Y & R

Jennifer Meister

Nov 7, 1991, 1:38:40 PM11/7/91

Here is the update for Wednesday, November 6 or Thursday, November 7, depending
on where you live.

TRACEY/BRAD

Tracey is admiring herself in the mirror on the morning of her wedding while
John and Brad are downstairs talking about what will be going on at Jabot while
the bride and groom are on their honeymoon. John leaves the room and leaves
Brad alone.

Ashleigh walks in wearing her fur coat (how gauche, not even us Canadians
need to don the mink in November!). She and Brad exchange a few words like
Ashleigh's "why do you fluster me like this Bradley Carlton?" and Brad's
"I don't know but the feeling is definitely mutual". Brad hugs Ashleigh as
Tracey is walking down the stairs and of course, she sees them and heads back
upstairs without them noticing her.

CATHERINE/DINA/JILL/REX

These two ladies of Genoa City society are in Catherine's living room chatting
about how upset Jill is that Dina is back in town. Dina asks Catherine how
serious Jill and John are and Catherine replies by asking if Dina wants to
know if she might still have a chance with John. Dina just smiles. In the
meantime, Rex has been summoned to Jill's to be quized on what Dina's plan
is. Rex plays innocent.

NIKKI/JACK

Nikki goes to the bar to pour herself a drink but stops and says "I can't do
this". Jack comes downstairs and Nikki asks him what time they are leaving
for the wedding. Jack says "this should be a perfect day for my family" and
Nikki replies "it will be". Jack then asks Nikki how she can promise him
that and gives her a peptalk on how she'd better not spoil this day for
anybody and had better not embarase the Abbotts or herself. Jack then
makes the statement of the year (the writers' contracts must be up for
review): Jack (with tears in eyes) to Nikki: "You are zapping my strength,
eating away at my love".

TRACEY/MAMIE

The two are sharing a General Foods International Coffee-type
moment as Tracy gets ready for her wedding.

THE WEDDING

Guests:
Mamie: In a really nice red dress with a little jacket;
Dina: In a very classy navy (or black) dress with white satin accents and
pearls. around her neck. (Very appropriate for a mother of the bride);
John: smiling, happy daddy type in a tux;
Victor: In a tux (what else?);
Ashleigh: In a robin's egg blue (looks like velvet) knee-length dress. It has
shawl-shaped lapels and poofs out at the waist. It looks a little like
something Snow White would wear;
Jill: Words can't do justice to Jill's atire! A black two-piece dress with
coloured shapes on it. The piece de resistance to this outfit is a hat
which comes equipped with antenna-like objects which hit John in the face
periodically during the opening scene of the wedding;
Jack (arriving last): Tux;
Nikki: A very tight blue suit made of sort of a shiny material. (The Y and R
staff is really doing a good job at making Nikki look like an alcoholic. She's
put weight on and has huge black circles under her eyes.);
Brad: In a black tux, regular groom atire;
Tracey: Not bad in a pale blue dress, carrying a round bouquet of pink roses.

While chit-chatting in the lobby before the wedding Mamie calls Dina
"Mrs. Abbott" and Jill shoots her a look of disgust. As the guests are seating
themsleves Dina says to Jill: "the mother of the bride sits in the front pew".
Jill sits in the second one.

Mamie sings and then Ashleigh walks up the aisle, followed by John and Tracey.
John then goes and sits beside Dina in the front pew. Jill looks REALLY
miffed.

After the wedding, there is a small reception. The bride and groom dance.
Nikki is sipping her champagne and says to Jack, "don't you want to go and
wish your sister well? You don't have to babysit me." Jack goes off and
Nikki promptly asks the waiter to bring her a little drinkie. The waiter
brings it to her and Jack sees her sipping it, their eyes meet and Nikki
drops her glass, shattering it in pieces but nobody notices. Jack walks
over and grabs Nikki by the arm, saying "you're going home". They exchange
words about how Nikki hasn't done anything and she leaves. Jack spends
the rest of the evening explaining to his father and Victor that Nikki
wasn't feeling well.

Tracey throws her bouquet and guess who catches it? Their must be magnets
attached to the antennas on Jill's hat because she catches it, to which Dina
comments "accidents do happen". The bride and groom leave.

As the evening draws to a close, John says to Jill, I have to speak with
Dina about getting her home. Jill replies to this with "why don't you get
Jack to take her, I'm sure he wouldn't mind the detour and he would probably
like to spend time with his mother." John asks Jack who says sure and tells
his father he's in no rush to get home.

Please feel free to add anything I've left out. Darren and I will see you
next Wednesday!

Blanche R. Steppe

Nov 7, 1991, 1:05:00 PM11/7/91

to...@dmntor.UUCP (Toni Spurgeon) writes:

>Just got the Soap Opera Weekly... so here's more on what we
>can expect in the next week or so... We are a day ahead here in Toronto,
>so be on the look out for today's show (Tuesday)... Dina arrives!
>Traci is wearing the ugliest dress I've EVER SEEN! Ash is for
>some reason wearing red gloved with her quite nice outfit!
>Sheila is going to blow a gasket when she finds out what Lauren's done!
>A good show.

I agree that Traci was wearing an ugly dress. The designer must have paid
someone to have that dress on the show. Ditto on Ashley's red gloves.
Someone really goofed on that. I liked Nikki's pink outfit. I thought
that she might "take it all off" but Jack took her home too soon.

I love the way that Sheila calls Lauren a meddler. She stole Lauren's
baby but she doesn't like Lauren meddling in her life. She looks ready
to kill.

d...@ladybug.austin.ibm.com (Debbie Pelfrey) writes:

>I think the show got off to a real good start because all of the
>characters were 'young' and they attracted a new set of viewers.
>The other soaps at that time had been on for 20 years and their
>fans were of a different age. I guess the timing was right for Y&R.

