1...@dont-email.me>, jimg...@geemail.com.invalid
says...
> STAR TREK: DISCOVERY / 1x06 / Lethe

<snip>
Thanks for your review Jim.
It clarified some things for me.

--
David Barnett

Jim G.

Oct 27, 2017, 12:26:52 AM10/27/17
Arthur Lipscomb sent the following on 10/23/2017 at 10:17 AM:
> Geostorm (theatrical)

So once you realized that you were in the wrong theater, you were too
embarrassed to get up and go to the one that was showing the movie that
you had actuallly gone to see?

--
Jim G. | Often found between a chair and a keyboard
"I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." -- Isaac Asimov

Jim G.

Oct 27, 2017, 12:36:32 AM10/27/17
David Barnett sent the following on 10/25/2017 at 05:39 PM:
You're welcome!

Obveeus

Oct 27, 2017, 10:09:51 AM10/27/17

On 10/27/2017 12:26 AM, Jim G. wrote:
> Arthur Lipscomb sent the following on 10/23/2017 at 10:17 AM:
>> Geostorm (theatrical)
>
> So once you realized that you were in the wrong theater, you were too
> embarrassed to get up and go to the one that was showing the movie that
> you had actuallly gone to see?

Speaking of which, how is it that all you spandex superhero nerds are
not out at the theaters watching PROFESSOR MARSTON AND THE WONDER WOMEN?

A Friend

Oct 27, 2017, 10:39:02 AM10/27/17
In article <osvenb$6gg$4...@dont-email.me>, Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com>
wrote:
Because films like that are what HBO is for.

Obveeus

Oct 27, 2017, 10:46:18 AM10/27/17
I'll admit that that general sentiment is why I opted for BLADE RUNNER
2049 over PROFESSOR MARSTON AND THE WONDER WOMEN.

anim8rfsk

Oct 27, 2017, 12:11:36 PM10/27/17
In article <osvenb$6gg$4...@dont-email.me>, Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com>
wrote:

Perhaps because we've never heard of it?

Obveeus

Oct 27, 2017, 6:06:27 PM10/27/17

On 10/27/2017 12:11 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> In article <osvenb$6gg$4...@dont-email.me>, Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 10/27/2017 12:26 AM, Jim G. wrote:
>>> Arthur Lipscomb sent the following on 10/23/2017 at 10:17 AM:
>>>
>>> So once you realized that you were in the wrong theater, you were too
>>> embarrassed to get up and go to the one that was showing the movie that
>>> you had actuallly gone to see?
>>
>> Speaking of which, how is it that all you spandex superhero nerds are
>> not out at the theaters watching PROFESSOR MARSTON AND THE WONDER WOMEN?
>
> Perhaps because we've never heard of it?

Google is your friend:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt6133130/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Jim G.

Oct 27, 2017, 6:37:47 PM10/27/17
Obveeus sent the following on 10/27/2017 at 09:09 AM:
I haven't set foot in a movie theater in over a decade.

anim8rfsk

Oct 27, 2017, 7:57:24 PM10/27/17
In article <ot0al1$7gv$1...@dont-email.me>, Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com>
wrote:

> On 10/27/2017 12:11 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> > In article <osvenb$6gg$4...@dont-email.me>, Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com>
> > wrote:

> >> Speaking of which, how is it that all you spandex superhero nerds are
> >> not out at the theaters watching PROFESSOR MARSTON AND THE WONDER WOMEN?
> >
> > Perhaps because we've never heard of it?
>
> Google is your friend:

Not in this place of origin or the nearest convenient parallel dimension.

Obveeus

Oct 27, 2017, 10:48:30 PM10/27/17
Boxofficemojo says that it lost 80% of its theaters for this weekend.
That likely means it will be available DVD/streaming very soon.

Obveeus

Oct 27, 2017, 10:55:56 PM10/27/17

On 10/27/2017 6:37 PM, Jim G. wrote:
> Obveeus sent the following on 10/27/2017 at 09:09 AM:
>>
>> On 10/27/2017 12:26 AM, Jim G. wrote:
>>> Arthur Lipscomb sent the following on 10/23/2017 at 10:17 AM:
>>>
>>> So once you realized that you were in the wrong theater, you were too
>>> embarrassed to get up and go to the one that was showing the movie that
>>> you had actuallly gone to see?
>>
>> Speaking of which, how is it that all you spandex superhero nerds are
>> not out at the theaters watching PROFESSOR MARSTON AND THE WONDER WOMEN?
>
> I haven't set foot in a movie theater in over a decade.

They now offer senior discounts, reclining seats, alcohol, and even
those lovely Coca-Cola freestyle machines so you can get just the right
flavor level in your tankard of cola.

Jim G.