Some of the characters were young but some were restless. Actually
some were both. There were other "young" soaps on at that time.
Y & R replaced another CBS soap at the time so most of us watched it.
It was a lunchtime "ritual" where I worked. All of the soaps have
fans of all ages.

>2. When one has a fancy hairdo, they all have fancy hairdo's.
> (Has anyone noticed Flo's and Dru's hairstyle is the same?)
> (Ashley & Jill, Nina & Cricket, Catherine & Mamie)

I have to disagree about the hairstyles. Dru has a natural hairstyle
which is usually back from her face. Flo's hair looks like a tangled
mop and she needs to brush it out of her face. I see no similarity in
the other hairstyles.

Michael

Nov 8, 1991, 8:16:47 AM11/8/91
In article <1991Nov7.1...@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU>,

b...@boole.acc.Virginia.EDU (Blanche R. Steppe) says:

> to...@dmntor.UUCP (Toni Spurgeon) writes:
>
>>Just got the Soap Opera Weekly... so here's more on what we
>>can expect in the next week or so... We are a day ahead here in Toronto,
>>so be on the look out for today's show (Tuesday)... Dina arrives!
>>Traci is wearing the ugliest dress I've EVER SEEN! Ash is for
>>some reason wearing red gloved with her quite nice outfit!
>>Sheila is going to blow a gasket when she finds out what Lauren's done!
>>A good show.
>
>I agree that Traci was wearing an ugly dress. The designer must have paid
>someone to have that dress on the show. Ditto on Ashley's red gloves.
>Someone really goofed on that. I liked Nikki's pink outfit. I thought
>that she might "take it all off" but Jack took her home too soon.

I was surprised to see virtually no discussion of Ashley's bridesmaid's
dress. We thought "oh--she hasn't changed out of her bathrobe yet"--and
then she walked down the aisle in it!

What was that color? Was the dress velour? WHY did Traci wear a grey
wedding dress? Why was that dress as ugly as the dress she wore the night
before (BREAST CONES!!!). Those red gloves on Ashley weren't hot either.
I didn't care much for Nikki's "premarital dinner" outfit either--both the
straps and wrap kept falling off her.

Some other things: I though Jill & Dina looked resplendent at the rehearsal
dinner--truly lovely. Dina was also the picture of appropriate elegance
at the wedding proper. I was less impressed, of course, with Jill's
wedding outfit. That woman's HATS!

Did anyone catch Nikki snoozing at the wedding? What a hoot. I have to
say that the angry public dialogue between Jack & Nikki really rang true
to me--this storyline is finally grabbing me and seeming interesting. I
finally feel like Jack & Nikki have the dynamics right.

A few more questions: Anyone have the feeling that Terry Lester might
have played Jack as more publically boisterous, using his loud mirth
to try to cover for Nikki? And why are Jack & Brad so friendly--this
seems unprecedented. And why weren't Nicholas & Victoria invited? I mean,
they are the stepchildren of two of the Abbott kids--shouldn't they have
been there, or are stepkids not "real" family members?

Mike

mo...@uga.edu

Nov 8, 1991, 10:18:48 AM11/8/91
In article <91312.0...@psuvm.psu.edu> M...@psuvm.psu.edu (Michael) writes:
>In article <1991Nov7.1...@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU>,
>b...@boole.acc.Virginia.EDU (Blanche R. Steppe) says:
>I was surprised to see virtually no discussion of Ashley's bridesmaid's
>dress. We thought "oh--she hasn't changed out of her bathrobe yet"--and
>then she walked down the aisle in it!
>
>What was that color? Was the dress velour?

>Mike

Oh!! agree with you. That was the ugliest dress I have ever seen. What is
happening with this show's designer...

BTW, thanks for that detailed history about Dina. I started watching Y&R only
in 1989.

Molly

Glynda Jones Davis

Nov 8, 1991, 3:50:08 PM11/8/91
In article <1991Nov7.1...@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU> b...@boole.acc.Virginia.EDU (Blanche R. Steppe) writes:

> to...@dmntor.UUCP (Toni Spurgeon) writes:
>
>I love the way that Sheila calls Lauren a meddler. She stole Lauren's
>baby but she doesn't like Lauren meddling in her life. She looks ready
>to kill.

She can't purse her lips any tighter without
ripping every muscle in her face!

Glynda Jones Davis |Education is an admirable thing, but it is well
jon...@ecn.purdue.edu |to remember from time to time that nothing that
|is worth knowing can be taught. -Oscar Wilde

K.A. Long

Nov 8, 1991, 9:22:29 PM11/8/91

Jen,

Great update! Loved all the funny descriptions-especially the
antennas on Jill's hat. They always make her look so tacky.

kl...@noc.sura.net

K.A. Long

Nov 8, 1991, 9:32:41 PM11/8/91
In article <91312.0...@psuvm.psu.edu> M...@psuvm.psu.edu (Michael) writes:
>A few more questions: Anyone have the feeling that Terry Lester might
>have played Jack as more publically boisterous, using his loud mirth
>to try to cover for Nikki? And why are Jack & Brad so friendly--this
>seems unprecedented. And why weren't Nicholas & Victoria invited? I mean,
>they are the stepchildren of two of the Abbott kids--shouldn't they have
>been there, or are stepkids not "real" family members?
>
>Mike

I wonder about the Jack and Brad thing, too. I think Jack is just
playing his cards close to his chest. The thing about "real" family
members is pretty sad. Too bad the writers overlooked that aspect
of the marriages. Kids are always a part of the weddings I've ever
been to.

kl...@noc.sura.net