Oct 28, 2017, 1:14:39 AM10/28/17
Obveeus sent the following on 10/27/2017 at 09:55 PM:

> On 10/27/2017 6:37 PM, Jim G. wrote:
>> Obveeus sent the following on 10/27/2017 at 09:09 AM:

>>> Speaking of which, how is it that all you spandex superhero nerds are
>>> not out at the theaters watching PROFESSOR MARSTON AND THE WONDER WOMEN?
>>
>> I haven't set foot in a movie theater in over a decade.
>
> They now offer senior discounts,

Don't make me beat you with my cane.

> reclining seats,

I have that at home.

> alcohol,

I have that at home.

> and even
> those lovely Coca-Cola freestyle machines so you can get just the right
> flavor level in your tankard of cola.

I have unlimited coffee and Scotch at home.

anim8rfsk

Oct 28, 2017, 2:35:33 AM10/28/17
In article <ot0rjp$3fn$1...@dont-email.me>, Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com>
wrote:
And everybody in the theater has their mobile device on, and the digital
projection is, well, lousy.

anim8rfsk

Oct 28, 2017, 2:36:10 AM10/28/17
In article <ot0r5s$1e1$1...@dont-email.me>, Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com>
wheeee!

Google is still not my friend.

Obveeus

Oct 28, 2017, 9:34:37 AM10/28/17
When I went to BLADE RUNNER 2049, I didn't see anyone using a phone
inside the theater. Of course, that issue has been largely resolved by
the huge reclining seats and the wall between each row. Now, I don't
think anyone outside of the row you are sitting in could cause a cell
phone to be visible unless they held it up to the sky.

Obveeus

Oct 28, 2017, 9:36:39 AM10/28/17
When they take over the world, you are going to be sorry you posted that.

anim8rfsk

Oct 28, 2017, 11:01:38 AM10/28/17
In article <ot211b$qn$1...@dont-email.me>, Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com>
I specifically said 'devices' because last time I went, there were
people using their damn TABLETS in the dark!

anim8rfsk

Oct 28, 2017, 11:01:59 AM10/28/17
In article <ot2154$qn$2...@dont-email.me>, Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com>
Never say never!

BTR1701

Oct 28, 2017, 12:24:01 PM10/28/17
In article <anim8rfsk-4377D...@news.easynews.com>,
The newest trend seems to be for the people who arrive late, after the
movie has started, to walk into the theater with their cell phones lit
up like flashlights and to shine them in the eyes of the audience as
they hunt for an empty seat. It is quite possibly the most narcissistic,
no-one-matters-but-me-and-if-it-bothers-you-fuck-off behavior I've seen
in quite a long while.

anim8rfsk

Oct 28, 2017, 12:33:57 PM10/28/17
In article <atropos-FBF44F...@news.giganews.com>,
I haven't seen that yet - the tablet users seem to arrive early - but
I've fully been expecting it.

BTR1701

Oct 28, 2017, 12:44:38 PM10/28/17
In article <anim8rfsk-406E9...@news.easynews.com>,
Thankfully the theater I use is very oriented toward a distraction-free
environment. They've always used their ushers to introduce the movie to
the audience-- before the lights go down, they stand at the front,
welcome the audience, point out the emergency exits, give the film's
run-time, etc. So since they already have someone in the theater at the
beginning of each movie, I noticed that lately the greeter has been
lingering by the door through the first 5-10 minutes, telling people who
walk in with their phones lit up to turn them off.

anim8rfsk

Oct 28, 2017, 1:07:25 PM10/28/17
In article <atropos-C13B52...@news.giganews.com>,
Cool. I haven't seen an usher in a local theater since the turn of the
century. I make a point of going to a good theater whenever I'm in L.A.

BTR1701

Oct 28, 2017, 1:44:30 PM10/28/17
In article <anim8rfsk-EE6DC...@news.easynews.com>,
Arclight is the best. They actually kick people out for disrupting the
movie-- talking, cell phone use, etc. And they have a strict "no baby"
policy. I've seen them turn away people who show up with their infant in
one of those detachable car seat cradle things. Babies have no place in
a movie theater, and this place recognizes that.

Obveeus

Oct 28, 2017, 1:56:52 PM10/28/17
The way the stadium seating is now, I don't think one would even notice
a person in the rows in front of them (or behind them) if they had an
old fashioned CRT TV plugged in.

anim8rfsk

Oct 28, 2017, 2:16:02 PM10/28/17
In article <ot2gd1$e83$4...@dont-email.me>, Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com>
That's not been my experience, but I've not been to one of these new
fangled 16 seat theaters where they bring you adult beverages, and,
since the one at the Pavilions moved to Maricopa (!) I probably never
will.

anim8rfsk

Oct 28, 2017, 2:17:24 PM10/28/17
In article <atropos-DF41C8...@news.giganews.com>,
I've seen that done at the dome. Some idiot brought her baby to a
midnight show! She was lucky that management dragged her out before the
audience lynched her.

Obveeus

Oct 28, 2017, 2:27:24 PM10/28/17
The stadium seating, with a short wall between each row and large
reclining chairs completely obscures a seated person's view of other
rows in the theater. The only nuisance light left to see comes from the
EXIT signs...and even that can be obscured from some rows when you recline.

anim8rfsk

Oct 28, 2017, 2:32:19 PM10/28/17
In article <ot2i6a$16r$1...@dont-email.me>, Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com>
cool

Lesmond

Oct 29, 2017, 2:10:07 AM10/29/17
Really? From a guy who googled the Cathlolics' position on lube?

--
Do not spray into eyes
I have sprayed you into my eyes

Lesmond

Oct 29, 2017, 2:50:12 AM10/29/17
If it's a typical midnight movie, who would hear the baby?

My worst was a Constantine Maroulis show at Starland Ballroom. It's not a
Ballroom, it's a large pit or at least it was before Hurricane Sandy. They
basically had to rebuild the place and it's much nicer now. But that's
neither here nor there.

At the Constantine show there were a lot of of young kids and young mothers.
Babies everywhere. They had no idea. This is a club. Everyone is
drinking. It stays open until two. Constantine never even came on until
12:30.

It got crowded. I looked around. Babies everywhere! I was by the stage
and after the first couple of bands needed to use the bathroom. Pushing my
way through this unending crowd of people, I hear a scream. "You almost
stepped on my baby!"

Yes, she is in a filthy club (it was long enough ago that we were still able
to smoke in clubs and they didn't exactly provide ashtrays unless you were
sitting at the bar) and her maybe six month old baby is on a baby blanket on
the floor. Next to her three year old toddler on a towel. I look around
and see a few more. I have wandered into the mommy zone.

It was like walking through a minefield. At midnight in a loud raucous
club. And trust me, it was loud.

It was also when I realized that young folks think if you leave your place
by the stage you can't have it back. Enough people in the crowd agreed with
me and helped me surge forward. So they let me that night, but now it's the
new culture. You can't go back.

anim8rfsk

Oct 29, 2017, 3:36:22 AM10/29/17
In article <yrfzbaqirevmbaar...@192.168.0.8>,
IIRC it was Fantasia, and the acoustics in the dome are such that she
may as well have been shoving the kid in your face, like in an Olive
Garden commercial.

> My worst was a Constantine Maroulis show at Starland Ballroom. It's not a
> Ballroom, it's a large pit or at least it was before Hurricane Sandy. They
> basically had to rebuild the place and it's much nicer now. But that's
> neither here nor there.
>
> At the Constantine show there were a lot of of young kids and young mothers.
> Babies everywhere. They had no idea. This is a club. Everyone is
> drinking. It stays open until two. Constantine never even came on until
> 12:30.
>
> It got crowded. I looked around. Babies everywhere! I was by the stage
> and after the first couple of bands needed to use the bathroom. Pushing my
> way through this unending crowd of people, I hear a scream. "You almost
> stepped on my baby!"
>
> Yes, she is in a filthy club (it was long enough ago that we were still able
> to smoke in clubs and they didn't exactly provide ashtrays unless you were
> sitting at the bar) and her maybe six month old baby is on a baby blanket on
> the floor. Next to her three year old toddler on a towel. I look around
> and see a few more. I have wandered into the mommy zone.
>
> It was like walking through a minefield. At midnight in a loud raucous
> club. And trust me, it was loud.
>
> It was also when I realized that young folks think if you leave your place
> by the stage you can't have it back. Enough people in the crowd agreed with
> me and helped me surge forward. So they let me that night, but now it's the
> new culture. You can't go back.

:(

anim8rfsk

Oct 29, 2017, 3:36:45 AM10/29/17
In article <yrfzbaqirevmbaar...@192.168.0.8>,
"Lesmond" <les...@verizon.net> wrote:

Google will use it against me.

chicagofan

Nov 1, 2017, 3:06:15 PM11/1/17
icebreaker wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Oct 2017 12:28:43 -0400, chicagofan <m...@privacy.net>
> wrote:
>
>> icebreaker wrote:
>>> Darrow and Darrow (HMM) -- Shenanigans surrounding a mother (Wendy
>>> Malick) and daughter (Kimberly Williams) law firm plus an assistant DA
>>> (Tom Cavanaugh) that's both a courtroom foe and a love interest. This
>>> is a new entry to Hallmark Movies & Mysteries carousel. The mom left
>>> the firm after her husband passed leaving the daughter alone. Now
>>> mom's back and wants back in.
>>>
>> Did you like it or find it passable?
>> bj
> It's a fluff show. It's mainly an 80s style show with some law and
> wave your hand investigation. It's watchable if you like Hallmark type
> things which I do for the most part.
>
> ---
> http://www.avg.com

Thanks! I watch a lot of crime procedurals and lighter Hallmark stuff
for a change. :)
bj